Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...112113114115116117118119120121122...LastNext
Current Page: 117 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 29, 2023 08:49

I picked up the Box set yesterday and have listened to the first 4 songs on the remix CD since I am in the middle of a custody case regarding my baby girl.
Not Dark Yet will come up fittingly tonite, hopefully for the better...

An amazing listen so far I must say, I do have issues with Lanois' "veiled" production even though of course it serves the songs brilliantly on the original version.
Somehow the raw, more direct sound that Dylan reached for is the best for me. I wonder how Lanois'"sexy" Mississippi would have sounded like....?

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: January 29, 2023 16:08

Anyone else disappointed by the quality of the vinyl (substantially bent)?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: February 9, 2023 06:03

Japan tour April confirmed:

[www.bobdylan.com]

[www.livenation.co.jp]

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: February 10, 2023 18:59

All Shows in Japan

Ticket Prices: $388.83 (Gold), $274.47 (box seating), $198.23 (S seats), $160.10 (A seats)

Date: February 25, 2023 16:20

A memorial/memoir

I attended my first Bob Dylan concert 45 years ago today, Saturday, 25 February, 1978. That was the second night of the three Osaka shows during his first Japan tour. FYR the other shows were unprecedented eight Budokan dates (of them, the last show, 4 March, was a later addition. The official At Budokan double live album was recorded on 28 February and 1 March), and Osaka was the only regional destination of the tour outside Tokyo. The venue was Matsushita Denki Taiikukan (the tag, “Matsushita Electric Industrial Gymnasium”, was used in English description), which was later renamed Panasonic Arena. The capacity is approximately 6,000, more or less. AFAIK It has rarely, possibly never, been used before or since for the concert purpose except for these 1978 Dylan shows for some reason beyond me.

I was sitting on the 7th or 8th row on the floor seat, near the centre. Two things I remember among others are; 1. Dylan put on make-up, his face covered in white foundation — the ghost of the glam rock past perhaps? Somehow reminiscent of Mick in the mid-70s. 2. He only played an electric guitar (Stratocaster) — he never picked up an acoustic guitar.

The show lasted about 2 hours and 30 minutes, including a 15-20 minute intermission in the middle. Going, Going, Gone closed the first set. One of the highlights was that Dylan, to the request from the floor, a voice raised somewhere not far from me, launched into an impromptu, most likely unrehearsed, version of One Too Many Mornings, which would end up as the sole performance of the song not only in Japan but also during the entire 1978 World Tour. Moreover, it was never performed again for the next ten years, until 1988, the first year of the so-called Never Ending Tour that’s been running to this day.

The received wisdom among the fans and critics alike is that the 1978 Japan tour pales in comparison with the following European and U.S. shows. But to me, the show I attended felt like a very strong and impeccable performance on its own. You know, “I was there.” I found the entire show uploaded on YouTube the other day, and listened to it in one go, the first time in 45 years! And it hasn’t changed my impression. Give it a listen and decide by yourself:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-25 19:47 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 25, 2023 20:23

It would be cool if Bob did a guest spot on the new Stones album...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 27, 2023 04:39

I think it would be cool if there were no guest spots on the new STONES album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 27, 2023 04:40

YEP .... just give us STONES

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 27, 2023 04:56

Rockman
YEP .... just give us STONES

Amen.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 27, 2023 12:53

MKjan
I think it would be cool if there were no guest spots on the new STONES album.

Dylan surely isn't that kind of guy who likes to repeat the past or stick to some formula he developed some 50 years ago…

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 27, 2023 14:31

RisingStone
A memorial/memoir

I attended my first Bob Dylan concert 45 years ago today, Saturday, 25 February, 1978. That was the second night of the three Osaka shows during his first Japan tour. FYR the other shows were unprecedented eight Budokan dates (of them, the last show, 4 March, was a later addition. The official At Budokan double live album was recorded on 28 February and 1 March), and Osaka was the only regional destination of the tour outside Tokyo. The venue was Matsushita Denki Taiikukan (the tag, “Matsushita Electric Industrial Gymnasium”, was used in English description), which was later renamed Panasonic Arena. The capacity is approximately 6,000, more or less. AFAIK It has rarely, possibly never, been used before or since for the concert purpose except for these 1978 Dylan shows for some reason beyond me.

I was sitting on the 7th or 8th row on the floor seat, near the centre. Two things I remember among others are; 1. Dylan put on make-up, his face covered in white foundation — the ghost of the glam rock past perhaps? Somehow reminiscent of Mick in the mid-70s. 2. He only played an electric guitar (Stratocaster) — he never picked up an acoustic guitar.

The show lasted about 2 hours and 30 minutes, including a 15-20 minute intermission in the middle. Going, Going, Gone closed the first set. One of the highlights was that Dylan, to the request from the floor, a voice raised somewhere not far from me, launched into an impromptu, most likely unrehearsed, version of One Too Many Mornings, which would end up as the sole performance of the song not only in Japan but also during the entire 1978 World Tour. Moreover, it was never performed again for the next ten years, until 1988, the first year of the so-called Never Ending Tour that’s been running to this day.

The received wisdom among the fans and critics alike is that the 1978 Japan tour pales in comparison with the following European and U.S. shows. But to me, the show I attended felt like a very strong and impeccable performance on its own. You know, “I was there.” I found the entire show uploaded on YouTube the other day, and listened to it in one go, the first time in 45 years! And it hasn’t changed my impression. Give it a listen and decide by yourself:

[www.youtube.com]

Very nice. Thanks RisingStone. I hope you get to some more shows.

Date: February 27, 2023 17:19

ChrisL

Thanks. I missed Dylan’s U.K. show last Fall, but I’m planning to catch him live as well as Clapton in Japan during my home return in the coming April.

Can’t say I’m a dedicated fan, but I saw him every time he toured Japan 1978-2014, except for the one-off, short-set appearance at the UNESCO-backed music festival in Nara 1994 (‘The Great Music Experience’), attended 18 shows in all. My interest in him started to wane when he shifted to a fixed setlist in 2013, and he completely lost me in his Sinatra-covering phase thus resulting in my back off from the 2016 Japan tour. I didn’t see him headlining Fuji Rock Festival 2018, either.

Date: February 27, 2023 18:24

RisingStone
ChrisL

Thanks. I missed Dylan’s U.K. show last Fall, but I’m planning to catch him live as well as Clapton in Japan during my home return in the coming April.

Can’t say I’m a dedicated fan, but I saw him every time he toured Japan 1978-2014, except for the one-off, short-set appearance at the UNESCO-backed music festival in Nara 1994 (‘The Great Music Experience’), attended 18 shows in all. My interest in him started to wane when he shifted to a fixed setlist in 2013, and he completely lost me in his Sinatra-covering phase thus resulting in my back off from the 2016 Japan tour. I didn’t see him headlining Fuji Rock Festival 2018, either.

Understandable, but these Rough and Rowdy Ways shows are really fantastic (if you like the new album). I saw him in Providence in 2021 and then several times in London last year and they were all worth it.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 27, 2023 19:18

ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

Understandable, but these Rough and Rowdy Ways shows are really fantastic (if you like the new album). I saw him in Providence in 2021 and then several times in London last year and they were all worth it.

I've heard mixed reviews on this tour, but the Nashville (Ryman) show was one of the best live shows I've ever seen by anyone (over 100 artists and 200 shows). He has delivered some duds in my time, but at The Ryman, he and his band were sublime.

Date: February 28, 2023 00:46

Hairball

Other way round ... Mr Zimm should bring
The Glimmers in ta lead him down offa misery hill .....

Do a recut - I Contain Multi-Vitamins ...... HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: February 28, 2023 12:52

NashvilleBlues
ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

I've heard mixed reviews on this tour, but the Nashville (Ryman) show was one of the best live shows I've ever seen by anyone (over 100 artists and 200 shows). He has delivered some duds in my time, but at The Ryman, he and his band were sublime.

I would have loved to have seen him at the Ryman!
As for mixed reviews, the only negative reviews I have heard is from people who don't know or don't like the new album. And that makes sense because most of the show is the new album.

Date: February 28, 2023 17:18

ChrisL
NashvilleBlues
ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

As for mixed reviews, the only negative reviews I have heard is from people who don't know or don't like the new album. And that makes sense because most of the show is the new album.

Yeah. I can't imagine a better Dylan show now. You'd have loved it. Jack White was in the crowd (I waved and he waved back). The other time I saw Dylan at The Ryman, Jack White joined him for One More Cup of Coffee and the only ever live performance of Outlaw Blues (another great show).

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: February 28, 2023 18:07

NashvilleBlues
ChrisL
NashvilleBlues
ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

Yeah. I can't imagine a better Dylan show now. You'd have loved it. Jack White was in the crowd (I waved and he waved back). The other time I saw Dylan at The Ryman, Jack White joined him for One More Cup of Coffee and the only ever live performance of Outlaw Blues (another great show).

[www.setlist.fm]

Wow, cool. At one of the London shows, Jimmy Page walked down the aisle so I said, "Enjoy the show, Jimmy." He looked at me and said thanks. That was cool.

Date: February 28, 2023 19:09

ChrisL
NashvilleBlues
ChrisL
NashvilleBlues
ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

[www.setlist.fm]

Wow, cool. At one of the London shows, Jimmy Page walked down the aisle so I said, "Enjoy the show, Jimmy." He looked at me and said thanks. That was cool.

Gnarly!

Date: March 2, 2023 00:52

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 2 March 2023

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: March 3, 2023 13:28

A European tour seems to be in the works starting Late Spring in Spain.We shall see more information will probably be known next week.Be nice to see the Bard one more time.Peace.M

Date: March 3, 2023 14:06

mikey C
A European tour seems to be in the works starting Late Spring in Spain.We shall see more information will probably be known next week.Be nice to see the Bard one more time.Peace.M

rather early summer…
anyway: the rumors say Spain in June and Italy in July. It seems to be likely that there will be shows in other countries (South France?, Switzerland? Autria? South Germany?).
Since Dylan toured Northern Europe and the UK in fall 2022 the upcoming tour will most likely cover Southern Europe. I'd be surprised if this tour was to cross the German river Main..

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 3, 2023 14:35

Rockman
Hairball

Other way round ... Mr Zimm should bring
The Glimmers in ta lead him down offa misery hill .....

Do a recut - I Contain Multi-Vitamins ...... HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bit harsh Rocky. Dylan, unquestionably, is the greatest songwriter/lyricist we have ever seen/heard. That he sounds like he’s on “misery hill”, to you, an unabashed fan of blues music, sounds incredible to me. Blues music, artists that made their living on “misery hill”, still have time for them?

Rod

Date: March 3, 2023 15:09

slewan
…I'd be surprised if this tour was to cross the German river Main..

He’ll cross the Rubicon. You can count on it.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 3, 2023 16:15

slewan
mikey C

rather early summer…
anyway: the rumors say Spain in June and Italy in July. It seems to be likely that there will be shows in other countries (South France?, Switzerland? Autria? South Germany?).
Since Dylan toured Northern Europe and the UK in fall 2022 the upcoming tour will most likely cover Southern Europe. I'd be surprised if this tour was to cross the German river Main..

Granada, Andalucia, Spain June 13....

Date: March 4, 2023 00:20

“misery hill”, to you, an unabashed fan of blues music,

32-20 Blues .... Scarey Day Blues ... Gang Of Brown Skin Women
How Many More Years ... Easy ... Terraplane Blues ... Shes My Kinda Gal
My Gals A Jockey ... Rock with Me Baby .. Keep away From My Baby ..
Old Devil ... Money Marbles & Chalk ... Rollin & Tumbling ... Honey Bee ...
Monkey Doin' Woman ... Hair Parted In The Middle ... Love My Baby ... Little Geneva

Long Long way from Misery Hill .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2023 05:13

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2023 19:57

seems like amazon (US) have gone nuts… right now they offer the 5 CD Fragment box for just $28 (no typo! It's really twentyeight US-dollars)
=> [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-04 19:58 by slewan.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2023 21:09

slewan
seems like amazon (US) have gone nuts… right now they offer the 5 CD Fragment box for just $28 (no typo! It's really twentyeight US-dollars)
=> [www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the heads up slewan - just ordered a second copy for a grand total of $27.76...always nice to have a pristine brand new backup. thumbs up

Date: March 4, 2023 21:47

Hairball
slewan
=> [www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the heads up slewan - just ordered a second copy for a grand total of $27.76...always nice to have a pristine brand new backup. thumbs up

Thanks! Just bought one too. (I was at the 2/6/99 Nashville show where “Can’t Wait” [disc 4] was recorded)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...112113114115116117118119120121122...LastNext
Current Page: 117 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home