Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones back in the studio after Oz/NZ?
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 16, 2014 14:39

doitywoik
Keith made similar remarks in an interview with the German news magazine "Der Spiegel" (Sept. 15th 2014, Der Spiegel 38/2014) when promoting Gus&Me but somehow he sounds less enthusiastic than usual (no "keep the ball rolling" or the like). Funny no-one mentioned this one so far. Here's the relevant part of the interview:

SPIEGEL: Sie haben mit Jagger über 200 Songs geschrieben, aber in den vergangenen 20 Jahren kam nicht viel. Wäre es nicht Zeit, ein paar neue Melodien zu erfinden?

Richards: Man setzt sich nicht einfach hin und schreibt einen Song. Songs kommen aus dem Leben. Man hört, wie jemand etwas auf der Straße sagt, es mag ein völlig seltsamer Spruch sein, aber man spürt, hey, da ist irgendwo ein Song versteckt.

SPIEGEL: Klingt gut, nur hinsetzen werden Sie sich mit Jagger schon müssen, wenn Sie am Ende ein paar Songs haben wollen.

Richards: Wir haben Pläne, das zu tun. Aber während einer Welttournee, wie gerade, ist es ein wenig schwierig. Zuletzt in Europa haben wir eine paar Ideen zusammengetragen. Ich weiß nicht, wann wir Zeit haben werden, ins Studio zu gehen, aber wir werden daran arbeiten.

[rough translation:

SPIEGEL: "You wrote more than 200 songs together with Mick Jagger but in the last 20 years nothing much came (from you guys). Wouldn't it be about time to invent a couple of new tunes?"

KR: "You don't simply sit down and write a song. Songs come from life. You hear someone say something in the street, might be something totally strange but you feel, hey, there's a song hidden somewhere in there!"

SPIEGEL: "Sounds good but still you will have to sit down with Jagger if you want to end up with a couple of songs!"

KR: "We have plans to do that. But during a world tour like now it's a bit difficult. Lately in Europe we brought together a couple of ideas. I don't know when we will have time to go into the studio but we will work on it."]

(edit: typo corrected)

If you start by blaming them for not delivering much over the last 20 years and suggesting it's about time to get some songs out, the reaction you get might be 'less enthusiastic than usual'.

Date: October 16, 2014 14:40

Back to the rehearsal studio...

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 21:48

The real point is:for the SF Deluxe or for a new album/EP?!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 16, 2014 22:38

No Brainer, SF Deluxe. You get fairly untouched gems plus other cuts from the SF era that would need a dress up.

I also like the idea of "Tattoo 2", a mix of older cuts brought to life plus brand new songs.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: October 17, 2014 15:49

Ben Waters just moved his Christmas concert from before to after Christmas "DUE TO ME GETTING A REALLY BIG RECORDING SESSION WHICH IS VERY EXCITING "

He was the pianist for the london rehearsals a couple of years ago - long shot, but you never know....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 17, 2014 16:09

I prefer that both Bill and Taylor plays on this album for now @#$%&, we want a little rock 'n' roll for the ears.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 18, 2014 17:28

thecitadel
Ben Waters just moved his Christmas concert from before to after Christmas "DUE TO ME GETTING A REALLY BIG RECORDING SESSION WHICH IS VERY EXCITING "

He was the pianist for the london rehearsals a couple of years ago - long shot, but you never know....

I hope the session is for a new Stones-album. Of course I look forward to the SF- and TY-deluxe too (and GHS-deluxe? - and the Scarlet-track?), but a new album tops that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-18 17:31 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 18, 2014 22:43

thecitadel

yeah, that's suspiciously good news. what other band would make you sign a non disclosure agreement?

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 19, 2014 02:27

Sketchy as it is, best lead in years, from the man. Let it be so.

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: October 19, 2014 22:33

Interestingly Ben Waters has blanked out the whole of July and August 2015 from his gig diary - unheard of for him!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 19, 2014 23:01

thecitadel

What were these "London Rehearsals", the stuff they did as part of "Crossfire Hurricane" that ended up not getting used? For some reason I thought that had taken place in America.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 19, 2014 23:32

I wonder if they would want to use them - was keith yet up to scratch then ?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 20, 2014 00:03

gotdablouse
thecitadel

What were these "London Rehearsals", the stuff they did as part of "Crossfire Hurricane" that ended up not getting used?

No, Keith's December 2011 "jam session" in London. - [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 20, 2014 00:20

gotdablouse
Don't remember Keith saying that, but Ronnie definitely did after a dinner with Mick before they started recording B2B in LA. He claimed Mick had told him that the Stones would be releasing a new album every 18 months because they were running out of time...

To his credit there were plans to release a 2 CD album called "Memory Hotel" in May 1999 (announced on IORR [www.iorr.org] on 21/05/1999 with a 30/05/1999 release date then "delayed" [www.iorr.org]) but it got pulled with no tracklist ever leaking oddly enough. Maybe "Dreamer" could tell us more about it since she was still working for the Stones at the time I think.

An album every 18 months...I have my doubts RW believed it himself smoking smiley
Never heard anything again about "Memory Hotel" after it was mentioned here. I don't know Mick's plans about the tracks that would be on that album (if those plans were real) and I don't know if they would return to the studio for recording any new stuff.
Maybe they could do some work on stuff that was supposed to be on Memory Hotel and/or other material (Sticky Fingers) that's already there but new stuff? I don't think so...
On the other hand they surprised me before a couple of times so who knows MJ is carrying some good stuff that will surprise us all. There are signs to support that theory of course but the evidence for not releasing anything new is also strong and BW's agenda isn't the strongest clue for recording a new album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 20, 2014 04:29

Which every 18 months? What a joke!

Date: October 20, 2014 17:34

That was back in 1997...

@bye bye johnny - thanks, I remember these "Keith sessions" now, didn't know Ben Waters had been involved though, didn't Bill pop in too?

@dreamer - thanks for sharing your thoughts, I wonder if we'll ever get the low down on that mysterious purported 1999 "Memory Hotel" release...next IORRian who bumps into Mick should ask him, hehe ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 20, 2014 19:17

It looks like a hard work for Mick and Keith to write 10 songs, about 35 minutes of music every 3-4 years. One studio album in 17 years and counting... Unbelievable... back then (1997) they were talking about studio albums every 18-24 months, very natural after the short gap of 3 years between VL and B2B...

Date: October 21, 2014 19:55

I've written about it before but I think something "snapped" when they realized in 1999 that they could keep on touring, in more lucrative arenas on top of that, without new material. This wouldn't have happened without the "1998 UK Tax Fiasco" when they decided not to play so as not to get hit by higher rates (Mick said at the time that he wasn't really in favor of it but that it impacted a lot of the crew as well...). They promised to be back the next summer so the lucrative 1999 US Arena tour could be squeezed in. Not that I'm complaining mind you since I got to see them twice in an Arena in San Jose, something I never thought I'd experience...

That "no new material" concept was pushed further with "40 Licks" three years of course...

--------------

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 21, 2014 22:36

The "something snapped" is Mick realizing and accepting that fans--at least a great percentage of their concert going audience--view the Stones as an oldies act, icons who are there to celebrate an era having passed, and that these audiences become impatient when new material is presented.

He first encountered this opposition on the Voodoo Lounge tour when he would ask the audience, "You want to hear a new song now?" and they would go "Noooooo!" and he would retort, "Can't have old songs without new songs."

Keith has been saying for years now how he wants the band to get back in the studio, how they would work best after they've been on the road and well oiled. But it's Mick who is holding that up, the business sense that cautions him against wasting his time and committing himself for months to a task that would provide him with little reward and almost no financial returns.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 21, 2014 22:44

1999 May 21: New Stones CD Memory Hotel out May 31st
The new Stones CD titled Memory Hotel will be out by Monday May 31st, to back up the European Tour. No news about the tracks on the CD, but it might be outtakes from the previous two albums, that are supposed to be finished for production by now.

It's the first time i read something about this mysterious unpublished album! Many thanks gotdablouse

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home