Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Star Star
Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 25, 2022 20:37

BTW I reread John Perry's book about Exile and he has Taylor playing the second rhythm on RO and also the main guitar on Let It Loose! JP is a fine player himself (The Only Ones) so he had the technical knowledge to assess the playing styles but again he says it is more guess work than anything.

Bill Janovitz in his book also has Taylor on slide on RTJ and Soul Survivor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 20:38 by FP.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 25, 2022 21:03

Soul Survivor is without a doubt Taylor. Listen to the heavy vibrato during the outro.

Date: July 25, 2022 21:08

---

Date: July 25, 2022 21:16

FP

Do you think it is KR or MT playing slide on this instrumental of RTJ? To me it sounds like Taylor, I can't imagine Keith playing at this tempo on slide? If this is Taylor then I think he does play a few licks on RTJ. If this is Keith then I will agree RTJ is Keith.

[www.youtube.com]

Probably some joker who did the overdub at home. Too amateurish to be Taylor unless he drank 2 gallons of tequila.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 22:43

TheflyingDutchman
FP

Do you think it is KR or MT playing slide on this instrumental of RTJ? To me it sounds like Taylor, I can't imagine Keith playing at this tempo on slide? If this is Taylor then I think he does play a few licks on RTJ. If this is Keith then I will agree RTJ is Keith.

[www.youtube.com]

Probably some joker who did the overdub at home. Too amateurish to be Taylor unless he drank 2 gallons of tequila.
Maybe the other Mick is playing the slide

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 26, 2022 15:53

TravelinMan
Soul Survivor is without a doubt Taylor. Listen to the heavy vibrato during the outro.

Yes, I stand corrected.

Mathijs

Date: July 27, 2022 20:01

TheflyingDutchman
FP

[www.youtube.com]

Or he did loads of heroin...oh hang on? Seriously I think the playing it pretty cool? The intonation is a bit out and the guitar is a bit out of tune but I think there is some technique there?

Btw I remember Mathijs saying something like the electric guitar on Loving Cup couldn't be Taylor, unless he did it while really drunk and I was like "well yes maybe he was!". I mean we are talking about the most debauched recording session of all timesmiling smiley

Date: July 27, 2022 20:03

Mathijs
TravelinMan

Yes, I stand corrected.

Mathijs

A small victory for the Taylor fanssmiling smiley

Date: July 27, 2022 21:07

Could Jagger have played slide on any of the Exile sessions. He did play slide albeit 33 years later on a Bigger Bang. Ibet a lot of people thought it was Keith playing the rhythm guitars on Sway and Fingerprint File

Date: July 27, 2022 21:17

Taylor1
Could Jagger have played slide on any of the Exile sessions.

Very likely not, or just for fun, but nothing serious. Either Keith would have done it, or Mick Taylor.

Date: July 27, 2022 21:23

FP
TheflyingDutchman
FP

[www.youtube.com]

Or he did loads of heroin...oh hang on? Seriously I think the playing it pretty cool? The intonation is a bit out and the guitar is a bit out of tune but I think there is some technique there?

Btw I remember Mathijs saying something like the electric guitar on Loving Cup couldn't be Taylor, unless he did it while really drunk and I was like "well yes maybe he was!". I mean we are talking about the most debauched recording session of all timesmiling smiley

I think it's neither Taylor nor Richards. Seems some Stones fan to me who plays slide guitar, and uploaded it. He hits the lower notes quite precise, but they make no sense from a melodic point of view, a too low pitch. The higher ones are just horrible. And the guitar sound is cheap to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 21:35 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 27, 2022 23:08

TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
Could Jagger have played slide on any of the Exile sessions.

Very likely not, or just for fun, but nothing serious. Either Keith would have done it, or Mick Taylor.
John Lennon visited them at Keith’s house while they were recording Exile, maybe he snuck in and played

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 27, 2022 23:15

TheflyingDutchman
FP
TheflyingDutchman
FP

[www.youtube.com]

I think it's neither Taylor nor Richards. Seems some Stones fan to me who plays slide guitar, and uploaded it. He hits the lower notes quite precise, but they make no sense from a melodic point of view, a too low pitch. The higher ones are just horrible. And the guitar sound is cheap to my ears.

I think it’s Keith Richards and he’s doing the high part as a cue for the horns to come in. He then simplified the slide part for the record.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 28, 2022 06:13

I read some of the comments and everyone takes it so seriously, The song is fun and I love it. If it sounds good I'll listen. I can't stand all tis over analyzation. It's a good tune turn it up loud!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2022 06:51

Star Star is a dated product of its time to a point, lyrically - the names in the song.

Yet easily transferred to current times.

Musically? Timeless.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 21, 2022 14:29

I love her!
[youtu.be]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home