Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: DIRTY WORK - True Fans Badge Of Honor!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:14

KSIE
treaclefingers
Ridiculous. This is a lousy album and has nothing to do with a 'shouting Mick' or a "too loud Charlie".

The writing is pathetic. Back to Zero, Hold Back, Dirty Work??

Come On!

Come On wasn't on Dirty Work. More Hot Rocks IIRC.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

DAMN, you're right!

ALSO, it is on their first 45, which I'm very fortunate to own several copies of!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:25

Some terrible tracks on that album.

But some good ones as well!

One Hit, H. Shuffle, Had it with you, Dirty Work and Sleep tonight. So that makes for 5 good songs after all! Not that bad!

Plus I think some of the original rough stuff had been better before all those overdubs. And some of the session material like I want nobody else,etc. could have grown quite nice too after some more work.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:59

Well, I am a "real fan" by anyone's definition and I think DW is truly a steaming, foul-smelling, coiled turd, for all the reasons mentioned by myself and others in the several DW threads that have come before this one.

I don't see why someone has to torture themselves to prove they are a "true fan". Crap songs are crap songs. Guitar "sounds" can't salvage them.

Sorry for the edits, can't type today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 00:02 by 71Tele.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 20, 2010 00:47

treaclefingers
Ridiculous. This is a lousy album and has nothing to do with a 'shouting Mick' or a "too loud Charlie".

Come On!

Agreed. It's a very poor effort. It was the first and only Stones album that I have ever disliked. I still listen once in a while but it's way back on the list, even behind Metamorphosis.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:52

Other than "Zero", not bad.

Date: July 20, 2010 02:03

LeonidP
treaclefingers

Come On!

Agreed. It's a very poor effort. It was the first and only Stones album that I have ever disliked. I still listen once in a while but it's way back on the list, even behind Metamorphosis.

Yes, the really disappointing thing was the cover...insofar as I remember thinking, "OK, wrapped in red cellophane, OK, interesting...A hype sticker with a cartoon chick with droopy boobs captioned "Are ya gonna follow the beat, or do I gotta whip ya?"

Huh? ...(cellophane quickly removed) ugh, what are those colours they are wearing?? Why are they sprawled out on the floor and furniture?

OH well, the music at least can't be as bad as the cover.

Let's put on the album shall we (WARNING, you are about to get a 'blow by blow' account of my first DW listen)...hmmm, what's this first track? ONE HIT TO THE BODY, nice, not bad at all, guitars sound razor sharp, Mick screaming...I like it...NO, I LOVE IT!

What's next then?...FIGHT, uh...a little argumentative for my taste. What's the next one, HARLEM SHUFFLE, right, that's the single, umm...OK a little limp, next track? HOLD BACK...what the hell was that? That sounded stupid!

TOO RUDE...stones doing reggae (I thought Keith got that out of his system with the Harder They Come single)...whoa though...this time they're trying to do it 'straight'...don't worry, I'll forget about this one quickly...

Wow...side one done already? Perhaps we're just building to a crescendo?

OK, flip the record over, cue the stylus....lead track side two, WINNING UGLY, huh??? What the hell was that? "I Wanna Be On Top...I Wanna Win that Cup and get my money baby"?? As bad as the music is, the lyrics are atrocious!

OK, things are bound to get better now, BACK TO ZERO oh my gawd, this is awful...I've only got three songs left and I'm in tears!

DIRTY WORK...this is the album's title track, WTF?!?!...now I'm depressed.

HAD IT WITH YOU...a surprise...not bad. Not great mind you, but compared to what we've had to this point, not to f'ing bad!

SLEEP TONIGHT...OK, we're invited to take a hit with Keith and pass out.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??????

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:07

"Winning Ugly" always had a nice Motown vibe to me.

Date: July 20, 2010 02:13

Elmo Lewis
"Winning Ugly" always had a nice Motown vibe to me.

Would have preferred a MOTOWN cover in it's place. Oh wait, they did "Harlem Shuffle".

hmmm...how about 'Stop in the Name of Love' instead?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:38

Thats the way I feel about Undercover but I usually get crucified for it!!!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:06

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers

Come On!

Yes, the really disappointing thing was the cover...insofar as I remember thinking, "OK, wrapped in red cellophane, OK, interesting...A hype sticker with a cartoon chick with droopy boobs captioned "Are ya gonna follow the beat, or do I gotta whip ya?"

Huh? ...(cellophane quickly removed) ugh, what are those colours they are wearing?? Why are they sprawled out on the floor and furniture?

Let's put on the album shall we (WARNING, you are about to get a 'blow by blow' account of my first DW listen)...hmmm, what's this first track? ONE HIT TO THE BODY, nice, not bad at all, guitars sound razor sharp, Mick screaming...I like it...NO, I LOVE IT!

What's next then?...FIGHT, uh...a little argumentative for my taste. What's the next one, HARLEM SHUFFLE, right, that's the single, umm...OK a little limp, next track? HOLD BACK...what the hell was that? That sounded stupid!

TOO RUDE...stones doing reggae (I thought Keith got that out of his system with the Harder They Come single)...whoa though...this time they're trying to do it 'straight'...don't worry, I'll forget about this one quickly...

OK, flip the record over, cue the stylus....lead track side two, WINNING UGLY, huh??? What the hell was that? "I Wanna Be On Top...I Wanna Win that Cup and get my money baby"?? As bad as the music is, the lyrics are atrocious!

OK, things are bound to get better now, BACK TO ZERO oh my gawd, this is awful...I've only got three songs left and I'm in tears!

HAD IT WITH YOU...a surprise...not bad. Not great mind you, but compared to what we've had to this point, not to f'ing bad!

LOL! I agree w/ almost all of this, especially One Hit ... love that! My disagreement is with Too Rude -- it's no Feel On Baby, but I still like it.

Date: July 20, 2010 04:13

LeonidP

LOL! I agree w/ almost all of this, especially One Hit ... love that! My disagreement is with Too Rude -- it's no Feel On Baby, but I still like it.[/quote]

Sadly, Too Rude is my 3rd favourite track on the album.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:33

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers

Come On!

Liked your analysis....was laughing with each description of all the songs.

Wow, I forgot all about the red cellophane & sticker but can certainly recall it now. Two albums in a row with stickers: Undercover & DW. Must have been a mid-80's thing.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:07

It should say...

Possibly the most underrated and least valued album of the Stones' career, Dirty Work finds the band at its rawest and most rhythmically challenged, a reflection of the tumult within the band when it was recorded. True Stones fans have long worn their appreciation of Dirty Work as a hip badge of honor, similar to how people seem to love a broken down car that isn't worth fixing.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:12

skipstone
It should say...

Possibly the most underrated and least valued album of the Stones' career, Dirty Work finds the band at its rawest and most rhythmically challenged, a reflection of the tumult within the band when it was recorded. True Stones fans have long worn their appreciation of Dirty Work as a hip badge of honor, similar to how people seem to love a broken down car that isn't worth fixing.

It's not underrated if it isn't rated well because it stinks. I'd say the songwriting was more "challenged" than the rhythms. Love it if you must, but it's still a broken down car that isn't worth fixing (as you said).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:19

Ha ha. Well, you're right, yes. Although I do like the album, it certainly is not something that really ever comes up in conversation.

It still cracks me up that Keith totally ripped off the bridge of Coming Down Again to form the main basis of Sleep Tonight.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 20, 2010 10:24

Errr... correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Anthony De Curtis paid to write that article by Rollingstones.com? Or was it lifted from another paid job, such as the liner notes on an album? Whatever, the article is just a sales job... airbrushing... "a hip badge of honour"??? No sir, the album just sucks. We can think about why it sucks, maybe it is the songs, maybe it is the lack of input from Jagger or Watts, maybe it is the singing style, maybe it is the production style, maybe it was just the influence of mid-1980s corporate rock... whatever, it sucked! It would be great if an official site for a band could just be honest when outlining the history or discography of a band. Instead of, essentially, reducing everything to the same level ('all our albums are great!').

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 10:29 by bolexman.

Date: July 20, 2010 20:51

uhbuhgullayew
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers

Come On!

Wow, I forgot all about the red cellophane & sticker but can certainly recall it now. Two albums in a row with stickers: Undercover & DW. Must have been a mid-80's thing.

Thank you for your kind words...I'm blushing. grinning smiley

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:06

No disrespect to C Watts but in my humble opinion he is NOT one Rocks the greatest drummers. Very good but I think there are probably 10 others that I think are better. Don't get me wrong I love the guy. Just doesn't rank up there with some of the best

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:33

Gteat review, treacle! It brought back a lot of memories. Not good ones, though.

Date: July 21, 2010 01:02

gimmelittledrink
Gteat review, treacle! It brought back a lot of memories. Not good ones, though.

Thank you thank you, you're too kind.

You like me, you really really like me!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:11

Glad Steve Lillywhite had been Undercover the album before...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 21, 2010 02:13

treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers

Come On!

Treaclefingers, I look forward to you (hopefully) providing a comprehensive overview of more albums song-by-song like you did with Dirty Work. That was very cool!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 21, 2010 02:23

It's pathetic for what it tries to be, but isn't. It's musical porn. Lots of grunting, but no real passion. I am not sure what is worse: Middle aged men grasping for youth; or middle aged men grasping for the youth market.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 21, 2010 02:32

Lots of riffs (One Hit, Fight, Hold Back, Dirty Work, and Had It w/ You), but the songs aren't fully formed. Some are truly embarrassing (Winning Ugly and Back to Zero). Jagger phoned in his lyrics and vocals. It's half bad.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 21, 2010 17:37

bolexman
Errr... correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Anthony De Curtis paid to write that article by Rollingstones.com? Or was it lifted from another paid job, such as the liner notes on an album? Whatever, the article is just a sales job... airbrushing... "a hip badge of honour"??? No sir, the album just sucks. We can think about why it sucks, maybe it is the songs, maybe it is the lack of input from Jagger or Watts, maybe it is the singing style, maybe it is the production style, maybe it was just the influence of mid-1980s corporate rock... whatever, it sucked! It would be great if an official site for a band could just be honest when outlining the history or discography of a band. Instead of, essentially, reducing everything to the same level ('all our albums are great!').

this is my feeling too bolexman. it seems like it was a pr write-up not really close to journalism or any kind of criticism or even critical perspective. that writer knows better. this is a bit of a puff job imo. i can't take it seriously for a second.

and thank you for really appreciated comments you've made in some of the threads; very kind and it's good to be in touch!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 21, 2010 18:57

....a wet firecracker

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 21, 2010 19:01

treacle pretty much nailed it. of course being devout stones followers, many of us were in denial about our true feelings at the time. with age we've come to accept that the stones can suck as much as the next band when they put their minds to it.

Date: July 21, 2010 21:44

uhbuhgullayew
treaclefingers
uhbuhgullayew
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers

Come On!

Treaclefingers, I look forward to you (hopefully) providing a comprehensive overview of more albums song-by-song like you did with Dirty Work. That was very cool!

Hey, thank you...and StonesTod as well!

I think we should start a thread called Stones Album: BLOW BY BLOW and do a different Stones Album once a week.

I'm far too lazy to take the responsibility for this however.

ANYONE out there take the call??

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 22, 2010 15:36

crappy album

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2010 17:43

slew
crappy album

as an advocate of brevity, i would like to commend and highlight your post and encourage others to follow suit.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home