Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...102103104105106107108109110111112...LastNext
Current Page: 107 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 20, 2022 14:41

slewan
dcba
GasLightStreet
Saw Dylan at the (sold out) Saenger in New Orleans.
Awesome show.
Zero hits. Zero familiar songs.
If only the Stones would do such a thing.

They kinda did. In 2002-03 when they played clubs. Okay the final 5 numbers were hits.
Except for the club shows the licks tour was mostly another greatest hits tour, see: [www.setlist.fm]

The setlists were changing nightly though. The arena shows had album themed nights. I saw a SF night & a LIB night on the tour. That concept faded some as the tour progressed. For me that was the last great tour. That's not to say subsequent tours were bad but the norm has been the warhorse show since then.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 20, 2022 14:48

slewan

Except for the club shows the licks tour was mostly another greatest hits tour,

I tend to disagree. I saw them in 03 in an arena and we got "If You Can't..." "Thru And Thru" and "Mannish Boy".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 20, 2022 20:13

slewan
GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

He walked on stage at 8, left at 9:34 without a word.

Zero hits. Zero familiar songs. I didn't recognize one song! Fantastic show!

Heard people bitching in the elevator back to the parking garage that he didn't play any hits.

yeah, but Dylan has a new album and, as you might have noticed, he played every song from that album (except for one) at every show right now

If only the Stones had a new album, but even if they did they wouldn't play it in it's entirety - maybe two or three at most.
If only the Stones would do what Dylan is doing...

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 20, 2022 22:19

Hmmm...not sure I would like it. Yes, more variety would be great but to not recognise a singke song...

Posted by: steadyrollinman ()
Date: March 20, 2022 22:43

Hairball

It's two different things entirely.

Dylan is playing small theatres to 2,000-3,000 people, of which 80%-90% know exactly to expect and appreciate what he is doing. Mind you, there are still front row tickets available for tomorrow's performance.

The Stones play to 50,000-100,000 people. Should they do what Dylan does, the chances are that 2,000 or 3,000 fans would enjoy the show immensely while the rest would probably feel let down.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 20, 2022 22:56

steadyrollinman
Hairball

Dylan is playing small theatres to 2,000-3,000 people, of which 80%-90% know exactly to expect and appreciate what he is doing. Mind you, there are still front row tickets available for tomorrow's performance.

The Stones play to 50,000-100,000 people. Should they do what Dylan does, the chances are that 2,000 or 3,000 fans would enjoy the show immensely while the rest would probably feel let down.

not if they were doing 70-80 shows every year like Dylan usually does

Date: March 20, 2022 23:07

slewan
steadyrollinman
Hairball

not if they were doing 70-80 shows every year like Dylan usually does

But they don't. They do 14-20 shows each tour and they don't even tour every year like Dylan. I don't think the Stones would like to swap places with Dylan or vice versa. Both acts are good at what they do, it's just fans who have to adjust their expectations. Some Dylan "fans" still believe they will see him go on stage with an acoustic guitar and play a solo set.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 20, 2022 23:24

GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

Heard people bitching in the elevator back to the parking garage that he didn't play any hits.

Any self-respecting Bob Dylan fan would know at least 7 songs (the ones not on the new album or the Sinatra cover). Zero familiar songs? You’re not a Bob Dylan fan. Gimme a break!

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 21, 2022 00:17

I went to a Bob Dylan concert and didnt recognize All Along the Watchtower until he sang the title

Date: March 21, 2022 00:20

steadyrollinman
Hairball

And one of the biggest differences is Dylan has a new album while the Stones do not.
I pointed that out in my original post, but you edited it out for whatever reason.

Date: March 21, 2022 01:24

Hairball
steadyrollinman
Hairball

And one of the biggest differences is Dylan has a new album while the Stones do not.
I pointed that out in my original post, but you edited it out for whatever reason.

I just cut that out so people wouldn't have to go through all the quotes again. I wasn't trying to make a point or to say that you were wrong or anything. People these days think that everyone on the internet is attacking them. What I was trying to express is that, in my opinion, these two artists play for a different audience. Paul McCartney couldn't do what Dylan does. Bruce Springsteen couldn't do it, not even when he had his residency on Broadway. And that's alright.

And the fact that Dylan has a new album out doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

Date: March 21, 2022 01:44

steadyrollinman
Hairball
steadyrollinman
Hairball

I just cut that out so people wouldn't have to go through all the quotes again. I wasn't trying to make a point or to say that you were wrong or anything. People these days think that everyone on the internet is attacking them. What I was trying to express is that, in my opinion, these two artists play for a different audience. Paul McCartney couldn't do what Dylan does. Bruce Springsteen couldn't do it, not even when he had his residency on Broadway. And that's alright.

And the fact that Dylan has a new album out doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

They all could do what Dylan does, but they choose not to.
And they all have new albums - except the Stones.

Date: March 21, 2022 01:49

Hairball
steadyrollinman
Hairball
steadyrollinman
Hairball

They all could do what Dylan does, but they choose not to.
And they all have new albums - except the Stones.

OK, you are right. thumbs up

Date: March 21, 2022 02:02

NilsHolgersson
I went to a Bob Dylan concert and didnt recognize All Along the Watchtower until he sang the title

I understand that, for sure. But, at that point, you knew the song. People who know zero songs at his current shows, are not true fans. Just look at the setlist: When I Paint My Masterpiece, You Gotta Serve Somebody, To Be Alone With You, Most Likely You Go Your Way And I’ll Go Mine, Watching The River Flow, and I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight are well-known by Dylan enthusiasts.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 21, 2022 04:47

steadyrollinman
Hairball

That quote of Hairball is mine, actually.

The thing is, which has been discussed here over the years, is that the Stones have such a deep catalog they could play... but they don't, it's just basically HOT ROCKS/REWIND at this point, because of what they and people think.

Get beyond the scratch and it would most likely be amazing.

Dylan is just doing it regardless of what people think and, like what U2 did in 1992-93, it's fantastic.

Date: March 21, 2022 04:50

Actually it was my quote, but I was echoing what you were saying.

Date: March 21, 2022 05:04

Hairball

Ouch!

My bad!

Just looked at what I said!

Sorry.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 21, 2022 10:45

GasLightStreet
steadyrollinman
Hairball

Dylan is just doing it regardless of what people think and, like what U2 did in 1992-93, it's fantastic.

U2 did a bold move in 1992 when starting the shows with 8 new songs in a row before they played Angel of Harlem and quite a bunch of well-known songs, thus omitting hits like "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Years Day" and all of their earlier material (e.g. crowd pleasers/staples like "I will follow").
The encore included two more new songs, so that in the first months of the tour, ten songs from their then new album "Achtung Baby" were performed.

On their 2018 tour, they did no song from "The Joshua Tree". It can be done.

Date: March 21, 2022 13:20

GasLightStreet
steadyrollinman
Hairball

That quote of Hairball is mine, actually.

The thing is, which has been discussed here over the years, is that the Stones have such a deep catalog they could play... but they don't, it's just basically HOT ROCKS/REWIND at this point, because of what they and people think.

Get beyond the scratch and it would most likely be amazing.

The Stones could do something like that if they were willing to lose some of their audience. I believe it is easier to compare their set with Paul McCartney's, but Paul plays almost 40 songs each concert, which allows him to throw in a few more obscure choices every now and then.

What Dylan does is something completely different. He is still creating night after night. He changes the arrangements, the lyrics, the phrasing. Even if the setlist is the same, you will get a different performance from one night to another. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so, but the result is always interesting if you care to listen closely to the music.

To some extent, the Stones did this with the Blue & Lonesome album. They were doing what they wanted to do, not what people expected from them. But it's hard to please one hundred thousand people every time you go up on a stage.

Date: March 21, 2022 17:25

The crowd may not be happy, but, they'd barely sacrifice ANY money if they played only deep cuts. Most of the tickets have already been sold. No one knows the setlist until the first show. Right?

Date: March 21, 2022 18:36

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

Any self-respecting Bob Dylan fan would know at least 7 songs (the ones not on the new album or the Sinatra cover). Zero familiar songs? You’re not a Bob Dylan fan. Gimme a break!

[www.setlist.fm]

Cognition is required when reading.

I said I didn't recognize one song. Zero familiar songs meaning the songs people expect to hear. I figured out a few of the songs as they progressed. I am a fan, just not a big fan.

I saw him in 1998 and it was the same thing only with more familiar songs ie hits and or popular album cuts. For example, it wasn't until the end of Tangled Up In Blue that I figured out it was that song. Because he changes them so much so often. Your criticism is flat. Anyone that goes to see Bob Dylan should expect the songs to sound not like one knows them.

Date: March 21, 2022 18:48

GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

[www.setlist.fm]

I said I didn't recognize one song. Zero familiar songs meaning the songs people expect to hear. I figured out a few of the songs as they progressed. I am a fan, just not a big fan.

I saw him in 1998 and it was the same thing only with more familiar songs ie hits and or popular album cuts. For example, it wasn't until the end of Tangled Up In Blue that I figured out it was that song. Because he changes them so much so often. Your criticism is flat. Anyone that goes to see Bob Dylan should expect the songs to sound not like one knows them.

Being unfamiliar with a song doesn't mean you don't know it? That's laughable. And, if you saw him before, you should know what to expect.

Date: March 21, 2022 18:49

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Ouch!

My bad!

Sorry.

Cognition is required when reading. Haha! Where have I heard that before?

Date: March 21, 2022 18:56

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
Hairball

Ouch!

My bad!

Sorry.

Cognition is required when reading. Haha! Where have I heard that before?

Ah, good one. However, at least it was in context. Nice try.

Date: March 21, 2022 19:01

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

[www.setlist.fm]

Being unfamiliar with a song doesn't mean you don't know it? That's laughable. And, if you saw him before, you should know what to expect.

You're just a know it all, eh?

unfamiliar:
not known or recognized

There. It's highlighted in bold for you to understand.

And, just like I stated, he changes his songs. Just because I saw him in 1998 did not mean he played the songs the same way as he did in 1998. How would I know what to expect when I haven't seen this tour until the other night?

Get over yerself. I'm not the only one that's seen him and didn't know what the hell he was playing until he said the title. Have you been to a Dylan show? Doesn't seem like it. He's not exactly understandable.

Date: March 21, 2022 19:08

GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

[www.setlist.fm]

unfamiliar:
not known or recognized

And, just like I stated, he changes his songs. Just because I saw him in 1998 did not mean he played the songs the same way as he did in 1998. How would I know what to expect when I haven't seen this tour until the other night?

Get over yerself. I'm not the only one that's seen him and didn't know what the hell he was playing until he said the title. Have you been to a Dylan show? Doesn't seem like it. He's not exactly understandable.

Love you big guy! Look at the part you didn't highlight "not known." We're both right. Let's move on. Yes, I've seen him at least 5 times. The songs are almost impossible to discern initially, but you have heard of some of those songs, that's all I was saying. He plays songs that real fans know, even if they sound different. Come see him at The Ryman Wednesday and I'll buy you a beer. smileys with beer

Date: March 21, 2022 19:27

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet

Awesome show.

[www.setlist.fm]

unfamiliar:
not known or recognized

Love you big guy! Look at the part you didn't highlight "not known." We're both right. Let's move on. Yes, I've seen him at least 5 times. The songs are almost impossible to discern initially, but you have heard of some of those songs, that's all I was saying. He plays songs that real fans know, even if they sound different. Come see him at The Ryman Wednesday and I'll buy you a beer. smileys with beer

LOL alright. I knew some of the new songs from listening to ROUGH AND ROWDY WAYS a little bit but they hadn't exactly settled in like older material has, which I also didn't recognize, what little he played that was older.

Charley Drayton was fantastic on drums. The band was phenomenal.

Date: March 21, 2022 19:39

Thanks GLS. His band has always been elite when I've seen him. The new album is probably my favorite of his since at least 2000, maybe 1997. I'm looking forward to it!

Date: March 21, 2022 19:46

If you liked the last album, you'll love to hear the new songs live:

[www.youtube.com]

The Shadow Kingdom arrangements are superb as well.

Date: March 21, 2022 20:29

steadyrollinman
If you liked the last album, you'll love to hear the new songs live:

[www.youtube.com]

The Shadow Kingdom arrangements are superb as well.

Thanks!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...102103104105106107108109110111112...LastNext
Current Page: 107 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1964
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home