Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...109110111112113114115116117118119...LastNext
Current Page: 114 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 17, 2022 13:05

bootleg Series 17 to be released on January 27th, 2023.
Here's an official unboxing video => [www.youtube.com]

and here a alternate version of Love Sick => [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 17, 2022 17:27

slewan

Thanks! Just bought the 4 LP version for $100. The 10 LP version is $230. Also picked up Blonde on Blonde (2 LP) for $21 on Bob's site.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2022 02:48

------>>>>>> [www.popmatters.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 19, 2022 08:10

This is the Bob to get...and it's on sale.

The complete Rolling Thunder Revue from 1975, $72, 14 CDs

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 19, 2022 09:10

NashvilleBlues
slewan

Thanks! Just bought the 4 LP version for $100. The 10 LP version is $230. Also picked up Blonde on Blonde (2 LP) for $21 on Bob's site.

Can't wait (no pun intended) for this one! I missed out on the bigger TTH version so this comes handy. It'll be interesting to hear TOOM without the Lanois treatment... Probably gonna like this one even moresmileys with beer

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 19, 2022 09:16

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
OK so I've made it thru the rest of Dylan's studio albums. The ones that I enjoyed of his latter stuff are Love and Theft, Modern Times, and Tempest. I did also really like the song, Murder Most Foul, and I don't generally like long songs like that, but that was a good one. Just listened to Before the Flood. I might go thru the live albums too since there aren't too many of those. But that's where I'm at with all of Zimmerman's studio output.

I feel his 1997-2020 output is more consistent than his stuff between 1979-1993 (apart from the awesome Infidels from 1983). Some of his songs hit immediately, but much of it (for me) takes repeated listens.

For good live stuff from 1964-1975, check out The Bootleg Series 4-6. I also really like Hard Rain and Unplugged as live albums.

Not live, but excellent, also see The Bootleg Series 1-3 (all one release).

I'm going to hold off on the Bootleg Series for now, since there's soooooo many of them. Listening to Hard Rain right now actually.

For me, everything since Tempest was just abysmal. Triplicate - what the hell was he thinking?!?!? Couldn't wait for that one to be over!!! I'm not a big jazz fan to begin with (really it's only Charlie's stuff that I'll listen to, and Norah Jones, though I do have a playlist made up of a bunch of jazzy/acoustic stuff I'd expect to hear in a dark lounge for a short story/book I was working on). Tempest I really dug a lot, and I listened to all 3 of those a coupla times. Modern Times is really great, too. Tempest just seems very different for him, and it's magnificent, me thinks!!!

As always it's great reading your input Voodoo! You are spot on! I love Tempest and Modern Times, I think it's two of his best ever records along with Infidels. However I enjoy Shadows, Fallen Angels and Triplicate too, even though they're not much use for a saturday-night-party-like-monsters-time but they're great for cleaning the house or doing the dishes winking smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2022 04:57

Cristiano Radtke
This is superb! I want to hear the whole thing now!

Yes - wow, very nice. thumbs up

For those in the US, Popmarket currently has the 4 album edition $88.79 (15% off list price) + free shipping pre-order. > Time vinyl

Also the 5 cd set at $111.79 (20% off list price)+ free shipping pre-order. > Time cd

And take off an additional 10% discount on any order when signing up for account up with email and text.
I've ordered from here many times and already have an account, yet somehow was still able to get an 10% discount.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: November 21, 2022 01:44

VoodooLounge13
At Budokan!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Lord!!! That was FABULOUS!!! I want to own that one like yesterday!! That was a phenomenal live album!!!

Thank-you for this post... I played that album again, first time in maybe 10 years, it is truly a great live album, with a great setlist even. Dylan's vocals are warm and deep, as if he had written the songs recently and the feelings behind his words were strong and present. Also love the arrangements and background vocals, such a rich sound... evidence of a very good period in Dylan's life.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 21, 2022 01:46

TIRED
VoodooLounge13
At Budokan!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Lord!!! That was FABULOUS!!! I want to own that one like yesterday!! That was a phenomenal live album!!!

Thank-you for this post... I played that album again, first time in maybe 10 years, it is truly a great live album, with a great setlist even. Dylan's vocals are warm and deep, as if he had written the songs recently and the feelings behind his words were strong and present. Also love the arrangements and background vocals, such a rich sound... evidence of a very good period in Dylan's life.

My first Dylan show was on that tour. My final was last June.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: November 21, 2022 02:19

Big scam from Mr. Dylan's camp as they tried to sell 1000 books, $600 each, allegedly containing his genuine autograph - that turned out to be autopen (signed by machine)...

[www.iheartradio.ca]

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 21, 2022 14:59

TIRED
VoodooLounge13

forget Budokan. If you like the Dylan 1978 sound go for 'Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte' (a bootleg of his show in Charlotte, NC, USA, Dec. 10th) or any other show from late fall/early winter 1978). Much mire energy, dynamics etc.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 21, 2022 21:02

TIRED
VoodooLounge13

Glad you were happily reminded of this one, Tired!! I'm on my 2nd to last live album of his right now (Live 1962–1966: Rare Performances from the Copyright Collections), and absolutely nothing comes close to the stellar performance that is Budokan!!! It's really just a fabulous album, and I might even go so far as to say one of my Top 10 all-time favorite live albums!!! Truly a phenomenal effort - his voice, the setlist, it's all great. Like he had something to prove, and it's still so early on in his career, yet he was well established by then as well. I love it!!! Going to buy the Blu-Spec CD version of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-11 21:39 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 22, 2022 00:13

slewan
TIRED
VoodooLounge13

forget Budokan. If you like the Dylan 1978 sound go for 'Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte' (a bootleg of his show in Charlotte, NC, USA, Dec. 10th) or any other show from late fall/early winter 1978). Much mire energy, dynamics etc.

The European tour that summer blows anything else from that year away. Take your pick from any of the Paris shows. 8th July is my personal favourite.

Budokan is good but its at the very start of the tour and the band and Bob are at their peak by the summer. The US leg is very good too, but his voice isnt as good by that stage. That Charlotte show is indeed worth getting.

Date: November 22, 2022 18:51

treaclefingers
This is the Bob to get...and it's on sale.

The complete Rolling Thunder Revue from 1975, $72, 14 CDs

[www.amazon.com]

Y'know, I listened to the sampler of the Rolling Thunder Revue, and it just didn't grab me like Budokan. In fact, really none of his live albums, for me anyway, came anywhere near that one. I have to go back thru what I posted on here as the albums I really dug and compile that list. I also gave the soundtrack to Girl From the North Country a listen, and I have to say I enjoyed those interpretations as well.

For now, I'm all done with Mr. Zimmerman. Gotta give that new Bruce album a listen, and then there's a bunch of other stuff I'd like to explore - the Vanderberg albums for instance, and some other stuff that have what I think are interesting covers. Then there's stuff I've never listened to like King Crimson that I might check out. My boys have been listening to Iron Maiden and Skynyrd in chronological order. Maiden has never been on my radar but they really like them, and Skynyrd I've always been OK with just the Gold & Platinum discs, but maybe I'll dive deeper. There's so much music out there!!!!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 23, 2022 11:52

Gazza
slewan
TIRED
VoodooLounge13

The European tour that summer blows anything else from that year away. Take your pick from any of the Paris shows. 8th July is my personal favourite.

Budokan is good but its at the very start of the tour and the band and Bob are at their peak by the summer. The US leg is very good too, but his voice isnt as good by that stage. That Charlotte show is indeed worth getting.

I downloaded the Captain Acid remaster of 8th July show a couple of years ago based on your recommendation from even further back in time. It is great ... Shelter From The Storm and Love Minus Zero/No Limit are the best live versions I have ever heard.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 23, 2022 15:32

Shady…

[apple.news]

Date: November 23, 2022 19:19

Since this is a new Stones album thread, I find it absolutely relevant and necessary to mention this: while I dig your attitude to explore new waters, VoodooLounge13, I think that of not liking Dylan's voice sounds like an obstacle making it impossible to ever really like his albums. It is so central part of his music. I mean, if one doesn't like the voice of Elvis I don't think his albums will ever sound that good. Or the same with Jagger's voice or, say, Keith Richards guitar playing. If one doesn't like them, can one ever really like the music of Rolling Stones?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-23 18:55 by Doxa.

So, to be fair, his voice is what has always kept me from really listening to, or even wanting to explore, more of his catalog. I've seen the legend live (on tour with the great Paul Simon, as I'd most assuredly never pay to see him alone), and I was utterly dismayed by how awful he sounded then, too. But despite his voice and my feelings toward it, I did want to dive into his vast catalog, and I was able to find quite a few albums that I really dug. And as I told my sons just this past weekend, I think on some of his more latter day stuff (Modern Times for instance), Dylan's voice fits the genre - whatever one that is that he falls into - quite well. Similarly to how Keef's voice has grown more gravelly with time, and how he sounds on Cross-Eyed Heart is like an elder stateman. I think the same could be said of Dylan.

Perhaps treaclefingers is correct and I do need repeated listens to really appreciate it all. For the most part, I only listened to the albums a single time, with the exception of Tempest, The Basement Tapes, Oh Mercy (which for me is still just OK), and Bringing It All Back Home. But even with one listen, I feel I walked away with quite a few albums that I genuinely enjoyed. I have Budokan in my cart overseas and am just waiting for the Black Friday sales to kick off before ordering it. Can't wait to hear it in Blu-Spec form!!!

Even with Floyd I found some albums that I really liked, though again not what the masses love. I can't get into Dark Side, but I loved The Final Cut. I really like the Division Bell, which many despise. There's no rhyme or reason really.

I love 80's hair metal and grunge, both of which are generally panned around here. Michael Stipe and Sinead O'Connor are my two all-time favorite vocalists (male and female) - not sure how many here would say the same. I'd be willing to bet no one. I love world music (Paul Simon's African years), Indian music, Native American music, Reggae, Armenian, and I'll listen to monks for hours because I find it to be utterly relaxing.

What can I say? I'm not easily pigeon-holed, and quite often I don't follow the norm or the trends. I am an Aquarius after all!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-23 20:34 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: November 23, 2022 20:01

VoodooLounge13
Since this is a new Stones album thread, I find it absolutely relevant and necessary to mention this: while I dig your attitude to explore new waters, VoodooLounge13, I think that of not liking Dylan's voice sounds like an obstacle making it impossible to ever really like his albums. It is so central part of his music. I mean, if one doesn't like the voice of Elvis I don't think his albums will ever sound that good. Or the same with Jagger's voice or, say, Keith Richards guitar playing. If one doesn't like them, can one ever really like the music of Rolling Stones?

- Doxa

So, to be fair, his voice is what has always kept me from really listening to, or even wanting to explore, more of his catalog. I've seen the legend live (on tour with the great Paul Simon, as I'd most assuredly never pay to see him alone), and I was utterly dismayed by how awful he sounded then, too. But despite his voice and my feelings toward it, I did want to dive into his vast catalog, and I was able to find quite a few albums that I really dug. And as I told my sons just this past weekend, I think on some of his more latter day stuff (Modern Times for instance), Dylan's voice fits the genre - whatever one that is that he falls into - quite well. Similarly to have Keef's voice has grown more gravelly with time, and how he sounds on Cross-Eyed Heart is like an elder stateman. I think the same could be said of Dylan.

Perhaps treaclefingers is correct and I do need repeated listens to really appreciate it all. For the most part, I only listened to the albums a single time, with the exception of Tempest, The Basement Tapes, Oh Mercy (which for me is still just OK), and Bringing It All Back Home. But even with one listen, I feel I walked away with quite a few albums that I genuinely enjoyed. I have Budokan in my cart overseas and am just waiting for the Black Friday sales to kick off before ordering it. Can't wait to hear it in Blu-Spec form!!!

Even with Floyd I found some albums that I really liked, though again not what the masses love. I can't get into Dark Side, but I loved The Final Cut. I really like the Division Bell, which many despise. There's no rhyme or reason really.

I love 80's hair metal and grunge, both of which are generally panned around here. Michael Stipe and Sinead O'Connor are my two all-time favorite vocalists (male and female) - not sure how many here would say the same. I'd be willing to bet no one. I love world music (Paul Simon's African years), Indian music, Native American music, Reggae, Armenian, and I'll listen to monks for hours because I find it to be utterly relaxing.

What can I say? I'm not easily pigeon-holed, and quite often I don't follow the norm or the trends. I am an Aquarius after all!!!!

I'm an Aquarius also. Artsy fartsy & all over the place! smileys with beer

Date: November 23, 2022 20:36

crholmstrom
VoodooLounge13

- Doxa

So, to be fair, his voice is what has always kept me from really listening to, or even wanting to explore, more of his catalog. I've seen the legend live (on tour with the great Paul Simon, as I'd most assuredly never pay to see him alone), and I was utterly dismayed by how awful he sounded then, too. But despite his voice and my feelings toward it, I did want to dive into his vast catalog, and I was able to find quite a few albums that I really dug. And as I told my sons just this past weekend, I think on some of his more latter day stuff (Modern Times for instance), Dylan's voice fits the genre - whatever one that is that he falls into - quite well. Similarly to have Keef's voice has grown more gravelly with time, and how he sounds on Cross-Eyed Heart is like an elder stateman. I think the same could be said of Dylan.

I'm an Aquarius also. Artsy fartsy & all over the place! smileys with beer

Quite right!!! And often following along to the beat of a drum of our own making! LOL

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2022 15:51

"Bob Dylan almost chose 'Little Willie' as his stage name"

[www.loudersound.com]

Date: November 27, 2022 00:52

wickerman
Big scam from Mr. Dylan's camp as they tried to sell 1000 books, $600 each, allegedly containing his genuine autograph - that turned out to be autopen (signed by machine)...

[www.iheartradio.ca]

[www.facebook.com]

Dylan now apologized: [m.facebook.com]

Date: November 27, 2022 01:10

Hhhuuuh.... have doubts Mr Zimmerman wrote that

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 27, 2022 01:27

Rockman
Hhhuuuh.... have doubts Mr Zimmerman wrote that

Someone else wrote it and he autosigned it.grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2022 01:36

yep ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 27, 2022 01:43

I’ve been going through the 66 live box series. Just the electric part of each show. Its the best Dylan there’s been for me. His delivery is sneering at times. It’s almost punk. But the band is killer. The songs seem to flow along timing and chord changes are sloppy but it just all somehow works as a band together and the song comes out brilliantly

Date: November 27, 2022 01:55

Paddy
I’ve been going through the 66 live box series. Just the electric part of each show. Its the best Dylan there’s been for me. His delivery is sneering at times. It’s almost punk. But the band is killer. The songs seem to flow along timing and chord changes are sloppy but it just all somehow works as a band together and the song comes out brilliantly

it's most likely the best live rock music played in 1966 (the only band that had the same energy/power in those days was The Who, but their music lacked the complexity of Dylan's music; what the Beatles and the Stones did in those days was compared to Dylan and The Band was either pop and/or children's music).

Date: November 27, 2022 02:57

slewan
Paddy

it's most likely the best live rock music played in 1966 (the only band that had the same energy/power in those days was The Who, but their music lacked the complexity of Dylan's music; what the Beatles and the Stones did in those days was compared to Dylan and The Band was either pop and/or children's music).

Robbie Robertson was stunning on guitar before he got into the less is more thing. Still great after that but he just slayed with Dylan in 1966.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 28, 2022 21:20

slewan
wickerman

[www.iheartradio.ca]

[www.facebook.com]

Dylan now apologized: [m.facebook.com]

Wasn't there an autopen issue also with Keith's "Life"?

Date: November 28, 2022 21:49

THE AGE ---- 29 November 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2022 22:16

900 x 890 = 801000 ..... not bad cookies

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...109110111112113114115116117118119...LastNext
Current Page: 114 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home