Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Start Me Up
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2014 02:07

Interesting that Branson chose a song that the Stones 'brooded over' for a few years...

Date: October 17, 2014 14:22

As it has ben mentioned by some people in this thread his key role is essential.

Sad Bill is criminally fogotten by certain fans.

Date: October 17, 2014 16:41

Listen to the "reggae" version and Bill's doing the same bass line as the rock version! It's hilarious.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:20

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Perhaps the Stones have more 'nah, wipe it' tracks laying about that are potential hits. That's their problem - they've been relying on doing things in a planned way instead of just winging something.

Are you talking about the same band that did those two opening shows in Philly in 1981?

:-)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:23

GasLightStreet
Listen to the "reggae" version and Bill's doing the same bass line as the rock version! It's hilarious.

i listened to it again. i think one of the most noticeable runs is the same, but otherwise the bass part is very different, as one would expect.

anyone think they should have released the reggae version as the B-side of the rock version? ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 03:45 by Turner68.

Start Me Up
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 16, 2018 13:50

How good is it? -Originally a reggae song dating back to 1975. A riff by Keith is repeated through the song. It gives me slight memories of Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women, but I would rather say a poor man`s version of those songs. Do tribute bands play this song?

Re: Start Me Up
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 16, 2018 13:58

It's their last big hit. Still played regularly at sports arenas and every RS gig. If you don't like this one you will have to go back more than 40 years to find anything better.

Date: November 16, 2018 14:01

More thoughts about that track in Track Talk: Start Me Up

Stoneage: I think three years will suffice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-16 14:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 16, 2018 15:23

Are there any completed outtake versions around?

Date: November 16, 2018 15:35

Father Ted
Are there any completed outtake versions around?

Read the track talk

- Three versions of Never Stop, done reggae style
- Two versions of Never Stop, done rock style
- One acoustic version
- Four or five versions of the released version, one of which we could hear at the Exhibitionism

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 16, 2018 15:39

I'm always changing my mind about Stones's music. At this point, I hear SMU and YCAGWYW on a regular basis everywhere I am. Thus, I have no problems if they don't play either song during the US leg of this tour. SMU does not have the same impact as it did in 1981 or even during the Licks tour. Like I said, I could feel differently about this topic next week.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-16 15:49 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 16, 2018 17:01

Alas, like Satisfaction, YCAGWYW, Miss You, and others, I love it, but have heard it to death.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 16, 2018 17:21

Simple & overplayed it may be ....

...but Keith still manages to find little new twists on the timing & phrasing of the riffs for every tour.

Date: November 17, 2018 03:00

I remember when I got REWIND on CD, the first Stones CD I got, and... I heard the cowbell. For whatever reason, I never heard it on vinyl. So, naturally, I put the vinyl version of TATTOO YOU on and now I could hear it.

Weird.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 17, 2018 06:56

a real toe tapper

Date: November 17, 2018 07:00

the dead man coming i don't get tho
where is he going if he's dead?
get real boys thats sloppy writing.
a dead man comes where? he comes to the graveyard before he begins
to throw a stink is where he comes
jeepers
you make a dead man come where how can he come if he's already gone?
this is the kind of thing that shows they were slipping up in the lrics department
thats an amateur misteak
even tho we still love them because they've been so many centuries and are still coming so i don't get it but it's got a bit of a groove going it's hard to deny that much

i think i've got a knack for the criticism thing and want to follow up on it.
i will listen, actually, to THE knack while I'm thinking some more about it.
if you want to throw me an album, or song, to review, I'll send the entries
to staff and pick one now and again -----

my my my my my sharona
whoa good drums

___
see?
i can handle this

(only 5 or so 'edits' and ....)
....Presto

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-17 07:07 by hopkins.

Date: November 17, 2018 07:09

this one sticks to the ribs
yummy
they should play this every show

Date: November 17, 2018 14:35

hopkins
jeepers
this is the kind of thing that shows they were slipping up in the lrics department
thats an amateur misteak
even tho we still love them because they've been so many centuries and are still coming so i don't get it but it's got a bit of a groove going it's hard to deny that much

my my my my my sharona
whoa good drums

___
see?
i can handle this

....Presto

You make a dead man come is an American expression for....never mind

Date: November 17, 2018 16:45

Chris Fountain
hopkins
jeepers
thats an amateur misteak

my my my my my sharona
whoa good drums

___
see?
i can handle this

....Presto

Yes it is obvious that it is "you make a dead man cum". But.. I'm sure that Hop is aware of that expression. So he is probably fooling with us.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: November 17, 2018 17:41

I have often wondered what would have happened to the Stones if they had not 'rediscovered' that one son Start Me Up. The trajectory of their career may have been a lot different...

Date: November 17, 2018 20:20

Palace Revolution 2000
Chris Fountain
hopkins
jeepers
thats an amateur misteak

my my my my my sharona
whoa good drums

___
see?
i can handle this

....Presto

Yes it is obvious that it is "you make a dead man cum". But.. I'm sure that Hop is aware of that expression. So he is probably fooling with us.

I think you are correct about the "fooling with us" part because I can't believe anyone has lived that sheltered of a life. Especially folks in this forum. It's universal sex terminology.

Date: November 18, 2018 07:07

This is where Mick got 'dead man come' from.

Lucille Bogan's Shave 'Em Dry from 1935
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 18, 2018 23:15

I loved Start Me Up when it came out but then it wore off pretty quickly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2018 00:54

doitywoik
I loved Start Me Up when it came out but then it wore off pretty quickly.

Same here, but for me I think it was a forced love with the new album and the new tour happening a month or so after.
After that, the honeymoon was over, and Start Me Up soon became my least favorite tune on the entire album.
Then you consider the barrage/overkill of hearing it during basketball games, etc. over the years, and then the advertisements...no escaping it.
And of all the warhorses they play live, easily my least favorite with the exception of the opening riff (when it's played properly).
I'd probably like it better if there was a remix of just the first 10 seconds on repeat for five minutes.winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 19, 2018 02:34

Of course SMU is a boring warhorse now. But that goes for SF, HTW, JJF and the others too. Beaten to death live. But I still think the original studio version holds up pretty well.
Maybe it's generic; but then again that's the Stones I like. Charlie likes hits and SMU was their last one. Unless you think You Got Me Rocking Now was a bigger one...

Date: November 19, 2018 02:40

Hairball
Then you consider the barrage/overkill of hearing it during basketball games, etc. over the years, and then the advertisements...no escaping it.

Well, baseball is not an issue over here grinning smiley, but otherwise same deal: the single was played up and down the radio and in discotheques until I couldn't take it any longer. And the rest of the album is much stronger in the bottom line (Slave became soon my favourite track on TY, and still is). But I kinda love the gymnastics video, it's so funny (especially if you turn the sound off ...).

Not sure if it was forced love with me. I didn't really like the disco Stones and eunuch Jagger singles, and was happy they finally released something with a catchy riff, that sounded like the Stones. Not a new Brown Sugar, but OK. Also a great album opener.

The tour came over here in 1982 only and was accompanied by Still Life, so no direct connection with SMU. The single then was Going To A Go-Go, which also got considerable airplay.

Date: November 19, 2018 04:35

Stoneage
Of course SMU is a boring warhorse now. But that goes for SF, HTW, JJF and the others too. Beaten to death live. But I still think the original studio version holds up pretty well.
Maybe it's generic; but then again that's the Stones I like. Charlie likes hits and SMU was their last one. Unless you think You Got Me Rocking Now was a bigger one...

I doubt anything thinks that. Technically speaking, SMU got to #2 in the US, UOTN #9 and Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions #5 - and all of those had higher chart numbers than in the UK.

In the US YGMR peaked at #113 so... it's not even a quasi-hit. Mixed Emotions was their last Top 10, Rock And A Hard Place was their second to last Top 40 hit (#23) and only Doom And Gloom (#35) has charted higher than anything since RAAHP, all of which have been from 49 to 113, which, as far as hits go, they have not had any since Mixed Emotions, and hardly anyone remembers that one as it is. For whatever reason the Stones like to play YGMR. There are, of course, a gazillion better songs they could play.

Hang Fire (#20) and Waiting On A Friend (#13) are bigger hits than anything since except for UOTN, Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions.

Date: November 19, 2018 05:06

Of all the live versions I've ever heard, 1989 Atlantic City is the best one - and Ronnie's best solo and playing. Just brilliant. True absolute perfection, that one.

Date: November 19, 2018 10:19

Atlantic City 1989 is about the best live version of anything they played there ... winking smiley

Date: November 19, 2018 10:29

I know it's in fashion to diss Start Me Up, but the original studio take is a colossus. The song is monumental, the production is ace and the playing is total awesomeness.

Weirdly enough, the song has never fared that well in concert, imo. They had the groove down in 1989, with Atlantic City as the highlight. After the US-leg of SW something happened to Keith's guitar sound. Some of the crunch and distortion was gone. His sound has remained that way since, with two exceptions: The ABB-tour and the Zip Code Tour. I really don't know why that is. I think he got the grit back for that latter tour because of CYHMK and some other songs (because he had trouble playing the riff without distortion), while they just cranked it up for the ABB-tour (not Keith's best tour, though).

Unfortunately, SMU never really became the concert highlight it deserved to be, after 1989.

While we're waiting for that to happen we can always enjoy this:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-19 10:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home