Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My first Rolling Stones Concert, April 1979
Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: September 27, 2014 20:05

Spring, 1979, grade 12...heard that tickets were going on sale at a local Dominion Store (grocery) that had the BASS ticket sales (best available seating system).

My friend Doug and I gathered up a couple of lawn chairs and some sleeping bags. Got there on a Saturday night for Monday morning sales. Things were cool until early Monday morning when people started to push and crashed the que. My friend and I were near the very front prior to this crowd rush. Anyhow, we still made it near the front of the lineup prior to doors opening.

BTW, the lawn chairs were crushed under the crowd and Doug and I were scared sh!tless that his dad would find out.

Oshawa was fantastic....small venue (hockey arena - or as our Brit friends would call it - ice hockey), 8th row seats, near dead centre.

Here are some not so good pics...

Re: My first Rolling Stones Concert, April 1979
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 27, 2014 22:33

Cool. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2014 23:07

What a unique event...you must have some fab memories.

Thanks for sharing...any particular memories from that night?

Did Doug's dad ever find out?

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: September 27, 2014 23:28

Umm...I remember what a pain in the @ss it was to get to Oshawa on a Sunday...Doug and I had two sets of tickets, two for the afternoon show and two for the evening...we sold the evening ones for $50 a piece.

I recall John Belushi coming out to introduce the band.

I remember the New Barbarians were pretty good, but couldn't wait for the Stones to come out...the NBs finished their set and it was a mad house. Then out of the dark there were two stools and Mick and Keith walked out and sat on the them and played Prodigal Son....the place went crazy...Everyone was now standing on top of their chairs and I had to fight with some @sshole photographer who told me he wa from Rolling Stone magazine as he pushed his way to share the space on top of my seat...

Otherwise...it went way too fast..It was a short show, I can't remember but I doubt it was much longer than 90-100 minutes...

But it was a great introduction to the Stones live....

The only thing that surpassed this was 2002 when I got to seem them rehearse in Toronto...but that's another story.

PS No, Doug's dad never mentioned the missing lawn chairs>grinning smiley<

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 28, 2014 00:37

mrpaulincanada
Umm...I remember what a pain in the @ss it was to get to Oshawa on a Sunday...Doug and I had two sets of tickets, two for the afternoon show and two for the evening...we sold the evening ones for $50 a piece.

I remember the New Barbarians were pretty good, but couldn't wait for the Stones to come out...the NBs finished their set and it was a mad house. Then out of the dark there were two stools and Mick and Keith walked out and sat on the them and played Prodigal Son....the place went crazy...Everyone was now standing on top of their chairs and I had to fight with some @sshole photographer who told me he wa from Rolling Stone magazine as he pushed his way to share the space on top of my seat...

Otherwise...it went way too fast..It was a short show, I can't remember but I doubt it was much longer than 90-100 minutes...

The only thing that surpassed this was 2002 when I got to seem them rehearse in Toronto...but that's another story.

Nice thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 28, 2014 03:22

mrpaulincanada

That's just so Canadian...thanks for sharing the details.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 28, 2014 04:02

What was the reason Oshawa Civic Aud was chosen over somewhere like Maple Leaf Gardens?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 28, 2014 10:11

mrpaulincanada
Then out of the dark there were two stools and Mick and Keith walked out and sat on the them and played Prodigal Son....the place went crazy...

I'm going crazy just thinking about it! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home