Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Star Star
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 9, 2019 06:53

Date: January 9, 2019 14:41

Carnaby

LOL you have been throwing out the greatest pics lately. Seen a million of great Stones shots, but this one hits my very top.

Date: January 10, 2019 14:35

Palace Revolution 2000
Carnaby

LOL you have been throwing out the greatest pics lately. Seen a million of great Stones shots, but this one hits my very top.
Bump - I just hope for as many as possible to check Keith's incredible green silk job. Oh man, just dig the twins!

Date: January 10, 2019 14:37

Is that picture «doctored» (the colours)?

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 10, 2019 17:26

it appears it started out as a black and white photo, then "colored" which would mean who ever did the transformation would have the ability to alter the final color / tone / sheen, etc...

Date: January 10, 2019 17:30

snorton
it appears it started out as a black and white photo, then "colored" which would mean who ever did the transformation would have the ability to alter the final color / tone / sheen, etc...

That's what I thought, too.

Date: January 12, 2019 15:05

snorton
Ok thank you very much. I';m going home now. You ruined my new love for that shirt.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2019 02:26

It started off side B of TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE!

It's almost as if the Stones have a behind the scenes love for the song, playing it on the 1975-76 tours, it's on LOVE YOU LIVE, 1978 tour, the 1979 comp, 1981 tour, the BRIDGES tours and LICKS tours.

Date: January 13, 2019 02:34

What about "time waits for no one"? grinning smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 13, 2019 03:36

Best stones tune about sex ever

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 11, 2019 02:28

I was comparing the censored Star Star to the uncensored Star Star. I like the censored version better. Maybe it's because that's the version I grew up with?

Censored songs are usually missing something. Star Star censored has extra. What is the sound over the line about John Wayne? Is it a guitar? It's cool. It's extra.

The other part that's overdubbed in the pussy part is a cool effect too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-14 16:15 by exilestones.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 11, 2019 12:39

Star Star is one of the greatest rockers since 1973 by the Stones

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 11, 2019 15:30

exilestones
Chris Fountain
Carol (GYYYO) is the quintessential Chuck Berry replicate. Star , Star just doesn't seem to fit on GHS. It just doesn't fit on any other same era album such as ER or SG.

Tops of Tattoo You seems to convey the same message better with much more swagger and feel.

As far as Star Star not fitting on GHS which I've hear a few times now makes me rethink it. It a great Rock and Roll song. It has a few cool bells and whistles and the double lead during the solo. Great performance, mix (at least the original mix I love - not sure about newer mixes - wonder how many there are out there), smutty lyrics are cool, love the song.

Great build at the end. Love hearing Jagger at the very end "I'm telling the world."

Do it fit nicely on GHS? Hmmm. I always knew it on GHS but I've been listening to GHS outtakes lately and songs like Tops, Waiting on a Friend, Separately, Fast Talking seem like a better fit. I guess that a problem making an album and getting songs to fit together. Should they just shelve the song like "I Can See It" got shelved (probably for not fitting n the album but great song).

Is there any of the GHS characteristics in Star F ucker, like the wah-wha or the high hat (but Angie...high hat). I don't know. People can pick out these nuances/characteristics better than I can.

Whether Star F fits well with the other GHS, well, it fits less than it did a few days ago after more listening to GHS outtakes and reading my fellow Stones fans writings. Whether it fits well or not, it's best at the end of the album. One thing for sure is when I'm done listening to the Goats Heads Soup album, it ends on a high. It ends with much energy and a great performance and song. It ends with wanting more. The album end on an up-swing. I love every last note and lyric.

As far as the first US censored version goes...I grew-up with it. It's all I knew until a few years ago (more than a few years). I liked the overdub. I used to think it was some excitement about the 'police.' I didn't know what it said.

After all of the discussion about the overdub, I relisted to the overdub I loved and now wonder if I still love it or does it sound like some sort of skip/mishap with the tapes. I don't know. The jury is now out for deliberations.

Thanks to Deltics for the South African version of Star Star. I heard it years ago and deleted it. It's an abomination. It's horrible. Now it's a historical relic. I'm still not keeping it.

Is it me or is everyone pictured above dead now? Time passes

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 11, 2019 18:30

exhpart
exilestones
Chris Fountain
Carol (GYYYO) is the quintessential Chuck Berry replicate. Star , Star just doesn't seem to fit on GHS. It just doesn't fit on any other same era album such as ER or SG.

Tops of Tattoo You seems to convey the same message better with much more swagger and feel.

As far as Star Star not fitting on GHS which I've hear a few times now makes me rethink it. It a great Rock and Roll song. It has a few cool bells and whistles and the double lead during the solo. Great performance, mix (at least the original mix I love - not sure about newer mixes - wonder how many there are out there), smutty lyrics are cool, love the song.

Great build at the end. Love hearing Jagger at the very end "I'm telling the world."

Do it fit nicely on GHS? Hmmm. I always knew it on GHS but I've been listening to GHS outtakes lately and songs like Tops, Waiting on a Friend, Separately, Fast Talking seem like a better fit. I guess that a problem making an album and getting songs to fit together. Should they just shelve the song like "I Can See It" got shelved (probably for not fitting n the album but great song).

Is there any of the GHS characteristics in Star F ucker, like the wah-wha or the high hat (but Angie...high hat). I don't know. People can pick out these nuances/characteristics better than I can.

Whether Star F fits well with the other GHS, well, it fits less than it did a few days ago after more listening to GHS outtakes and reading my fellow Stones fans writings. Whether it fits well or not, it's best at the end of the album. One thing for sure is when I'm done listening to the Goats Heads Soup album, it ends on a high. It ends with much energy and a great performance and song. It ends with wanting more. The album end on an up-swing. I love every last note and lyric.

As far as the first US censored version goes...I grew-up with it. It's all I knew until a few years ago (more than a few years). I liked the overdub. I used to think it was some excitement about the 'police.' I didn't know what it said.

After all of the discussion about the overdub, I relisted to the overdub I loved and now wonder if I still love it or does it sound like some sort of skip/mishap with the tapes. I don't know. The jury is now out for deliberations.

Thanks to Deltics for the South African version of Star Star. I heard it years ago and deleted it. It's an abomination. It's horrible. Now it's a historical relic. I'm still not keeping it.

Is it me or is everyone pictured above dead now? Time passes

It's you.....Jim Horn is still with us.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 11, 2019 18:35

We never hear much from Jim Horn, do we? Loved his playing with the Stones.
Hey, is ‘Horn’ his real last name? C’mon.

Date: February 11, 2019 18:45

JIM PRICE JIM PRICE!

I gotta get outta this place!
I never liked this song anyway!
Avoiding my Monday.
Frick a star Crick a star

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 11, 2019 19:28

[en.wikipedia.org]

They are separate dudes, Horn and Price. A couple of real Jim Dandy's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 19:29 by Maindefender.

Date: February 11, 2019 23:00

Maindefender
[en.wikipedia.org]

They are separate dudes, Horn and Price. A couple of real Jim Dandy's

*whew Thank You
See, we don’t hear enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 23:00 by 35love.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:03

I listened to this the other day and I was admiring Keith Richards super clean Chuck Berry fills. Really a nice touch with the reverb on those. Some of his best IMO.

I think this song absolutely fits on this album as the closer. It’s a hell of a way to end the album. I think they should have completed All The Rage back then and had it open the second side. Then put Silver Train as a B-side. I don’t think it’s a strong as All The Rage/You Should Have Seen Her Ass.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:31

I wish they would still play it!

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 22:06

drwatts
I wish they would still play it!

Last played London, Twickenham 2003. I would also love to see this live again. For me it is one of the definitive Stones songs, I can only listen to this on repeat as once is never enough.

Date: July 4, 2022 22:10

Could keith still play this one fast and good?

Date: July 4, 2022 23:00

If he can play IORR, he can play @#$%&.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 5, 2022 02:23

Never liked it live.Would much prefer to have heard over the last 25 years Too Tight or Flip the Switch

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2022 07:44

A rip roaring tearing song that is as Chuck Berry as they'd ever get and fantastic live not matter what tour!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:00

If drugs are prohibited nowadays at Stones concerts they should also no more sing about sex... It's all that dirty!

But seriously: They know well enough that such a song would be somehow ridiculous fora band of almost 80-year-olds.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:07

Easily one of my top 10 Stones tracks.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:28

.... my favorite in their list of nearly 4oo songs....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 5, 2022 11:38

I love all the 1970's live versions, and then for some reason all 1981 tour versions were train wrecks and since they never got it right.

Mathijs

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 10, 2022 17:34

TravelinMan
I listened to this the other day and I was admiring Keith Richards super clean Chuck Berry fills. Really a nice touch with the reverb on those. Some of his best IMO.

I think this song absolutely fits on this album as the closer. It’s a hell of a way to end the album. I think they should have completed All The Rage back then and had it open the second side. Then put Silver Train as a B-side. I don’t think it’s a strong as All The Rage/You Should Have Seen Her Ass.

I was wrong. It’s Richards on rhythm and the overdubbed solo. Taylor on the fills.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home