Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Start Me Up
Date: October 9, 2014 14:43

stonehearted
Well Keith said "recorded" which I would take to mean "committed to tape". It's controversial here because we've only heard about the Some Girls versions. Who knows what else they've got locked away in the vault? We haven't heard every take of every session by any stretch.

True, but then there are all the other sourced (far more sources) saying "the Stones did 40 takes of NS/SMU in one long session, and then forgot about the track".

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 9, 2014 14:50

Doxa
Like I said I have some diffuculties in trying to be 'objective' about "Start Me Up" (or TATTOO YOU altogether), since it obviously means that much to me. It was a perfect introductionary song for fresh ears.
- Doxa

The song that to me had something of the same initiating role that "Start Me Up" had to you, was an even earlier song than the first song I noticed on the radio, "The Last Time". One guy I went to school with, had the first two albums and AROUND AND AROUND. All of which I listened to at his home for a longer period, before "The Last Time" was new. The first song that caught me, was either one track of the latter compilation, but most probably "Tell Me". You have developed an admirable ability to regard your first loved Stones song with something of a critical eye also, at the same time as you keep on loving it, I have not developed that ability. To this day I have to admit that I am unable cool smiley to see any weaknesses about that song, either because I am blind, possibly, or because the song is at least rather good. To me still much more than that.

Originally I did not love, but liked the Beatles and liked them more. When "Yesterday" and "The Last Time" were released, it meant goodbye to the Beatles and uncontested preference for the Rolling Stones. Some years went before I could acknowledge the Beatles for being any good again. To precise, I never grew into fanship towards the Beatles, whereas it was a somewhat protracted process that made me a fan of the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-09 14:52 by Witness.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 9, 2014 15:27

stonehearted
<<The only statement that comes close to 1975 is a statement by Richards from 1981 where he says that they recorded the track '5 years ago'.>>

Actually, I like that source even better. Thanks for clearing that up. Black and Blue sessions it is then. At least in terms of origins and such. So that's why so many think it originates from B&B--because one of its composers indeed confirmed it before too much time had passed to muddle the memory banks.

There where no B&B sessions in 1976. In fact, there where no sessions at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 9, 2014 17:03

with sssoul
stonehearted
Okay, let's. Here is a 2004 article and interview with Chris Kimsey published with Sound On Sound (SOS). SOS writer Richard Buskin actually sat down and talked with the actual Chris Kimsey and this is what he actually wrote in the actual article:

"The definitive latter-day Stones rocker, 'Start Me Up' is distinguished — like many of the band's other classic tracks — by an instantly recognisable opening guitar riff. However, it actually started life as a reggae song, committed to tape in March 1975 during the Black & Blue sessions ...

But that's what Bushkin wrote, not what Kimsey said. He may have been so sure he knew that
that he didn't even ask Kimsey. It happens. Keith's autobiography lists Satisfaction
among the examples of open-G tuning, but it sure as hell wasn't Keith who said that.

And Rocks Off...which, the way it reads, Keith said.

Not that it matters really... painting the ceiling... etc.

Date: October 9, 2014 17:08

Doxa - have you ever seen someone do The Mick when UOTNight or LIStrong comes on like they do with Start Me Up?

NO! is the correct answer! That's how impressive SMU was when it came out and continues to be to this day. Aside from the fact that it's a dumb song lyrically musically it's one of those bash you over the head tunes. They've not had an impressive opening riff song since SMU with that impact... especially as a single.

Date: October 9, 2014 17:18

GasLightStreet
Doxa - have you ever seen someone do The Mick when UOTNight or LIStrong comes on like they do with Start Me Up?

NO! is the correct answer! That's how impressive SMU was when it came out and continues to be to this day. Aside from the fact that it's a dumb song lyrically musically it's one of those bash you over the head tunes. They've not had an impressive opening riff song since SMU with that impact... especially as a single.

And only Satisfaction and JJF can compete with it from their back catalogue, imo.

Date: October 9, 2014 17:41

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

And only Satisfaction and JJF can compete with it from their back catalogue, imo.

Eh, you really need to include Brown Sugar in that. I find Brown Sugar to be their most identifying song regarding their biggest hits. I know Satisfaction put them on the map but Brown Sugar has something that's beyond incredible.

But essentially you're right! Somehow I find Satisfaction to be incredibly boring... gee, I wonder why. Which is sort of funny. It's been on the radio for ages, on comps, and yet live they've never come close to playing it the way they recorded it.

And the best live performance of it was the 1969 tour, at least in regard to what I've heard of it live. Not sure I've heard a 1971 version of it.

Date: October 9, 2014 17:54

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Eh, you really need to include Brown Sugar in that. I find Brown Sugar to be their most identifying song regarding their biggest hits. I know Satisfaction put them on the map but Brown Sugar has something that's beyond incredible.

But essentially you're right! Somehow I find Satisfaction to be incredibly boring... gee, I wonder why. Which is sort of funny. It's been on the radio for ages, on comps, and yet live they've never come close to playing it the way they recorded it.

And the best live performance of it was the 1969 tour, at least in regard to what I've heard of it live. Not sure I've heard a 1971 version of it.

Yep, BS, too. However, there are fans who claim that Keith had nothing to do with that riff. I'm not one of them, though smiling smiley

Date: October 9, 2014 18:28

How could Keith not have had anything to do with it? He PLAYS it! So what if Mick wrote the riff and the song. That's like saying SFTD isn't a great song because Mick wrote it as a folk song...

Date: October 9, 2014 19:27

When I say "Keith-riff", I mean his riffs - not cover song-riffs or riffs that other people wrote...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 9, 2014 20:22

Decent Stones song..at the time it restored my faith in music when things musically were heading down the pan.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 9, 2014 21:47

A reggae version.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 9, 2014 21:47

Drew

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2014 23:36

Jump Back liner notes ...............

ROCKMAN

Date: October 10, 2014 15:57

Perhaps the Stones have more 'nah, wipe it' tracks laying about that are potential hits. That's their problem - they've been relying on doing things in a planned way instead of just winging something.

Date: October 10, 2014 16:00

GasLightStreet
Perhaps the Stones have more 'nah, wipe it' tracks laying about that are potential hits. That's their problem - they've been relying on doing things in a planned way instead of just winging something.

Are you talking about the same band that did those two opening shows in Philly in 1981?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 10, 2014 16:03

GasLightStreet

My own guess is that the material that is out on bootlegs or trading circles is not even 10% of what is available in the vaults.

Mathijs

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: October 10, 2014 16:08

Mathijs
My own guess is that the material that is out on bootlegs or trading circles is not even 10% of what is available in the vaults.

Maybe, but I see there wasn't 90% unheard material on the 2 deluxe releases.

Date: October 10, 2014 16:21

The SOME GIRLS extra disc alone was a joke considering what was left off of it from the SG sessions and then they include ER session tracks?

And they picked mostly borrrrring tracks to put on it?

Kimsey said there were 20 that he had. So maybe Mick worked on 20. Regardless, I'd like to hear what wasn't released on TATTOO YOU.

Date: October 10, 2014 16:43

GasLightStreet
The SOME GIRLS extra disc alone was a joke considering what was left off of it from the SG sessions and then they include ER session tracks?

Kimsey said there were 20 that he had. So maybe Mick worked on 20. Regardless, I'd like to hear what wasn't released on TATTOO YOU.

Claudine and We had It All were a ER session-tracks. Tallahassee Lassie was in between sessions, straight after the SG-tour. The rest was from the SG-sessions, no?

Date: October 10, 2014 16:59

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Claudine and We had It All were a ER session-tracks. Tallahassee Lassie was in between sessions, straight after the SG-tour. The rest was from the SG-sessions, no?

Anything post-SG sessions was ER sessions! The 26th August - 6th September: Los Angeles, RCA Studios sessions have Summer Romance and Where The Boys Go. The January 1979 ER sessions they were in the Bahamas, which Bill said not much was done, and I'm guessing he means 'finished', but that's where All About You, Little T&A, Think I'm Going Mad and She's So Cold is from, regardless of being finished.

We Had It All is from the June 1979 session.

Date: October 10, 2014 17:11

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Anything post-SG sessions was ER sessions! The 26th August - 6th September: Los Angeles, RCA Studios sessions have Summer Romance and Where The Boys Go. The January 1979 ER sessions they were in the Bahamas, which Bill said not much was done, and I'm guessing he means 'finished', but that's where All About You, Little T&A, Think I'm Going Mad and She's So Cold is from, regardless of being finished.

Well, I suppose you can say that they became part of the ER sessions, but they weren't meant to be..

All About You was the last song they finished on the ER sessions, btw.

Date: October 11, 2014 05:39

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Well, I suppose you can say that they became part of the ER sessions, but they weren't meant to be..

All About You was the last song they finished on the ER sessions, btw.

Well, according to nzentgraf it was started during the second session, the Bahamas sessions. Do you mean by finished it was the last song mixed during the November - possibly January 1981 mixing sessions? There's no way of telling what order of songs they did regarding overdubs... that I'm aware of other than the odd statement in a book or two.

Date: October 11, 2014 09:19

Keith, Ronnie and Charlie said it was the last one they finished, if memory serves.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 11, 2014 12:43

Rockman

Jump Back liner notes ...............

So I guess this clears that little point up. It originates from the Munich sessions in 75.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: October 11, 2014 13:14

Silver Dagger
So I guess this clears that little point up. It originates from the Munich sessions in 75.

Not really...

LiveAtHidepark
stonehearted

Why is it that this "wrong information" is so widely disseminated?

Because of the wrong information on the notes of the Jump Back compilation.

Date: October 16, 2014 02:40

Usually when these Track Talk songs come up I don't really get into the tune too much unless it's an odd track. But for some reason I've found myself listening to, and liking, Start Me Up again.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 16, 2014 08:26

Yeah, I feel the same way.

I was on YouTube looking for outtakes when I found this one. What do you think?

ROLLING STONES: Living In The Heart Of Love (Outt…: [youtu.be]

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 16, 2014 09:41

RomanCandle
Am I the only one who doesn't like this song?

I have no love for it

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 17, 2014 01:56

I'm just finishing Richard Branson's new book THE VIRGIN WAY, and this is how he closes the Epilogue: "Don't brood over one idea or another for two or three years as many people do—give it a go!...If music helps get you going, then crank up the volume and let the Rolling Stones blast you into action with START ME UP."

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home