Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...111112113114115116117118119120121...LastNext
Current Page: 116 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 20, 2022 01:25

Great interview. He talks a lot in prose, like in his current book and radio show. Definitely a complex person - even to himself. I guess when you've been gifted with creativity, though, you don't analyze it to death, or it might slip away.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 21, 2022 13:02

slewan
new Dylan interview with Jeff Slate published in Wall Street Journal

[www.bobdylan.com]

"I’ve seen Metallica twice"

eye popping smiley eye popping smiley eye popping smiley Otoh Dylan's philosophy has always been about not following the right line. In that respect he follows the intellectual heritage of the 60's.

And Bob must find life in current America absolutely suffocating...
"Creative power can be dammed up or forestalled by everyday life, ordinary life, life in the squirrel cage"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-21 13:04 by dcba.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 27, 2022 12:49

not really about Dylan himself…
Ryan Adams has just released his onw version of 'Blood On The Tracks' – as a free download, see: [paxam.shop]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 11, 2023 02:21

Date: January 11, 2023 14:03

Cristiano Radtke

another killer by Dylan. Once again we have to praise the Bootleg Series. I wish any artist had such great stuff in his/her vaults…

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2023 20:00

slewan
Cristiano Radtke

another killer by Dylan. Once again we have to praise the Bootleg Series. I wish any artist had such great stuff in his/her vaults…

High praise indeed. thumbs up

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 11, 2023 20:15

Awesome version!

The original TOOM album track is hauntingly chilling. Elite art.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 11, 2023 23:11

144 euro for the 5 cd set of fragments
That hurts.
What is the cheapest place to get this

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2023 01:18

Positive youll find it down on 4th Street .....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 12, 2023 13:23

Whale
144 euro for the 5 cd set of fragments
That hurts.
What is the cheapest place to get this

this site offers some kind of price comparison => [superdeluxeedition.com]

Date: January 20, 2023 05:31

Date: January 21, 2023 01:42

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 24, 2023 13:46

With ROLLING STONE issue #02/23 we release another special collector's item: An exclusive Bob Dylan 7"- vinyl single.

A-side: "Lovesick".

B-side: "Cold Irons Bound".

Both songs are from the "Fragments - Bootleg Series 17", including recordings for "Time Out Of Mind" (1997), live versions of the tracks and outtakes.

[www.musik-magazine.de]

Date: January 24, 2023 14:26

I just published a feature review on the Fragments set - here's the link if you fancy the read ...
It's one great set, from one of his best albums.
Time Out of Mind revisited...

Date: January 24, 2023 17:26

MadMetaphoricalMax
I just published a feature review on the Fragments set - here's the link if you fancy the read ...

I enjoyed it, thanks!

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: January 24, 2023 17:56

MadMetaphoricalMax

Great read, thanks for sharing, Max. I can't wait to hear this one.

Date: January 24, 2023 18:17

Thanks BFR n Nashville Blues!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2023 20:28

Incredible to listen, once again, those alternative versions by Bob. For example, this version of "Mississippi" is a version number three that is released (LOVE&THEFT, TELL TALE SIGNS and now this new one). And each of them, while being diiferent by arrangement, are like 'ready to go', finished deals, master-ready stuff.

Zimmy seems to have a very disciplined way to record. The song is there, and each take sounds like a potential one to make the final recording. No bullshitting, no tuning up, no trial and error. Pure action.

With that attitude and tactics, it is a dream come true to make and listen these BOOTLEG SERIES.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 20:34 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2023 21:03

Doxa
(…)

Zimmy seems to have a very disciplined way to record. The song is there, and each take sounds like a potential one to make the final recording. No bullshitting, no tuning up, no trial and error. Pure action.
(…)

- Doxa

you can't really tell – because this BS release doesn't feature the complette recording sessions/process. There are 'just' finished version of the songs on it. So we don't know what happened between those succesful recordings (like false starts, breakdowns, rehearsals etc.)
You might have noticed that there's no alternate version of 'Million Miles' while it's rather unlikely that they cut that song in just one take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 21:04 by slewan.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2023 22:19

slewan
Doxa
(…)

(…)

- Doxa

you can't really tell – because this BS release doesn't feature the complette recording sessions/process. There are 'just' finished version of the songs on it. So we don't know what happened between those succesful recordings (like false starts, breakdowns, rehearsals etc.)
You might have noticed that there's no alternate version of 'Million Miles' while it's rather unlikely that they cut that song in just one take.

Yeah, there surely are failed takes for whatever reason, so I didn't mean each take to be perfect, or Bob and his musicians being like immmortal gods beyond error. Besides especially the TIME OUT OF MIND sessions are described being pretty chaotic and non-disciplined. Dylan also had made demos of the songs with his touring band before the sessions, very untypical to him. This record was exceptational for him by many ways.

But what I mean Dylan's some sort of rigid attitude towards recording songs. The songs are entities that are to be captured as a whole and quickly. He seems to lost an interest and feel if he needs to do several takes (this has been said both by him and by other people involved). It is like an unique performance here and now that cannot be repeated too many times. So he puts a lot of effort and concentration in getting the song 'right' at once or as fast as possible. A bit like his live performances. So that the versions differ in arrangement, tempos, feels or even in melodies are like Dylan trying new ways to 'get it', to get another angle to the song, maintaining a fresh inspiration.

So there are surely lots of wasted takes, but the happy result is to have different versions of songs, each sounding a perfect by its own means.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 22:21 by Doxa.

Date: January 25, 2023 00:39

Doxa
slewan
Doxa
(…)

(…)

- Doxa

Yeah, there surely are failed takes for whatever reason, so I didn't mean each take to be perfect, or Bob and his musicians being like immmortal gods beyond error. Besides especially the TIME OUT OF MIND sessions are described being pretty chaotic and non-disciplined. Dylan also had made demos of the songs with his touring band before the sessions, very untypical to him. This record was exceptational for him by many ways.

But what I mean Dylan's some sort of rigid attitude towards recording songs. The songs are entities that are to be captured as a whole and quickly. He seems to lost an interest and feel if he needs to do several takes (this has been said both by him and by other people involved). It is like an unique performance here and now that cannot be repeated too many times. So he puts a lot of effort and concentration in getting the song 'right' at once or as fast as possible. A bit like his live performances. So that the versions differ in arrangement, tempos, feels or even in melodies are like Dylan trying new ways to 'get it', to get another angle to the song, maintaining a fresh inspiration.

So there are surely lots of wasted takes, but the happy result is to have different versions of songs, each sounding a perfect by its own means.

- Doxa

well there are and there were a hell lot of stories of how Dylan records his songs. The most popular are those that say he cut most of his songs live in the studio in just one or two takes while his band was still believing that they were rehearsing the songs etc.
But as the bootleg series as well a the copyright collection have shown: most of that stories are urban myth.
Just look at the 18 CD version of 'the cutting edge' and check out how many takes had been done to get songs right: [www.discogs.com]
A more recent example is the recording of 'Tell Ol Bill', [www.bobsboots.com]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 26, 2023 12:32

Another Dylan book to appear: Bob Dylan: Retrospectrum - A six-decade survey of Dylan’s work in painting, drawing and sculpture

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-27 22:53 by doitywoik.

Date: January 26, 2023 22:39

Just got an email update that my vinyl Fragments- Time Out of Mind Sessions (1996-1997): The Bootleg Series Vol. 17 has shipped.

Date: January 26, 2023 23:00

MadMetaphoricalMax

Great review, thanks for sharing!

I just finished listening this new set. Wow, just wow!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2023 23:17

Hangin' out ta get a copy of this
But at the moment only available in US .....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 27, 2023 12:16

"Great review, thanks for sharing!
I just finished listening this new set. Wow, just wow!"

Thanks Cristiano, and I'll raise that wow, just wow by a few notches - amazing listen, especially disc 2, I span later last night...,.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 27, 2023 12:45

The Water is Wide………WOW, just WOW!!!! But, what song melodically has it ripped off!!!?!? It’s on the tip tongue but I just can’t put my finger on it.

Rod

Date: January 27, 2023 12:51

bitusa2012
The Water is Wide………WOW, just WOW!!!! But, what song melodically has it ripped off!!!?!? It’s on the tip tongue but I just can’t put my finger on it.

it's an old Scottish folk song covered by Dylan (he did performed it live on stage in 1975 and a few times during the early days of the Never Ending Tour)
=> [en.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 27, 2023 13:00

Ah… This is the one I have heard

[youtu.be]

Rod

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 29, 2023 00:09

Just picked up the 5cd set.
Time out of mind is my favourite Dylan album so for me this is cool but i guess it takes a fanatic to need more than the 2cd version.
The previous infidels themed bootleg series was much more essential.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...111112113114115116117118119120121...LastNext
Current Page: 116 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home