Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Miss You, by the .... Foo Fighters, last night
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 9, 2014 15:16

Palace Revolution 2000
...Have all their releases. But I just can not stand this band...

So you always collect entire catalogs of bands that you can't stand?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2014 15:33

I got a copy of the new album (don't ask how). Its really, really good.smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 9, 2014 16:06

Don't care much for Grohl but last night I listened for th 1st time in XX years (18?) the song "I'll Stick Around" and it was ok, not great but ok.

If I were 16 I'm sure the Fighters would be on my top-10 list.
My 2 cents...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 16:07 by dcba.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 9, 2014 17:40

LeonidP
Pietro
LeonidP
Foo Fighters cover Miss You last night (this morning, actually), live at the Cubby Bear, Chicago:

[www.youtube.com]

Not too shabby!

Not too shappy? That sucked! And what kind of performer drinks out of a plastic cup in the middle of a song?

"Miss You" relies on the harmonica and sax for much of its magic, not to mention somebody who can really sing.

Dave Grohl is an overgrown grunge teddybear. Just awful!

You made it too easy, Pietro:
1) It is much better than the Stones have played it recently ... and as pointed out by others, it has that '78/'81 vibe of how the Stones used to play it. This is far superior to nowadays when all the guitars get drowned out by the horns.
2) Never been to a show? I think every one i've been to I've seen a performer take a drink in the middle of a song.
3) The magic of Miss You is in the bass and guitars, I think most would agree - they captured that here.
4) Someone who can sing? Really? Granted Mick can still bring it in the studio, but does Mick really sing on stage anymore? Not really, he basically shouts.

You may be the most sane and truly objective person on here. A voice of reason Leonid.

Date: November 11, 2014 03:07

buffalo7478
LeonidP
Pietro
LeonidP
Foo Fighters cover Miss You last night (this morning, actually), live at the Cubby Bear, Chicago:

[www.youtube.com]

Not too shabby!

Not too shappy? That sucked! And what kind of performer drinks out of a plastic cup in the middle of a song?

"Miss You" relies on the harmonica and sax for much of its magic, not to mention somebody who can really sing.

1) It is much better than the Stones have played it recently ... and as pointed out by others, it has that '78/'81 vibe of how the Stones used to play it. This is far superior to nowadays when all the guitars get drowned out by the horns.
2) Never been to a show? I think every one i've been to I've seen a performer take a drink in the middle of a song.
3) The magic of Miss You is in the bass and guitars, I think most would agree - they captured that here.
4) Someone who can sing? Really? Granted Mick can still bring it in the studio, but does Mick really sing on stage anymore? Not really, he basically shouts.

You may be the most sane and truly objective person on here. A voice of reason Leonid.

Thanks Buffalo, but I can't take credit for being objective ... I am a huge Foo Fighters fan. I certainly don't mind that others don't like them but can't stand the BS comments - certainly its minimally a credible cover, whether you like them or not. I (and some others apparently) think they did a great job on it.

Why do I love Foos so much? I do love the songs, of course, but it's also Grohl that I find amazing. I've been following him since Nirvana. He isn't a great singer, isn't the best writer, but yet he still comes up with amazing catchy songs and delivers them with an incredible intensity.

And he has such an amazing love & passion for music that has stayed with him for over 30 years. It's something I miss greatly from the Stones, they haven't seem to have this passion for over 35 years. Grohls love of musical history and his tributes to his heroes reminds me a bit of the Stones in the early days, when they were covering their favorite Blues and Rock artists.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 11, 2014 09:52

LeonidP
Pietro
LeonidP

[www.youtube.com]

Not too shabby!

I made it easy for you, Leonid? What are you, the Stones guru to whom people come to ask questions, some easy and some hard? I have to climb to the top of the mountain to drink at the font of your wisdom? And you dispense answers to seekers of Stones truth, one at a time, from your store of Stones wisdom?

I'll make it easy for you, Leonid. You don't know a glorified lounge act when you see one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-11 21:40 by Pietro.

Date: November 12, 2014 06:20

Pietro
LeonidP
Pietro
LeonidP

[www.youtube.com]

Not too shabby!

I made it easy for you, Leonid? What are you, the Stones guru to whom people come to ask questions, some easy and some hard? I have to climb to the top of the mountain to drink at the font of your wisdom? And you dispense answers to seekers of Stones truth, one at a time, from your store of Stones wisdom?....

that about sums it up

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 12, 2014 14:10

Terrible. Even compared to recent versions by the Stones. Actually, the version they played at DC was fantastic! Grohl is an awful front man. He is a great drummer, nice guy, and a big fan, but the mans voice sucks, and he has no charisma needed for a front man. He should stick to the drums. Foo Fighters have never done it for me, they sound like plastic corporate rock, safe, plastic, and boring.

Date: December 7, 2014 11:21

Most of the FF are pretty good musicians, and I think that Grohl has it in him to be a better songwriter anbd singer.
That said I think the episodes of the HBO series were topnotch. The sequencing of the show made a lot of sense and seemed to keep escalating. DC, Seattle, New orleans, Nashville, New York were great storytelling; deep research.
I got to where I dreaded the "summing up" in a song by Grohl at episode end, but even the songs got better as the show progressed. "Subtarranean" amd "I Am A River" were real good. FF are best when they are restrained.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home