Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'Six degrees of separation' - how many between you and the Stones?
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 18, 2014 21:05

I know that some of you know the Stones personally and so for you, there are zero degrees of separation. But for the rest of us, how many connections do you have to make between yourself and one of the Stones? (Knowing Bjornulf does not count in this case - we all have one degree of separation just by being here.)

For me

I dated someone who later went on to be a session musician on one of Mick's solo albums. (1)

My closest friend was taken backstage to meet Keith in 1994 and he invited her to a party. (1)

More as I think of them...you?

Edited to add - I knew an antique dealer pretty well whose gf is Charlie's cousin. I saw them being taken backstage at a concert, and when I asked them why some time later, they told me. She has the same last name as Charlie.

I also sent an email to Rose Leavell via her website, and she replied.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-19 01:17 by Bliss.

Re: 'Six degrees of separation' - how many between you and the Stones?
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 18, 2014 22:27

I met Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel once who's friends with Willie Nelson who of course has worked with Keith.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 18, 2014 22:39

I met an Arab coke dealer in NYC in 1980 who said he supplied Mick. He gave my girlfriend and her girlfriend a bump but none for me. Assh-le.

I have a promoter friend who is tight with a guitarist who is tight with Chuck who is tight with...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2014 22:51

I worked on 'The Blob' remake in 1988 as a PA. Donovan Leitch Jr. was an actor in the movie. His father knew Brian Jones and probably the rest of the group.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 18, 2014 23:17

An good friend of mine from my youth is a bloke called Richie Pearman, his sister is Vicky Pearman, the president of Jagged Films...........

To be honest I haven't seen him for a while, he left Swansea to start a roofing firm in London....I got married...you know how it is....but the spring of 1978 I'll never forget.
Spent most of it dropping acid in the Jewish Congress in New Cavendish St. in London..............man, if those rabbis had known, we'd have been crucified..............grinning smiley

I remember him telling me that Vicky was dating the bloke who produced the West side story....or director maybe...... I don't know.....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 18, 2014 23:31

20 years ago I met Chuck Levell after the Atlanta, GA show (11-15-1994). Somehow I still feel much farther than 1 degree of separation from the Stones.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 18, 2014 23:32

I have absolutely maximum number of degrees of separation from my favourite band.
It means that I am as far from being a VIP in a Rolling Stones context as is possible.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2014 23:38

Donovan Leitch Jr. was an actor in the movie. His father knew Brian Jones and probably the rest of the group.

Donovan Snr ... raised Brian's son Julian

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 18, 2014 23:44

Got a great personal email from Chuck last year and met Keith and Patti in Mexico when they were down there for their wedding......but like the fine Mr. DJA, I've got a feeling that unless you are flesh and blood with the Stones that their typical separation is a void that people can fall into and only return with great difficulty. smiling smiley peace

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 18, 2014 23:59

Bliss
My closest friend was taken backstage to meet Keith in 1994 and he invited her to a party.

But the $10,000 question is: did she accept the invite??!!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 19, 2014 00:10

One of my best friends is good pals with Neon Leon who jammed with some of the Stones.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2014 00:37

six

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 19, 2014 00:41

In my prior life I was 3rd cousins to Bill Wyman's Great Uncle!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:00

I am right there with ya, Mr Witness - maybe even farther, here's why:

1) I actually sat in the dead-last row at 3 Stones concerts. I even got one of those tickets the day seats went on sale.

2) I sent in questions several times to Keith's official website and he never answered even a single one. Not one!!!

4) I've played guitar for over 45 years and still can't play even ONE NOTE as good as Keith.

5) I spied Charlie riding in a limousine once. I smiled and waved at him and he frowned at me. Can you believe it! Frowned!

6) After many years of nagging and persuading at her go with me, I finally took my wife to a Stones concert once and it turned out to be the worst show I ever saw them do.

It is pretty obvious that they don't want anything to do with me, and yet still I keep coming back for more.

Witness
I have absolutely maximum number of degrees of separation from my favourite band.
It means that I am as far from being a VIP in a Rolling Stones context as is possible.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:09

Not counting the conversations I've had with Bernard, Blondie and Waddy, the Singer/Guitarist in one of the blues bands I was involved in, his wife is a former model who knew and worked with Jerry Hall. She had met Mick several times.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:10

I know a guy who bumped into Mick at a club in Sweden, being the gentleman he is, Mick was the one apologizing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-19 01:11 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:11

Beast
Bliss
My closest friend was taken backstage to meet Keith in 1994 and he invited her to a party.

But the $10,000 question is: did she accept the invite??!!

She was actually brought backstage after a concert by Stones staff at Keith's request. He had seen her from the stage. She is blonde, pretty, and 26 at the time. She met him, they talked for awhile, and he invited her to a party.

She declined!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:14

josepi
I am right there with ya, Mr Witness - maybe even farther, here's why:

1) I actually sat in the dead-last row at 3 Stones concerts. I even got one of those tickets the day seats went on sale.

2) I sent in questions several times to Keith's official website and he never answered even a single one. Not one!!!

4) I've played guitar for over 45 years and still can't play even ONE NOTE as good as Keith.

5) I spied Charlie riding in a limousine once. I smiled and waved at him and he frowned at me. Can you believe it! Frowned!

6) After many years of nagging and persuading at her go with me, I finally took my wife to a Stones concert once and it turned out to be the worst show I ever saw them do.

It is pretty obvious that they don't want anything to do with me, and yet still I keep coming back for more.

Witness

hilarious....post of the day Josepi

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:37

Rockman
Donovan Leitch Jr. was an actor in the movie. His father knew Brian Jones and probably the rest of the group.

Donovan Snr ... raised Brian's son Julian

Yes, I know, I was trying to be cute and failed miserably. I've had quite a few dreams where I've met them or hung out with them or played an instrument with them (though I can't in real life, or meet them for that matter). My landlord hung out with Ron Wood and Ian when Ron lived in L.A. He remembers there being a lot of Guinness.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:41

josepi

The words of a true Stonesfan.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:43

I once screamed "Keef" while he ripped an extended solo from Street Fighting Man just a few meters away from me...does that count?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:44

Me and Keef have both been to the gates of hell ... And I tell ya it was hotter than 6 degreeeeeees

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 19, 2014 03:05

As if there could ever be any real difference between, say, four degrees of separation and six--either you know them or you don't.

Anyway, to give this "six degrees of separation" theory a bit of perspective, and I emphasize the word theory, there were only six steps of introduction separating everyone in the world was first put forth in 1929, when the world population was only 1.8 billion. In 2014, according to "worldometers real time world statistics" [www.worldometers.info], it's over 7.25 billion.

So, wouldn't it now be at least 24 degrees of separation and counting?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 19, 2014 03:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:04 by camper88.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: September 19, 2014 03:58

I play bass in a local band.

Many years ago our drummer was in a band with trumpet player Roddy Lorimer.

Roddy (with horn section Kick Korns) played on Steel Wheels.

He tells a story of arriving at their first session and being greeted by Keith and Ronnie who welcomed the Jocks (Scots) warmly and offered some alcohol.

According to Roddy Mick quickly appeared and ushered the horn section away from K and R in order to get them to sign their contract for the session.

Slightly OT they also played on the Who's 89 US Tommy Tour.

On the flight home Roger Daltrey handed each member of the brass section an envelope containing a bonus payment over and above their fee.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 19, 2014 04:47

Okay, here goes...my itty bitty very lame six degrees of Stones separation.

My daughter did an internship a year or so ago with a modeling agency in NYC. She sends me a text...Mom, have you ever heard of Alexandra Richards? Yes, of course I have, that's Keith Ricards daughter! Bloomer's daughter says, well I have to get her passport in order and I thought her name sounded familiar.

That's it.

It was ridiculous how excited I got about it. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2014 04:52

I've got a very interesting connection.

I bought GRRR! from Amazon...there's an employee there that stuck the cd in a carton.

Apparently, he's related to a guy that went to school with a guy, who's girlfriends mother's sister had a date with a guy that had a record signed by a roadie that worked on the Steel Wheels tour that once said hi to Keith.

I feel like I know them directly.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 19, 2014 05:28

<<I feel like I know them directly.>>

Nine degrees of separation out of six, not bad.

How does that old saying go... was it 'Three out of two ain't bad'... or something?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 19, 2014 06:38

I had coffee in the Starbucks in Kingston. I heard that Ronnie had once been in there.

Wait: I shook hands with Chuck Berry. He punched Keith. So, I touched the hand that punched Keith. There you go . . .

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 19, 2014 07:01

A pal of mine once booked Jimi Hendrix for a student dance thing, and met him (obviously).

Jimi met all of the Stones.

So, there's my first claim.

I got John Lennon to sign something, and he knew all of them.

There's another.

(Sherry Daly once emailed me, does that count?)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home