Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: clowns -- hilarious? terrifying? embarrassing? grotesque? or what?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2014 23:21

As youngster we had funny clown in Holland "Pipo de Clown" he alway said ...........flapper the flapper the flap ;o)
But watching IT from Stephen King years ago I'm done.......maybe Oleg Popov is still fun but he doesn't talk...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 10, 2014 23:28

Clown phobia is not so bad, at least you can easily avoid them. Did an exercise today with some students, asking them to write about their biggest fear..one kid said she was afraid of the solar system! eye popping smiley

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 11, 2014 02:59

Shakes is the only clown

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 11, 2014 07:45

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 11, 2014 07:50

In the scheme of things in descending order:

1. Clowns
2. Mimes
3. "Human Statues", those wrteched people in silver body paint who infect tourist locales all over the western world, and whose one and only skill is standing still for a very long time. "Oh, I thought you were a statue, but you're a person!". That is amusing exactly one time. There is video on YouTube of a kid walking up to one of these "street performers" and giving him a quick kick in the shin. Let's see you stand still and quiet now, moron. These people need to find honest work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 07:51 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: September 11, 2014 11:48

Clowns are annoying. Clowns trying to be funny are bad but sad clowns are probably the worst. Evil ones did not come about until people got scared by the 'funny' and sad ones, I would imagine.

And what are they trying to prove with their size 20 shoes?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 11, 2014 13:09

Come on, give the clowns a break. Which is the next group we are going after? Trapeze artists? Or the circus itself?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 11, 2014 14:50

swiss
Bliss
I hadn't seen or given any thought to clowns since my last trip to the circus as a child. I don't think I ever found them funny. Then as an adult I saw them at Cirque du Soleil. The clowns dressed as 18th century French footmen in powdered wigs were great and added a lot to the show.

Then they had typical hobo clowns. Suddenly I saw them for what they were and are - homeless people. It seemed really tasteless to laugh at them, and it made me think of what clowns must have been through the centuries - homeless people with mental retardation, mental illness, deformities or substance abuse problems trying to eke out a living in the only way they could, by allowing people to laugh at them. I could barely watch them, and ever since, have found them unbearable.

oh my god.

You disagree? I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 15:10 by Bliss.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:38

Stoneage
Come on, give the clowns a break. Which is the next group we are going after? Trapeze artists? Or the circus itself?

I don't have anything against clowns, just don't find them very entertaining. But I would never knock the circus, I actually come from circus people (I can hear some of you now...THAT explains a lot!). My two aunts were in the Barnum and Bailey show back in the 40's and early 50's and my Dad traveled with them a few summers. That's how that side of my family ended up in Sarasota. FL.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:56

71Tele

great song winking smiley

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 12, 2014 00:05

More Hot Rocks
Stoneage
My favourite clown is Bill O'Reilly on Fox News. Whenever I want a good laugh I surf for his "interviews" on Youtube. He never disappoints me...

AHHH Good one! yeah Bill O the Clown!

Or. the disgusting excuse for a "moderator" of that Romney - Obama debate. candy Crowley - now THAT IS A CLOWN
Or that digraceful Olbermann
Or anyone on CNN.

Damn..this list could go on endlessely

Point is, you cannot resist.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 12, 2014 01:06

Bliss
swiss
Bliss
I hadn't seen or given any thought to clowns since my last trip to the circus as a child. I don't think I ever found them funny. Then as an adult I saw them at Cirque du Soleil. The clowns dressed as 18th century French footmen in powdered wigs were great and added a lot to the show.

Then they had typical hobo clowns. Suddenly I saw them for what they were and are - homeless people. It seemed really tasteless to laugh at them, and it made me think of what clowns must have been through the centuries - homeless people with mental retardation, mental illness, deformities or substance abuse problems trying to eke out a living in the only way they could, by allowing people to laugh at them. I could barely watch them, and ever since, have found them unbearable.

oh my god.

You disagree? I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

No!!! That was brilliant, Bliss. Of course I don't disagree. It's horrifying because it's clearly true!
I had never thought of that and as soon as you said that all sorts of visions of the past came to mine,
of sad sack people doing what they can for anyone to spare a dime. Also reminded me of this girl
in high school who no one liked. She showed up at a beach party and got really drunk. These horrible
older boys started harrassing her. She was a lesbian and very boy-ish and loved sports and these
guys were not very nice football players. She was trying to curry favor with them, complimenting them
on their football moves and such--so they started making fun of her, in very terrible ways. Like
spinning her around and around and staggering with drunk dizzyness. And at first she was upset
but then she saw they were laughing so she started "clowning," and they did it all the more--they
sprayed her down with the keg of beer and then rolled her in the sand while people stood around
and watched and laughed. And she was crying and laughing and dancing around, like making fun of
herself in the most self-loathing manner, but happy that people were gathered around laughing.

Anyway. Like that. What you said. The pathos of clowns -- and the mania of clowns -- ay yi yi.

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-12 01:18 by swiss.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2014 01:24

Huey "Piano" Smith and The Clowns.

High Blood Pressure
Don't You Just Know It
Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu

........ Hey R&B don't come much funnier than these ... And what a band!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 12, 2014 01:25

i don't think we should generalize about these clowns. each is a unique individual, like a snowflake.

Date: September 12, 2014 02:06

Natlanta
i don't think we should generalize about these clowns. each is a unique individual, like a snowflake.

Or a precious grain of sand!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 12, 2014 17:08

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-12 17:09 by ryanpow.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 12, 2014 17:09

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-12 17:10 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 12, 2014 22:33

Clowns -- hilarious? terrifying? embarrassing? grotesque? or what?

Definitely WHAT???

Not that they scare me or anything, but I prefer my slapstick in plain clothes.

Date: September 13, 2014 03:54

[www.youtube.com]

This is from one of the great Mr. Show. One of their best skits too. Totally worth watching the whole thing. But at the end @ 7.40 clown comes in; sort of a clown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-13 04:03 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2014 04:56

ROCKMAN

Date: September 13, 2014 08:31

71Tele
In the scheme of things in descending order:

1. Clowns
2. Mimes
3. "Human Statues", those wrteched people in silver body paint who infect tourist locales all over the western world, and whose one and only skill is standing still for a very long time. "Oh, I thought you were a statue, but you're a person!". That is amusing exactly one time. There is video on YouTube of a kid walking up to one of these "street performers" and giving him a quick kick in the shin. Let's see you stand still and quiet now, moron. These people need to find honest work.

I've never actually seen #3. What happened when the kid kicked the human statue?

My list would be:

1. People in animal and/or other oversized costumes [i.e., mascots and their ilk]
2. clowns
3. buskers playing show tunes on a trumpet

Great Elvis Costello tunes. Also thinking of, God's Comic, tho that's about a priest rather
than a clown.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: September 13, 2014 08:58

swiss sez: "I've never actually seen #3. What happened when the kid kicked the human statue?"

I guess it's this one:

I like this one more tho:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-13 09:08 by Milan.

Date: September 13, 2014 09:36

Milan

I like this one more tho:

Fantastic - I side with the statue here.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 14, 2014 00:55

"I'm talking Krusty and I don't like you, you Homer Simpson!"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 14, 2014 04:00

swiss
Natlanta

Or a precious grain of sand!

yes.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home