Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Star Star
Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: July 22, 2022 20:29

FP
automaticchanger
FP
Yes that's what I'm saying,there is no evidence of a Taylor rhythm guitar on Rock's Off. Mathijs was suggesting that rhythm parts were wiped from RO and RTJ but I don't hear evidence on any source that MT ever played a rhythm part on either.

The Exhibitionism show had multitracks of a few songs available at a listening station - IORR member mrpaulincanada recorded them:

[we.tl]

One of the tracks is Taylor's isolated rhythm part, which remains in the final mix, buried in the centre with Keith's two rhythm parts panned left (the original) and right (overdub).

Thanks very much this, really appreciated! yes this Taylor part is the one I mean. But it is not a rhythm part, it is melodic fills, some of it almost sounds like Hawaiian guitar.

Sorry if this sounds amazingly anal but my point with Mathijs was simply that he seemed to imply that Taylor's rhythm guitar style clashed with Keith in general and specifically on Exile (I may be misunderstanding him though) leading Keith to wipe Taylor's rhythm parts.

My point was that what Taylor plays on RO is not a rhythm part, it is chordal embellishments, extensions and inversions of chords.

I say this as I have played guitar for many years and worked out plenty of Stones parts so perhaps I look at this more technicallysmiling smiley

Ah, I understand your point now, I was misinterpreting before and thought you meant 'no rhythm' = 'no audible part'. In a way his part reminds me of what someone like Billy would've done on keyboards.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 22, 2022 20:30

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
All guitars are slide on Ventilator Blues.

There is an acoustic which just comps chords as well as the main electric slide, what sounds like a resonator slide, and then the lead that comes in about halfway.

Isn't it also doubling the riff with slide at times?

Not that I recall. Somebody did a pretty good job isolating all the parts on Ventilator. I have the files somewhere.

Date: July 22, 2022 20:36

I think Richards might have redone bass because it clashed with an Open G tuning. Perhaps he thought more of an arranger with his own material. Marshall Chess I believe said he did it because he thought he could do it better!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 22, 2022 21:21

DandelionPowderman
<.It seems strange that Keith in the next 50 years from when Exile was recorded he never played slide again except for Till the Next Goodbye? His slide playing is only on Let it Bleed and Beggars>

Very strange indeed, because it's not true.

Listen to his solo on Fight, for instance. And Hoodoo Blues.

He continued to play slide on Happy in concert throughout the 1978-tour.

And I'm sure you've heard him play slide on Little Red Rooster on LYL and El Mocambo.
I was speaking about in the studio.So Fight.Hoodoo Blues is from a blues album so of course there would be slide.So Fight and Till The Next Goodbye,2songs in 50 years.Neither sounds like the slide work on the Exile tracks.Can you explain to me how Taylor’s slide playing on Good Time Women and You Got to Move have characteristics that would preclude his playing slide on some of those Exile tracks.It sounds more like the slide on those Exile tracks than Keith ever played before or after.Please show me a track of Keith playing slide not from Exile where Keith sounds like that.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 22, 2022 21:46

automaticchanger
FP
automaticchanger
FP
Yes that's what I'm saying,there is no evidence of a Taylor rhythm guitar on Rock's Off. Mathijs was suggesting that rhythm parts were wiped from RO and RTJ but I don't hear evidence on any source that MT ever played a rhythm part on either.

The Exhibitionism show had multitracks of a few songs available at a listening station - IORR member mrpaulincanada recorded them:

[we.tl]

One of the tracks is Taylor's isolated rhythm part, which remains in the final mix, buried in the centre with Keith's two rhythm parts panned left (the original) and right (overdub).

Thanks very much this, really appreciated! yes this Taylor part is the one I mean. But it is not a rhythm part, it is melodic fills, some of it almost sounds like Hawaiian guitar.

Sorry if this sounds amazingly anal but my point with Mathijs was simply that he seemed to imply that Taylor's rhythm guitar style clashed with Keith in general and specifically on Exile (I may be misunderstanding him though) leading Keith to wipe Taylor's rhythm parts.

My point was that what Taylor plays on RO is not a rhythm part, it is chordal embellishments, extensions and inversions of chords.

I say this as I have played guitar for many years and worked out plenty of Stones parts so perhaps I look at this more technicallysmiling smiley

Ah, I understand your point now, I was misinterpreting before and thought you meant 'no rhythm' = 'no audible part'. In a way his part reminds me of what someone like Billy would've done on keyboards.

Yes good pointsmiling smiley

Date: July 22, 2022 21:53

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
<.It seems strange that Keith in the next 50 years from when Exile was recorded he never played slide again except for Till the Next Goodbye? His slide playing is only on Let it Bleed and Beggars>

And I'm sure you've heard him play slide on Little Red Rooster on LYL and El Mocambo.
I was speaking about in the studio.So Fight.Hoodoo Blues is from a blues album so of course there would be slide.So Fight and Till The Next Goodbye,2songs in 50 years.Neither sounds like the slide work on the Exile tracks.Can you explain to me how Taylor’s slide playing on Good Time Women and You Got to Move have characteristics that would preclude his playing slide on some of those Exile tracks.It sounds more like the slide on those Exile tracks than Keith ever played before or after.Please show me a track of Keith playing slide not from Exile where Keith sounds like that.

I think you make good points, the only thing I will say is I think Exile is when Keith moved more to his Tele than his Les Paul so his tone would differ from his playing on Let It Bleed for example which I believe was either a Les Paul or an obscure Maton EG240 guitar which sounds very different from a Telecaster.

I also think Keith plays slide on Happy because it is pretty rudimentary, even I can play it! Compared to Stop Breaking Down and All Down The Line which is extremely fluid. This is why I think MT may play slide on RTJ as it sounds more accomplished than Keith. Not to knock Keith as a slide player, I learned all my slide from his work on LIB! Just a different style to Taylor.

I have also never heard Taylor claim to have played guitar on Tumbling Dice, he always says he played bass and doesn't add any more info so inclined to think it is Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-22 21:54 by FP.

Date: July 23, 2022 00:35

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

I have told you this before: They are very easy to separate. Taylor plays slide with a heavy vibrato, while Keith plays without vibrato (Like on Happy and other Exile-numbers).

Date: July 23, 2022 01:46

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

I have told you this before: They are very easy to separate. Taylor plays slide with a heavy vibrato, while Keith plays without vibrato (Like on Happy and other Exile-numbers).
Really? You told me this before.Whereis the heavy Taylor vibrato on You Gotta Move?Hey what about Taylor’s slide guitar on Stevie Wonders I Don’t Know Why.Explain to me where the heavy vibrato is there.So Keith played with no vibrato on the Let it Bleed album onsongs like Love in Vain? I don’t know guitars like you, so explain to me where the heavy vibrato is on You Gotta Move, Good Time Women, I Don’t Know Why.Explain what type of vibrato Keith plays with on Let it Bleed tracks like Monkey Man. There is no vibrato on Midnight Rambler on Let it Bleed,is that right?. Again, I’m just a layperson when it comes to guitars

Date: July 23, 2022 03:07

IMO it’s not just the vibrato but the licks they play. The slide on Tumbling Dice sounds like licks Richards would play even without a slide.

Taylor never played slide on Rip This Joint live, and his boogie rhythm live sounds like the other rhythm guitar that’s pretty buried on the record. I do hear some walk down licks live that are similar to that outtake with the crazy slide guitar. Haha who knows what was going on in the basement that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 03:07 by TravelinMan.

Date: July 23, 2022 12:22

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

Really? You told me this before.Whereis the heavy Taylor vibrato on You Gotta Move?Hey what about Taylor’s slide guitar on Stevie Wonders I Don’t Know Why.Explain to me where the heavy vibrato is there.So Keith played with no vibrato on the Let it Bleed album onsongs like Love in Vain? I don’t know guitars like you, so explain to me where the heavy vibrato is on You Gotta Move, Good Time Women, I Don’t Know Why.Explain what type of vibrato Keith plays with on Let it Bleed tracks like Monkey Man. There is no vibrato on Midnight Rambler on Let it Bleed,is that right?. Again, I’m just a layperson when it comes to guitars

Apart from TravelinMan's point: the choice of notes, which obviously are different, Keith as a slide player finds the notes, but cut them short (or let the notes ring a bit longer without moving the bottleneck, like on Love In Vain). Taylor, for instance on YGM, finds the notes and let them ring longer by moving the bottleneck slightly creating the vibrato and a more exciting sustain. This is also evident in their playing styles without slide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 12:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 23, 2022 13:40

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

Apart from TravelinMan's point: the choice of notes, which obviously are different, Keith as a slide player finds the notes, but cut them short (or let the notes ring a bit longer without moving the bottleneck, like on Love In Vain). Taylor, for instance on YGM, finds the notes and let them ring longer by moving the bottleneck slightly creating the vibrato and a more exciting sustain. This is also evident in their playing styles without slide.

This is why I love Exile, you can analyse it forever but also just enjoy the music.

BTW feel a bit bad for taking this thread about Star Star on such a tangent.

Date: July 23, 2022 17:37

FP, I was thinking about this and Star Star is a perfect place for this because I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody told me Taylor or Richards played either guitar on this one. In a sense, it’s a perfect home for this discussion because it shows their skills can cross, like Bye Bye Johnny.

Date: July 23, 2022 18:25

Maybe Taylor doesn't play on Happy, but here is an example of him and Keith at their best. It puts the lie into the argument Taylor was just noodling away on that tour while Keith was was playing just rthymn guitar. Keith is on fire here and plays more than Taylor. Alive peak. video: [youtu.be]Midnight Rambler, Brussels, first show, 1973.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 20:03 by Taylor1.

Date: July 23, 2022 22:48

Didn't Mick Jagger say that "Keith wanted to protect his songs" in regard to Keith's relationship with Mick Taylor?

Date: July 23, 2022 23:51

TheflyingDutchman
Didn't Mick Jagger say that "Keith wanted to protect his songs" in regard to Keith's relationship with Mick Taylor?

I think that was Jimmy Miller. I wish Jimmy Miller wrote a book about his adventures.

Date: July 23, 2022 23:57

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-24 00:02 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 24, 2022 00:00

I don't care that much who said it. Fact is that the musical interaction between Keith and Taylor was limited, and at the same time brilliant from both sides. Jagger more or less the referee.
Did Jagger take sides? Yes, because Taylor was unreliable and too young given the circumstances. Talented as hell though. Did Taylor use his potential? No.Too much time and too much money. Jagger and Richard kept on selling their product with (a little) help from their friends.

Date: July 24, 2022 14:54

TheflyingDutchman
I don't care that much who said it. Fact is that the musical interaction between Keith and Taylor was limited, and at the same time brilliant from both sides. Jagger more or less the referee.
Did Jagger take sides? Yes, because Taylor was unreliable and too young given the circumstances. Talented as hell though. Did Taylor use his potential? No.Too much time and too much money. Jagger and Richard kept on selling their product with (a little) help from their friends.

I think this is a good point! The idea of Jagger as referee is brilliantsmiling smiley

I can understand Keith being frustrated with Taylor. let's face it he was 20 (?) when he joined and I think to have a young brilliant player suddenly wanting to write songs and have a say when Mick and Keith had been through so much may have led to some hazing on Keith part.

I have played with guitarists who don't listen to the song and doodle and it can be frustrating if you have a concept.

Even though it is a cliche the tension is what produced the magic. I don't feel Keith has the same tension with Ronnie. Keith said in Life he felt the need to write stuff that would challenge Taylor.

Also let's face it it is not like MT was not showcased, maybe not as much as he liked. But when he had a moment to shine he took it and Keith was happy to showcase his brilliance. Look at 100 years Ago and Winter on GHS, lots of soloing mixed clearly.

Date: July 24, 2022 14:56

TravelinMan
FP, I was thinking about this and Star Star is a perfect place for this because I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody told me Taylor or Richards played either guitar on this one. In a sense, it’s a perfect home for this discussion because it shows their skills can cross, like Bye Bye Johnny.

I think some players who work together a lot can start taking on the style of the other. You have said before Keith picked up stuff from MT and of course the other way round.

There is a Santana track called Song of the Wind were both Carlos and Neal Schon play solos but they are so similar in tone and style you would think it was one player.

I feel Ronni and Keith took this to the next level on Some Girls where there is that level of telepathy in their weaving.

Date: July 24, 2022 16:53

FP
TravelinMan

I think some players who work together a lot can start taking on the style of the other. You have said before Keith picked up stuff from MT and of course the other way round.

There is a Santana track called Song of the Wind were both Carlos and Neal Schon play solos but they are so similar in tone and style you would think
I feel Ronni and Keith took this to the next level on Some Girls where there is that level of telepathy in their weaving.
But why is it necessarily a better musical experience for the listener.Personally , I think this whole weaving stuff is nonsense. Personally I thought Ronnie and Keith were great in1975-1977 with little weaving

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-24 17:43 by Taylor1.

Date: July 24, 2022 16:54

TheflyingDutchman

Well you asked the question.

I think Taylor was in the Jagger “camp” by the end of his tenure. He even said he worked closely with Jagger to finish IORR.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 25, 2022 12:44

FP

I think Travelin Man mentioned somewhere else that on Stones in Exile you can hear a demo of Taylor playing the riff on acoustic briefly. This is why we think Taylor plays the dobro part and also why he gets the writing credit. Keith plays the main electric part but Taylor double it on the dobro.

That's Keith playing the slide and the dobro.

And all guitars on Happy are Keith, as is the slide on Rip This Joint.

Keith plays slide much more straightforward, with less vibrato and sustain and often with more ghost notes. And his choice of notes is less rooted in the blues as Taylor does.

Mathijs

Date: July 25, 2022 15:17

Mathijs
FP

I think Travelin Man mentioned somewhere else that on Stones in Exile you can hear a demo of Taylor playing the riff on acoustic briefly. This is why we think Taylor plays the dobro part and also why he gets the writing credit. Keith plays the main electric part but Taylor double it on the dobro.

Keith plays slide much more straightforward, with less vibrato and sustain and often with more ghost notes. And his choice of notes is less rooted in the blues as Taylor does.

Mathijs

Do you think Taylor’s lead on Casino Boogie and Ventilator were LA overdubs? He has a very biting tone on these tracks. What do you think the guitar/amp combo is?

Date: July 25, 2022 16:50

TravelinMan
Mathijs
FP

Mathijs

Do you think Taylor’s lead on Casino Boogie and Ventilator were LA overdubs? He has a very biting tone on these tracks. What do you think the guitar/amp combo is?

I think these are all original Nellcote guitar tracks. Casino Boogie is a good example of Keith's slide playing. Until Taylor's lead guitar all guitars are by Richards, including the slide. This could be another example of where they both recorded original parts, then Richards wiping Taylor's part and adding the 4 or 5 new parts you hear on the released version.

I think the best guess for Taylor is the brown ES-355 through a Fender Deluxe Reverb and WEM Copycat that can be seen in pictures and seemed to have been his go-to equipment.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 25, 2022 17:05

Mathijs

Turd On The Run – no Taylor

Mathijs

I know we discussed this years earlier, but I still think that the 2nd guitar that enters at the 1 min mark center left in the mix is Taylor.

C

Date: July 25, 2022 17:19

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
FP

Mathijs

I think these are all original Nellcote guitar tracks. Casino Boogie is a good example of Keith's slide playing. Until Taylor's lead guitar all guitars are by Richards, including the slide. This could be another example of where they both recorded original parts, then Richards wiping Taylor's part and adding the 4 or 5 new parts you hear on the released version.

I think the best guess for Taylor is the brown ES-355 through a Fender Deluxe Reverb and WEM Copycat that can be seen in pictures and seemed to have been his go-to equipment.

Mathijs

Very cool.

I do agree with the dobro playing on Ventilator; it does not have Taylor's vibrato.

What's interesting is comparing it to the outtake clip from the Exile documentary where two guitars are jamming, one slide and one acoustic guitar. The slide is so much more fluid and has vibrato, and it plays different notes on the I-bIII-bVII-IV turnaround vs the album version. Perhaps this is a glimpse of Taylor and Richards jamming the song together, and why Taylor said it was his riff but he didn't have much to do with the song's creation?

Posted by: JakeA ()
Date: July 25, 2022 17:58

liddas
Mathijs

Mathijs

I know we discussed this years earlier, but I still think that the 2nd guitar that enters at the 1 min mark center left in the mix is Taylor.

C

I think it is Taylor.You can hear it best If you listen to the 2010 mix at 1 min. mark or the end of the song (Just like Rocks off).

Date: July 25, 2022 18:51

liddas
Mathijs

Mathijs

C

I don't believe that's Taylor at all -it's a repetitive, staccato riff in open G, capo on second fret, almost the same as Richard's riff / solo guitar on Shake Your Hips.

Mathijs

Date: July 25, 2022 20:05

Taylor1
FP
TravelinMan

There is a Santana track called Song of the Wind were both Carlos and Neal Schon play solos but they are so similar in tone and style you would think
But why is it necessarily a better musical experience for the listener.Personally , I think this whole weaving stuff is nonsense. Personally I thought Ronnie and Keith were great in1975-1977 with little weaving

Yes of course it depends on the track, I have no real preference for this approach and for me Taylor is my favourite over Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 20:07 by FP.

Date: July 25, 2022 20:11

Mathijs
FP

Mathijs

Do you think it is KR or MT playing slide on this instrumental of RTJ? To me it sounds like Taylor, I can't imagine Keith playing at this tempo on slide? If this is Taylor then I think he does play a few licks on RTJ. If this is Keith then I will agree RTJ is Keith.

[www.youtube.com]

Btw I see you don't have Taylor on slide on Soul Survivor, that track has some vibrato and feels Taylory to me?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home