Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones outtake: "It's a Lie" what's its backstory?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 9, 2014 21:18

hi - heard this song for the first time today - love it! Sounds like a "Keith song,"
mostly. What is the backstory?

All I found --doing a quick search-- is:
"5th January - 2nd March, 1978 : Boulogne-Billancourt, France, Pathé Marconi Studios. Take 2 - with drums intro"

thanks
swiss

Re: Stones outtake: "It's a Lie" what's its backstory?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 9, 2014 21:52

According to Dieter Hoffmann`s Weissbuch:
Compass Point Studio, Nassau, Bahamas, mid Jan - Feb 8, 1979.
Available on CD Paris Results Vol.2 and Place Pigalle Vol. 2

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 9, 2014 21:56

According to Nico Zentgraf [www.nzentgraf.de]

10th June - 7th July & late July - 25th August & 12th September - 19th October 1979:
Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé Marconi Studios. Producer: The
Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians: Bobby Keys
(sax)/Sugar Blue (harm)/Martin Gordon (bass; two days in September)
- Dance I (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics
- Dance II (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics, with `three, four..."-count-in
- Dance III (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics with `two, three, four"-count-in
- Dance IV (MJ/KR/RW) -first early version with original intro
- Down In The Hole I (MJ/KR) -early version with partly different lyrics
- Emotional Rescue I (MJ/KR) -long version
- Hang Fire II (MJ/KR) -with some falsetto vocals
- Hang Fire III (MJ/KR) -first version with ‘doo doo doo’-chorus
- Indian Girl I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version without horns
- Instrumental ( ) -unverified
- It's A Lie I (MJ/KR) -with harmonica intro; unverified
- It's A Lie II (MJ/KR) -with drums intro

- Jam ( ) -with Bobby Keys; unverified
- Let Me Go I (MJ/KR) -without sax
- Let Me Go II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- No Use In Crying I (MJ/KR/RW) -shorter early version
- No Use In Crying II (MJ/KR/RW) -longer early version
- No Use In Crying III (MJ/KR/RW) -similar to version II, but organ sets in earlier
- Send It To Me I (MJ/KR) -long version with vocals
- Summer Romance IV (MJ/KR) -more finished lyrics than III
- Summer Romance V (MJ/KR) -finished lyrics, plus bvoc; long version of VI
- “Time Flies” (MJ/KR) -title unsure, with Martin Gordon on bass
- We Had It All I (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -without harmonica
- We Had It All II (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -version I with harmonica
- We Had It All III (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -more finished version
- Where The Boys Go III (MJ/KR) -’Where The Boys All Go’-version, 1st version
with proper intro
- Where The Boys Go IV (MJ/KR) -version used for thermo-promo

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2014 22:42

According to Martin Elliott

5 January - 29 January --- February - 2 March
EMI Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris France

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 9, 2014 22:48

It's A Lie is a perfect example of The Stones (with Sugar Blue) on the top of their game in 1977-78 in the studio.
So relaxed, well played, loose, improvising, jamming, creating just a great tune.
This period 77-78-79 was magic there are so much unreleased bootleg only tracks known and of course they released SOME GIRLS DELUXE officaly.
One of the best outtakes of that period for me is the song NEVER TOO INTO a great three guitar song with unfinished lyrics.
Would like to post it in this thread, don't know how. Gonna play it now from "Better Results" a nice bootleg by Outsider Bird Records from 1994.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-09 22:49 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 9, 2014 22:59

According to NICOS it's recorded years ago and it sound great........and it's better that Lies

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 9, 2014 23:01

RipThisBone
It's A Lie is a perfect example of The Stones (with Sugar Blue) on the top of their game in 1977-78 in the studio.
So relaxed, well played, loose, improvising, jamming, creating just a great tune.
This period 77-78-79 was magic there are so much unreleased bootleg only tracks known and of course they released SOME GIRLS DELUXE officaly.
One of the best outtakes of that period for me is the song NEVER TOO INTO a great three guitar song with unfinished lyrics.
Would like to post it in this thread, don't know how. Gonna play it now from "Better Results" a nice bootleg by Outsider Bird Records from 1994.

Here you go..............(changed with an other clip as the previous was a bit stupid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-09 23:03 by NICOS.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 9, 2014 23:56

NICOS
RipThisBone

Here you go..............(changed with an other clip as the previous was a bit stupid

Thanks NICOS.... NEVER TOO INTO. This is it. A classic in it's own.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 10, 2014 00:12

NICOS
According to NICOS it's recorded years ago and it sound great........and it's better that Lies

Really? I find it horrible, the kind of song that has "outtake - never to be released officially" written on its little forehead.

It starts very weak and it goes nowhere before it fades out (permanently?).
Plus it has some of the worst vocal performance ever delivered by Jagger. That drunken slur... yuck!

Kimsey probably was shaking his head as the tapes were rolling... "hey at least we have "Miss You" and a bunch of other decent tunes to build an album from..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 00:17 by dcba.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2014 02:28

NICOS
RipThisBone

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's the kind of song Mick described as how he could just sang 'oh oh oh' all day long on songs! What was the comment, disposable songs? Something like that.

Perfect. Kind of sounds that they got the idea for some future songs from that, like She's So Cold (kind of) and, what, one or two from UNDERCOVER perhaps.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2014 02:40

It still would've been a better song than half of what made the SOME GIRLS extra disc (yeah I know, it's not from SOME GIRLS, it's from the ER sessions, but so are some of the tunes on that disc).

Date: October 10, 2014 03:44

NICOS
RipThisBone

omg, I love these -- thanks you guys for the great info and clips.

- swiss

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 10, 2014 08:05

dcba
I find it horrible, the kind of song that has "outtake - never to be released officially" written on its little forehead.

It starts very weak and it goes nowhere before it fades out (permanently?).
Plus it has some of the worst vocal performance ever delivered by Jagger. That drunken slur... yuck!

Kimsey probably was shaking his head as the tapes were rolling... "hey at least we have "Miss You" and a bunch of other decent tunes to build an album from..."

Lol, totally agree with you on this one, sloppy musically, sloppy vocally and no dynamics to speak of. I doubt the Stones thought much of it either.. peace

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 10, 2014 08:49

Not to pile on, but that song sucks.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 10, 2014 09:25

Sounds like a demo that could have gone somewhere with some work. Quite a lot of work!

Date: October 10, 2014 10:06

It's an early demo. It's bound to be imperfect. No lyrics, still searching musically. it's the sounds and the possibilities we should judge when it comes to these songs, not the song per se, imo smiling smiley

PS: I'd die for having those two chords like that (Never Too Into) in one of my songs. Maybe I'll nick it winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 10:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 10, 2014 10:10

And in terms of sounds and possibilities, it's the rough and ready Stones doing their take on punk. Solid, dirty groove, and hey, Charlie sound great tonight, doesn't he?

I think if they put out something like this today--we should be so lucky--we'd be hailing the return of the classic Stones.

Date: October 10, 2014 10:13

stonehearted
And in terms of sounds and possibilities, it's the rough and ready Stones doing their take on punk. Solid, dirty groove, and hey, Charlie sound great tonight, doesn't he?

I think if they put out something like this today--we should be so lucky--we'd be hailing the return of the classic Stones.

Punk with an analog delay? smiling smiley Yeah, but I see what you mean.

Actually, I found Mick's falsetto lines in there very interesting. Could have pushed the song in an entirely different direction had he developed it.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 10, 2014 10:22

Hello Swiss;

I don't believe this song was recorded that late (Jan.-March 1978), well at least the first time. There is an interview with Mick, Ronnie & Charlie (Sept. 1977 on Old Grey Whistle Test) talking about their new L.P. "Love You Live' in the background you hear the track "It's A Lie" being played. So I would put the song being recorded pre-Sept. 1977. There is more info on this song but more later. I hope this helps.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 10, 2014 10:44

VideoJames
Hello Swiss;

I don't believe this song was recorded that late (Jan.-March 1978), well at least the first time. There is an interview with Mick, Ronnie & Charlie (Sept. 1977 on Old Grey Whistle Test) talking about their new L.P. "Love You Live' in the background you hear the track "It's A Lie" being played. So I would put the song being recorded pre-Sept. 1977. There is more info on this song but more later. I hope this helps.

You refer to the Youtube-version of the interview, but this was reworked by the uploader or someone else. There wasn't any soundtrack of It's A Lie in the original telecast. The track was not yet recorded in September 1977.

N

Date: October 10, 2014 11:11

Thanks Ned,

I had thought that, I had not seen/watched the clip (original) in a long while, I believe someone sent me the (new) clip with the re-worked sound track recently. So the date mentioned for recording (It's a Lie) is most likely correct, I did not have a date earlier then the 1978 date for the track either which made be question what I was writing hence the ... "more info later" . Thanks, you save me a lot time trying to search my library for one. The song sounds right from the S.G. sessions also.

Date: October 10, 2014 11:37

One last thing; I just checked , I have a finished version with a harmonica (sugar Blue) track, track runs 4:21 seconds. Pathe' Marconi Studios, (1978)

Date: October 10, 2014 12:02

DandelionPowderman
It's an early demo. It's bound to be imperfect. No lyrics, still searching musically. it's the sounds and the possibilities we should judge when it comes to these songs, not the song per se, imo smiling smiley

That's how I see it too -- it's a look into, a fly-on-the-wall insight into, a set of moments
of the Stones more or less unselfconscious, working stuff out, inot the music, not performing
per se, but seeing what happens and where things go. I love it.

Date: October 10, 2014 12:04

stonehearted

Ha! Great point smiling smiley

Date: October 10, 2014 12:08

VideoJames
Hello Swiss;

So, interesting, Videojames, thanks! I don't understand how there could be so many conflicting
accounts of when this was worked on/recorded. Your addition is a great piece to the puzzle.

Date: October 10, 2014 12:12

NeddieFlanders
VideoJames
Hello Swiss;

You refer to the Youtube-version of the interview, but this was reworked by the uploader or someone else. There wasn't any soundtrack of It's A Lie in the original telecast. The track was not yet recorded in September 1977.

N

Ooops, I missed this note from you, Neddie. OK, well that narrows it down. Not 1977.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 10, 2014 12:54

A master tape of the Rolling Stones outtake, "It's A Lie," recorded but never released during the sessions for their "Undercover" album. We obtained this from the late great Art Collins, former head of Rolling Stones Records. Collins' letter of authenticity describes how this track was recorded by the band during sessions booked for the band under the pseudonym "Fall Fire". This rough mix tape was made for the band's review, but it wasn't used for the album. The box is dated 3/20/81. Collins' letter is quite descriptive, noting that "during this period there was a lot of bad attitudes flying around within the band." A unique Stones collectible with impeccable provenance.

[recordmecca.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2014 13:01

Not to pile on, but that song sucks.

....surely Bucks Fizz have a site you could join ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 10, 2014 21:12

runaway
A master tape of the Rolling Stones outtake, "It's A Lie," recorded but never released during the sessions for their "Undercover" album. We obtained this from the late great Art Collins, former head of Rolling Stones Records. Collins' letter of authenticity describes how this track was recorded by the band during sessions booked for the band under the pseudonym "Fall Fire". This rough mix tape was made for the band's review, but it wasn't used for the album. The box is dated 3/20/81. Collins' letter is quite descriptive, noting that "during this period there was a lot of bad attitudes flying around within the band." A unique Stones collectible with impeccable provenance.

[recordmecca.com]

Fall Fire was an early working title for Tattoo You. If It's A Lie was in that collection, then it was maybe briefly considered for inclusion. But it surely comes from the Some Girls- or Emotional Rescue-sessions, not from before or after.

N

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 10, 2014 21:40

NeddieFlanders
runaway

[recordmecca.com]

Fall Fire was an early working title for Tattoo You. If It's A Lie was in that collection, then it was maybe briefly considered for inclusion. But it surely comes from the Some Girls- or Emotional Rescue-sessions, not from before or after.

N

Thanks for your info, I found nothing about this track in my archive

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home