Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Track Talk: Stealing My Heart
Posted by: René ()
Date: October 13, 2014 10:26

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Stealing My Heart
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Guillaume Tell Studios Davout, Suresnes, Paris, France, May 13 - June 7, 2002

Mick Jagger - vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric slide guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - keyboards

Well, luck is expensive and freedom comes cheap
When love's on the menu, I don't drink so deep
Well, I was just out there to have me some fun
But it's easier said than done

Mmm, we're standing so far apart, we had a string of false starts
I can't seem to stop it now, it grows and it grows and it grows
Stealing my heart, stealing my heart, stealing my heart, yeah

My cards are on the table, you can look up my sleeves
You say you're honest, but love is for thieves
Well, I was just out there, chaste as a nun

Yeah, like a shot in the dark, you shoot me right out the park
I can't seem to stop it, it grows and it grows and it grows
Stealing my heart, stealing my heart, stealing my heart, yeah

Well, you've got no money and I've got no charm
While you're in a panic, I stay so calm
Well, I was just out there to have me some fun

Yes, yeah, I though I was shot open, yeah, you were a walk in the park
I though you were dinner, but you were the shark
Stealing my heart, stealing my heart, stealing my heart, stealing my heart, yeah
Stealing my heart, stealing my heart, yeah, stealing my heart, stealing my heart, yeah
Stealing my heart, yeah, stealing, stealing my heart, yeah
Stealing, stealing, stealing, stealing my heart, oh yeah, come on, come on
Stealing my, stealing my heart, stealing my heart, yeah, stealing my heart

Produced by The Glimmer Twins & Don Was

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Forty Licks” 2CD
(Abkco Records / Virgin Music CDVD 2964) UK, September 30, 2002

Re: Track Talk: Stealing My Heart
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 13, 2014 10:58

A boring and uninspired song. I never understood why they recorded it. Just to have four new Songs on 40 Licks? Keys to your love is even worse. A lowpoint in their recording career. ABB is probably not a classic, but it is lightyears better than the FL Songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-13 12:32 by windmelody.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 13, 2014 11:09

I know this will be bashed, but I find that it's not bad at all. Could have been a good album song. For sure it can't be released in a greatest hits compilation.

C

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 13, 2014 11:23

Yeah they could/should have squeezed out an album from the Paris 2002 sessions, problem is they had announced the "Forty Licks" tour a few weeks earlier!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 13, 2014 11:26

It's easier said than done to describe this one...

Let me put it this way, the Kinks did a lovely Sleepwalker, Spin Doctors did a passable Two Princes some 15 years later - and then the Stones released Stealing My Heart 10 years after... Hm.. confused smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 13, 2014 11:33

confused smiley I can't hear any problems with this song, a nice punk-pastische if you listens to the chords...4/5 Being on 'Dirty Work' it would have been the second best tune...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: October 13, 2014 11:37

Come On
confused smiley I can't hear any problems with this song, a nice punk-pastische if you listens to the chords...4/5 Being on 'Dirty Work' it would have been the second best tune...thumbs up

More like a pop-ified garage-thing, lifted from the songs I mentioned above smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2014 11:43

ROCKMAN

Date: October 13, 2014 11:45

Rockman

..a bit late for my taste...cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 13, 2014 12:11

Stealing My Heart? More like stealing a sense of quality control.

Sad sad sad. It's the Stones in name but not in spirit. Is this the ultimate album filler rip off? If not this, then it's one of the other three sado songs on 40 Licks.

Oh dear, what has become of our beloved band of rock'n'roll rebels? Bland bland bland. Ain't there anything happening in Stonesland anymore or have their immense riches given way to a life of suffocating ennui?

Neil Young once sung: "It's better to burn out than it is to rust". Advice that perhaps the Stones should take unless they re-find the inspiration that fired their musical imaginations for so long. Re-think it guys, maybe get the acoustics out and do a great bluesy album a la Stripped. If you can't come up with great new songs yourselves then do some inspired covers.

Forget about competing with younger bands or the current sound. Be yourselves, unearth your passion for reggae, country, the blues and r'n'b and make that album that you know you can.

So many people try to make a record that sounds like the Rolling Stones. You are the Rolling Srtones and you can do it better than anyone.

Date: October 13, 2014 12:15

DandelionPowderman

Let me put it this way, the Kinks did a lovely Sleepwalker, Spin Doctors did a passable Two Princes some 15 years later - and then the Stones released Stealing My Heart 10 years after... Hm.. confused smiley

What have those songs got to do with Stealing My Heart Dandy? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-13 12:15 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: October 13, 2014 12:34

Not that bad compared to "One More Shot" or "Following The River" to mention only two.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 13, 2014 12:45

I did not then want to be made to buy a whole compilation, to obtain four new songs only. Hoped the song would be available in another release later on. Heard the four songs only once, somewhat distracted, during a visit to a friend, who had bought the compilation. However, those songs had neither a lasting nor an immediate impression on me. And now, confronted with the song title, I even had to cheque what kind of song this was.

I would have liked to buy a vinyl maxi-single with the four songs, though.

Date: October 13, 2014 13:00

Witness

[www.discogs.com]

Date: October 13, 2014 13:04

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Spin Doctors stole off Sleepwalker, and the Stones stole off Two Princes smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2014 13:11

Almost forgotten the song, since I haven't listened to FORTY LICKS for ages. I kind of liked it at the time when it was released. It has that funny positive poppish grunge feel in that. It sounded a bit different than the stuff in their previous albums.

I listened it now two times, and I have to say that the father time hasn't been too good for it. A total throwaway song, to be frank. The poppish melody start to go to nerves easily (especially the key phrase), and the guitar chord sequence into which the song is based - yeah, pretty close to "sleep Walker" and "Two Princes", but it also reminds me of those 'post-punk' guitar things when I was a kid - isn't that impressive. The Stones are going rather cheap there. The song sounds very 'formal' in every aspect - no heart in it.

Based on those four songs in FORTY LICKs, I don't think any masterpiece album was lost, when the band rushed to do the tour... Probably the released songs suffer from not having too much time to develop them properly (full of easy production ideas), but I don't think the initial ideas weren't too much driven by a muse either, especially if we listen to "Stealing My Heart". Which I won't do for some time now...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-13 13:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2014 13:27

DandelionPowderman

Spin Doctors stole off Sleepwalker, and the Stones stole off Two Princes smiling smiley

Stealing is alright when it is done with an inspiration, like with "Two Princes", or like what The Pretenders once did to "Empty Heart" or The Verve to "The Last Time" (countless other examples), but "Stealing My Heart" is something else... Usually the thing is to update an old idea to fit to current sounds, but the Stones just try to sound fresh and current by updating their old sound to fit to 'new' ideas, and (this time) they fail.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-13 13:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 13, 2014 13:37

Awful bad, any way you look at it.

Drew

Date: October 13, 2014 13:39

DandelionPowderman
Come On

More like a pop-ified garage-thing, lifted from the songs I mentioned above smiling smiley

Yeah, it would be nice to have a good look at Mick and Keiths collection of Kinks and Spin Doctor records...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 13, 2014 14:22

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

So the song title should have been Stealing Their Songs >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 13, 2014 14:55

mitch
Witness

[www.discogs.com]

If EP refers to vinyl, I have with this received a valuable piece of information! Thank you very much, mitch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-13 15:00 by Witness.

Date: October 13, 2014 15:03

Witness
mitch
Witness

[www.discogs.com]

If EP refers to vinyl, I have with this received a valuable piece of information! Thank you very much, mitch!

No vinyl to my knowledge, but this maxi-CD avoid you the purchase of the 40 licks compilation.

Date: October 13, 2014 15:04

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Yeah, it would be nice to have a good look at Mick and Keiths collection of Kinks and Spin Doctor records...grinning smiley

You'd be surprised.

Let's start with the base for Connection grinning smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 13, 2014 15:18

What strikes me most about these 4 tunes outta FL is the brilliant production, it sounds almost like Kimsey-era land (SG, ER).

The tunes are alright fot the compilation, and for me, 20 years at the time, they were a nice soundtrack to my lady conquests....

Date: October 13, 2014 15:20

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

You'd be surprised.

grinning smiley

Date: October 13, 2014 15:36

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Stealing is alright when it is done with an inspiration, like with "Two Princes", or like what The Pretenders once did to "Empty Heart" or The Verve to "The Last Time" (countless other examples), but "Stealing My Heart" is something else... Usually the thing is to update an old idea to fit to current sounds, but the Stones just try to sound fresh and current by updating their old sound to fit to 'new' ideas, and (this time) they fail.

- Doxa

Absolutely. Trying to sound "contemporary" with an obsolete-sounding song is nothing but off the mark from Mick, imo smiling smiley

In fairness, there are some ok passages in SMH, but the overall impression of trying to be something you're not is obscuring thoses moments, unfortunately...

Date: October 13, 2014 15:57

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

You'd be surprised.

grinning smiley

As far as I can remember Party Line is played on the off beat while Connection is very much on the on beat. Both are jaunty and up tempo but the only connection I can hear is the word 'connection' itself in the second verse of Party Line.

Wish I had a more direct connection.
This party line was here when I arrived.
And I'm not voting in the next election,
If they don't do something about finding out
The person who is on my party line.

Date: October 13, 2014 15:58

OK, let's play 'em all smiling smiley

Date: October 13, 2014 16:02

Silver Dagger
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

You'd be surprised.

grinning smiley

As far as I can remember Party Line is played on the off beat while Connection is very much on the on beat. Both are jaunty and up tempo but the only connection I can hear is the word 'connection' itself in the second verse of Party Line.

Wish I had a more direct connection.
This party line was here when I arrived.
And I'm not voting in the next election,
If they don't do something about finding out
The person who is on my party line.

Then I suggest you'll hum the line "Everything is going in the wrong direction". After that you do the Kinks-line: "I wish I had a more direct connection".

If the melody isn't (almost) the same, I'm now officially a Belieber grinning smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 13, 2014 16:04

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Absolutely. Trying to sound "contemporary" with an obsolete-sounding song is nothing but off the mark from Mick, imo smiling smiley

In fairness, there are some ok passages in SMH, but the overall impression of trying to be something you're not is obscuring thoses moments, unfortunately...

Come on now, aren't you guys too harsh now? DP, tu quoque!

On my book it is much better than the occasional Highwires or Don't Stops. I particularly like the melody of the chorus, and how Jagger sings it.

I know I am alone here, but for me the Licks EP wasn't that bad at all!

C

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home