Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 20, 2014 00:45

RoughJusticOnYa's and Turd's posts clearly illustrates the different opinions one can have about this show. Sometimes you just have that special kind of appreciation for something a group like the Stones did, while others hate it. For me it's CS Blues (the '72 tour docu) -- I think it's a fabulous movie and love almost every minute of it, as disgusting as it sometimes is -- but many fan just loath it.

LA 75 .. poor or im a the only one ..
Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 19:11

got my LA 75 today

what a shame i dont like it the package looks more like a 2cd set with the DVD as a bonus ... and the audio of the DVD is just poor ... sounds more like an upgraded audience recording and i have heard many better recordings

after they cancelled the bluray on amazon i feel unhappy

Re: LA 75 .. poor or im a the only one ..
Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: November 19, 2014 20:14

You're the only one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 19, 2014 20:56

DECCA61
got my LA 75 today

what a shame i dont like it the package looks more like a 2cd set with the DVD as a bonus ... and the audio of the DVD is just poor ... sounds more like an upgraded audience recording and i have heard many better recordings

Didn't realize they cancelled it. That's odd, does anyone know why?

They didn't list it for weeks in the first place, so we all presumed that there wasn't going to be one.

Then, about a week ago this shows up, then it disappears. How very odd.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 11:01

DECCA61
got my LA 75 today

that's what I thought too.
You have 3 options for the audio
- dolby digital stereo 2ch
- dolgy digital 5.1
- dts 5.1

to me, the best one is the 3rd one. Did you try it ?

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 20, 2014 11:14

Turd On The Run
RoughJusticeOnYa
What a horrendous performance.

I've watched it until "Tumbling Dice" (included); and I had to stop it & take a break after that. Just couldn't stand any more/ any longer.
I'm curious, really wondering, exactly when (if ever) I'll feel the urge to watch the rest of it.

The band sound is a shamble; every rendition of these fantastic songs a disgrace; the guitar section is an onslaught to (then) 25 years of acquired Rock'n'Roll taste;
Jagger is obviously completely lost, acting absolutely desperate;
you can see & hear the greatest R'n'R frontman & performer ever, on stage with the greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World, think: "What the *** am I doin' here..."

Only Charlie, and the as-ever-hardly-audible-yet-omni-present Bill Wyman, are keeping this together (albeit barely). Thanx to this (brilliant) rhythm section, the ship still does sink, but not without land in sight.

It's the Stones at the absolute lowest point of "their 'best' 20 years" (although that last claim, this so-called 'fact', becomes VERY debatable after releases like this. Anybody who preferes this concert/ tour/ couple of years to any of the frequent glorious moments of the 1989-and-counting era, should have their ears & minds checked imo - feel free to take offence or not.)

Only because of "Love You Live", plus some testimonies from a couple of my mates that were able to see the band live that following year, I have reasons to believe that the '76 European tour was slightly better.
And you can think & say about LYL what you want, but: no matter what nor how many 'adjustments' (overdubs etc.) were done in the studio (or whichever of the claims that are sometimes used to slaughter it), at least it is an album you can boogie to.

Could not disagree more. Mythic tour. I saw the Stones in Madison Square Garden in 1975 on nights 1 and 4 of their 6 night stand in New York. This is one of the Stones' most interesting (and polarizing) tours. You literally HAD TO BE THERE to understand the vibe and the raunch and the pure decadence. Seeing it for the first time on DVD and judging the Stones from this is like trying to explain late-era Dietrich or Garland or Sinatra to people who never saw them live...impossible. The atmosphere crackled with danger and testosterone and the buzz was palpable. First tour with Ronnie...the Stones re-appear from their Glam Rock period after losing Mich Taylor and are now the ultimate Debauched Party Rock Band. It was an entirely different vibe and energy than the 1972 STP and 1973 Asian/European jaunts -- funkier, sloppier, and brighter. I know it is conventional wisdom to claim that the 1975 TOTA was a clear step down from the preceding tours, (I always deeply loved this particular tour...no band ever looked more "hip, zonked-out, give-a-fukc jet-set outlaws" than the Stones on this tour) but that is not a fair assessment of the tour as a whole...there was so much more...a lot of it was utterly visceral and rock and roll of the highest order (in the context of its time) and you know what?...as slipshod and shambolic as they were some nights (a flood of coke, heroin, groupies...) the tour was a messy, explosive, ear-deafening detonation! This release captures it perfectly...the agony, the ecstasy, the depravity, the decadence, and the excess. Glorious.

thumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 20, 2014 12:14

jpasc95
DECCA61
got my LA 75 today

that's what I thought too.
You have 3 options for the audio
- dolby digital stereo 2ch
- dolgy digital 5.1
- dts 5.1

to me, the best one is the 3rd one. Did you try it ?

If the blu-ray happens to be really cancelled, the only way that remains to get the DVD spundtrack in good quality is the Japanese 4-CD edition... At least the could have provided us with a stereo PCM track on the DVD (which is the case with the Some Girls Live in Texas DVD).

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 20, 2014 13:29

Turd On The Run , outstanding comments !!!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 16:14

Doxa
RoughJusticeOnYa
What a horrendous performance.

I've watched it until "Tumbling Dice" (included); and I had to stop it & take a break after that. Just couldn't stand any more/ any longer.
I'm curious, really wondering, exactly when (if ever) I'll feel the urge to watch the rest of it.

The band sound is a shamble; every rendition of these fantastic songs a disgrace; the guitar section is an onslaught to (then) 25 years of acquired Rock'n'Roll taste;
Jagger is obviously completely lost, acting absolutely desperate;
you can see & hear the greatest R'n'R frontman & performer ever, on stage with the greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World, think: "What the *** am I doin' here..."

Only Charlie, and the as-ever-hardly-audible-yet-omni-present Bill Wyman, are keeping this together (albeit barely). Thanx to this (brilliant) rhythm section, the ship still does sink, but not without land in sight.

It's the Stones at the absolute lowest point of "their 'best' 20 years" (although that last claim, this so-called 'fact', becomes VERY debatable after releases like this. Anybody who preferes this concert/ tour/ couple of years to any of the frequent glorious moments of the 1989-and-counting era, should have their ears & minds checked imo - feel free to take offence or not.)

Only because of "Love You Live", plus some testimonies from a couple of my mates that were able to see the band live that following year, I have reasons to believe that the '76 European tour was slightly better.
And you can think & say about LYL what you want, but: no matter what nor how many 'adjustments' (overdubs etc.) were done in the studio (or whichever of the claims that are sometimes used to slaughter it), at least it is an album you can boogie to.

>grinning smiley< It is good to see that this controversial item makes some difference... no way The Rolling Stones AD 1975 is easy to stomach, if the criterion is (a) the superb form of the band in its Taylor years, and (b) especially the safe entertainer product of 1989- and counting era (which Keith calls "best Stones ever").

But that said, I think you gave up too early. The band is a bit breathless, sloppy and lacks some energy and focus in the first part of the show, I think all the way to (outro of) "Tumbling Dice" - there are some great moments, though (such as the outro of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", when the band - Keith? - suddenly finds the groove and shows some of their potentia). Some really bad moments, such as "You Gotta Move" - both Mick and Keith sound like being asleep, both struggling to hit the right notes.

But I think you stopped exactly when the things started getting better and more interesting. The next cut "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" - the best live version of the song I ever heard - sets the tune right. It simply makes worthless any 'modern era' try of that song by reminding what the song is really all about. Even Jagger's voice wakes up. Then the experimental and damn interesting "Fingerprint File" moves the band into territory they've never been before, nor ever will be again. Jagger, now have something novel to do, sounds inspired. The ballads next, giving us time to breath for a while, and to be even emotional. Not bad at all, Jagger even singing, you know... (and extra kudos to Ronnie's beautiful solos).

For the show's drama, the Preston set works damn well. It gives us some distance from the ordinary, and besides the songs being good, and Preston performing well, the band plays surprisingly well. It almost sounds like they can't be as sloppy and 'couln't care less' like they might be with their own material...

Be the reason whatever, when the final part of the show starts with "Brown Sugar", the band seemingly had pushed "extra energy" button, and big time - namely, they simply FLY from then on. The sequence from "Brown Sugar" to "Sympathy For The Devil" is one of the strongest and energiest sets I ever heard from them, take any era. It is a showcase of the Stones hitting the transcendental: incredible energy and focus, guitar fiesta with the hottest (extended) rhythm section they ever have had. "Brown Sugar" is tight as hell, Richards and the rhythm section TOTALLY on fire, "Midnight Rambler" might be one of the best captured performances of Mick Jagger ever. As far as the encore number "Sympathy" goes... if anyone prefers the cabaret version they have done since 1989, well, that's really the question of taste... my idea of rock and roll is really something radically different... tongue sticking out smiley

Altogether, I think the show is a bit uneven - it both shows the band at its worst, but also at its best. I don't think it is as bad show as its reputation is (compared to other 1975 shows); it is probably the first part of the show which makes this impression, but from "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" on, they are hot as hell. It surely is not Keith's best nights, but being the caliber of player he was back then, plus having some glory moments, he can still make the band shine (mostly).

- Doxa

Spot on.

Has it happens due to other commitiments i had to stop at tumbling dice and after reading your comments started to watch iorr and a couple of others and it is pure rock and roll.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 20, 2014 16:31

treaclefingers
DECCA61
got my LA 75 today

They didn't list it for weeks in the first place, so we all presumed that there wasn't going to be one.

It may have taken down from Amazon because it was listed in error? AFAIK, no blu ray version was officially announced.

Date: November 20, 2014 17:01

Father Ted
treaclefingers
DECCA61
got my LA 75 today

It may have taken down from Amazon because it was listed in error? AFAIK, no blu ray version was officially announced.

yeah no doubt...just odd that they make a point of posting it well after the other versions, only to take it down days later.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 20, 2014 17:03

Has anyone checked the speed of the music on the DVD?
It sounds highly unlikely but "they" could have sped it up a bit to hide the overall slopiness of the perf...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 20, 2014 17:43

Haha, as if any of the '75-'76 performances needed speeding up.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 20, 2014 18:00

I still think that the old Love You Live album is better mixed and sounds better than this new release remixed in 2014.

And this release also makes me realise that Love You Live is a bit of an underrated album. The LYL versions of Honky Tonk Women, If You Can't Rock Me, Star Star and You Gotta Move is all much better than the same songs on this new dvd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 18:52 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: November 20, 2014 18:01

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 18:02 by dcba.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 20, 2014 18:26

I was surprised to see a Bluray mentioned given the premise of quality of the original pro shot tape. You cant raise that to HD

Date: November 20, 2014 19:13

TheBlockbuster

Love You Live is a bit of an underrated album. The LYL versions of Honky Tonk Women, If You Can't Rock Me, Star Star and You Gotta Move is all much better than the same songs on this new dvd.

LYL was heavily overdubbed in studio. The 75 DVD offers the raw deal so imo you can't really compare the two.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:27

dcba
TheBlockbuster

Love You Live is a bit of an underrated album. The LYL versions of Honky Tonk Women, If You Can't Rock Me, Star Star and You Gotta Move is all much better than the same songs on this new dvd.

LYL was heavily overdubbed in studio. The 75 DVD offers the raw deal so imo you can't really compare the two.

Well I think I can beacause I've heard the raw bootleg versions of the recordings used for LYL, and those are superior to this 1975 concert aswell, but that's just a matter of opinion of course.

Date: November 20, 2014 21:36

maumau
I was surprised to see a Bluray mentioned given the premise of quality of the original pro shot tape. You cant raise that to HD

I think people were hoping for Blu Ray for the audio not necessarily the video.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 20, 2014 21:37

LieB
Haha, as if any of the '75-'76 performances needed speeding up.

Haha. They should've had JJ Cale pop up through the floor partway through the show & do "Cocaine". winking smiley I enjoyed the dvd though. SFTD is stunning & there are some other really good parts. "You Got To Move" & "Wild Horses" come to mind. They were still pretty close to the summit of Mt. Rock here!smoking smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: November 20, 2014 21:43

LOVE YOU LIVE is far superior ..Overmixed no Overwhelming !!!

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: November 20, 2014 21:44

LOVE YOU LIVE is far superior ..Over produced, - no Over whelming !!!.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 21:47 by Tonstone.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:07

Why no blu ray as opposed to L&G

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:54

Today I got my box: picture mediocre, but the source is forty years, and the music: incredible, the band in the seventies created music, every day anew. The concert on the 12th (11th) it is not better or worse than the one on the 13th, but remarkably different. And you can hear again why the Glimmer Twins decided to integrate Ronnie. Fantastic solos and rhythm parts. Now I'm waiting on the other three concerts in LA.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 21, 2014 00:15

Got the DVD today. Played it twice and I love it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 21, 2014 00:24

TheBlockbuster
I still think that the old Love You Live album is better mixed and sounds better than this new release remixed in 2014.

And this release also makes me realise that Love You Live is a bit of an underrated album. The LYL versions of Honky Tonk Women, If You Can't Rock Me, Star Star and You Gotta Move is all much better than the same songs on this new dvd.

I love everything from and about 1975-1977 but I have to take my hat off for you sir/madam. LYL is indeed underrated and misunderstood. And it could have been soooo much better. HTW LYL version is the best ever. They could have just let it rest after 1976. If you cant rock me is amazing but there are so many great versions, check out the Buffalo (sure is) Hot as hell in here version from 1975.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 02:46

Angie is sooooooooooooo f**** up by the whole band. Solo by Ronnie Wood is just awful and bad.

But the whole album is full of energy. A new phase in Stones history.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 06:23

Never considered myself a big fan of the 75 version of The Stones!

I've just watched the DVD all the way through. The band are a shambolic, decadent, over the top, sludgy drug fueled mess.

I @#$%& loved it...... Didn't play it safe in them days did they!

Anyways, you must excuse me, I'm going to watch it through again. I might even get up and have a little boogie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 06:24 by strat72.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 08:55

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 08:56 by lapaz62.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 21, 2014 12:17

I watched up to Star Star. So far it is truly awful IMO.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home