Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 28, 2021 12:41

Ahem... in anticipation of "Springtime In New York" let me refer to this oustanding work by an IORR regular :

[iorr.org]

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 28, 2021 12:59

I am eagerly waiting for a bootleg series release which comprises the World Tour 1978 and sthe STREET LEGAL album They should release concert recordings from Europe (Nuremberg, Zeppelinfeld, Blackbushe Aerodrome, or Paris) if there are decent soundboard recordings. These concerts were far better than the official Budokan album (which I appreciate anywway), and there seem to be outtakees and rehearsals enough.

When the tour went on in the US the concerts IMO got weaker because Dylan obviously lopst interest or got tired. Therefore, Europe was the highlight of the tour which is completely underappreciated. The "pop era" was important for Dylan, although it is great that he did follow it only for one world tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 28, 2021 14:33

saltoftheearth

When the tour went on in the US the concerts IMO got weaker because Dylan obviously lost interest or got tired.

I like the Charlotte gig a lot...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2021 17:14

saltoftheearth
I am eagerly waiting for a bootleg series release which comprises the World Tour 1978 and sthe STREET LEGAL album They should release concert recordings from Europe (Nuremberg, Zeppelinfeld, Blackbushe Aerodrome, or Paris) if there are decent soundboard recordings. These concerts were far better than the official Budokan album (which I appreciate anywway), and there seem to be outtakees and rehearsals enough.

When the tour went on in the US the concerts IMO got weaker because Dylan obviously lopst interest or got tired. Therefore, Europe was the highlight of the tour which is completely underappreciated. The "pop era" was important for Dylan, although it is great that he did follow it only for one world tour.

Same here. I'm probably biased because I went to Blackbushe, but this is amongst my favourite Dylan periods, if not my absolute favourite. The "Pop Era"-tag may apply to the Budokan album (which I like), but doesn't do the later 1978 legs (Europe in particular) justice which belong to the most inspired and heartfelt Dylan performances ever and just beg for an official representation.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 28, 2021 20:38

retired_dog
saltoftheearth

Same here. I'm probably biased because I went to Blackbushe, but this is amongst my favourite Dylan periods, if not my absolute favourite. The "Pop Era"-tag may apply to the Budokan album (which I like), but doesn't do the later 1978 legs (Europe in particular) justice which belong to the most inspired and heartfelt Dylan performances ever and just beg for an official representation.

For your information —

At Budokan was recorded on and compiled from two nights, February 28 and March 1, 1978. They are both decent shows, but neither of them are the best of the tour — the three Osaka shows (February 24-26) and the last two Tokyo shows (March 3-4) are commonly mentioned as the candidates for that rank.

According to Mr. Toshiyuki Sugano, CBS/Sony Japan’s administrator in charge of Dylan, all of the five shows of the second Budokan residency, February 28-March 4, were planned to be recorded, but after finishing the March 1 show, Dylan instructed the staff to stop the further recordings as he was satisfied enough with the performances of the first two nights.

Mr. Sugano also recollected some years later, that Dylan considered recording the Earls Court shows of the UK leg of the European tour and releasing it instead of the Budokan. Again, he scrapped the idea, judging the Tokyo shows were good enough for the worldwide release. Whether the London shows were recorded or not is unclear.

The general consensus of the fandom is that the European and US legs of the 1978 World Tour are better than the Japanese leg, but these episodes may indicate that Dylan himself rates the album and the shows represented there higher than his fans and journalists.

I for one attended the Osaka second night, February 25, and felt the show was very strong.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 29, 2021 12:36

Meanwhile, let's go back to the famous Nuremberg festival, if only in words... from the Website Expectingrain (the concert recording is on youtube, a recording of the Clapton performance obviously has not surfaced although it exists, at least in parts)

Open-Air-Festival at Nuremberg, Zeppelinfeld: Chicken Shack – Vince Weber – Lake – Eric Clapton – Champion Jack Dupree – Bob Dylan

We arrived at Nuremberg at 1:00 p.m. and instantly found the Zeppelinfeld after asking someone once. There were many people waiting at the gates but nevertheless we got in fast. I smuggled the tape recorder in Matthias’ sleeping bag, and although I got rather anxious there was no control. We were looking for a place to stay but the whole area was crammed with people. Therefore we went up to the tribune and sat down on the pedestal where @#$%& had delivered his speeches. Meanwhile the first group had already started to perform, and it took me some time to figure out who they were: it was Chicken Shack who appeared unannounced. They played from 2:45 through 3:45 p.m. At first I was disappointed but then they delivered a strong version of Poor boy. After the usual set change pianist Vince Weber came on stage but he was disappointing. A solo piano player can be brilliant in a hall in front of an audience of 50 to 2,000 people but not with 70,000 in an open air concert. The sound was so dreadful that even the otherwise great Boogie man was a flop. Apart from that he mostly played real bad blues.
The next group ‘Lake’, much praised in the pop magazines, were disappointing as well. I tried to get in front of the stage but it was impossible because of the huge crowd. The sound was very thin and the songs they played were not very well received. I started to get the tape recorder ready. Fortunately I was able to place it on the parapet so I only had to hold the microphones.
After some waiting, finally Eric Clapton appeared. He fully met our expectations. Together with female singer Marcy Levy he performed brilliantly, playing songs like Blues Paradise, Lay down Sally (for the first time the crowd applauded strongly), a country song called Rodeo man, Knocking on heaven’s door (which I had expected from Dylan), Key to the highway with harmonica and before the encore, to another very strong applause, Layla. Marcy’s vocal microphone was completely overdriven so I had trouble to adjust the tape recorder properly. But I appreciated Eric Clapton’s gig more than later Bob Dylan’s. Regrettably Eric Clapton was allowed to play only one encore because time ran out.
Eric Clapton setlist: The core - Worried life blues – Wonderful tonight – Lay down Sally – Rodeo man – Fools paradise – Cocaine – Double trouble – Nobody knows you when you’re down and out – Badge – Knocking on heaven’s door – Key to the highway – Layla – [unknown encore].
At 6:08 p.m. Champion Jack Dupree appeared on stage instead of the previously announced Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee. He appeared to be drunk and played soporific blues numbers together with a stand-up bassist and a guitarist. I still appreciated Wine wine but his version of What’d I say was so terrible that I wondered why the audience (obviously turned on by Eric Clapton) joined in.
Again I prepared the tape recorder. All of a sudden Bob Dylan appeared on stage which looked like the Max Greger big band [a very popular German big band at the time] because of the many musicians. The tape recorder did not work during the first song from the new LP Street Legal because I had inserted the battery the wrong way round. Three female ‘doo-wop’ backing singers improved the sound. Bob Dylan’s vocal microphone was so overdriven that my adjusting displays went into the red area when he sang, and my chest was vibrating. He played almost only his old hits, among others A hard rain’s gonna fall which impressed me very much because he played it solo on the acoustic guitar while the sun went down. Besides that, he played the obligatory Blowin‘ in the wind, All along the watchtower, which besides Like a rolling stone was received best by the audience, and many songs which I did not know. Some of the old hits were alienated, for instance as a reggae. Suddenly, during Just like a woman, Peter seized the tape recorder and ran away. At first I didn’t realize what happened but he told me that security people had appeared. I didn’t know if he was right. In the audience some people were lighting torches, and some even burnt fireworks.

Commentary, January 2017:

The diary entry ends here. Peter was eager to leave the Zeppelinfeld before the end of the concert. Therefore we went out of the area and left Nuremberg well before the others, and behind us we saw the fireworks which closed the concert. But unfortunately I missed my favourite song Forever young and the encore The times they are a’changin’ with Eric Clapton on guitar.
My recordings were pretty good because I had used an Uher tape recorder and Sennheiser stereo microphones which I hung from the parapet. This reduced the audience banter so the sound is rather clear but due to the sound problems mentioned the voices of Marcy Levy and Bob Dylan are overdriven. For the told reasons the recording starts with Dylan’s second song, and you can hear us escaping during Just like a woman. When I went down near the stage I saw another guy recording with a tape recorder and stereo microphones. But according to the Eric Clapton databases a bootleg of his Nuremberg concert has never turned up so I think that my recording is supposed to be one of the few ones in existence. However, one song is interrupted because I had to change the tape reel, and the encore is missing for unknown reasons. For me it is a private aural souvenir. Meanwhile, various Bob Dylan bootlegs have turned up, some of which are better than my recordings. Still, I remember it as a juvenile adventure rather than an attempt to ‘steal’ the music.
Today I remember the concert as a highlight of my youth, I remember Dylan’s performance much stronger than back then, and to this day I really like the Budokan album as an aural souvenir of the 1978 tour. For me, it stands alongside Before the flood, even though Bob Dylan fans might consider that a heresy. But I find it fascinating to listen to certain songs in two completely deifferernt arrangement. However, I hope that Bob Dylan will release the Nuremberg recording if he has a soundboard recording.

This text was translated from the diary of Eberhard Fritz and may not be reproduced or cited without mentioning his name. It represents his individual view from 1978 when he was 20.
Copyright (German text) 1978 by Eberhard Fritz
Copyright (English translation) 2017 by Eberhard Fritz
This report is dedicated to the femory of Fritz Rau, the gentle organizer of the Nuremberg festival. It may be reproduced fornon-commercial purposes provided that the author's name is mentioned.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 1, 2021 22:21

Just watched Shadow Kingdom. How cool. Dylan did fine singing and his band was superb. The black and white photography was an excellent way to present this. What was also great was his revamping the arrangement on some of the songs. What a way to up your songs and game and your audiences expectations. Made me think about how the Stones could rework some of their songs and up their game and ours.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:33

Sam Richards speaks with Jonathan Donahue
and Grasshopper of Mercury Rev ......

UNCUT 292 ----- September 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2021 11:41

MOJO 334 ---- September 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 17, 2021 00:04

Given the news source where this came from, I am hoping this is a just a bunch of bullshit with no merit....

Bob Dylan accused of drugging, sexually abusing 12-year-old girl in 1965.

The victim brought allegations of assault, battery, false imprisonment and infliction of emotional distress against Dylan. She is seeking unspecified damages and a jury trial.

[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 00:12 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 17, 2021 03:46

If you're going to make up a story about someone , a bit of research wouldnt go amiss. Its not as if his whereabouts around that time were a big secret

[www.showbiz411.com]

Date: August 17, 2021 04:43

murdoch hit piece

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 17, 2021 04:48

Gazza
If you're going to make up a story about someone , a bit of research wouldnt go amiss. Its not as if his whereabouts around that time were a big secret

[www.showbiz411.com]
Thanks for this update. It smelled rotten from the get go!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 17, 2021 06:36

highgatehillbilly
murdoch hit piece

The Murdochs would never do a thing like that.

My immediate thought was someone was trying to get rich at the expense of Bob Dylan after 56 years.

Date: August 17, 2021 06:45

YEAH funny that how they
always go for the guys with $$$$$$$$ ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 17, 2021 07:12

>The Murdochs would never do a thing like that.

Said with large amount of tongue in cheek. Because, well, you know, of course they would, if they thought it would sell newspapers or their modern equivalent.

jb

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 17, 2021 10:20

Once again some nutty female wanting to make a quick buck and attempt to destroy an artist’s career.It’s about time the law was changed and the identity of the so called abuser was kept unknown until the case was proven.The woman in this case has not even been identified.When it’s disproved she should be put in a jail and the key thrown away.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 17, 2021 15:17

She deserves to be heard, but he also deserves to be presumed innocent unless this is proved. Many people on social media nowadays just assume accused=guilty.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: August 17, 2021 17:03

Tell me that it isn't true

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 17, 2021 17:24

stargroover
Once again some nutty female wanting to make a quick buck and attempt to destroy an artist’s career.It’s about time the law was changed and the identity of the so called abuser was kept unknown until the case was proven.The woman in this case has not even been identified.When it’s disproved she should be put in a jail and the key thrown away.

Signed.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 17, 2021 18:32

I wonder how many more ex-groupies will jump on that train
to bankroll their own twighlight years or the lives of their grandchildren.

My deepest disrespect for people who come up with stories like that more
than half a century late.
When you have something to complain or think you have to accuse someone
for whatever then do it immediately or shut up for the rest of your life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 18:41 by Phil Good.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 17, 2021 19:00

one interesting aspect of these allegations is that Bob Dylan hardly spend any time (or even no time at all) in NYC in the time period mentioned in these allegations.
April 9th, 1965 he played Vancouver and on April 24th Seattle. Most likely there were other shows in between. It's rather unlikely that he flew to NYC in between these shows
From April 26th to May 10th, 1965 he was touring England, after that he was on vacation in Europe, on Juni 1st he recorded for the BBC and on June 2nd he left England, see: [www.bjorner.com]

(That doesn't mean that these allegations are false but it indicates that the lawyer did lousy job in not cross checking the dates)

Date: August 17, 2021 19:27

The period in question is probably the most scrutinized of his career. Dozens of books and probably thousands of articles along with Pennebaker’s documentary.

Kinda difficult to believe what is alleged could have slipped through the cracks either undetected or wilfully ignored by all those who were around the man at that very public time of his life.

That, and at least one of the lawyers involved in this claim has a dubious background according to what I have read about him on another site this morning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 19:29 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 17, 2021 19:50

JimmyTheSaint
The period in question is probably the most scrutinized of his career. Dozens of books and probably thousands of articles along with Pennebaker’s documentary.

Kinda difficult to believe what is alleged could have slipped through the cracks either undetected or wilfully ignored by all those who were around the man at that very public time of his life.

That, and at least one of the lawyers involved in this claim has a dubious background according to what I have read about him on another site this morning.

Exactly. I mean if someone said 'April- May 1967' or 'April-May 1968' which were periods when Dylan pretty much disappeared from public view to Woodstock, you could make a case, but this period has been documented at great length. he was in England from 26 April to 2 June and most of his North American shows in April were on the west coast. He'd just shacked up with Sara around that time too, and I'm pretty sure she wasnt 12.

[www.bjorner.com]
[www.bjorner.com]

Date: August 17, 2021 23:42

Heylin Weighs In

“It’s not possible. Dylan was touring England during that time, and was in Los Angeles for two of those weeks, plus a day or two at Woodstock,” in upstate New York, Heylin told HuffPost. “The tour was 10 days, but Bob flew into London on April 26 and arrived back in New York on June 3.”

“If Dylan was in New York in mid-April, it was for no more than a day or two,” he added. “Woodstock was where he spent most of his time when not touring. And if he was in NYC, he invariably stayed at his manager’s apartment in Gramercy, not the Chelsea.”

Heylin also said the singer didn’t start living at the Chelsea Hotel until autumn of that year.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 17, 2021 23:51

Is there no statue of limitation in US law? I mean, to come up with an accusation after 56 years have passed...

Date: August 18, 2021 00:37

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 18 August 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: August 18, 2021 15:40

Still not a word of these allegations in the New York Times, print or digital.

The NY Times legal beat would likely know plenty about the two lawyers involved on behalf of the plaintiff and I'm guessing that based on the sordid pasts of both attorneys the editors are skeptical about what has been alleged.

As suggested earlier, this was a very active and highly scrutinized period of Dylan's public life. There are details suggested in the claim that are incongruent with the public record of Dylan's life.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 18, 2021 15:47

In most countries there is a statue of limitation, usually about ten years (with certain exceptions). So it wouldn't be possible to accuse someone for what they did in the sixties, 56 years ago.
Apparently that doesn't exist in the USA? If someone stole your watch in 1965 you can still take him to court in 2021?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 18, 2021 15:55

Stoneage
Is there no statue of limitation in US law? I mean, to come up with an accusation after 56 years have passed...

There is no US law, there are 50 sets of laws.

In New York, there was a special law enacted a few years ago suspending the statutes of limitations for cases of child sexual abuse and providing a window for filing such cases.

Many many cases have been filed against organizations such as the boy scouts and the catholic church (and other religious groups) since this was opened up a few years ago.

The window closed August 14. This case was filed at literally the last second. I don't know the lawyer, haven't heard of him, but knowing many in NY and being one, I'm guessing he's pretty much a scumbag who convinced some Greenwich matron that Dylan diddled her in 1965. She just remembered a week before his chance for a big score would evaporate. Ok.

Just my, uninformed, opinion.

(The law, incidentally and ironically, was trumpeted by the recently deposed Saint Andrew).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-18 16:16 by Rokyfan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home