Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Star Star
Date: September 30, 2014 14:18

That's true, but you never know with these guys. I never thought I'd hear I Wanna Be Your Man, I'm Going Down, Get Off Of My Cloud, Out Of Control or It's All Over Now in London in 2012 smileys with beer

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 14:28

Hope for some nice surprises when they get back!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 30, 2014 14:43

Just as Back in the USSR could only be writen by a "non-rocker" who doesnt take rock n roll too seriously @#$%& or Brown Sugar for that matter could only be written by Jagger. It makes perfect sense. Keith (and Lennon) is rock n roll and thats why his attribute is the minimalistic riff that comes from playing guitar for hours. Using rock as a format is typical Jagger. Same goes for McCartney (Back in the USSR).

Date: September 30, 2014 14:44

That said Jagger did write some great riffs and some who should have been Keith: Fingerprint File (the intro) is a good example although the song and the riff is pretty much used as a formula for something else: Jagger doing funk (sort of). Had it been Keith the riff probably would have been more focused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 14:46 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: September 30, 2014 15:42

From which tour is your favourite version?

1973:

1975:

1976:

1978:

1979: grinning smiley

1981:

1997:
Rehearsal

Live (with echo)

2002/2003: Couldn't find the Licks Tour-versions on Youtube...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 15:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 30, 2014 16:15

DandelionPowderman
From which tour is your favourite version?

1973:

1975:

1976:

1978:

1979: grinning smiley

1981:

1997:
Rehearsal

Live (with echo)

2002/2003: Couldn't find the Licks Tour-versions on Youtube...

Nice compilation: the best is in my opinion the 75 version, the most interesting the f u c k i n g dirty one from 79.

Date: September 30, 2014 16:28

1979 is a lovely mess. Mic trouble, Ronnie fvcks up, then corrects it so Mick can enter - and eventually, after singing one verse, Mick wrecks it completely by going straight to the chorus >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 30, 2014 17:21

Does anyone have an accurate tab transcription of the intro?

I know it's played at the 12th fret, that's all! grinning smiley

That japanese guy nails the LYL vesion pretty well... (imo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 17:46 by dcba.

Date: September 30, 2014 17:36

1976!! and 1975!!! The best live versions.

Posted by: beno ()
Date: September 30, 2014 17:38

I always felt that there 2 songs on GHS which don't fit well the album: Angie, and Star, although for completely different reasons.

Otherwise, Star Star at the end of GHS is similar to Mean Dispostion's placed at the end of VL.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 30, 2014 17:59

I think with songs such as 'Angie' and 'Star Star' mixed in with tracks such as 'Winter' were Stones attempt to assure the album would sell well following EOMS.

Comparing GHS with say 'Sticky Fingers' is helpful in seeing that that album was both artistically and commercially successful.

On the otherhand I quite like those two tunes.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 30, 2014 18:05

DandelionPowderman
1979 is a lovely mess. Mic trouble, Ronnie fvcks up, then corrects it so Mick can enter - and eventually, after singing one verse, Mick wrecks it completely by going straight to the chorus >grinning smiley<

And after the mess Mick quotes the title of the song what they just tried to establish on stage ... A perfect candidate for the 13 Nervous Breakdowns compilation of the band, if it is not already inserted there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 18:16 by RobertJohnson.

Date: September 30, 2014 19:14

1973 is my favourite! Guitar heaven!smileys with beer

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2014 19:52

DandelionPowderman
That's true, but you never know with these guys. I never thought I'd hear I Wanna Be Your Man ... in London in 2012 smileys with beer

The "I wanna be your motherfvkcer baby" version at that - sung as if the Mick had been waiting for that opportunity since 1963 :E

But I digress.

I love the Rolling Stones

Date: September 30, 2014 20:16

They cleaned out my wallet on that November night but just the opening made it all worthwhilehot smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 30, 2014 21:13

As you may well know, when "Goat's Head Soup" was first issued in the US "Star Star" was censored so as not to offend some peoples' sensibilities but what you may not know is that it was also censored for its South African release.
grinning smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 21:19 by Deltics.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 30, 2014 21:24

Well, the South African version can be called "Star Star" with a justification... The chorus really goes "Star... Star... Star... Star..." grinning smiley

Anyway, I recall in a Rolling Stones song book I once had back in the 80's, the chorus was written "Starbucker... Starbucker... Starbucker..." What does "starbucker" mean? eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 21:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:21 by camper88.

Date: September 30, 2014 21:33

Good points, camper88. But I think "The Spider And The Fly" can be seen as an early hint of that kind of perspective.

- Doxa

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 30, 2014 22:07

My fave live version is a tie between Brussels and Live in Texas.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2014 22:45

camper88
You might say that Star St*r opened the door to this kind of perspective in the lyrics.

Interesting point you're raising, camper88.
There are earlier examples of of that perspective, though - Moonlight Mile, Rip This Joint -
and who was the reviewer who called Exile as a whole a prime example of the "celebrity blues" genre?

Date: September 30, 2014 22:50

Thank you Dandie for the clips. The Stones are brilliant doing Chuck Berry songs live and "Star Star" is pretty as close to a Chuck Berry song as it can be. I think all of those performances, even 1979 one, are cool in their own way. They always have a thing going on, when they play that number. Brussels one is so tight, each of them so concentrated to get it right (even though I am not sure if the horns are doing any good for it). Keith probably never had played it better, and Taylor is backing him up wonderfully (the thing he does in the end with his extended rhythm work is fantastic). But there is a certain charm in those loose 75/76 versions. The song has never been so fitting as it was then for them. All the decadence, their hedonistic rock star ego going nuts, Jagger's self-parodical show... "Star Star" is a perfect template for that. 1978 is okay, too - fits greatly to Jagger's Rotten persona. It was good to have a f-word song and a no bullshitting back to basics type of a song in their catalogue back then...

Hmm.. reading all of my stuff about this song above, it looks like that I am too critical towards it, or that I emphasize too much the negative tones. In teh end, I think an 'extreme' song like "Star Star", going intentionally over the top, fits damn well to Stones catalogue over-all, and enrichens it. It has balls. GOATS HEAD SOUP is a fantastic album in that sense: in one extreme we have "Angie" there adding richness and variation into their legacy, and in the other we have a middle finger song like "Star Star". The songs in that album have a meaning still.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 22:55 by Doxa.

Date: September 30, 2014 22:58

What do you people think? Can we say that "Star Star" is a classic? I think we can.

- Doxa

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 23:02

Doxa
What do you people think? Can we say that "Star Star" is a classic? I think we can.

- Doxa

Yep..... Classic Stonesthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 23:14

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:22 by camper88.

Date: September 30, 2014 23:31

camper88, awesome stuff!thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

You really nailed the nature of "Star Star". I need some time to reflect what you really say in its whole glory. Thank you.smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2014 05:04

...yeah that was good Camper88.

And maybe the saving grace is that there was no where else for them to go after Exile except SOMEWHERE ELSE so that's what they did.

I didn't happen to like it nearly as much as where they just were, but if they'd put out another album, Exile pt. 2 let's say, we would have probably complained they were just rehashing the same stuff.

They need to evolve and GHS through Black and Blue was a transitional phase.

I'd say the 'baroque' phase started with Miss You instead of Emotional Rescue but I get your point I think.

Date: October 1, 2014 10:08

Great post, camper thumbs up

Mick has stated repeatedly that this was a true story. Underlining his supposed shocking experience with parody and humour was indeed a hint of more to come in the future.

However, it wasn't exactly new to the Stones. He probably took it more to the extreme than he had done in the past, though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 1, 2014 13:12

camper88
Doxa,

I see your point, but aside from "the way I held the microphone," Spider and the Fly could be about any relationship or nearly any night out whereas Star Star is a sustained narrative about the jet set life, complete with colourful references to the rich and famous. It's explicitly self-reflexive in a way that no other Stones song had been before it--even I'm Going Home, where the character in the song could be anyone who's "spent too much time away." The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man is close--as far as its about the industry--but even TUAWCPM doesn't break the forth wall in the way that Star Star does.

I find this significant because it's a far ways from the blues (a genre that hits you at the level of common experience and suffering) to get to self-reflexive or pastiche of foundational forms of rock 'n roll. The challenge is that once you get too self-relflexive stuff it's hard to go back to being perceived as "authentic." or true. It's as if Star Star is serves as a song to announce the shift from Classic to Revisionist in a genre context.

For convenience sake I'll argue that the Stones have four phases of development:

1. Experimental (ending around Beggars)
2. Classic (starting with JJF)
3. Revisionist (starting with GHS)
4. Baroque (starting with ER)

All dates are approximate lines in the sand--for example TY may be more of a revisionist work than a baroque one. Had they continued to work Start Me Up as a Reggae song it may have been more baroque. But I digress . . . Star Star sits as an example of heightened self-awareness, self-consciously reworking familiar forms, and a potentially mocking or parodic tone. As well, only after Star Star do we really get more of this kind of perspective and self-mocking or parody in songs like Some Girls, Respectable, Far Away Eyes, or IORR, etc.

Cheers,

Camper

Wow - this is a great critique camper. It reminds me of the methods used by Ian McDonald in his brilliant re-appraisal of The Beatles' music in his ground-breaking book Revolution In The Head. You're not a psychologist or university lecturer by any chance?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 1, 2014 13:14

1973 live versions are my favourites, when Mick Taylor does those great major scale fills and licks at the end, weaving with Keith and the horns. The Brussels version is probably the best official release of the song.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home