Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: question about keiths book LIFE?
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 23, 2014 03:57

A good read. Wish there was more flesh to the story during some of the time periods.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 23, 2014 08:35

It's fundamentally dishonest.
A land grab of the Stones genius.
An ode to a fictitious version of history and himself.
And apparently the deteriotion of his hands never caused him one sleepless night or even merits a mention.
Keith reveals himself as the supreme narcissist. And a nasty one at that.
If you want your illusions shattered read this book.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 23, 2014 09:01

You said it well, Joe.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 23, 2014 09:19

I think the key to this book is that he used the discussions with someone he trusted to sort out a version of his life in his head that he could live with - what ended up on the page is less important to him.

What is also interesting is what he didn't say - it's surprisingly NON -revelatory about individuals - for all the fuss.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 23, 2014 09:28

Rolling Hansie
rebelrebel
TheGreek
i thought the book was well written and found it very intresting

Yeah, me too. I'm glad at least one other person thinks so.

You can make that two other persons smiling smiley

Make it 3 .hot smileytongue sticking out smiley

Jeroen

Date: August 23, 2014 09:36

My illusions weren't shattered, vertigojoe, because I didn't think he was that illusion in the first place.

There weren't many things in the book that shocked me.

I might have taken it for granted that most of the posters here knew as much as me about the man, when it comes to both favourable and less flattering things.

Apparently not, as I thought many made a storm in a teacup of some things when the book came out.

The worst thing is not Todgergate, though. Why aren't people talking more of the reckless shooting in Chicago?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-23 11:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 23, 2014 11:17

EJM

sort out a version of his life in his head that he could live with -

...Maybe that's why he called it "LIFE" (and not, as originally suggested to him, according to the story behind it that is, "My Life" );

'cause isn't that EXACTLY what we ALL do?

People's own minds ARE 100% delusional.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 23, 2014 12:05

Naturalust
Hard to understand why people are not liking this book.

Easy. There is always someone who has to nag about something smiling smiley
And then of course there is the difference in taste.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: August 23, 2014 12:16

corriecas
Rolling Hansie
rebelrebel
TheGreek

Jeroen

I also liked the book. It is a good read, and some important details are likely to be true (e.g. I do believe that music is the most important thing in Keith's life).

Date: August 23, 2014 12:19

Remember that this book has won several prizes, so we're far from alone smileys with beer

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 23, 2014 16:25

I loved the book. In many ways, it was my reintroduction to the Stones and for that reason alone will always be very special to me. I think a lot of the criticism it gets here is based on some notion of Keith that people had carried around with them and they felt the book betrayed that ideal. Others say it's boring, fair enough. Everyone has there own taste. I was kind of bored with Neil Young's book, and I love the guy. What bothers me is the self-righteous tone that some posters take when they criticize the book. You try putting your life out there for the whole world to see. Could he have been more honest about some things? Sure, but I think he deserves credit for showing the good, the bad, and the ugly side of Keith Richards.

There were many parts of the book that are very good, particularly where he writes about music and his early life. There are certainly some parts that are tedious, (thank you treacles), and some that border on grandiose. As some have pointed out, I imagine parts of it would be quite different now. It was a flawed book written by a flawed man who was in the midst of many life changing events when he sat down to reflect on his life. Still, it is an important document for anyone who loves the band or rock music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 23, 2014 16:28

stonesrule
You said it well, Joe.

yes...wow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 23, 2014 17:07

Latebloomer said it well - wow! :E

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 23, 2014 17:11

Keith has never been shy about doing interviews and as an ardent fan I read them all. "LIFE" just seemed like a rehash.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 23, 2014 17:19

rbk
Keith has never been shy about doing interviews and as an ardent fan I read them all. "LIFE" just seemed like a rehash.

It's good to read here...it's good to read anywhere.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 23, 2014 18:17

Rolling Hansie
Naturalust
Hard to understand why people are not liking this book.

Easy. There is always someone who has to nag about something smiling smiley
And then of course there is the difference in taste.

Because, like some of their albums, it's just not very good? It has some interesting things in it but part of it is difficult to believe or take seriously.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 23, 2014 18:36

latebloomer
I loved the book. In many ways, it was my reintroduction to the Stones and for that reason alone will always be very special to me. I think a lot of the criticism it gets here is based on some notion of Keith that people had carried around with them and they felt the book betrayed that ideal. Others say it's boring, fair enough. Everyone has there own taste. I was kind of bored with Neil Young's book, and I love the guy. What bothers me is the self-righteous tone that some posters take when they criticize the book. You try putting your life out there for the whole world to see. Could he have been more honest about some things? Sure, but I think he deserves credit for showing the good, the bad, and the ugly side of Keith Richards.

There were many parts of the book that are very good, particularly where he writes about music and his early life. There are certainly some parts that are tedious, (thank you treacles), and some that border on grandiose. As some have pointed out, I imagine parts of it would be quite different now. It was a flawed book written by a flawed man who was in the midst of many life changing events when he sat down to reflect on his life. Still, it is an important document for anyone who loves the band or rock music.

Date: August 23, 2014 19:03

latebloomer said it best. Wonderful thumbs up

Date: August 23, 2014 19:05

rbk

Exactly (not totally, though). Still, people get disappointed or surprised smiling smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 23, 2014 20:21

Believe it or not, I found it an easy, fast read but the thing I found most bothersome was Keith's need to proclaim himself this kind of tough guy-pirate-thug and to make it sound glamorous to pound the drugs like he did. Carrying the gun while traveling through the South would get him killed today!
His need to become this made-up character is disturbing and childish. The stuff about the music and tours I enjoyed.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2014 20:59

The thing we're forgetting is that the book was a huge mainstream commercial success. It got good reviews and sold very well (ahem, unlike any recent studio album by the Rolling Stones). So, the author(s) did something right...As a reliable insight into Keith's creative process and thinking, and as a document for Rolling Stones fans, it's of pretty limited use. Also, as has been mentioned, there is the inevitable "show me the blade" side of Keith's personality, which many of us saw through years ago, so that aspect is tiresome. The weakness for me is that when reading it, I could actually imagine James Fox transcribing taped monologues from Keith and pasting them together.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 23, 2014 21:11

DandelionPowderman
My illusions weren't shattered, vertigojoe, because I didn't think he was that illusion in the first place.

There weren't many things in the book that shocked me.

I might have taken it for granted that most of the posters here knew as much as me about the man, when it comes to both favourable and less flattering things.

Apparently not, as I thought many made a storm in a teacup of some things when the book came out.

Well said, Dandy - you got it (made) :E

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: August 23, 2014 21:21

"The weakness for me is that when reading it, I could actually imagine James Fox transcribing taped monologues from Keith and pasting them together."

For me, this was a strength - at times I could hear Keith talking, which is preferable to Keith's writing...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2014 21:30

MartinB
"The weakness for me is that when reading it, I could actually imagine James Fox transcribing taped monologues from Keith and pasting them together."

For me, this was a strength - at times I could hear Keith talking, which is preferable to Keith's writing...

My take was that when you can see the editor's hand, it is a less authentic experience. This was my point, not that I didn't want to hear Keith talking.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 24, 2014 00:21

MartinB
corriecas
Rolling Hansie
rebelrebel
TheGreek

Jeroen

I also liked the book. It is a good read, and some important details are likely to be true (e.g. I do believe that music is the most important thing in Keith's life).

I adored this book. I thought it was extremely well-written, funny, and did a great job at capturing the times, the lingo and the escapades of Keith. I've read many rock memoirs and this stands out as one of the best. I've also read almost everything I can find written about the Stones (still looking for more titles - so please feel free to share)...Life is definitely be on my top 5 list. It was one of the best. (BTW, for a guy like Clapton who I deeply admire as a fantastic musician, his voice was humorless at best & sanctimonious at worst.

Long live LIFE!
smoking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 24, 2014 00:27

''Time, I reckon, to move on.''......I'm almost done with Townshend's book....just as good I think.

Date: August 24, 2014 00:36

Rip This
''Time, I reckon, to move on.''......I'm almost done with Townshend's book....just as good I think.

Agreed - Pete's book is fantastic.smoking smiley

Date: August 24, 2014 01:07

ok its picking up momentum a bit

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 24, 2014 01:51

keefriffhard4life

Let us know when you get to the next chapter.

Date: August 24, 2014 02:41

latebloomer
keefriffhard4life

Let us know when you get to the next chapter.
winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home