Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Start Me Up
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2022 07:54

Bjorn
Yes, you cant beat the studio version! Live, it never really took off...

OH CONTRAIRE! 44 billion times better!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2022 10:49

Sorry GLS, I'm still with Björn here. Nothing beats the studio original.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 29, 2022 12:14

GasLightStreet
Bjorn
Yes, you cant beat the studio version! Live, it never really took off...

OH CONTRAIRE! 44 billion times better!

This is a great faster version. I really like both versions.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2022 12:24

I like the slower studio version better. I don't know why they decided to speed it up for the live version. It doesn't do the song any good. At least it's different though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-29 14:55 by Stoneage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2022 03:11

Stoneage
I like the slower studio version better. I don't know why they decided to speed it up for the live version. It doesn't do the song any good. At least it's different though...

Yeah sometimes you speed up a song, maybe more energy but you lose the groove.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 30, 2022 13:31

The ‘89-‘90 live version is superiour. It’s almost a different song than the studio version. Love both!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2022 14:31

sf37

I'd add Shattered to this list of "studio masterpieces never replicated live" as well.

There's a bunch of hard-hitting versions from 82 that I really like.

The cool vibe of the studio version is gone and the song has been turned into a mean thing. Maybe Keith was venting his budding anger against Jagger during that song? grinning smiley

The 1989 "pull the plug" one was quite good too (and I'm serious here).

Re: Start Me Up
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: October 31, 2022 16:04

DandelionPowderman listed this:

- One acoustic version

Does anyone have any more info on this version? I've never heard about it before...

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 31, 2022 21:54

audun-eg
The ‘89-‘90 live version is superiour. It’s almost a different song than the studio version. Love both!

I always thought their best live versions of songs were when they had a tour or two to get them right, but not too far from their studio root. In time they lose all their edge, like Tumbling Dice, or just about all of them except Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2022 11:19

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
Does anyone know if the overdubbed guitar heard at (1:22) and again at (3:02) was from the original '78 recording sessions or was it overdubbed later on when worked on for TATTOO YOU in '80-81?

The original was done in 1977. From all that's been published regarding the overdub sessions, it seems that no additional guitar work was done in 1981 when Mick worked on it.

Yeah that seems to be the case. It's weird though. To my ears, the overdubbed guitar on SMU sounds a lot like one of the guitars on "Neighbors." That's probably just me though.

There are several takes of Neighbours, all sounding different - different speeds, but one is the obvious LP version. The guitars in it sound the same as the LP version. That doesn't mean more added to it, just that they're there.

So that live bottom from 1977 of SMU may be all that was done on that day and they did more during those sessions ie some overdubs. The way they've consistently talked about SMU over the years reveals they did nothing else to it after 1977 except for Mick adding his vocals over the course of a few months in Paris (where the one version has some vocals but not the finished ones, ignorantly called a demo) and finished in NYC, as well as the handclaps and the cowbell. The guitars sounding similar to Neighbours etc, well, those effects, whether through a pedal or added in post, were what they were using at the time so who knows.

They did do instrumental overdubs in 1980 in Paris and 1981 in New York. It is a bit unknown when and what -according to Chris Kimsey he was alone with Jagger in Paris in 1980 at an unknown warehouse location, 1981 at Atlantic for sure Richards was there. On SMU, the lead guitar (more like country bends) of Keith were done in New York. I think Wood's and Richards main guitars are from 1977, all other guitars are from 1981.

They added guitars to Neighbours, Slave (but Wood's lead guitar was removed again), acoustic to Waiting OAF, guitars to Black Limo etc.

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2022 11:22

sbetz

- One acoustic version

Does anyone have any more info on this version? I've never heard about it before...

Thanks,
Steve

There is a recording of Keith from the early to mid 1980's explaining to somebody (a reporter?) on acoustic guitar how the original riff of SMU was played. It sounds like a home recording.

Mathijs

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 1, 2022 11:44

dcba
sf37

I'd add Shattered to this list of "studio masterpieces never replicated live" as well.

The 1989 "pull the plug" one was quite good too (and I'm serious here).

Thanks dcba. I'll have to check it out.

Date: November 2, 2022 05:14

Stoneage
Sorry GLS, I'm still with Björn here. Nothing beats the studio original.

Of course the studio version is bizarrely supreme but their 1989 performance of it is exceptional.

Date: November 2, 2022 05:25

sf37
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
ribbelchips
Wait, whut? My lips won't wait? grinning smiley

Start me up is one of the few Stones songs I like them to re-record. It's a great, iconic rock tune, but the studio version is kinda weak compared to the rock song it is live. It needs louder guitars and more energy.

Are you kidding? They never managed to create the magic of the studio version in concert grinning smiley

agreed. It's like She's So Cold and Rocks Off.

Those songs are studio masterpieces.

Totally!

Unlike Rocks Off and She's So Cold, Shattered was figured out live to be better in a way that worked.

Not replicated... improved upon differently.

Not the exact one I was looking for but it works: click on 'more' and go to

13:26 Shattered

Date: November 2, 2022 10:45

Mathijs
sbetz

- One acoustic version

Thanks,
Steve

There is a recording of Keith from the early to mid 1980's explaining to somebody (a reporter?) on acoustic guitar how the original riff of SMU was played. It sounds like a home recording.

Mathijs

There are two acoustic guitars, methinks. Can't remember any talking, but it's been a while since I listened to it.

Date: November 2, 2022 15:43

Hi DandelionPowderman,

Do you possibly have the recording of the 2 acoustic guitars of SMU? Would be an interesting listen...

Thank you,
S.

Date: November 2, 2022 19:14

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
sbetz

- One acoustic version

Thanks,
Steve

Mathijs

There are two acoustic guitars, methinks. Can't remember any talking, but it's been a while since I listened to it.

Perhaps you have a different recording? I need to find it, but it starts with Keith mumbling and than playing the riff with big open chords in standard tuning. There's one guitar as far as I can tell.

Mathijs

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 2, 2022 19:17

Uh oh! Do we have a band quarrel? Haha! Kidding. Loved watching you guys play on here. Pretty impressive stuff. Keep on rocking IORR Band!

Date: November 3, 2022 01:12

Anyone hear Henry Lee Summer's studio version? Not bad but his vocals are terrible.

Date: November 3, 2022 01:26

I like all the versions.

The live versions from 89/90 was the intro that blows you away.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2022 01:37

georgemcdonnell314
I like all the versions.

Agree 100%

Date: November 3, 2022 05:47

georgemcdonnell314
I like all the versions.

The instrumental part of Continental Drift? Or Start Me Up's intro with Charlie cracking the rhythm up instantly?

Date: November 3, 2022 11:03

NashvilleBlues
Uh oh! Do we have a band quarrel? Haha! Kidding. Loved watching you guys play on here. Pretty impressive stuff. Keep on rocking IORR Band!

No band quarrel, I fully accept that I always have to let the singer win.

Mathijs

Date: November 3, 2022 13:35

LOL! grinning smiley

Btw, I have the track on my old laptop at home. Will check it out, as I haven't heard it in years.

Date: November 3, 2022 14:10

DandelionPowderman
LOL! grinning smiley

Btw, I have the track on my old laptop at home. Will check it out, as I haven't heard it in years.

I have it on an old laptop seized by my daughter, need to pay her now to get it back....

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2022 14:34

Always love when the cold, fact-based, analytical Mathijs shows a human face... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 3, 2022 18:05

Interesting, Doxa. I read that and immediately thought the cold, analytical Mathijs was deploying a clever ruse to make us think he was a mere mortal.

Date: November 4, 2022 16:19

According to my cat I am an exceedingly warm, tender and loving human being.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2022 16:38

Mathijs
According to my cat I am an exceedingly warm, tender and loving human being.

Mathijs

LOL...that's a really low benchmark!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 4, 2022 16:59

[youtu.be]

At 3:28...is it a burp?! grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home