Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: In Context Goats Head Soup is a triumph rather than a disappointment....
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 10, 2014 14:39

Fantastic album in any context.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 10, 2014 15:07

My 1st Stones album, so in the context of my life - it's always been a triumph and still is...............

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: September 10, 2014 18:21

mickboy
Hello all.
As I layed out in the liner notes for 'Dancing So Free' GHS was a very transitional period as Mick T was doing two things: thinking about his future in the band and at the very same time, because of Keefs intense drug use, Mick J grooming Mick T to ascend to the second spot in the Stones in case Keef went south of where he was at. It's evident in the video's. On GHS you see Mick T being brought to the forefront of the 'stage' so to speak. And make the transition to IORR and you have Mick T in the front singing backing vocals with Keef relegated to the background. Very Intense stuff going on within the confines of the band. Now back to GHS. I honestly think Jagger WANTED to go somewhere musically more adventurous that Keef didn't have the desire to go to. So Mick J went with Mick T to see how it would come out. Stop now and digest that.

So fast forward to the 'Supergroup' Jagger tried a few years ago. Pretty much along the same lines musically. But both projects petered out because the 'Hand Of Fate' came into play and it wasn't meant to carry forward. But.....we have this Beautiful piece of Vinyl to listen to till the day we die.
I must confess, it took me up to my maturity age of 30+ and a budding appreciation for Blues and Jazz before GHS really grabbed my balls. But to me, it's in the top 6 of Stones albums. And I have to thank Mick T and Mick J for giving it a go and giving us this glimpse of 'what could have been'.
Mickboy

This. thumbs up

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 10, 2014 19:18

I won't speculate about tensions within the band but from my perspective they left it all on the floor at Nellcote. Where could they possibly go from there?

GHS is probably better in retrospect than many of us thought in '73. You have to admire their desire to "evolve."

But they'd already lost their mojo and GHS began the string of verging-on-self-parody efforts we got from them in the mid-70's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 19:20 by LongBeachArena72.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 10, 2014 19:21

EddieByword
My 1st Stones album, so in the context of my life - it's always been a triumph and still is...............

Me too...I (obviously) now know it's not their greatest album but it will always be my 1st and I remember also enjoying my parents (and siblings) disapproval..which was great

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 10, 2014 20:04

exhpart
EddieByword

Me too...I (obviously) now know it's not their greatest album but it will always be my 1st and I remember also enjoying my parents (and siblings) disapproval..which was great

Still in my top three, I know the traditionally accepted big 4 as you do - but I go by what I play the most and that's GHS, Black and Blue & Undercover - or precisely a disc of my favs from those 3. Some girls deluxe on one disc on shuffle is good too....although I left out Lies as it wouldn't all fit............and Exile & Some Girls bonus together, on shuffle

I guess 'your' first Stones album is like always having a place in your heart for your first 'proper' gf/bf........

It was Kick out the Jams - MC5 that won the disapproval vote in our house - "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??????"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 20:10 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 10, 2014 20:56

I loved the MC5. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 10, 2014 21:32

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
Redhotcarpet
I bet Keith finally had enough and put a stop to that new partnership.

...Oh, did he?! Please elaborate.

Of course he didn't smiling smiley

As evidenced by all the Jagger/Taylor classic recordings I see listed on my album sleeves during the Taylor years.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 10, 2014 21:47

Yes all songs were written 100% by Jagger/Richards because it says so on the album sleeve. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 10, 2014 21:48

Goats Head Soup was great when it first came out and it remains great.

If they brought out an album of this quality today I think most of us IORRians would be extremely pleased. To think their last studio album may well be A Bigger Bang which was mainly poor when it came out and remains mainly poor - and that's being polite!

BTW, I do realise that a many IORRians would be pleased if they brought out an album today full stop.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 10, 2014 23:54

i bought most of my stones albums within a few months of each other, so some got shelved in favour for those that stuck out more. as a result i already had a bias against some of their music due to reading revues and didnt have the advantage of buying the music in real time and having a year or so to digest it properly.

this meant it took me longer to get into some of the music but i do remember reading that goats head soup was the begining of the end of the stones, thats how the music media perceived it to be.

i did however like star star, silver train, dancing with mr d, angie, hide your love and heartbreaker. the rest of the album is ok.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 11, 2014 01:51

Not a triumph at all. Quite a mixed bag. Miller's production prowess was declining fast. Heroin, and the past, did seem to be catching up to them. It's the 70s Between the Buttons, with a couple great songs, and a few clunkers too. And Angie simply outclasses the whole affair.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 11, 2014 03:29

It's got Nicky Hopkins on it, and the Rolling Stones, so it's going to have its sound and its moments. But Mick was definitely pushing into self-parody, or at least self-comsciousness in his lyrics and performance. As for this "great partnership" with MT, they did some nice stuff together, but some of the slower things on GHS and IORR are the weakest material they did until the 80's came.

Posted by: gordianus57 ()
Date: September 11, 2014 03:55

Hi, Mickboy.

Good to see you again.

Thanks for the Dancing So Free and its liner notes; they've given me years of enjoyment.

Appreciate all the work over the years.

Karl

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 11, 2014 04:14

24FPS
Not a triumph at all. Quite a mixed bag. Miller's production prowess was declining fast. Heroin, and the past, did seem to be catching up to them. It's the 70s Between the Buttons, with a couple great songs, and a few clunkers too. And Angie simply outclasses the whole affair.

This reinforces my notion that I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't and isn't into Angie. If I were the sort of person who takes bathroom breaks during a show, which I'm not, it would be during that song.

I have no idea why. Nothing about it grabs me at all, though I can see objectively that it's a good song.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 11, 2014 06:19

Ah you speak for me again, Aqua..."Angie" is such a whiney song.

Date: September 11, 2014 10:35

Some songs, whether we like them or not, stand as colossuses.

I see all the weak points with Angie (the "too muchness", the cliche-ish overuse of strings etc).

Yet, it is a monumental ballad in all its heartpiercing sadness - it's real, too. There is a reason why they're still playing it.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 11, 2014 11:17

DandelionPowderman
I thought he always looked uncomfortable in the hats, the glitter and the make up Mick probably encouraged him to put on.

He looked much cooler without that shit, imo smiling smiley

Yeah, I think I have to agree, although I think it's fun for a change to see him like that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 11, 2014 11:43

DandelionPowderman

I see all the weak points with Angie (the "too muchness", the cliche-ish overuse of strings etc).

Yet, it is a monumental ballad in all its heartpiercing sadness - it's real, too. There is a reason why they're still playing it.

Yeah, seemingly "Angie" and "Miss You" are the songs causing most controversy among Stones fans (especially here) as far as their most important and popular songs ever go. I love both of them dearly, and it would be hard for me to think how much poorer the Stones repertuare and legacy would be without them. Both convincing wins in not so typical ground for them. That's the richness of this band for me. But I do understand the sentiments by some fans why they are not winning 'rightly' with these kind of 'cheap' hit songs...

- Doxa

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 11, 2014 11:59

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, seemingly "Angie" and "Miss You" are the songs causing most controversy among Stones fans (especially here) as far as their most important and popular songs ever go. I love both of them dearly, and it would be hard for me to think how much poorer the Stones repertuare and legacy would be without them. Both convincing wins in not so typical ground for them. That's the richness of this band for me. But I do understand the sentiments by some fans why they are not winning 'rightly' with these kind of 'cheap' hit songs...

- Doxa

thumbs up

Date: September 11, 2014 16:18

Redhotcarpet
Yes all songs were written 100% by Jagger/Richards because it says so on the album sleeve. eye rolling smiley

I think the point was that despite Jagger/Taylor working together we didn't actually get to the point where Taylor was actually credited, ultimately spoiling any potential writing partnership.

So you needn't get all 'eye-rolly' on me...what you need to do is actually focus those eyes on what you're reading.

Date: September 11, 2014 16:22

treaclefingers
Redhotcarpet

I think the point was that despite Jagger/Taylor working together we didn't actually get to the point where Taylor was actually credited, ultimately spoiling any potential writing partnership.

So you needn't get all 'eye-rolly' on me...what you need to do is actually focus those eyes on what you're reading.

You didn't have your coffee yet this morning, Treacle? winking smiley

Date: September 11, 2014 16:46

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Redhotcarpet

You didn't have your coffee yet this morning, Treacle? winking smiley

Actually, I'm 1/3 of the way through my morning coffees.

I don't get into the groove though, until at least midway through my second cup...good observation Dandy!

Date: September 11, 2014 16:49

grinning smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:14

TeddyB1018
It's got Nicky Hopkins on it, and the Rolling Stones, so it's going to have its sound and its moments. But Mick was definitely pushing into self-parody, or at least self-comsciousness in his lyrics and performance. As for this "great partnership" with MT, they did some nice stuff together, but some of the slower things on GHS and IORR are the weakest material they did until the 80's came.

Couldn't disagree more, and I think you have it backwards. It's the rock songs that are weaker than usual and rather forced. The slow songs are wonderful and some of Mick's (and in the case of Keith) best and most heartfelt lyrics he's ever written. The self-parody on ballads came much later.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:34

The killer songs on GHS are indeed the slow ones - Coming Down Again, Winter, Can You Hear The Music. But that relentless, pounding riff in Heartbreaker is always great to hear.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:44

See post below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 18:46 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:45

treaclefingers
Redhotcarpet

The funny thing is, Taylor said in an interview he had no idea why he was credited for Ventilator Blues when he had significantly more input on other songs. So it goes both ways with the Jagger/Richards song stamp. I hear many parallels between Goat's Head Soup songs and moments on Taylor's first solo album. I think we should disregard our eyes altogether, and use our ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 18:46 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:54

Aquamarine
24FPS

This reinforces my notion that I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't and isn't into Angie. If I were the sort of person who takes bathroom breaks during a show, which I'm not, it would be during that song.

I have no idea why. Nothing about it grabs me at all, though I can see objectively that it's a good song.

Angie is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 11, 2014 19:05

Angie is epic

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home