Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
People don't clap enough anymore like we used to because ...
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:11

... because everyone's hands are busy with smartphones and cameras.

Re: People don't clap enough anymore like we used to because ...
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:20

...and this picture is taken with a smartphone or camera...I would call that "ironic".

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:33

Saw a funny scene the other day in Elton John's latest video on this same subject. There's a part in the show where the audience is allowed on-stage, well this woman is standing next to Elton filming it. I wonder if she knew the whole concert was coming out on DVD. Another observation is before the smart phone I don't remember seeing a lot of people with cameras or recording devices at concerts. Maybe people have more money these days. Personally I can't be bothered with all that because I'm trying to enjoy the performance.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:37

71Tele
...and this picture is taken with a smartphone or camera...I would call that "ironic".

Truly!

When I do shoot at a concert (not often), I don't even look through the viewfinder though. I watch the real thing in front of us instead of watching the show on a tiny glass screen. That's why the video is shaky! Especially if I dance/ move with the music... And I of course I NEVER sing along because my voice would be loud on the recording. (Nobody would want that ...)

Clapping is tricky though. Definitely can't do that during the song... Maybe just at the end, but I guess that means slapping your thigh or something. It's easier to just cheer yay...

I have a trick instead of clapping with one hand. Squeeze and release an empty plastic water bottle... Sound like more people clapping in the crowd.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:43

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:44

I'll take a couple pics for my tour scrapbooks, but that is it. Some people just go a little crazy with the pics and videos. I wonder how many times the causual fan will go back and watch their videos?

Went to see Jack White weeks ago and he did a cool thing. A guy came out and said that they will be photographing throughout the show. Just go to Jack's website the next day and d/l as many as you want. Still had a bunch of people with their cells, but a lot less than normal.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:49

Venues should ban the bloody things.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 8, 2014 18:59

vudicus
Venues should ban the bloody things.

They used to!

20 quid! Those were the days.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: People don't clap enough anymore like we use>grinning smiley<d to because ...
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:01

...because of the Stones fan demographic. They're all older now and clapping hurts. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:03

It's not just concerts. I went to the Dali museum in Figueres, Spain a couple years back. There was a group of kids there on a field trip. They stopped at every f-ing painting and got up close to them and took a photo of each and every one. They barely looked at the paintings when they were taking photos of them and I doubt they ever looked at them again.

I used to take photos at rock concerts until I realized I wasn't enjoying what was right in front of me.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:20

24FPS
It's not just concerts. I went to the Dali museum in Figueres, Spain a couple years back. There was a group of kids there on a field trip. They stopped at every f-ing painting and got up close to them and took a photo of each and every one. They barely looked at the paintings when they were taking photos of them and I doubt they ever looked at them again.

I used to take photos at rock concerts until I realized I wasn't enjoying what was right in front of me.

Same thing at MOMA in New York! Instead of actually looking at the incredible art, people were elbowing me aside to take pictures with their phones and tablets. You want a picture? Buy a freaking print or postcard in the gift shop.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:50

Everytime I've tried to take video with my phone, it is a complete disaster. I can't keep still enough or quiet enough and it completely distracts me. Plus, half the time I think I'm taking video when it's set to photos or I'm trying to just snap a few photos and I've thumbed the bar over to video. Now I just try to grab a few pics, if I'm close enough, at the beginning or end and that's it.

71Tele, I know what you mean about MOMA. When I was there everyone was crowded around Van Gogh's Starry Night, not to look at it but to take a picture with their camera. What's the point of that?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:34

So true and so ANNOYING! No one really is PRESENT anymore! Technology is not always a good thing!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:44

I don't think it's the technology that makes audiences annoying these days. Twenty years ago there were many write-ups noting how concert-goers, particularly in smaller venues like clubs, were taking to talking nonstop through performances--and this was well before the cell phone craze took hold. If you listen to Mick Taylor's 2003 live release Shadowman, you hear the crowd being chatty and also extra annoying with another unpleasant hallmark of audience behavior from that time--all the hooting and hollering, as if they were at a rodeo.

So perhaps the cell phones are a good thing, in that it has helped keep an already distracted audience even more distracted, so that at least they are not as annoying vocally.

They used to hold lighters up, but no more. Now it's a sea of fireflies, what with all the backlighting.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:48

...haven't they got a Drone that can take all them phones down ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:51

....everyone rattles their jewellery?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:52

latebloomer
Everytime I've tried to take video with my phone, it is a complete disaster. I can't keep still enough or quiet enough and it completely distracts me. Plus, half the time I think I'm taking video when it's set to photos or I'm trying to just snap a few photos and I've thumbed the bar over to video. Now I just try to grab a few pics, if I'm close enough, at the beginning or end and that's it.

71Tele, I know what you mean about MOMA. When I was there everyone was crowded around Van Gogh's Starry Night, not to look at it but to take a picture with their camera. What's the point of that?

you made me laugh at that one...I don't know how many times I've messed that up.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: September 9, 2014 01:04

Not to mention all the crappy videos that are posted where the sound is distorted and the image is out of focus or shaky. If it isn't quality please don't post it. I get it, you were there and many others weren't! Big deal.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: September 9, 2014 01:07

This is a fun thread if you substitute "clap" with "crap"

ex: ..because of the Stones fan demographic. They're all older now and crapping hurts.

this one is the best:

Crapping is tricky though. Definitely can't do that during the song... Maybe just at the end, but I guess that means slapping your thigh or something. It's easier to just cheer yay...

I have a trick instead of crapping with one hand. Squeeze and release an empty plastic water bottle... Sound like more people crapping in the crowd.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: September 9, 2014 04:18

It has destroyed common civility in almost every aspect of life.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 9, 2014 04:26

I'm so old that I thought a good comeback when someone was outside in public talking way too loud on their phone was, "Hey! This isn't a public phone booth!" Then I realized none of them are old enough to remember phone booths. God I'm old.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 9, 2014 06:35

People don't clap enough anymore like we used to because ...not enough bands make professional videos/dvds of their shows that you can buy on the way out.............or...like The Who, on-line later.............

or...no-one's invented a hat/baseball cap with a camera in the front of it yet.........

oorr... they're too busy smearing vaseline on their camera lenses.......

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: September 13, 2014 02:28

Couple of years ago, Roger Waters was on 60 Minutes. When asked what bothered him these days, Waters replied, " I don't understand why people want to watch the show through a little screen, when so much is happening on the big screen."

Date: September 13, 2014 02:39

...we want deeper catalogue cuts.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 13, 2014 03:14

<<no-one's invented a hat/baseball cap with a camera in the front of it yet>>

Yes, they have. And you can get a pretty good deal on them. Some outlets sell them at just over $200 USD--and that's down from the regular price of $400. Camera's in the front and a mini DVR 500 recorder is in the back. [www.spytecinc.com]

Date: September 13, 2014 03:17

...we also want deeper plough cuts.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 13, 2014 04:09

... because we got old eye popping smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 13, 2014 04:09

stonehearted
<<no-one's invented a hat/baseball cap with a camera in the front of it yet>>

Yes, they have. And you can get a pretty good deal on them. Some outlets sell them at just over $200 USD--and that's down from the regular price of $400. Camera's in the front and a mini DVR 500 recorder is in the back. [www.spytecinc.com]

Amazing, thanks, I didn't know that....now as treacle pointed out....sort the setlists out and clapping might be back on the agenda...........cool smiley

Date: September 13, 2014 04:37

Rockman
...we also want deeper plough cuts.

dear lord I need another shower!

Date: September 13, 2014 04:58

...geeeeeeeez treacle you must be the cleanest dirty-man I know

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home