Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Your stories from the last tour
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 24, 2014 23:02

Hey guys, I searched to try to find a thread on this - so please redirect this topic...I couldn't find one but I'm sure it must be out there.

I saw the Stones in Chicago in May of 2013.

Someone here had posted that a tribute band (Tumbling Dice – I think), were playing at the Hard Rock. I and my pal sashayed over. A terrific party. I met fans from all over the U.S. and the world. In fact, one guy I danced with was from Chang Mai and knew my brother who’d lived there for many years. Lots drinks slid down and many great stones songs played.

The next day, sick enough to be prayed for, but thrilled because it was the night of the Stones show, I rallied. When we got to the stadium, what blew my mind were the amazing, intense sounds coming over the speakers. A total cross-fire hurricane -- roaring and raging over the din of the fans. But when I went outside for a smoke, I realized it wasn’t sound effects – we were in the middle of some kind of cataclysmic weather. Laughed my ass off!

When I came back in, our row had started to fill. How cool is it that almost all of the fans I partied with on Monday were in the same row? Finally, the stones arrive. Mick is amazing – a puppet master – we bolted up and started singing along. Then he starts thanking the fans, “You know, I realize a lot of you traveled a long way to get here – in fact someone all the way from Mexico.” I was blown away because a couple of weeks earlier, here on IORR, there was a post from a Mexican fan who was desperately trying to figure out how to get to the Chicago show. Maybe I’m a bit naive, but it made me feel that somehow, someway, they do care about their fans and are aware of what we do to see them.

It was a fantastic show. I've seen the Stones three times before, but this was the best. Maybe it was because I had come to appreciate them so much in later years. Whatever the reason, they were flawless.

The next day, getting ready to get home, I realized I’d lost my driver’s license. Most likely at the Hard Rock. Had no other ID. Got to the airport and had to go to one of those “little rooms.” The security guy called Homeland security. They asked me a lot of odd questions – like what make and model car I drove – things like that. But the last was the kicker….”How’d you like the Stones concert?” I said it was amazing. I was free to board the plane.

What a trip!
smoking smiley
p.s. Three days later, some kind soul mailed me my driver’s license. Stones fans are the best.

Re: Your stories from the last tour
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 24, 2014 23:43

Brooklyn and Newark 1 plus a week in NYC.

Rt 66 -> Some National Parks -> a few Stones concerts -> NOLA
[www.iorr.org]

Did Philly 2 Spent the day and night in that great city.

Concerts that I went to were, Pinkpop - Berlin - Paris - Vienna - Dusseldorf - Madrid.

Stepped in 11 countries. England - France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Austria - Switzerland - Hungary - Czech Rep - Slovakia - Spain.

Had a fantastic time bummin' around Europe. So much to see, with so little time. Pinkpop or Berlin were probably my favorite concerts, but I enjoyed them all. Had a 21 day countinous rail pass. Mainly traveled at nite, with a sleeper and spent the day in a city just walking around and eating.

Haven't got my package that I mailed from Madrid yet. But I didn't take many pics there either. I just flew in and out for the concert.

From the London Eye.

How I started my days in Amsterdam.

When I arrived at Waldbuhne.

Went on a bike ride after the concert.

The only free WC in Europe, I think.

Can't wait for South America!!!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 24, 2014 23:45

Fantastic stuff!smoking smiley

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: August 25, 2014 14:11

MingSube Rolling stoned baby.

awesome photo document of your trip

\m/

Date: August 25, 2014 14:54

Rehearsals in Oslo.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 25, 2014 16:13

I desperately wanted to take my family to the second Chicago show in 2013 but I couldn't afford more than the $250 seats. When first they went on sale I could only get one. A few days later I was able to get a second, several sections away from the first. Several weeks later I was able to get two more that weren't anywhere near the others. So, here I was with four tickets in three different, back of the house, nosebleed locations and a wife who'd much prefer our then fifteen and sixteen year old sons not be sitting away from us - or us from each other.

By then I'd read about fans out West getting upgrades and $450 tickets turning into $250 tickets and so on. I emailed everyone I could think of politely asking for four seats together, same price, in exchange for the four I had in the disparate locations. The PR and marketing honchos at the United Center wrote back and said there was nothing they could do. THEN, the box office manager wrote me and simply said "I have four together in the first row of the upper tier, center court. Would those be alright?" I about fainted as these were more than alright. They were as close as you could get in that section and we would have no one in front of us. At the time my wife was recovering from a debilitating illness which made it hard for her to stand for long periods and my younger son was quite short.

I could not believe my luck! I wrote the box office manager and reiterated that I was looking to exchange my tickets not buy four more. He wrote back and said, "Yes, that's right. I'll have these four in your name at will-call and I'll cancel the other four." And he did, simple as that.

We saw arguably the best show of the three nights in Chicago including a scorching "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" (when I saw them set up conga drums near Bernards mark on the stage I knew!).

If I never get to see the Stones again I will always have the memory of seeing them at their modern day apex burning through a set list that could only have been better if they'd played "Around And Around."

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 16:46

Saw them at the I2 in November 2012 (the first concert) the twice at Hyde Park then travelled to Berlin after work. Arrived at Charlottenburg station at 1 30 AM and it was sweltering! Could not quite remember the way to the hotel where I stayed before! But thankfully I remembered a landmark, the er***c superstore and made my way to the hotel. Enjoyed all the concerts but particularly Hyde Park 2 and Berlin. Anyway I want more and cannot wait to see the boys again!hot smiley

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 22:02

the last go around of Stone's gigs from this person's pov:
what can you say. i still constantly think about the two anaheim "honda center" shows. great set list. got to log in two more stones shows. a few songs that i've never seen live before. and probably most important, these were the first Rolling Stones shows that my wife got to witness (and they played her favorite song, Wild Horses on the second night). fantastic.
the ticket situation - upon first reading about the ticket prices, we were not happy and basically hoping to grab the cheapest seats possible at $175 per ticket, or scalp a couple of tickets right before the show. then the $85 tickets were announced and my wife and i decided to try for both anaheim shows with the hopes that we got tickets for one of the shows. we ended up getting tickets for both shows. needless to say i was pretty excited.
both shows we received our tickets at will call and both shows we were handed nose bleed seats. the cool thing was for both shows we ended up getting our seats upgraded: on the floor night 1, and club level on night 2. that was extremely helpful, we we're thrilled about both upgrades, and it really proved to provide two completely different experiences for each show.
comparing to other shows i've seen on other tours:
these shows were absolutely incredible. the band was really tight, concentrated and into the crowd. further, as already mentioned, the song selections were fantastic.
these two shows being #13 and 14 for me took the #1 spots in terms of favorite shows/tours. perhaps it's because the odds of seeing them again are pretty thin, or it is the combination of my description above. regardless, they were amazing.
the previous tours i was fortunate enough to see were great as well. i would have to rank them in this order:
1. licks (5 shows total)
2. no security (first stones shows for me; 2 shows total)
3. ABB (5 shows total)
if my wife and i get the chance to see them again, that is fantastic. if not, i can say that i've seen them 14 times over 4 different tours and 14 years. what else can i say.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: August 25, 2014 22:37

I went to both O2 shows and both in Hyde Park. In their own way each was unique but one show stands out - the first Hyde Park show.

To see the Stones in Hyde Park on a hot summers Saturday was quite surreal. It wasn't the best of the two Hyde Park gigs, the Thursday gig was better. I got a good spot near the front, Keith side. I took my 13 year old daughter who survives on a diet of modern boybands. She didn't want to go but for some reason she always wants to spend time with her old dad - she loves cricket & football thanks to me! Something clicked for her. She's a new recruit into the Stones family. The look of joy on her face when she finally "got" what her dad has been obsessed with for her whole life and many years before that will live with me always. Her bedroom is now covered in Stones posters and she devours everything about the band. She probably listens to the Stones more than I do.

I liken it to, as Keith often comments, passing things on.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 26, 2014 02:38

Our most recent show was in Chicago. Spent the day hopping the el for pre-show festivities at Revolution Brewing then a bus to UC. It was almost gratifying to see the bible thumpers outside praying for our souls as we went in. The show was great with "Shine a Light" in the setlist to add to my list (30 shows starting in '75). After the show we hopped a bus in the rain that took us to The Double Door (site of a previous RS warmup gig) to finish the night off with The Detroit Cobras. Great Friday night all around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-26 02:40 by roryg.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 26, 2014 15:03

MingSubu . great photos and stories. outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 26, 2014 15:21

What do you think of Ronnie's solo in the Oslo rehearsal clip I posted? Too bad the truck came in midways...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2014 20:05

I saw them in the first show in L.A. The drummers with the gorilla masks and the marching band to start the show was actually the best thing about the concert. That and the choir for YCAGWYW.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 26, 2014 21:33

24FPS
I saw them in the first show in L.A. The drummers with the gorilla masks and the marching band to start the show was actually the best thing about the concert. That and the choir for YCAGWYW.

What??confused smiley??
...Better than watching Jack Nicholson walk to his seat?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 26, 2014 22:57

DandelionPowderman
What do you think of Ronnie's solo in the Oslo rehearsal clip I posted? Too bad the truck came in midways...

thumbs up

Date: August 27, 2014 01:16

I probably recorded it 20 minutes before you arrived, Tony grinning smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 27, 2014 01:41

Sounds like I missed myself there, Crawdaddy & DP :-( I didn't arrive in Oslo until the early hours of Saturday so all I caught was the 2nd half of the full concert runout at the Telenor... However, I made up for it with a top spot at the show itself and I got my ticket for Paris from another fan who queued and later stood right next to me at that show...

Great times, perhaps my best ever Stones experience smileys with beer

The memories will stick and London next year sounds like it's on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 27, 2014 02:14

Here's the thread documenting This Stones fan's lucky day. Pretty astonishing stuff.
I met a new friend too...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 27, 2014 02:21

grzegorz67
Sounds like I missed myself there, Crawdaddy & DP :-( I didn't arrive in Oslo until the early hours of Saturday so all I caught was the 2nd half of the full concert runout at the Telenor... However, I made up for it with a top spot at the show itself and I got my ticket for Paris from another fan who queued and later stood right next to me at that show...

Great times, perhaps my best ever Stones experience smileys with beer

The memories will stick and London next year sounds like it's on...

thumbs up

Highlights of the Oslo gig were meeting Bard (DP), Gregor, and so many more fans I had met before,and others for the first time.
The few days in Oslo before the Europe opening gig, and being there at rehearsals,Telenor Arena, Friday night and Saturday ,before the gig.
Of course the show itself was great ,and the first one I seen since Brno in 2007.
I will never forget my first visit to Scandinavia. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 08:28 by crawdaddy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home