Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Start Me Up
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 3, 2019 18:28

caschimann
ThePaleRider
Start Me Up was a gift from the Rock Gods...that silly song was a practically a career saver for the band that propelled them through for the next 20 years...

So true!thumbs upthumbs up

(True, without the word silly :-))

Date: September 3, 2019 18:32

Why did they need a "career saver" after two best-selling albums?

Date: September 3, 2019 18:35

emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

I know the person who is at the present playing bass with the band is technically ahead from Bill. Ok. This person played with miles davis and so on. Ok. Awesome.

BUT without Charlie and Bill there would not exist the stones sound. At all.

And Bill somehow took over the song.

So Happy, YCAGWYW, half of Tumbling Dice and Sympathy For The Devil sound like an other band? winking smiley

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: September 3, 2019 18:39

Hi just like to say start me up one of my favourites. I think because it was one of the first things I heard via tattoo you,I loved the opening chords- maybe too obvious for some but awesome I thought.
I love hearing all the live versions.one last thought, does Keith make a mistake in start me up on the San Jose 99 dvd,? I love it though cos he manages to make it into a great swaggering start. Wow!!

Date: September 3, 2019 18:43

nick1970
Hi just like to say start me up one of my favourites. I think because it was one of the first things I heard via tattoo you,I loved the opening chords- maybe too obvious for some but awesome I thought.
I love hearing all the live versions.one last thought, does Keith make a mistake in start me up on the San Jose 99 dvd,? I love it though cos he manages to make it into a great swaggering start. Wow!!

If you're thinking about the stop in the intro that's deliberate. He did it on all shows on the 97-99 tours, methinks.

Date: September 3, 2019 18:56

Oh thanks! I didn't realise I still like his style as always...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 3, 2019 19:14

caschimann
caschimann
ThePaleRider
Start Me Up was a gift from the Rock Gods...that silly song was a practically a career saver for the band that propelled them through for the next 20 years...

So true!thumbs upthumbs up

(True, without the word silly :-))

Well put, Pale Rider. I think so too. Tattoo You was my introduction to the Rolling Stones. Without the success of Tattoo You and the 81/82 tour Jagger solo albums may have been the only Stones output for decades.
One can't deny the importance of a big hit single. Like Start Me Up.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2019 00:18

DandelionPowderman
emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

I know the person who is at the present playing bass with the band is technically ahead from Bill. Ok. This person played with miles davis and so on. Ok. Awesome.

So Happy, YCAGWYW, half of Tumbling Dice and Sympathy For The Devil sound like an other band? winking smiley

Bill plays bass on YCAGWYW. Keith's bass on Happy, and Mick Taylor's half(?) on Tumblin' Dice sound like imitations of Bill. Only Keith's samba bass on Sympathy is a distinctly different sound.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:01

Start Me Up is the reason I became a fan. Simply a work of art!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 08:19

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

Bill plays bass on YCAGWYW. Keith's bass on Happy, and Mick Taylor's half(?) on Tumblin' Dice sound like imitations of Bill. Only Keith's samba bass on Sympathy is a distinctly different sound.

Mick Taylor plays bass on Tumbling Dice. I don't know who plays bass on Tumblin' Dice.

Date: September 4, 2019 09:29

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

I was thinking of Charlie's absence, too smiling smiley

Taylor's bass on (the whole) TD sounds nothing like Bill. Too busy. It's Jimmy Miller on drums for the last half of TD, btw.

Date: September 4, 2019 11:05

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

Taylor's bass on (the whole) TD sounds nothing like Bill. Too busy. It's Jimmy Miller on drums for the last half of TD, btw.

Busy? It's got that high choke up on the neck, with precisely placed notes.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 4, 2019 11:23

Love it. Perfect Single, staggering solid.
Everything including percussion is State of the Art
At least for me it is when I consider
That slamming trapdoor Riff that sucks you in like a vacuum,
And then Pow !!
Bill and Charlie come into it.

That sparkling Intro is deservedly unforgettable impact...
...One of the best post Mick Taylor guitar displays imo.
Just a super duper great track...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 4, 2019 11:34

It was the early 80s and I was very young, there was a jukebox in the bar downstairs, Start me up was one of the most popular songs and it was thanks to this song that I met the Rolling Stones.
I think the song is the perfect synthesis of rock'n roll revised years later.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 11:40

emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

I agree.

Date: September 4, 2019 12:02

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

Busy? It's got that high choke up on the neck, with precisely placed notes.

Often on the beat, as opposed to Bill's playing style - with his wonderful "walking style". Easy to spot the difference for me.

It's good, though, but in a different way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 12:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 4, 2019 18:20

audun-eg
Start Me Up is the reason I became a fan. Simply a work of art!

I so agree with this. I must have listened to it 100s of times. A friend had a vinyl copy of tattoo you, and this was the song I particularly went for...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:13

hopkins
Love it. Perfect Single, staggering solid.
Everything including percussion is State of the Art
At least for me it is when I consider
That slamming trapdoor Riff that sucks you in like a vacuum,
And then Pow !!
Bill and Charlie come into it.

That sparkling Intro is deservedly unforgettable impact...
...One of the best post Mick Taylor guitar displays imo.
Just a super duper great track...

Well said!

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 19:15 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 9, 2019 11:34

For me SMU is a relentless sh*tkicking rocket ride until that moment in the song when the engines are briefly switched off and I free fall for about 6 heavenly seconds. But all of the lyrics sites I’ve visited always fail to transcribe this divine moment properly. It should read something like this:'seeeeennnnnyayeeehyeah.’ But they always leave out the ‘yay-eeeh-yeah.’ Am I right? It’s the best moment in the song!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 9, 2019 11:45

As soon as the bass kicks in you can't walk normal anymore, but you have to prance like a peacock. So I think the song works, yes.

Mathijs

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 9, 2019 12:07

A real banger!

Played this (and a few other Stones tunes) at my wedding.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 9, 2019 22:00

DandelionPowderman
Take It So Hard and How I Wish both deserve a mention regarding the great recycling of open G-riffs. Then we have Eileen, Love is Strong and even You Got Me Rocking. Perhaps not his greatest songs, but the riffs sure are great, imo.

When I hear the intro to Take It So Hard I instantly get the same feeling as when SMU kicks off.

And don't forget CYHMK

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 9, 2019 22:04

Mathijs
As soon as the bass kicks in you can't walk normal anymore, but you have to prance like a peacock. So I think the song works, yes.

Mathijs

I challenge anyone to not do this.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 10, 2019 01:27

Swayed1967, I love that moment too, that beautiful ragged harmony.

Date: September 10, 2019 05:21

It's one of those Stones classic singles that you aren't quite sure of it the first time you hear it. Like Miss You. Start Me Up I heard over the radio in the kitchen of a restaurant I was waiting tables at. It heard a bunch of elements of a song, but I'm not sure they hung together. Repeated listenings, as on many of their songs, brought it together.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 10, 2019 09:56

GasLightStreet
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
emotionalbarbecue
No Bill no Start me up.

Mick Taylor plays bass on Tumbling Dice. I don't know who plays bass on Tumblin' Dice.

Mic Taylor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-10 09:56 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: September 10, 2019 10:34

I was there when the lyrics were written. I was a teenage girl and I'd known them a week or two. Keith's Jaguar was parked outside. It was the start of the most wonderful two relationships in my life. I still try my best to inspire. Can't wait until the next album!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 10, 2019 11:25

chatoyancy
I was there when the lyrics were written. I was a teenage girl and I'd known them a week or two. Keith's Jaguar was parked outside. It was the start of the most wonderful two relationships in my life. I still try my best to inspire. Can't wait until the next album!

Very cryptic...So Keith's Jag was parked outside...That seems reasonable. By chance was there a corpse in the back seat with an afterglow?

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 10, 2019 14:49

24FPS
It's one of those Stones classic singles that you aren't quite sure of it the first time you hear it. Like Miss You. Start Me Up I heard over the radio in the kitchen of a restaurant I was waiting tables at. It heard a bunch of elements of a song, but I'm not sure they hung together. Repeated listenings, as on many of their songs, brought it together.

Perfectly described!!!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 10, 2019 17:35

Probably in the minority here, but I'm bored to death with this song. I could easily go the rest of my life without ever hearing it again. (Along with LSTNT and Satisfaction.)

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home