Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Glenn Cornick, Original Jethro Tull Bassist (1947 - 2014)
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 30, 2014 17:23

[www.noise11.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-30 23:21 by tatters.

Re: OT: RIP Glenn Cornick, Original Jethro Tull Bassist
Date: August 30, 2014 17:26

It is with great sadness that we learned today of the passing of Glenn Cornick, bass player with Jethro Tull from the band’s inception 1968 until 1970. Of course, he had also played with the John Evan Band for the year during 1967 and so his contribution to the geographical transition from Blackpool to London and into the professional music scene was considerable.
Glenn was a man of great bonhomie and ready to befriend anyone – especially fellow musicians. Always cheerful, he brought to the early stage performances of Tull a lively bravado both as a personality and a musician.
His background in the beat groups of the North of England and his broad knowledge of music were always helpful in establishing the arrangements of the early Tull.
During the many years since then, Glenn continued to play in various bands and was a frequent guest at Tull fan conventions where he would join in with gusto to rekindle the musical moments of the early repertoire.
We will miss him hugely and our condolences go to his wife Brigitte and children.
Glenn Cornick: musician. April 23rd 1947 – August 29th 2014.

-Ian Anderson 19.30 August 29th 2014

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 30, 2014 17:30

He was a real force back in the first few years of Jethro Tull, a perfect fit for the band. Some great baselines in the Stand Up album. In a JT documentary he said that Ian Anderson never personally explained the reason for firing him. I wonder if they ever reconciled.

Saw them several times in '69, the most memorable being when they opened for Led Zeppelin in San Bernardino. I thought then that they were a much better band that night, putting on a brilliant performance.

RIP Glenn Cornick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-30 17:42 by DaveG.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 30, 2014 17:30

He was around up until Aqualung, even though he didn't play on that album, so I consider him one of the core members as I only like Tull up to Aqualung. Thick As A Brick is ok, but I just got into it recently. For me, Tull is those first 4 albums so this is sad to hear. I believe he's the first of those early members to pass.

Very sad. A great musician that did his job well and probably isn't very widely known. I will most likely listen to Tull today as a tribute.

Date: August 30, 2014 17:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-30 17:44 by tatters.

Date: August 30, 2014 18:18

DaveG
He was a real force back in the first few years of Jethro Tull, a perfect fit for the band. Some great baselines in the Stand Up album. In a JT documentary he said that Ian Anderson never personally explained the reason for firing him. I wonder if they ever reconciled.

Saw them several times in '69, the most memorable being when they opened for Led Zeppelin in San Bernardino. I thought then that they were a much better band that night, putting on a brilliant performance.

RIP Glenn Cornick

I wish I had seen them with Glenn. As something of a Tull aficionado, it's my considered opinion that Stand Up is their best album, and that 1969-1970 was their peak period as a live band as well. Sadly, I didn't get around to seeing them until 1982, by which time only Ian and Martin remained from the "real" Tull .... and they were still great. In fact, the Tull concerts I attended in the 80s remain some of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: August 30, 2014 18:46

I personally LOVE Benefit. It is one of my 10 desert island discs. Quintessential psychedelia with amazing songs and riffs. Up there with A Space in Time and Blind Faith. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Date: August 30, 2014 19:06

Date: August 30, 2014 19:08

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 30, 2014 20:29

One of my favorite early Tull tunes, from their second album.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 30, 2014 20:48

To digress, but in a Jethro Tull vein, I only yesterday read the following in the 2013 book ROCKS OFF by Bill Janovitz: "In 1976...Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull...took English rock stars to task for claiming they were unfairly burdened by taxes, singling out...the Stones...to which Keith responded, `He sounded more like a provincial tax accountant. Who wants some freaky acid-head flute player teaching you about tax anyways?'"

Date: August 30, 2014 22:56

stonehearted
One of my favorite early Tull tunes, from their second album.

My favorite Tull track. Amazing to think Ian was only 21 when he recorded this album.

Date: August 30, 2014 23:00

Title5Take1
To digress, but in a Jethro Tull vein, I only yesterday read the following in the 2013 book ROCKS OFF by Bill Janovitz: "In 1976...Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull...took English rock stars to task for claiming they were unfairly burdened by taxes, singling out...the Stones...to which Keith responded, `He sounded more like a provincial tax accountant. Who wants some freaky acid-head flute player teaching you about tax anyways?'"

Keith never says anything nice about anyone who didn't record their first album in the 1950s .... or earlier.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 31, 2014 01:08

Bungo
I personally LOVE Benefit. It is one of my 10 desert island discs. Quintessential psychedelia with amazing songs and riffs. Up there with A Space in Time and Blind Faith. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Haha A Space In Time! Wow! Now there's a blast from the past. I'm more fond of Ssssh myself. And how can you go wrong with the greatness of Blind Faith.

That was a VERY different time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home