Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 4, 2022 03:45

Hairball
NashvilleBlues

BOTT is clearly a dark album, but for me, Time Out of Mind is even darker. Bone-chilling.

Agreed.

While Blood is indeed a dark masterpiece, Time Out of Mind will always be the one for me.

Blood on the Tracks was released when I was just 12 years old, and I didn't have that life experience to fully relate to it until much later.
Time Out of Mind on the other hand was released when I had just turned 34, and I happened to be in the midst of a turbulent relationship that ultimately dissolved.
That album spoke volumes to me, and still does. It's a tough one on many levels, but it's art at it's finest, and probably my all time favorite album by anyone for a variety of reasons.
When I revisit it today I'm right back there again...love sick...walking down that dirt road until my eyes begin to bleed...standing in the doorway crying with blues wrapped around my head...
still a million miles away...trying to get to heaven...and on and on...ultimately realizing my hearts in the highlands at the break of day, over the hills and far away....

I haven’t listened to it in a long time. I sure need to. You’re right. It’s art at its finest. Pure brilliance.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 4, 2022 04:31

Hairball
NashvilleBlues

BOTT is clearly a dark album, but for me, Time Out of Mind is even darker. Bone-chilling.

Agreed.

While Blood is indeed a dark masterpiece, Time Out of Mind will always be the one for me.

Blood on the Tracks was released when I was just 12 years old, and I didn't have that life experience to fully relate to it until much later.
Time Out of Mind on the other hand was released when I had just turned 34, and I happened to be in the midst of a turbulent relationship that ultimately dissolved.
That album spoke volumes to me, and still does. It's a tough one on many levels, but it's art at it's finest, and probably my all time favorite album by anyone for a variety of reasons.
When I revisit it today I'm right back there again...love sick...walking down that dirt road until my eyes begin to bleed...standing in the doorway crying with blues wrapped around my head...
still a million miles away...trying to get to heaven...and on and on...ultimately realizing my hearts in the highlands at the break of day, over the hills and far away....

Same here!

I was fortunate enough to see Dylan play live in 1998, 6 or so months after Time Out of Mind was released and it's still one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I still remember how loud it sounded Cold Irons Bound that night.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2022 06:50

Bill Flanagan Q&A with Mr Zimmerman ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 4, 2022 12:27

Sort of interesting

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: November 5, 2022 09:38

James Dean & Pier Angeli

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2022 15:53

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
NashvilleBlues

Agreed.

Same here!

I was fortunate enough to see Dylan play live in 1998, 6 or so months after Time Out of Mind was released and it's still one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I still remember how loud it sounded Cold Irons Bound that night.

That was a great tour...and a great album.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 8, 2022 21:07

I received the book on Saturday but didn't have the time yet to read more than two chapters (treatments of songs). Definitely interesting. Didn't really know what to expect anyway but still surprising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-08 22:50 by doitywoik.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 8, 2022 22:40

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
NashvilleBlues

Agreed.

Same here!

It shocked me. I didn't know what to expect. The first time I saw him live was in 1998, at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion. The promo poster said to be there promptly. We were a couple minutes late and heard Dylan's voice storming through the door. We rushed in and he was kicking ass with Maggie's Farm. (It was the triple show with Joni Mitchell and Van Morrison, Dylan went on first that night). After all the mumbling and the jokes I was amazed to see Dylan be great. You could hear and understand every word. The band was kick ass. And it didn't hurt to see Joni live too, in one of her last live concerts.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 8, 2022 22:54

well, Dylan was great in 1998. But the UK/Europe fall tour is the real deal – new versions of 'Tryin' To Get To Heaven', 'Cold Irons Bound', 'Can't Wait' plus a bunch of rare songs (like 'Fankie Lee & Judas Priest', 'Highlands'…)

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 9, 2022 21:58

So just an update for all........I've gotten thru everything up to Down in the Groove, which I really dug!! Unfortunately, the only album from Self Portrait to Groove that I liked was The Basement Tapes. Everything else I didn't really care for. Lotta mediocre stuff in there for me.

Date: November 9, 2022 22:08

Hey yeah Voodoo bear in mind that
the Basement Tapes stem from 1967 .....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 9, 2022 22:48

Ah well, that might explain why I enjoyed it so, Rock!!! Did not know that!!

Date: November 9, 2022 22:52

VoodooLounge13
Ah well, that might explain why I enjoyed it so, Rock!!! Did not know that!!

well, the stuff from 1967 was somehow remixed and re-worked for the 1975 release. Check out Bootleg Series vol. 11/The Complete Basement Tapes

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2022 23:50

VoodooLounge13
So just an update for all........I've gotten thru everything up to Down in the Groove, which I really dug!! Unfortunately, the only album from Self Portrait to Groove that I liked was The Basement Tapes. Everything else I didn't really care for. Lotta mediocre stuff in there for me.

That's fast. To me listen that amount of Dylan albums took some years to digest. The sequence of 70's albums from BLOOD ON THE TRACKS to SLOW TRAIN COMING via DESIRE and STREET LEGAL is to me one of Bob's strongest, each album sounding not just great but interestingly different from each other. Albums full of Bob's best individual songs.

After that I think the albums started to be a bit uneven until masterful OH MERCY in which each track is a killer (KNOCKED OUT LOADED and DOWN IN THE GROOVE being Bob's low point in his recording career). But despite of that there are lots of gem songs in each album, especially on INFIDELS, and then there are those which didn't make it, such as "Blind Willie McTell" and "Caribbean Wind", both being one of my favourite Dylan tracks. I have personal affection to EMPIRE BURLESQUE, since it was the first new album I started seriously follow Dylan's career. 80's over-production is what it is, but there are many great individual songs.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-09 23:52 by Doxa.

Date: November 10, 2022 00:31

I may be in the minority here, but I love Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid Soundtrack. I didn’t see the movie till recently and boy is it a weird one! What about the part where Bob Dylan is reading the labels of canned foods on the wall? “Succotash.” Haha!

Date: November 10, 2022 01:17

NashvilleBlues
I may be in the minority here, but I love Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid Soundtrack. I didn’t see the movie till recently and boy is it a weird one! What about the part where Bob Dylan is reading the labels of canned foods on the wall? “Succotash.” Haha!

making a soundtrack out of just one and a half song – only Dylan could get away with this

Date: November 10, 2022 03:32

slewan
NashvilleBlues

making a soundtrack out of just one and a half song – only Dylan could get away with this

Definitely not the deepest album of his career, but I love the cohesive vibe of it all. Great driving music.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 10, 2022 03:55

^

It's a classic album.

Date: November 10, 2022 05:10

Hhaaaa nail that one up with Keith sing blues songs ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 10, 2022 05:24

Doxa
VoodooLounge13

That's fast. To me listen that amount of Dylan albums took some years to digest. The sequence of 70's albums from BLOOD ON THE TRACKS to SLOW TRAIN COMING via DESIRE and STREET LEGAL is to me one of Bob's strongest, each album sounding not just great but interestingly different from each other. Albums full of Bob's best individual songs.

After that I think the albums started to be a bit uneven until masterful OH MERCY in which each track is a killer (KNOCKED OUT LOADED and DOWN IN THE GROOVE being Bob's low point in his recording career). But despite of that there are lots of gem songs in each album, especially on INFIDELS, and then there are those which didn't make it, such as "Blind Willie McTell" and "Caribbean Wind", both being one of my favourite Dylan tracks. I have personal affection to EMPIRE BURLESQUE, since it was the first new album I started seriously follow Dylan's career. 80's over-production is what it is, but there are many great individual songs.

- Doxa

Dark Eyes comes to mind. Also my first 'new album' I started listening to.

Date: November 10, 2022 06:53

Doxa
VoodooLounge13

- Doxa

Well, I work from home and can crank up the volume and go one by one, which is what I’ve been doing. Just the studio albums mind you. No live or bootleg series so far. Not sure if I’ll do the bootleg just yet. I’d only been doing a few Dylan albums a day, as it’s about all I can take, but yesterday I cranked thru about 6 or 7. They’re short so no wonder he’s released so many albums. Most are less than 40 minutes. Or a lot of them anyway.

Date: November 10, 2022 16:00

VoodooLounge13
Doxa
VoodooLounge13

- Doxa

Well, I work from home and can crank up the volume and go one by one, which is what I’ve been doing. Just the studio albums mind you. No live or bootleg series so far. Not sure if I’ll do the bootleg just yet. I’d only been doing a few Dylan albums a day, as it’s about all I can take, but yesterday I cranked thru about 6 or 7. They’re short so no wonder he’s released so many albums. Most are less than 40 minutes. Or a lot of them anyway.

Everyone's taste is different, so there's no right or wrong in this comment.

I'll only say that for the Stones, it's always taken me 2 or 3 listens to 'grab on' and start enjoying the title. Think of the initial reaction to Exile on Main Street? A tough album to get through on first listen (unbelievable to think now) and never recommended as a first exposure to the Stones for the neophyte (grab yourself Hot Rocks instead).

I'd say broadly speaking, Dylan albums are a bit like Exile, not immediately accessible so if you're listening one time only, in the background while working and not actually listening, it's likely to skate right by you.

Date: November 10, 2022 17:40

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
Doxa
VoodooLounge13

- Doxa

Everyone's taste is different, so there's no right or wrong in this comment.

I'll only say that for the Stones, it's always taken me 2 or 3 listens to 'grab on' and start enjoying the title. Think of the initial reaction to Exile on Main Street? A tough album to get through on first listen (unbelievable to think now) and never recommended as a first exposure to the Stones for the neophyte (grab yourself Hot Rocks instead).

I'd say broadly speaking, Dylan albums are a bit like Exile, not immediately accessible so if you're listening one time only, in the background while working and not actually listening, it's likely to skate right by you.

Could be, Treacle, but I'm listening enough to pick up when I like something, and then I will often go back and start over. For me, Dylan's biggest detractor is his damn voice. I just can't. The stuff that I'm tending to like is stuff where he's articulate and I can actually here and understand him, and he's much less nails on the chalkboard. I have some pretty big artists that I just can't comprehend. Floyd is another one. For me, Dark Side has to be one of THE most overrated albums of all time.

I'm going to continue going thru Dylan, because I've started this journey LOL Blood didn't grab me. I've heard bits of Time Out of Mind - I believe he won a grammy for that one? Also, not impressed with it. I tend to love the albums the critics bash. For example the last one I listened to yesterday was Under The Red Sky, and I really liked that one a lot, and yet it's viewed as possibly the worst thing he ever did, so go figure.

Oh Mercy is decent enough, and I've listened to it several times, because there was a song on the radio back in that time that had the lyric, You've got to ring the bell, or something like that - I've never been able to find that song. Well, the singer's voice sounded like Dylan, and I always thought that it was him. Oh Mercy has a song called Ring Them Bells, but that is NOT the song. It was played on rock stations back then, and Dylan just wasn't LOL So that mystery I've never solved, but for me, yes, perhaps I would need to just sit back sip a few margarita's and let old man Zimmerman wash over me. I just don't have the time to devote to such an undertaking. Nor am I sure I'd want to LOL. What I've found that I like so far would be more than enough to keep me sated.

Date: November 12, 2022 05:34

24FPS
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
NashvilleBlues

Agreed.

Same here!

It shocked me. I didn't know what to expect. The first time I saw him live was in 1998, at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion. The promo poster said to be there promptly. We were a couple minutes late and heard Dylan's voice storming through the door. We rushed in and he was kicking ass with Maggie's Farm. (It was the triple show with Joni Mitchell and Van Morrison, Dylan went on first that night). After all the mumbling and the jokes I was amazed to see Dylan be great. You could hear and understand every word. The band was kick ass. And it didn't hurt to see Joni live too, in one of her last live concerts.

That was indeed a great tour! Some of Bob's best live recordings comes from that era.

I'm lucky to have witnessed Bob playing one of the less played songs (10 times to this day) he's ever played live, which was The Stanley Brothers' "The White Dove". There's a snippet of that song on this local newscast, broadcasted on the day after the concert.

Date: November 16, 2022 19:57

OK so I've made it thru the rest of Dylan's studio albums. The ones that I enjoyed of his latter stuff are Love and Theft, Modern Times, and Tempest. I did also really like the song, Murder Most Foul, and I don't generally like long songs like that, but that was a good one. Just listened to Before the Flood. I might go thru the live albums too since there aren't too many of those. But that's where I'm at with all of Zimmerman's studio output.

Date: November 16, 2022 20:10

VoodooLounge13
OK so I've made it thru the rest of Dylan's studio albums. The ones that I enjoyed of his latter stuff are Love and Theft, Modern Times, and Tempest. I did also really like the song, Murder Most Foul, and I don't generally like long songs like that, but that was a good one. Just listened to Before the Flood. I might go thru the live albums too since there aren't too many of those. But that's where I'm at with all of Zimmerman's studio output.

I feel his 1997-2020 output is more consistent than his stuff between 1979-1993 (apart from the awesome Infidels from 1983). Some of his songs hit immediately, but much of it (for me) takes repeated listens.

For good live stuff from 1964-1975, check out The Bootleg Series 4-6. I also really like Hard Rain and Unplugged as live albums.

Not live, but excellent, also see The Bootleg Series 1-3 (all one release).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-16 20:14 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: November 16, 2022 20:41

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

I feel his 1997-2020 output is more consistent than his stuff between 1979-1993 (apart from the awesome Infidels from 1983). Some of his songs hit immediately, but much of it (for me) takes repeated listens.

For good live stuff from 1964-1975, check out The Bootleg Series 4-6. I also really like Hard Rain and Unplugged as live albums.

Not live, but excellent, also see The Bootleg Series 1-3 (all one release).

I'm going to hold off on the Bootleg Series for now, since there's soooooo many of them. Listening to Hard Rain right now actually.

For me, everything since Tempest was just abysmal. Triplicate - what the hell was he thinking?!?!? Couldn't wait for that one to be over!!! I'm not a big jazz fan to begin with (really it's only Charlie's stuff that I'll listen to, and Norah Jones, though I do have a playlist made up of a bunch of jazzy/acoustic stuff I'd expect to hear in a dark lounge for a short story/book I was working on). Tempest I really dug a lot, and I listened to all 3 of those a coupla times. Modern Times is really great, too. Tempest just seems very different for him, and it's magnificent, me thinks!!!

Date: November 16, 2022 20:58

VoodooLounge13

My favorite live album from Bob, so much that I listened to all the recordings that came from that tour. There's an excellent recording from the MSG concert with a stellar version of "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues".

Hard Rain is great, especially for the killer version of "Idiot Wind".

Date: November 16, 2022 23:18

At Budokan!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Lord!!! That was FABULOUS!!! I want to own that one like yesterday!! That was a phenomenal live album!!!

Date: November 17, 2022 05:30

This is superb! I want to hear the whole thing now!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home