Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Start Me Up
Date: November 8, 2022 12:28

skytrench
DandelionPowderman
He's talk8ng about the song like it's brand new, saying it needs drums etc.

He says:

"...really need a drummer, we've always done it with drums, never did it sitting around"

Which alludes to the song having been played often (always).

He's telling the other person about the song. Why would he do that, with a superknown hit like SMU 20 years later? And why play it differently (Never Stop in standard tuning)?

<Which alludes to the song having been played often (always)>

Could also mean everytime they've rehearsed it before recording.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 9, 2022 04:37

Early vocal overdubs, supposedly from the 1980 Paris overdub sessions, with some vocals audible that were kept for the LP version that was finished in NYC in 1981.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 9, 2022 12:26

In 1989/90 it was a powerfull and dynamic opener. Since then it became one of the boring tunes in their shows for me. Except from the dirty RW solo...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 9, 2022 12:45

the studio version was magical. I was 19 and I remember reading about a song called Waiting on a Friend and Neighbors in A Rolling Stone magazine article. people magazine had a photo of Jagger and Hall going to Mr Chows in NYC after Waiting on a Friend video shoot. Several weeks later my local rock station said new Stones single arrives tomorrow so I called out of work and had my cassette player ready and was expecting to hear either WOAF or Neighbors and the announcer says START ME UP. The opening riff was killer and it rocked. It wasn’t disco. It kicked ass and I played it back in awe 50 times. Went away that weekend to a beach in Maine. Every station was already playing it in heavy rotation something that didn’t happen with the song Emotional Rescue. The stones were back. Total war horse now but god was it exciting when it first hit radio airwaves

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 9, 2022 17:53

Bashlets
the studio version was magical. I was 19 and I remember reading about a song called Waiting on a Friend and Neighbors in A Rolling Stone magazine article. people magazine had a photo of Jagger and Hall going to Mr Chows in NYC after Waiting on a Friend video shoot. Several weeks later my local rock station said new Stones single arrives tomorrow so I called out of work and had my cassette player ready and was expecting to hear either WOAF or Neighbors and the announcer says START ME UP. The opening riff was killer and it rocked. It wasn’t disco. It kicked ass and I played it back in awe 50 times. Went away that weekend to a beach in Maine. Every station was already playing it in heavy rotation something that didn’t happen with the song Emotional Rescue. The stones were back. Total war horse now but god was it exciting when it first hit radio airwaves

Beautifully put. I was 14 at the time but had exactly the same feelings. This electrifying track rocketing out from my radio.

Drew

Date: November 10, 2022 06:09

Bashlets

The single was released on my 11th birthday. I heard it on a bunny radio (literally, a radio in a plush bunny) that was AM only, for some reason, that a friend had, her brother loved the Stones, and for weeks all we knew was Stromeo!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 10, 2022 18:27

I used to like it. Now I’m not so enamoured. I mean it’s ok, but it’s not a POWERFUL riff like JJF or SFM. It’s a bit, I don’t know, “weak”. It’s ok. It’s not prime Stones to me. Did its job back in the day though as far as being a hit single goes though. But that’s not how I measure songs. Otherwise Rubber Ducky is a masterpiece too.

Rod

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 10, 2022 19:41

Bashlets

Those were the days! How exciting it was to go out and get the new LP! And yep, the first single. The last time i was so excited about a Stones single was when Mixed Emotions came out. Obviously, Mixed Emotions was not another Start Me Up but the excitement of having a new single on the radio was something I will never forget.
I have always wondered why Start Me Up never has THAT guitar sound when the band play it live. The studio version has this playfulness, lightness, tightness about it. I cannot play the guitar so I do not know why the studio sound has never been replicated live. Is that something that would be difficult to achieve live?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 11, 2022 16:07

They have never seemingly been able or wishing to replicate the recorded tempo.

That's certainly one factor . It rather races live, losing some tension and syncopation.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2022 18:11

frenki09
Bashlets

Those were the days! How exciting it was to go out and get the new LP! And yep, the first single. The last time i was so excited about a Stones single was when Mixed Emotions came out. Obviously, Mixed Emotions was not another Start Me Up but the excitement of having a new single on the radio was something I will never forget.
I have always wondered why Start Me Up never has THAT guitar sound when the band play it live. The studio version has this playfulness, lightness, tightness about it. I cannot play the guitar so I do not know why the studio sound has never been replicated live. Is that something that would be difficult to achieve live?

Imo it's the same for Mixed Emotions studio and live version

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: November 14, 2022 05:56

So was the Keith-only acoustic version ever bootlegged?

Date: November 15, 2022 06:11

Spud
They have never seemingly been able or wishing to replicate the recorded tempo.

That's certainly one factor . It rather races live, losing some tension and syncopation.

Posted on the previous page. This might come the closest? At least maybe in quite a while.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 15, 2022 09:29

The best live versions IMHO are from 1989, 1990 and 2007. Without Charlie it's deffo not the same. Steve handles all other tunes all right.

Date: November 16, 2022 04:01

MadMax
The best live versions IMHO are from 1989, 1990 and 2007. Without Charlie it's deffo not the same. Steve handles all other tunes all right.

Jordan sticks to the 4 on the floor of the original in that live version just above - and a good bit to the studio version.

But STEEL WHEELS was the best live version period. For me. It soared.

Date: November 16, 2022 08:35

GasLightStreet
MadMax

Jordan sticks to the 4 on the floor of the original in that live version just above - and a good bit to the studio version.

But STEEL WHEELS was the best live version period. For me. It soared.

Yeah, it's just something about the syncops and the hi-hat playing that differs and makes it, for me, rather different.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 16, 2022 11:37

Fonda Theater and Olympia 2003 are really, really good versions (and I usually skip it on live albums).

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 17, 2022 12:01

Spaceport Cornwall will be allowed to host the UK's first space launch after it was granted an operating licence by the aviation regulator.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said the site in Newquay could be used for sending satellites into space.

Its first mission is expected to be conducted by the Virgin Orbit company in the coming weeks.

The mission has been given the title Start Me Up in tribute to The Rolling Stones.

Full story here:
[www.google.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 17, 2022 12:17

wow that is huge. fits like a glove too, especially compared to *cough* Windows 95

START ME UP - Guitars ?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: November 22, 2022 00:46

I count 3 guitars on this song- Keith's Lead, Ron's screeching guitar that can be especially heard towards the end, and a third heavy guitar that sort of follows the lead. It can be heard at 0:17 here:

[www.youtube.com]

Not that it ultimately matters but is this Keith adding more depth to his lead or is it more likely Ronnie playing this one?

Thank you.

Re: START ME UP - Guitars ?
Date: November 22, 2022 05:19

I couldn't discern anything in that bizarre link.

Ronnie plays "the bottom" - it's an F, as well as some wonky riffs. Keith is all of the loudest riffage heard, and what seems to be some Ronnie leads here and there.

2 overall, with a third here and there.

Date: November 22, 2022 08:34

The guitars are amazing, the fact that Ronnie plays a Fsus2/F against Keith's open-G C/F still blows my mind to this day. Pure GENIUS.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 22, 2022 12:55

GasLightStreet

Ronnie plays "the bottom" - it's an F, as well as some wonky riffs. Keith is all of the loudest riffage heard, and what seems to be some Ronnie leads here and there.

The leads are Keith.

Mathijs

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 22, 2022 18:03

Nikkei
wow that is huge. fits like a glove too, especially compared to *cough* Windows 95

yeah nothing fits in easier then installing a dvd drive in windows 95 or using any usb devicewinking smiley

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 23, 2022 17:15

The song that started off the Stones for me - aged 13.

Date: November 24, 2022 05:52

Mathijs
GasLightStreet

The leads are Keith.

Mathijs

How my seems have been correctified! Seems like I would notice given how slow and bendy they are! Maybe it was the fantastically mimed video of them playing?

I've never read anything but it would be interesting how they determined to come up with a solo that Ronnie plays in 1989 (and ever since).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 24, 2022 12:18

GasLightStreet
Mathijs
GasLightStreet

The leads are Keith.

Mathijs

How my seems have been correctified! Seems like I would notice given how slow and bendy they are! Maybe it was the fantastically mimed video of them playing?

I've never read anything but it would be interesting how they determined to come up with a solo that Ronnie plays in 1989 (and ever since).

The song just begs for a solo at that point, and Wood already started it on the 1981 tour, not so much as a solo spot but more jamming.

Mathijs

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: November 24, 2022 23:29

The chorus "you make a grown man cry" made me a fan. Sounded like cave painting.

Priest

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home