Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Star Star
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 10, 2022 17:49

.... maybe out...? like "Brown sugar".....

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 10, 2022 18:21

jp.M

It was fun while it was around. It's probably been "out" for longer than Brown Sugar, but because it wasn't ever played all that often nobody really noticed. All the namechecks are out of date by now, and Mick probably has it filed in the "revisiting the past" category.

But I do love that great tearing intro at the end of GHS, and the "give us a kiss" outro.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 10, 2022 19:42

Kick ass, all the way ... Rock 'n Roll!!!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 10, 2022 20:05

Rather replace it with Too Tight , Let Me Go or Have You Seen Your Mother Baby

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 11, 2022 07:08

Taylor1
Rather replace it with Too Tight , Let Me Go or Have You Seen Your Mother Baby

??? Replace what? This track with one of those? None of those songs even comes close to this time frame.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 11, 2022 10:01

As much as I find reading everyone’s opinions interesting sometimes it’s just beyond hilarious.
Don’t forget this is rock and roll music, it’s supposed to be FUN! We’re not art critics or a wine tasting gathering.
-They seem to have evolved into a bit of self parody here, as apposed to the deadly serious Dear Doctor or the supremely artistic statement of”Down
in Dallas Texas with the butter queen”.

The first Stones shows I went to during Starfckr a giant, well the media called it a “phallic symbol”,
appeared from the stage bringing roars of laughter and cheers from the crowd.
Outrageous,rude,good time Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 11, 2022 16:57

TravelinMan
TravelinMan
I listened to this the other day and I was admiring Keith Richards super clean Chuck Berry fills. Really a nice touch with the reverb on those. Some of his best IMO.

I think this song absolutely fits on this album as the closer. It’s a hell of a way to end the album. I think they should have completed All The Rage back then and had it open the second side. Then put Silver Train as a B-side. I don’t think it’s a strong as All The Rage/You Should Have Seen Her Ass.

I was wrong. It’s Richards on rhythm and the overdubbed solo. Taylor on the fills.

Nope, it's Richards on rhythm, fills and solo, Taylor on rhythm.

Mathijs

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 11, 2022 17:02

the bonus track "Live in NYC" from Amsterdam - Keith plays the wrong chords, the whole thing is lame and boring - and they released it.
Listen to El Mocambo - what a great exploding thing...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 11, 2022 18:14

Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
I listened to this the other day and I was admiring Keith Richards super clean Chuck Berry fills. Really a nice touch with the reverb on those. Some of his best IMO.

I think this song absolutely fits on this album as the closer. It’s a hell of a way to end the album. I think they should have completed All The Rage back then and had it open the second side. Then put Silver Train as a B-side. I don’t think it’s a strong as All The Rage/You Should Have Seen Her Ass.

I was wrong. It’s Richards on rhythm and the overdubbed solo. Taylor on the fills.

Mathijs

I only hear one rhythm guitar.

Date: July 11, 2022 18:34

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

On the choruses, too? It's been a while so I'm not certain myself.

Date: July 11, 2022 19:19

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

On the choruses, too? It's been a while so I'm not certain myself.

Oh yeah, I hear it on the chorus.

Date: July 11, 2022 19:22

There is also a lead guitar absolutely buried in the outro

Date: July 11, 2022 19:59

TravelinMan
Does sound like Taylor, similarity placed to his solo on the outro onRocks Off.I think he also plays the solo on the break, that doesn’t sound like Keithand it’s an overdub.It sounds a little like his solo on Dead Flowers album version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-11 21:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2022 22:38

deardoctor
the bonus track "Live in NYC" from Amsterdam - Keith plays the wrong chords, the whole thing is lame and boring - and they released it.

Wow! That's hilarious!

Date: July 11, 2022 22:58

Taylor1
TravelinMan
Does sound like Taylor, similarity placed to his solo on the outro onRocks Off.I think he also plays the solo on the break, that doesn’t sound like Keithand it’s an overdub.It sounds a little like his solo on Dead Flowers album version

It's not Taylor who did the solo. The ending of it is something he could have done, though - more fluently, of course.

Date: July 12, 2022 00:23

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
TravelinMan

It's not Taylor who did the solo. The ending of it is something he could have done, though - more fluently, of course.

I agree, it sounds like Richards on the solo. The fills however stuck out as being very fluid and similar to Taylor’s licks on Bye Bye Johnny.

Date: July 13, 2022 22:03

Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Are you saying it’s Taylor playing rhythm throughout?

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: July 14, 2022 01:05

The studio version is good but I think the live versions of the song are my favorite. The one from the '78 live in Texas release just flat out rocks.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 14, 2022 04:00

Iggyrichards
The studio version is good but I think the live versions of the song are my favorite. The one from the '78 live in Texas release just flat out rocks.

You got that right!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2022 07:04

Green Lady
jp.M

It was fun while it was around. It's probably been "out" for longer than Brown Sugar, but because it wasn't ever played all that often nobody really noticed. All the namechecks are out of date by now, and Mick probably has it filed in the "revisiting the past" category.

But I do love that great tearing intro at the end of GHS, and the "give us a kiss" outro.

Easily updated live.

That aside... as much as I love the tune... far better songs they could play.

Even though they don't.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 14, 2022 15:11

GasLightStreet
deardoctor

Wow! That's hilarious!

Indeed hilarious. I did not trust my ears - there are so many great versions aside that trainwreck-version

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 14, 2022 16:29

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

Wow! That's hilarious!

Indeed hilarious. I did not trust my ears - there are so many great versions aside that trainwreck-version

It sounds like there was a mix-up at the beginning sounding like IORR. It really got great by the end. I love it.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 15, 2022 14:01

exilestones
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

Wow! That's hilarious!

It sounds like there was a mix-up at the beginning sounding like IORR. It really got great by the end. I love it.

I love the fact that they release these extras, warts an' all. The ultimate one is Whip on the b-stage in BA 98, 5th night. Proper Rock n Roll.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 15, 2022 18:25

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Correct: Taylor playing rhythm throughout.

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 15, 2022 19:51

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Sure.

Verse
Intro Keith left channel, pans to right, Taylor rhythm left, Richards Berry fills right

Chorus
Keith rhythm right, Taylor rhythm left, Richards Berry fills right, sax middle, faint rhythm guitar likely Jagger in the middle

Underneath 'I bet you going t to get John Wayne': sounds like a guitar in an echo feedback, strange editing mistake

Solo
Intro to solo underneath 'yes you are' sounds like Taylor
Solo: Richards

Outro: second rhythm guitar in the right channel: Richards

Solo underneath the outro: difficult to hear, sounds like Taylor is doing Berry-bends.

Mathijs

Date: July 15, 2022 23:12

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Sure.

Verse
Intro Keith left channel, pans to right, Taylor rhythm left, Richards Berry fills right

Chorus
Keith rhythm right, Taylor rhythm left, Richards Berry fills right, sax middle, faint rhythm guitar likely Jagger in the middle

Underneath 'I bet you going t to get John Wayne': sounds like a guitar in an echo feedback, strange editing mistake

Solo

Solo underneath the outro: difficult to hear, sounds like Taylor is doing Berry-bends.

Mathijs

I hear a different lead guitar doing hammer-ons before the choruses. I figured it was the same guitarist as the solo (Richards).

I am surprised to hear that’s Taylor playing rhythm throughout because I read an article where the journalist said Keith was playing the rhythm guitar and they decided to have him play solo before the rest of the band joined. I don’t hear anything particularly like Taylor on the left channel.

I’m usually advocating that I hear Taylor in tracks where others disagree. Here I believe I’m the opposite!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 18, 2022 17:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-18 18:13 by schillid.

Date: July 18, 2022 17:56

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Sure.

Verse

Chorus

Solo

Mathijs

I hear a different lead guitar doing hammer-ons before the choruses. I figured it was the same guitarist as the solo (Richards).

I am surprised to hear that’s Taylor playing rhythm throughout because I read an article where the journalist said Keith was playing the rhythm guitar and they decided to have him play solo before the rest of the band joined. I don’t hear anything particularly like Taylor on the left channel.

I’m usually advocating that I hear Taylor in tracks where others disagree. Here I believe I’m the opposite!
Can you tell me who plays the guitars on Heartbreaker and Can You Hear the Music

Date: July 18, 2022 19:00

TravelinMan

I am surprised to hear that’s Taylor playing rhythm throughout because I read an article where the journalist said Keith was playing the rhythm guitar and they decided to have him play solo before the rest of the band joined.

Why are you surprised that Taylor played rhythm throughout whatever song?

Date: July 18, 2022 20:23

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

I am surprised to hear that’s Taylor playing rhythm throughout because I read an article where the journalist said Keith was playing the rhythm guitar and they decided to have him play solo before the rest of the band joined.

Why are you surprised that Taylor played rhythm throughout whatever song?

Just that one in particular because when they were first working on it apparently Richards was playing the boogie rhythm. Reading the article made me think of it in a different light.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home