Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2015 01:34

24FPS
Even though Doom and Gloom is the only meaningful song the Stones have released since A Bigger Bang, it was astonishingly good. It doesn't sound like anything the Stones had done before, in a good way. The bass doesn't do crap for the song, but I've given up any of those @#$%& understanding good bass at this point. But the rest of it was really catchy and up to date without being annoying (like some of Bridges to Babylon).

I think in order for a single to really hit now it has to have a dance club element, ala Iggy Azalea's 'I'm So Fancy', Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines', or 'I Am The Best' by the Korean Pop Group 2NE1. The Stones can't really compete with that. In the old days they would take what's big, huge dance club sound, and fused it with their own rock and blues elements to create a monster hybrid, like they did with 'Miss You'. Still, I wouldn't put it past them to pull something like that off. I can't help but feel there's one more worldwide, late career smash for them.

fingers crossed

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2015 01:51

I think the point is they haven't had a defining song and single since Start Me Up (perhaps they need to go back and listen to their throw away songs since that was one). Nothing has come close. If the song is good... the genre, age and dance aspects are moot.

They should be, anyway.

Date: February 19, 2015 02:00

GasLightStreet
I think the point is they haven't had a defining song and single since Start Me Up (perhaps they need to go back and listen to their throw away songs since that was one). Nothing has come close. If the song is good... the genre, age and dance aspects are moot.

They should be, anyway.

You're right, but on the other hand, what the last actual 'rock' song to break the top ten? Top twenty?

Can't even think of one. Nirvana with Smells Like Teen Spirit takes us back over 20 years. There have to be others though...

Date: February 19, 2015 02:05

I don't know. I stopped paying attention after Nirvana stopped, Soundgarden quit and Pearl Jam were more interested in jamming with Neil Young. They've since improved... but the life of rock music on the charts? Not a clue.

Date: February 19, 2015 02:07

GasLightStreet
I don't know. I stopped paying attention after Nirvana stopped, Soundgarden quit and Pearl Jam were more interested in jamming with Neil Young. They've since improved... but the life of rock music on the charts? Not a clue.

I just looked at the Hot 100 on Billboard...didn't see anything in the top 50.

It is a challenge I think.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2015 02:36

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

They should be, anyway.

You're right, but on the other hand, what the last actual 'rock' song to break the top ten? Top twenty?

Can't even think of one. Nirvana with Smells Like Teen Spirit takes us back over 20 years. There have to be others though...

Aerosmith's Jaded hit #7 on 2001, it was the last Top 20 hit by a rock band/artist over 50+ years not including collaborations as Macca's later duets.

Date: February 19, 2015 02:46

georgelicks
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

They should be, anyway.

Aerosmith's Jaded hit #7 on 2001, it was the last Top 20 hit by a rock band/artist over 50+ years not including collaborations as Macca's later duets.

I blame the media.

Date: February 19, 2015 02:52

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
georgelicks
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

They should be, anyway.

I blame the media.

I blame the audience...and BTW, thanks for that info George.

That's staggering, 14 years since there's been a R'n'R song break the top 20.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2015 03:46

treaclefingers
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
georgelicks
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

They should be, anyway.

I blame the media.

I blame the audience...and BTW, thanks for that info George.

That's staggering, 14 years since there's been a R'n'R song break the top 20.

The young people in America is into other stuff, Urban R&B, Pop Country and Dance/Pop stuff, rock music is indie stuff on the radio, music from the past.

Re: In the 10 years since the Rolling Stones released A Bigger Bang
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 19, 2015 11:19

Rik
corriecas
Doxa
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
The Stones have so many fans who complain about their recent output. Market- and demand-driven as they are, they listened to those fans and in six years they released more music than they have in decades:

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Doom And Gloom/One More Shot
Sweet Summer Sun

And soon: Sticky Fingers Deluxe...

Who's complaining?

Plus there's been the Ed Sullivan shows, T.A.M.I. Show, Get Yer Ya Yas box, the Crossfire Hurricane and Stones In Exile films.

I knew I forgot something. Thanks thumbs up

And the 7" with the 1964 BBC recordings and the 1963 IBC recordings bonus CD on the deluxe box-set of Grrr!. winking smiley

And still people are forgetting the brand-new recording of theirs, which even had Bill Wyman on it...

- Doxa

Which one do you mean , doxa..

Jeroen

Watching the river flow - boogie for stu

yeah, now i remember. Thanks for the info!!!
jeroen

Date: February 21, 2015 22:24

Well, AC/DC's 2008 single Rock'N'Roll Train "hit No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks, staying there for over three weeks" according to plickipedia.

Does that count?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 21, 2015 22:52

GasLightStreet
Well, AC/DC's 2008 single Rock'N'Roll Train "hit No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks, staying there for over three weeks" according to plickipedia.

Does that count?

No, because that's separate from the actual Hot 100 singles chart, which is the main chart for hit singles. The Mainstream Rock Tracks chart is what rock stations, including Classic Rock, play. On that chart, Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking were #2, Anybody Sued My Baby was #3, Flip the Switch was #14, Saint of Me was #13, Don't Stop was #21, Rough Justice was #25, and Doom and Gloom was #35.

So in their own niche market, they still do pretty well.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 11, 2015 13:11

Listened to ABB last night, first time in a few months, and I honestly feel it's a great album. It's overlong, yes, at 16 tracks it is a good 3 or 4 songs too long, but my 'A Better Bang' on the ol' ipod, a 12-track collection, is a corker!

I was reading a lot of reviews of the album recently also, including on RateYourMusic, and the album get's quite a lot of respect. Not every review is good, but a majority are, some grudgingly so; i.e. never thought a band of 60 something year olds could make something as vital sounding as this.

My favourite description of it in 2005; "the Stones have no right to sound this decadent and disgraceful in 2005, I love it".

It will never equal the icocnic titles of the 60s and 70s, but it is a very good album, in places quite excellent and inspired.

Date: March 11, 2015 13:24

stonehearted
GasLightStreet

Does that count?

No, because that's separate from the actual Hot 100 singles chart, which is the main chart for hit singles. The Mainstream Rock Tracks chart is what rock stations, including Classic Rock, play. On that chart, Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking were #2, Anybody Sued My Baby was #3, Flip the Switch was #14, Saint of Me was #13, Don't Stop was #21, Rough Justice was #25, and Doom and Gloom was #35.

Flip The Switch?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 11, 2015 13:38

My opinion remains the same: a great album, but a sad anniversary: 10 years vacancy, no creativity ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-11 13:38 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 11, 2015 13:55

Believe it or not, "A Bigger Bang" is the one Rolling Stones album that I have never, ever heard, although I like some of the songs from it that they played live.

So there is one more Rolling Stones album for me to discover;-)

Lucky me! I'm looking forward to it!
(Bought it a few years ago...)

Date: March 11, 2015 16:00

stonehearted
GasLightStreet

Does that count?

Oh good grief, how many charts do they @#$%& need!!!!!!???????

What is the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart? Something that gathers info on how many times a new song has been played at any time on any station it's played on and then they cull it to its place among other new tracks in the same matter so it's more of an ad hoc chart than an actual chart?

The Hot 100 Singles chart? What about the Top 200 Singles chart? Or The Singles chart? The last time I looked at a Billboard magazine I was put to sleep by how many charts there were. I gave up.

Re: 10th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:33

Anyone know if there will be a deluxe re release?

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: June 26, 2015 14:12

There already are some kind of deluxe edition with extra songs.
Bigger Bang Special Edition, CD+DVD: [www.amazon.com]

Re: 10th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 26, 2015 16:13

Turner68
Anyone know if there will be a deluxe re release?

Yep, came out as special edition on release w/DVD of a few live and promo clips.

Date: June 26, 2015 19:32

Papo
Believe it or not, "A Bigger Bang" is the one Rolling Stones album that I have never, ever heard, although I like some of the songs from it that they played live.

So there is one more Rolling Stones album for me to discover;-)

Lucky me! I'm looking forward to it!
(Bought it a few years ago...)

Did you get A BIGGER BANG? If you have DIRTY WORK and not A BIGGER BANG there's something wrong with you!

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home