Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Second Sax (what is this about?)
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 14, 2014 22:49

No matter what you all think, but Bobby is truly a pillar of this band!

Very simply, he cannot be replaced.

C

Date: October 14, 2014 22:55

Sax, drugs & rock'n'roll

MICHAEL DWYER The West Australian
October 14, 2014, 7:59 am

When it comes to rock'n'roll decadence, it's hard to decide which image of Bobby Keys is most definitive. One legendary bathtub of Dom Perignon so incensed Mick Jagger, the story goes, that Keys was suspended from the Rolling Stones for 10 years.

Then there was the time he and Keith Richards were threatened with arrest at Perth airport in 1973. According to Richards' book, Life, a couple of "outrageous Aussie Sheilas" they'd picked up in Adelaide had made quite a sensation emerging from the toilets topless during the flight.

When all the war stories are pulp and hearsay, however, on any day the sound of the big Texan's horn will still be blasting from some car radio speaker more times than Keef lights a fag.

"It doesn't matter how many times I've played Brown Sugar, I never get tired of playing it," says the de facto Stone of the past 45 years, before the band rolls into Australia later this month on their rescheduled 14 on Fire tour.

"Whenever I'm doing a concert with those cats, it's not like I'm going through the motions. They are about going out there and delivering on every song. You better damn well commit to doing it good or you won't be doing it again."

Keys' signature sax riffs began to embellish the Stones' recordings during their peerless Exile to Sticky Fingers era but he sealed his fate as a rock'n'roller 15 years earlier when he stumbled into Buddy Holly's parents' garage as a young kid in Lubbock, Texas.

Before he was old enough to drink, Keys had played the immortal riffs on Dion's The Wanderer and Elvis' Return to Sender. His resume is vast but, since hooking up with Richards for TV-tossing and other recreational activities, sometimes blurry.

He fondly recalls turning up at the Record Plant in New York one night to blow the scene-stealing solo on John Lennon's Whatever Gets You Thru the Night. Sessions with George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Joe Cocker, Eric Clapton and plenty more followed.

But he's damned if he can remember Paul McCartney being present at that impromptu Lennon and Stevie Wonder jam in LA in 1974. It would go down in bootleg history as the last time the former Beatles played together on tape. But history, for some, is long.

"When I talk about rock'n'roll, to me, that goes back to the beginning of the 1950s," Keys explains. "Blue suede shoes and sideburns, man. Pink and black coloured clothes. Turn your collar up, comb your hair in ducktails. And the music was cool. It was a whole culture then, a different world."

He's literally watched that world change from over Jagger's shoulder, from the marginal subculture of 50s and 60s teenagers to the mainstream juggernaut the Stones pioneered with the stadium rush of the 70s and beyond.

"Stadiums are necessary for a band like the Stones to be able to go there in the first place. That's just testimony to their popularity," Keys says. Even if his liver was still up to it, he adds, the sheer dimension of the operation would leave no room for the Dom Perignon craziness of the 70s.

"The most trouble I get into these days is crossing the road in front of the hotel," he says.

"It's pretty scripted on the road; very organised and compartmentalised and that's the way it has to be with so many people involved in a Stones tour. It's quite a bit different to when I first joined the band and there were only two security guys.

"But I'm not complaining. The music is still good, the cheques still cash and I still enjoy playing."

[au.news.yahoo.com]

Re: Karl Denson to tour with The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 14, 2014 23:11

My band, the Amazing Mongooses, got to play this past May at the Rooster Walk Festival in Virginia, which was headlined by Karl Denson's Tiny Universe.

So, does this mean the Amazing Mongooses now have two degrees of separation from the Rolling Stones?

I'm just sayin'......

cool smiley

Fantastic player, and a killer band. He'll add a lot to the Stones on stage.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:16

liddas
No matter what you all think, but Bobby is truly a pillar of this band!

Very simply, he cannot be replaced.

C
smileys with beer

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:33

If they then could use the sax for fx playing Slave that would be great, a big step forward

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 15, 2014 02:19

mtaylor
If they then could use the sax for fx playing Slave that would be great, a big step forward

Or we'll finally get that 18 minute version of Miss You we've all been waiting for...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 15, 2014 02:55

Strange indeed, it's not like Bobby plays on that many tunes anyway, i.e. he can catch his breath. I suppose there's a good reason to bring this new guy on board. Can't be to beef up the sound and the money's always tight, wasn't it Chuck who claimed to have made Mick happy when he hired Tim Ries who could be on horns and help out on keyboards if need be (i.e. get rid of Matt)?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 15, 2014 03:12

gotdablouse
Strange indeed, it's not like Bobby plays on that many tunes anyway, i.e. he can catch his breath. I suppose there's a good reason to bring this new guy on board. Can't be to beef up the sound and the money's always tight, wasn't it Chuck who claimed to have made Mick happy when he hired Tim Ries who could be on horns and help out on keyboards if need be (i.e. get rid of Matt)?

Get rid of Matt? In any case he is back on board. He playes both keyboards and french horn on this tour.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 15, 2014 03:16

and doesn't Matt C organise the choirs

Date: October 15, 2014 04:07

Here's an educated long shot guess. Perhaps Matt and Tim will be handling the keyboard role for a few shows so Chuck can attend the final performances of The Allman Brothers in NYC, Oct. 24th till the 28th. Chuck has been inducted as an Allman in the rock and roll hall of fame and was a huge part of the band while a member, it's not impossible that The Glimmers would show this courtesy.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 15, 2014 06:24

DoomandGloom
Here's an educated long shot guess. Perhaps Matt and Tim will be handling the keyboard role for a few shows so Chuck can attend the final performances of The Allman Brothers in NYC, Oct. 24th till the 28th. Chuck has been inducted as an Allman in the rock and roll hall of fame and was a huge part of the band while a member, it's not impossible that The Glimmers would show this courtesy.

That would be really cool if that ends up being the case.
Those Allmans shows are the end of a majestic era.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: October 15, 2014 06:44

DoomandGloom

That theory seems to be invalidated by the tourschedule published on Chuck Leavell's website.
Nice try, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 06:44 by Chacal.

Date: October 15, 2014 09:43

Chacal
DoomandGloom

That theory seems to be invalidated by the tourschedule published on Chuck Leavell's website.
Nice try, though.
perhaps it's a recent decision...

Date: October 15, 2014 09:45

andrewt
DoomandGloom

That would be really cool if that ends up being the case.
Those Allmans shows are the end of a majestic era.
yes I'm pretty close to scoring a ticket..

Date: October 15, 2014 10:03

Blueranger
gotdablouse

Get rid of Matt? In any case he is back on board. He playes both keyboards and french horn on this tour.

Err...that would have been in 1994 obviously !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 15, 2014 10:26

DoomandGloom

Not a bad guess at all!

EDIT: Get well, Bobby!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 12:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 15, 2014 11:12

gotdablouse
Blueranger
gotdablouse

Err...that would have been in 1994 obviously !

But Tim Ries didn't join until 1999

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 15, 2014 11:38

Keys not well so not taking part of next part of the tour according to stones Twitter account.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 11:42 by Paul Kersey.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 15, 2014 11:45

Paul Kersey
Keys not well so not taking part of next part of the tour according to stones Twitter account.

Due to being a bit under the weather, Bobby Keys will not be joining the Stones on the Australian and NZ tour dates...
4:36 p.m. Wed, Oct 15

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 15, 2014 11:47

Paul Kersey
Keys not well

That's sad news.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: October 15, 2014 11:51

Bobby sat out the last sydney show, and the sax solo in brown Sugar was laughable. I think Tim played it. He's just got that certain something that no one else does.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 15, 2014 11:59

The same info on Facebook, plus
Bobby is under doctor's orders to take it a bit easy for the next month and hopes to see everyone soon.

Date: October 15, 2014 12:01

Very sad...

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: October 15, 2014 12:05

Hopefully it's not too serious and he gets well soon

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: October 15, 2014 13:54

I had a feeling when they announced the new guy, it was due to his health. Hope he will recover enough for the South America tour. The Stones without Bobby...well, he will be missed. He is a part of the fabric we call The Rolling Stones. At the same time, so where Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Ian Mclagan, Blondie and many others. I guess the show must go on. Best wishes and a speedy recovery!

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: October 15, 2014 15:17

Fantastically articulated deep purple..

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 15, 2014 16:14

I figured ill health. Get well Bobby! And good stroke of luck for Karl Denson and opportunity to make good money and enhance his rep when he returns to his modest gigs. This will help his future paydays being billed as "Played with the Rolling Stones"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 16:17 by triceratops.

Date: October 15, 2014 16:26

Bad news, Bobby didn't look well at all in Paris...get well!

@hockenheim95 - looks like you caught Chuck with his pants off, I'm sure there's an explanation that makes sense ;-)

--------------

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 15, 2014 17:36

Sad to hear - get well Bobby

Bobby Keys out for this part of the tour !
Posted by: rastakeith ()
Date: October 15, 2014 12:56

From the Stones Facebook page: "Due to being a bit under the weather, Bobby Keys will not be joining the Stones on the Australian and NZ tour dates. Bobby is under doctor's orders to take it a bit easy for the next month and hopes to see everyone soon."

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home