Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Start Me Up
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2019 20:19

TheBadRabbit
Probably in the minority here, but I'm bored to death with this song. I could easily go the rest of my life without ever hearing it again. (Along with LSTNT and Satisfaction.)

All great Stones classics. Of course I feel the negative way about 'Freebird', 'Blackwater', and 'Joy to the World'.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2019 20:24

TheBadRabbit
Probably in the minority here, but I'm bored to death with this song. I could easily go the rest of my life without ever hearing it again. (Along with LSTNT and Satisfaction.)

You're not alone - it wore out it's welcome shortly after it was released in my world becoming one of their lamest 'rockers'.
Then it became oversaturated when the riff was blasted at sporting events all across the US.

That said, I love the tone of the studio version opening riff, and at the recent Santa Clara shows I was swept up with the excitement when Mick was yelling the "you! You!" -part.
I was pointing right back at him and involuntarily started yelling "you! You!" right back at him...
Never have been a fan of it live (except for that quick moment), but can sort of understand why so many can still enjoy it.

EDIT: Skimming through beginning of thread, seems there are others with the similar feelings:

Naturalust
RomanCandle
Am I the only one who doesn't like this song?

No I'm with you on this one. A totally overrated tune with cliché sound and licks that has never worked for me. Disliked it when it came out and dislike it even more now. It seems too commercial for me and the true beginning of the end for the Stones authenticity. peace

EDIT#2:

Lol...more skimming through thread..seems I already posted in this thread just last year - good to be consistent.

Hairball
doitywoik
I loved Start Me Up when it came out but then it wore off pretty quickly.

Same here, but for me I think it was a forced love with the new album and the new tour happening a month or so after.
After that, the honeymoon was over, and Start Me Up soon became my least favorite tune on the entire album.
Then you consider the barrage/overkill of hearing it during basketball games, etc. over the years, and then the advertisements...no escaping it.
And of all the warhorses they play live, easily my least favorite with the exception of the opening riff (when it's played properly).
I'd probably like it better if there was a remix of just the first 10 seconds on repeat for five minutes.winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-10 20:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 10, 2019 20:31

I was going to say something but realized I have already said it ten times before. It's all going in circles now, isn't it? Our opinions are becoming warhorses...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2019 20:36

Yeah Stoneage ha, after more skimming through this thread seems I already posted here just last year and said basically the same thing (edited my post above to add it).

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 10, 2019 21:01

24FPS
It's one of those Stones classic singles that you aren't quite sure of it the first time you hear it. Like Miss You. Start Me Up I heard over the radio in the kitchen of a restaurant I was waiting tables at. It heard a bunch of elements of a song, but I'm not sure they hung together. Repeated listenings, as on many of their songs, brought it together.

So True. I don't remember first hearing it, but I distinctly remember when I noticed that it was a really cool song. Something just clicked, like "Yeah, I get it now".

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 10, 2019 21:20

chatoyancy
I was there when the lyrics were written. I was a teenage girl and I'd known them a week or two. Keith's Jaguar was parked outside. It was the start of the most wonderful two relationships in my life. I still try my best to inspire. Can't wait until the next album!

You're not the only one!!!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 14, 2020 01:18

Does anyone know if the overdubbed guitar heard at (1:22) and again at (3:02) was from the original '78 recording sessions or was it overdubbed later on when worked on for TATTOO YOU in '80-81?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2020 03:32

JordyLicks96
Does anyone know if the overdubbed guitar heard at (1:22) and again at (3:02) was from the original '78 recording sessions or was it overdubbed later on when worked on for TATTOO YOU in '80-81?

The original was done in 1977. From all that's been published regarding the overdub sessions, it seems that no additional guitar work was done in 1981 when Mick worked on it.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 14, 2020 04:08

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96

The original was done in 1977. From all that's been published regarding the overdub sessions, it seems that no additional guitar work was done in 1981 when Mick worked on it.

Yeah that seems to be the case. It's weird though. To my ears, the overdubbed guitar on SMU sounds a lot like one of the guitars on "Neighbors." That's probably just me though.

Date: February 14, 2020 08:32

Stoneage
I was going to say something but realized I have already said it ten times before. It's all going in circles now, isn't it? Our opinions are becoming warhorses...

You're right! But it seems that original stuff is not much appreciated!

Date: February 14, 2020 15:45

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96

Yeah that seems to be the case. It's weird though. To my ears, the overdubbed guitar on SMU sounds a lot like one of the guitars on "Neighbors." That's probably just me though.

There are several takes of Neighbours, all sounding different - different speeds, but one is the obvious LP version. The guitars in it sound the same as the LP version. That doesn't mean more added to it, just that they're there.

So that live bottom from 1977 of SMU may be all that was done on that day and they did more during those sessions ie some overdubs. The way they've consistently talked about SMU over the years reveals they did nothing else to it after 1977 except for Mick adding his vocals over the course of a few months in Paris (where the one version has some vocals but not the finished ones, ignorantly called a demo) and finished in NYC, as well as the handclaps and the cowbell. The guitars sounding similar to Neighbours etc, well, those effects, whether through a pedal or added in post, were what they were using at the time so who knows.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 27, 2022 23:21

new lyric video

and spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-27 23:23 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 28, 2022 05:40

WTF

I thought it was You make my lips go green

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2022 06:35

GasLightStreet
WTF

It's "My eyes dilate, my lips go green". Always was, always will be.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: October 28, 2022 07:25

....and earlier in the song I had always heard 'you got me reeking' which sounded pretty unpleasant.

Glad to know that it's 'wrecking'!

Date: October 28, 2022 09:26

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
WTF

It's "My eyes dilate, my lips go green". Always was, always will be.

thumbs up
...and it's "You make a dead cum" as Lucille Bogan sing on "Shave 'em dry"
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-28 09:27 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: October 28, 2022 10:41

Wait, whut? My lips won't wait? grinning smiley

Start me up is one of the few Stones songs I like them to re-record. It's a great, iconic rock tune, but the studio version is kinda weak compared to the rock song it is live. It needs louder guitars and more energy.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 28, 2022 11:00

i always heard

spread out the oil

the gasoline

i wanna scream all night on a lean mean machine

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 28, 2022 12:10

You kids hear things

Date: October 28, 2022 12:33

ribbelchips

Start me up is one of the few Stones songs I like them to re-record. It's a great, iconic rock tune, but the studio version is kinda weak compared to the rock song it is live. It needs louder guitars and more energy.

Are you kidding? They never managed to create the magic of the studio version in concert grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 28, 2022 12:39

ProfessorWolf
i always heard

spread out the oil

the gasoline

A reference to vaginal lubrification?

ProfessorWolf
i wanna scream all night on a lean mean machine

Mick's poetic view of women?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 28, 2022 13:00

Yes, you cant beat the studio version! Live, it never really took off...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2022 17:45

DandelionPowderman
ribbelchips

Are you kidding? They never managed to create the magic of the studio version in concert grinning smiley

agreed. It's like She's So Cold and Rocks Off.

Those songs are studio masterpieces.

Date: October 28, 2022 17:52

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
ribbelchips

Totally!

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 28, 2022 18:19

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
ribbelchips

Totally!

I'd add Shattered to this list of "studio masterpieces never replicated live" as well.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 28, 2022 18:19

ribbelchips
Start me up is one of the few Stones songs I like them to re-record.

Mick and Ronnie just re-cut it and released it last year on the LOST AND FOUND disc with the TATTOO YOU 40th Anniversary set.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 28, 2022 19:27

audun-eg
Start Me Up is the reason I became a fan. Simply a work of art!
It shows the greatness of Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-28 19:28 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 28, 2022 19:35

Taylor1

Agreed, so did the version Mick and Ronnie cooked up with Matt Clifford last year. In that instance, Keith's absence emphasized how essential he is for the song.

Date: October 28, 2022 21:04

Rocky Dijon
Taylor1

Agreed, so did the version Mick and Ronnie cooked up with Matt Clifford last year. In that instance, Keith's absence emphasized how essential he is for the song.

One could say that Keith's part on that one was so great that he didn't have re-cut a thing 24 years later smiling smiley

Date: October 29, 2022 07:47

bakersfield
....and earlier in the song I had always heard 'you got me reeking' which sounded pretty unpleasant.

Glad to know that it's 'wrecking'!

Wait a minute.

He says "reeking".

WTF. No one says glowfully as "gleefully". These official lyric videos are stupid.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home