Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones - "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be"
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 22, 2014 03:50

Listening to this on U-toob. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but here goes anyway. Does anyone else find this boot more dynamic than "Ya-Ya's"? There's an edge I find missing from the official release. The guitars seem sweeter and edgier, and there's an overall vibe to this that's hard to describe. The best way I can put it is its the Stones peaking and a drugginess feel to it all, like we're all taking it in and heading off for the cloud. Anyone else ever listen to this and get the same groove from it? And, BTW, play this baby loud when you find it.

Re: The Rolling Stones - "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be"
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: August 22, 2014 04:30

Very Good - but Ya's Ya's is another story - Stones on all cyclinders

Case in Point - Symp for the Devil - one of the best live tunes of all TIME!!!!!!!!

MLC

Date: August 22, 2014 05:34

LIVE'R was one of the first (commercially available) bootlegs (even reviewed in Rolling Stone), and the Stones apparently saw the profit to be made, so they released their own official album. Of course, they had the technology to edit (and 'improve') it (like re-recording instruments) to polish it off and sell it to the public. I agree, though. I personally like Ya-Ya's on vinyl, never listened to LIVE'R. I should listen to it, though, since it's the Stones in their raw, live glory.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 22, 2014 06:59

I don't understand the attraction for Live'r. It's a shitty recording and they don't play that great.

Posted by: lippmann ()
Date: August 22, 2014 09:43

ha, ha,
only hear "i`m free" from that record, grateful dead meets rolling stones, there so many beautiful moments on this vinyl,and i mean the old vinyl,not the countless cd editions( with the whole show)
the liver record is the perfect example for a great bootleg, because of the editing and the overall recording (sounding somewhat cloudy, over the things, listen to charlies drums, like a call in a dungeon)
i heard that record first in the mid seventies and after that, i was in a spell, think this is my most played stones record ever.
can ye heaar thaat. greetings gerhard

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2014 10:07

....first boot I ever owned ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: August 22, 2014 10:32

24FPS
I don't understand the attraction for Live'r. It's a shitty recording and they don't play that great.
Dead Flowers is one of my favorites with MT

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 22, 2014 11:31

24FPS

I think it has to be for it being the first or 'original', its reputation coined with that, and probably being still the most not circulated but actually sold bootleg of theirs (not sure about the latter though; I guess at least BRUSSELS AFFAIR in its many reincarnations might have challenged it.)

I bought LIVE'R after I had YA'YA'S, BRUSSELS AFFAIR, LA FORUM, and some other high-standard bootlegs, so it didn't made a huge impact on me. Actually I was a bit disappointed knowing its reputation. Now to think of that, I haven't listened it for ages...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-22 11:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 22, 2014 12:01

24FPS

YEAH! Last century I bought the TSP version on CD : you could fill the room with my disappointment. confused smiley
Otoh the CD from Detroit'69, while poorer sonically, made my titties hard.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 22, 2014 12:17

Detroit is my favorite 69 gig,,along with 1st New york.

Date: August 22, 2014 14:05

Love that boot, and I love the other show where they blew the amps, "Bring It Back Aliver" thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 22, 2014 21:12

What I have got, is a copy of LIVER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE, which is called something like "Live: In Again, Out Again", even if it has got the LIVER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE sleeve. I, who have not that many bootlegs, have owned that bootleg since approximately 1970.

It does not have the production of GET YER YA-YAS OUT. However, the version of "Midnight Rambler" is attractively rawer, the arrangement of "Sympathy for the Devil" is much more interesting, and the feeling of "Love in Vain", both vocals and guitar solo, does give the song a heartfelt impact of more than music only. When are Rolling Stones better than when that can be said?

Apart from that, this bootleg has its imperfections as to the rest of its contents, probably, and I probably have correctly to state that is not greater than GET YER YA-YAS OUT. All the same, it almost always gives me more. At the mentionned songs, much more.

Edit: Addition of a word that had fallen out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-24 15:55 by Witness.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: August 22, 2014 22:56

My first boot. Back in the mid 70's my buddy had a hip older brother. When he heard we were into the Stones he gave us is original "Pot Boiler" in a plain brown sleeve. Were like sponges looking for more Stones material. It wasn't like today and the internet. We had to prowl old hippie record stores and ads in the back of Rolling Stone for a wiff of boots.

I appreciate "liver" for what it is. A document of the Stones honing their craft. I love the "Gimme Shelter" and banter about echo.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 22, 2014 23:15

"Liver Than You'll Ever Be" was one of the first Stones bootlegs I bought through mail order in the mid '70s...it was on the "Lurch" record label and said "The Greatest Group on Earth" I thought the sound quality was good for an audience recording. "Stoneaged" San Diego '69 was good as well (I think it was the same taper).

Date: August 23, 2014 00:04

Semi-OT but what's the best CD source for this show? VGP-276?
[dbboots.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2014 01:48

24FPS

Agree. When I finally got to hear it I wondered what all the fuss is about. Nice version of "I'm Free" though.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 23, 2014 02:31

My first Stones boot too and I LOVE it. I think I love it more than YaYa's! I bought it at a head shop in 1970 and played it until I wore it out!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 23, 2014 03:29

24FPS

When I think of Liv'r today I think of the Tarantura release which was sourced from the original tapes and is both shows, complete. To quibble about the sound quality is to miss the point. Not only are these shows interesting and historic in their own right, they are part of a tapestry of recordings that document an historic moment in the band's history. To follow the band from the Forum, to Oakland, to San Diego, to Detroit, to Baltimore to New York City, to Boston, to Altamont is to witness the real deal right before your ears. The equipment problems, the travel problems, the integration of a new lead guitarist, the performance of songs never heard before, the variations in song arrangements, the boldness of the band's vision in what it plays...it's all there. Come hell or high water the band forged on from west to east. Musically and otherwise the band was never sexier, Jagger more affable and Keith playing the music the way he was born to play it. It is an amazing recording not only for its content and quality, but that it exists at all.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-23 03:31 by pmk251.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 23, 2014 03:49

Tarantula (despite their claims of how much time and effort they spent) lifted the LIVER disc directly from the Turd/Sister Morphine Anniversary release..you can tell by the "drop-outs" and Under My Thumb intro repairs done by cool hand being identical on both releases...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 23, 2014 17:21

Live R is awesome. You have to listen to it in the context of the time. Think back when you listen and imagine that it is 1970. They are a dangerous sounding band only Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and the Who ever came close to rivaling this live music.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 23, 2014 17:40

24FPS

I agree...1969 US tour is my fav and I find this show fairly boring.

It is amazing how great the band became from this show to Altamont.
A complete transformation.

Date: August 23, 2014 19:16

slew
Live R is awesome. They are a dangerous sounding band only Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and the Who ever came close to rivaling this live music.

If you only listen to Liver... you'll think (wrongly) that in 69 Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and the Who were FAR ahead of the Stones.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 23, 2014 20:15

I agree with you Slew, and totally disagree DCBA!!! Way off track, the Stones had that real edgy sound, authentic and dark. Not to say that the WHO, Hendrix and Zeppelin were slouches! It's like comparing apples to bananas! Totally different bag. The Stones certainly held their own in this category.

Date: August 23, 2014 20:32

Jagger was more lucid than you folks! >grinning smiley<

"Later, commenting about their American tour, Jagger said, "We didn't really get it on until Detroit!"
[www.rockpaperphoto.com]

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 23, 2014 21:51

2nd boot I ever owned ( right behind the Get Back sessions )--
heard a few cuts very late night on WBCN in Boston and tracked it down at a local shop-- plain white cover, 'Liv-r Than You'll Ever Be' stamped on the cover, and that was it-- what a treat that was-- listened to it over and over again--when Ya-Ya's came out a number of months later it was a little anti-climactic....although in hindsight Ya-Ya's was the one to have

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home