Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones official catalogue - the Sixties
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 16, 2014 17:29

In May I began a listening program of all of my official cds from AC/DC to ZZ Top. With many artists I have complete catalogues. So I worked my way through the entire Stones catalogue but the thing I realized is I much prefer the way the Stones sixties catalogue was released in England. The Rolling Stones No. 2 is better than any configuration of those songs put out elsewhere and this goes double for Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath and Between The Buttons in their UK versions versus the American versions. Obviously you need the EPs and the Singles Collection to augment the albums but I have the first EP, the Five By Five EP and the original Got Live If You Want It EP from the releases that came out years ago.

The American releases therefore became problematic and I basically retired them. It always bugged me that songs from the Got Live If You Want It EP were put out as album tracks on US albums. The Beatles basically retired their American albums when releasing the material on CD and all you can get are the original British albums plus the Past Masters CDs for the singles. I think that was a great move.

As regards to the Stones sixties catalogue, any views on this?

Re: Stones official catalogue - the Sixties
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:02

Essential albums for the 60's catalog to me : The Rolling Stones (first UK album), The Rolling Stones No. 2, Out Of Our Heads (UK version), Aftermath (UK version), Between The Buttons (UK version), Their Stanic Majesties Request, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-ya's Out!, The Rolling Stones EP, Five by Five EP, Got Live If You Want It EP, Singles collection (aka The London Years) + Live 1965 (Charlie is my darling soundtrack) + Metamorphosis and Flowers for the studio outtakes...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:11

I never listen to the US albums.I own them but they look good on the shelf. Sadly they didn`t re-release the 2nd album.

Date: October 16, 2014 18:14

hockenheim95
I never listen to the US albums.I own them but they look good on the shelf. Sadly they didn`t re-release the 2nd album.

What do you mean?

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:26

kowalski
Essential albums for the 60's catalog to me : The Rolling Stones (first UK album), The Rolling Stones No. 2, Out Of Our Heads (UK version), Aftermath (UK version), Between The Buttons (UK version), Their Stanic Majesties Request, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-ya's Out!, The Rolling Stones EP, Five by Five EP, Got Live If You Want It EP, Singles collection (aka The London Years) + Live 1965 (Charlie is my darling soundtrack) + Metamorphosis and Flowers for the studio outtakes...

I have Flowers but it is now hidden from the rest of the collection mainly because I don't ever want to hear that version of My Girl again

Date: October 16, 2014 18:51

DandelionPowderman
hockenheim95

What do you mean?

the rolling stones no. 2 is not available in stores. at least here in Germany.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 16, 2014 19:02

hockenheim95
DandelionPowderman
hockenheim95

What do you mean?

It's available as download : [www.qobuz.com]

Date: October 16, 2014 19:02

hockenheim95
DandelionPowderman
hockenheim95

What do you mean?

You mean vinyl and cds, right? Was the last release from 2006?

Date: October 16, 2014 19:12

They didn`t even release it in 2002. I think the last release is from the 80s. Yes, I mean CD and vinyl. does anybody know where to get it on CD for a reasonable price? ebay is too expensive. on Amazon it is only available for download.

Date: October 16, 2014 19:17

hockenheim95
They didn`t even release it in 2002. I think the last release is from the 80s. Yes, I mean CD and vinyl. does anybody know where to get it on CD for a reasonable price? ebay is too expensive. on Amazon it is only available for download.

CD: £79
Vinyl: £34

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-16 19:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 17, 2014 00:35

This is a coincidence, i was going to start a thread regarding the stones 1960,s discography, to discover what albums i need to buy to get the complete studio song collection. What i found is that you need some sort of degree in patience and mathematics.

I was surprised to find i needed in excess of 27 songs, and found buying "the singles collection, the london years would net me 13 of these. Also i still havent got the cd version of english releases "the rolling stones" and "the rolling stones no 2" although i do have "12 times 5" and "decembers children", so getting these would leave me with 1 studio song to buy which is "one more try" and i can get that if i buy the US version of "out of our heads".

Trying to collect this info took me 3 hours, thats why i put it off for so long. Now i just have to go into amazon.co.uk and see if i can get these at knockdown prices.

The stones certainly know how to complicate thier complete work.

so to get the complete catalogue of the 60,s would require all 8 uk studio albums, US version of "out of our heads", "decembers children", "12 times 5", "flowers", "metamorphosis","fazed cookies" "the singles, the london years", and two live albums "got live if you want it" and "get yer ya yas out" also "rock,n roll circus"

if ive missed anything hope to be corrected.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 17, 2014 00:42

The Stones 60s catalogue was stranger than the Beatles because there a number of songs not released here in the States until 1973 at the earliest. We never heard Come On, Money, Poison Ivy, What To Do, and more. And I agree that in general the UK versions are better but I think there were instances where we at least got the big singles on an album, instead of on a 45 only.

As for the Beatles, there are some great U.S. versions. Meet The Beatles is a classic. And the American Rubber Soul is a whole different concept. The American version is virtually the first Unplugged Album. There's hardly any electric guitars at all.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 17, 2014 00:59

buttons67, what you are doing reminds me of what I did in the early 80's when I started my Stones hobby. I also took the UK albums as a starting point, and then picked up the needed US albums that had some 'odd' number the UK ones didn't have. But you know, even somehow making of sense of that UK/US catalogue was the first obstacle in the way. Usually the sources that listed Stones albums, gave another, but not both. Very confusing. Without net it surely took more like three months than three hours to sort it all out! grinning smiley

Collecting Stones songs was like collecting stamps - I loved every minute!

- Doxa

Date: October 17, 2014 01:12

24FPS
The Stones 60s catalogue was stranger than the Beatles because there a number of songs not released here in the States until 1973 at the earliest. We never heard Come On, Money, Poison Ivy, What To Do, and more.

But it was mutual; the British didn't have songs like "One More Try", "Congratulations", "Singer Not the Song", "Look What You've Done", "Ride On Baby", "My Girl", "the whole GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! album etc. until the 70's... Even such a gem like "Sittin On A Fence" was not released until in THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY collection, two years after its US release.

- Doxa

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 17, 2014 03:14

It is important to remember the different ways England and USA looked upon making their records. In England it was singles, EP's and albums - without any repetition of tracks on those formats. In the USA the singles were made as a selling point of marketing albums, so those tracks got repeated.
So it was a matter of different marketing strategies on both sides of the atlantic.

The Stones did constantly record when they could find the time, either in England or in the States. There was no planned 'album' sessions until they began to make Aftermath, so as a result the albums No. 2, Now!, both versions of Out Of Our Heads and December's Children, was a hotch-potch of different tracks made at different times and recorded in different studios.
Each release was typically highlighted by tracks they had recorded at their latest session, combined with what was available and had not yet been released in the specific market.

The big difference, however, from The Beatles, is that Oldham & The Stones made the tracklists for both the US and the UK albums, whereas The Beatles had no say on their US releases. In other words, the US catalog is every bit as 'authentic' as the UK catalog. What each prefer, is another story.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 17, 2014 04:59

Doxa
24FPS
The Stones 60s catalogue was stranger than the Beatles because there a number of songs not released here in the States until 1973 at the earliest. We never heard Come On, Money, Poison Ivy, What To Do, and more.

But it was mutual; the British didn't have songs like "One More Try", "Congratulations", "Singer Not the Song", "Look What You've Done", "Ride On Baby", "My Girl", "the whole GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! album etc. until the 70's... Even such a gem like "Sittin On A Fence" was not released until in THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY collection, two years after its US release.

- Doxa

And, Through The Past Darkly has a UK and an American version. The American version is nothing but singles. I'm assuming this is the last time the UK and American versions differed.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 17, 2014 08:59

Doxa

- Doxa

We had "The Singer Not The Song" on the b-side of "Get Off Of My Cloud".
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 17, 2014 09:58

stewedandkeefed
In May I began a listening program of all of my official cds from AC/DC to ZZ Top. With many artists I have complete catalogues. So I worked my way through the entire Stones catalogue but the thing I realized is I much prefer the way the Stones sixties catalogue was released in England. The Rolling Stones No. 2 is better than any configuration of those songs put out elsewhere and this goes double for Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath and Between The Buttons in their UK versions versus the American versions. Obviously you need the EPs and the Singles Collection to augment the albums but I have the first EP, the Five By Five EP and the original Got Live If You Want It EP from the releases that came out years ago.

The American releases therefore became problematic and I basically retired them. It always bugged me that songs from the Got Live If You Want It EP were put out as album tracks on US albums. The Beatles basically retired their American albums when releasing the material on CD and all you can get are the original British albums plus the Past Masters CDs for the singles. I think that was a great move.

As regards to the Stones sixties catalogue, any views on this?

Yes, the Stones album ' Out of our Heads ' sold in Sweden in 1965 was the US Edition ... it just happened with that particular album, otherwise it was always UK Edition..pretty strange...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 17, 2014 10:01

Doxa
buttons67, what you are doing reminds me of what I did in the early 80's when I started my Stones hobby. I also took the UK albums as a starting point, and then picked up the needed US albums that had some 'odd' number the UK ones didn't have. But you know, even somehow making of sense of that UK/US catalogue was the first obstacle in the way. Usually the sources that listed Stones albums, gave another, but not both. Very confusing. Without net it surely took more like three months than three hours to sort it all out! grinning smiley

Collecting Stones songs was like collecting stamps - I loved every minute!

- Doxa

same here, but in 1972. I was 18. No internet. I had had, by then, some singles, No 2, Aftermath, Buttons, Beggars, LIB, got live (lp and ep), YaYa's. And I decided to have EVERYTHING. So I studied books and songbooks (not many available then in Switzerland). I went to record shops, with pen and paper, and finally knew what I needed. So I made an order at Bro Records in Zurich, and received a huge box full of beautiful vinyl. Those were the days ...

Later, finally in the time of the WWW, I learned that I still missed out on several tracks, alternate versions, long/short versions etc ...

That's fixed, now, in fact it's a gas

resotele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-17 11:51 by resotele.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 17, 2014 10:15

Come On
Yes, the Stones album ' Out of our Heads ' sold in Sweden in 1965 was the US Edition ... it just happened with that particular album, otherwise it was always UK Edition..pretty strange...

Maybe you simply got what came out first. With Out of Our Heads it was the US version.
The Stones were on tour in the US at the time, and the US version has a good claim to being the "real one".

Some people think the band dictated what was on the UK versions but not the US versions.
I doubt it. The marketing was simply different in the two countries. It's all good.

Date: October 17, 2014 10:51

24FPS
Doxa
24FPS

- Doxa

And, Through The Past Darkly has a UK and an American version. The American version is nothing but singles. I'm assuming this is the last time the UK and American versions differed.

Yeah, because I don't have Sitting On A Fence on my copy of Through The Past Darkly smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 17, 2014 11:10

The Stones were on tour in the US at the time, and the US version has a good claim to being the "real one".

Yes I think so too. It was probably Decca who ruled and lined ... the English Edition also existed but it was considerably restricted in the sale and I bought it far later ...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 17, 2014 11:26

Deltics
Doxa

- Doxa

We had "The Singer Not The Song" on the b-side of "Get Off Of My Cloud".
[www.45cat.com]

Okay! My memory makes tricks... Probably because I remember buying DECEMBERS CHILDREN to get that one (and if memory serves - mostly doesn't - Keith Richards once said something to the effect that they released some songs in America that wouldn't have nerve to do in England, and mentioned that one)

- Doxa

Date: October 17, 2014 11:44

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Doxa
24FPS

- Doxa

Yeah, because I don't have Sitting On A Fence on my copy of Through The Past Darkly smiling smiley

Probably including "Sittin' On A Fence" into UK edition was an early sign of marketing strategy taking the hardcore fan section into account - let's put there some not yet released stuff...

Anyway, both HIGH TIDE & GREEN GRASS and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY differ dramatically of their UK & US editions. Especially the UK ones were essential ones, almost like original albums to have the single hits the albums didn't include. After HOT ROCKS and ROLLED GOLD those albums lost some of their historical significance, but I think both of them still belong to the 'official' 60's story of the band in a way not another collection does.

- Doxa

Date: October 17, 2014 11:50

resotele

Later, finally in the time of the WWW, I learned that I still missed out on several tracks, alternate versions, long/short versions etc ...

resotele

Hehe.. I just found, about a year ago or something here at IORR that there exists alternate version of "Tell Me", released due to some mistake in early pressings of their UK debut album... And it's not the first time I realized that my account and collection of the Stones catalogue is not so definitive that I once thought... You live and learn..

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 17, 2014 13:23

Which version of Everybody needs somebody to love is in No2?

The version of Now US or the one in More Hot rocks?

Based on the link Kowalski posted above, I'd say Hot Rocks

Correct?

C

Date: October 17, 2014 13:28

liddas

Correct?

C

Yep, the More Hot Rocks-version (5:03).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 17, 2014 13:40

DandelionPowderman
liddas

Correct?

C

Yep, the More Hot Rocks-version (5:03).

Thanks.

Just made my No. 2 play list on Itunes.

I never realized before what a great LP No. 2 was!!!

C

Date: October 17, 2014 13:54

Indeed it is!

This edition is also cool.

Date: October 17, 2014 16:14

Interesting edition of NO 2. Funnily, I have an edition of debut album that has the same picture on the back side.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home