Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 1, 2022 00:00

Yes, Dylan and the Dead both have stellar archival programs.

While some say that one Stones show is too similar to another to warrant multiple releases from a single tour, a la the Grateful Dead, I think one could cherry pick some great shows from each year that would keep the rabid fan satisfied.

TeaAtThree

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2022 03:08

slewan
Dylan will release the next volume of his famous 'Bootleg Series' in late January. It will be a 10LP/5CD box and it features the Time Out of Mind Sessions.
There will be a new mix of the original albums as well as live tracks recorded between 1998-2001. Most likely the three CDs will feature alternates and outtakes.

see:
[expectingrain.com]

Hallelujah. thumbs up

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 1, 2022 14:46

DELETED

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-02 19:16 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 2, 2022 17:30

So as I make my way thru the enormous catalog of Mr. Zimmerman, so far my absolute favorite album is Bringing It All Back Home, and my new favorite song is Love Minus Zero. Wow. Stellar all around.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 2, 2022 17:57

VoodooLounge13
So as I make my way thru the enormous catalog of Mr. Zimmerman, so far my absolute favorite album is Bringing It All Back Home, and my new favorite song is Love Minus Zero. Wow. Stellar all around.

Hard to beat that album!

Outside of the well-known elite Dylan albums (BIABH, BOTT, Hwy 61, Blonde on Blonde), I especially enjoy Nashville Skyline, New Morning, Planet Waves (w/ The Band), Basement Tapes (w/ The Band), Bob Dylan, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Time Out of Mind, and Infidels.

There are more, but those are my standouts. Let me know what you think.

Date: November 2, 2022 18:43

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Hard to beat that album!

Outside of the well-known elite Dylan albums (BIABH, BOTT, Hwy 61, Blonde on Blonde), I especially enjoy Nashville Skyline, New Morning, Planet Waves (w/ The Band), Basement Tapes (w/ The Band), Bob Dylan, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Time Out of Mind, and Infidels.

I don't really know what's elite and what's not. I do know that Highway 61 and Blood on the Tracks are supposed to be masterpieces. I started with Blood because my 18yo son loves it. To me, it was meh. He was floored LOL. Then I went back to the beginning, and I've been going in order chronologically. Didn't care for his debut, but Freewheelin' was great!! As are Another Side and Highway 61. Good I'd say are Blonde and Times A-Changing. Nashville was Decent. On Self-Portrait now, and it can't be over fast enough!

Date: November 2, 2022 19:00

For framework......prior to this undertaking, the only Dylan that I have in my vast collection are Biograph, the 30th Anniversary concert cd (more for who else is on it), and some of his albums with Mick T - not even sure I have them all. None of these items are revisited often, and none of it is on my iPod.... So really I am probably about as close to a Virgin Dylan listener as one could be as a Rock Dude LOL

Date: November 2, 2022 19:15

VoodooLounge13
For framework......prior to this undertaking, the only Dylan that I have in my vast collection are Biograph, the 30th Anniversary concert cd (more for who else is on it), and some of his albums with Mick T - not even sure I have them all. None of these items are revisited often, and none of it is on my iPod.... So really I am probably about as close to a Virgin Dylan listener as one could be as a Rock Dude LOL

Keep diving in deep. I think you'll be glad you did.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2022 20:37

TeaAtThree
Yes, Dylan and the Dead both have stellar archival programs.

While some say that one Stones show is too similar to another to warrant multiple releases from a single tour, a la the Grateful Dead, I think one could cherry pick some great shows from each year that would keep the rabid fan satisfied.

TeaAtThree

For one thing they don't have to put out entire concerts. You could do a Live Rarities album easily. Songs rarely played. They don't have to be in any chronological order.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 2, 2022 21:34

Bringing It All Back Home is the album that turned me onto Dylan. I knew of his earlier albums but they did nada for me when people played them. The late Rick Nelson said when he heard BIABH it turned him completely around in terms of the music he wanted to play. Nelson and The Stone Canyon Band did some very good covers of Dylan songs. The last three songs on BIABH are pure poetry to my ears. It's All Over Now Baby Blue remains my all time fave Dylan song. There are so many Dylan songs that are worth finding, his versions and others. If you aren't already aware of it there's a Dylan site worth checking out regarding his Bobness - www.expectingrain.com

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 2, 2022 22:06

listen to live 1966 – especially the electric set and then kneel down and thank HisBobness for showing rock music which way to go

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-02 22:07 by slewan.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2022 01:41

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Hard to beat that album!

Just the ones you mentioned would have been a stellar career!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2022 02:29

Picked op Mr Zimm's new book yesterday ....

In alotta ways its kinda like a children's bible ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 3, 2022 04:19

Rockman

Picked op Mr Zimm's new book yesterday ....

In alotta ways its kinda like a children's bible ....

I've seen some pics and videos and it looks like a wonderful book. I began reading it (on a pdf file) and I'm liking it so far. In some parts I read with Bob's voice in my head, like in his Theme Time Radio Hour shows.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 3, 2022 07:57

Audio Book turned up today ..... SIX CD’s covering the book .....

Guests are clear as light...
Mr Zimmerman sounds like he was recorded
down the back of a diesel mechanics work-shop .....HHHHaaaaa

But hey good ta have with ya while out on the
roads of life aburnin’ up fuel for those OPEC devil dogs........HHHaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 3, 2022 08:49

I still have to listen to a lot of stuff from his immense catalogue.
For the moment i'm madly in love with 'Blood on the Tracks' and my favourite songs are 'Tangled Up in Blue' and 'Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts'.
Then i'm addicted to these terrific live version of "It's all right ma.."
[youtu.be]

...and "Jokerman"
[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-03 08:56 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 3, 2022 13:55

I’m odd. I love Self Portrait and Another Self Portrait. Street Legal is my favourite of Dylan’s though, and Tell Take Signs.

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2022 14:09

To me BLOOD ON THE TRACKS is one of the strongest and most effective albums ever done. But I don't listen that very often (unlike many other Dylan albums). It is so strong, deep and dark, and going through such painful, nasty, awful, bitter emotions that one needs to have a certain mindset to handle it. And I don't have that that often, thankfully. It is not like great blues music that starts from a pain, but turns that into a joy, the funerals into fiestas. Dylan offers no way out, but just directs us deeper in the pain. To feel it plain and with no compromise. It's like what Nietzsche once said, 'what is not written with blood, is not written at all'.

Probably some other Dylan albums are a bit like that - OH MERCY, TIME OUT OF MIND, the latest - but I think none of them go so deep and thoroughly into painful, mixed human feelings as BLOOD does.

It is an unique masterpiece but I understand very well what Dylan means by saying that he can't understand why anyone can 'like' that album.

But I guess it was the last nail in the coffin when I get to know the album to realize that 'this dude is in the class of its own as an artist as far as pop music goes'.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-03 14:22 by Doxa.

Date: November 3, 2022 16:10

Doxa
To me BLOOD ON THE TRACKS is one of the strongest and most effective albums ever done. But I don't listen that very often (unlike many other Dylan albums). It is so strong, deep and dark, and going through such painful, nasty, awful, bitter emotions that one needs to have a certain mindset to handle it. And I don't have that that often, thankfully. It is not like great blues music that starts from a pain, but turns that into a joy, the funerals into fiestas. Dylan offers no way out, but just directs us deeper in the pain. To feel it plain and with no compromise. It's like what Nietzsche once said, 'what is not written with blood, is not written at all'.

Probably some other Dylan albums are a bit like that - OH MERCY, TIME OUT OF MIND, the latest - but I think none of them go so deep and thoroughly into painful, mixed human feelings as BLOOD does.

It is an unique masterpiece but I understand very well what Dylan means by saying that he can't understand why anyone can 'like' that album.

But I guess it was the last nail in the coffin when I get to know the album to realize that 'this dude is in the class of its own as an artist as far as pop music goes'.

- Doxa

You're so right Doxa about that album thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-03 16:11 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 3, 2022 16:25

bitusa2012
I’m odd. I love Self Portrait and Another Self Portrait. Street Legal is my favourite of Dylan’s though, and Tell Take Signs.

I like Self Portrait too. I understand why some don't, but I've always found it to be a very enjoyable listen. Definitely not a concept album, but a quirky quilt.

Date: November 3, 2022 16:26

Doxa

- Doxa

BOTT is clearly a dark album, but for me, Time Out of Mind is even darker. Bone-chilling.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 3, 2022 18:58

Guys, if you like Blood on the tracks then treat yourslef
to an early xmas pressent, the demos with just Bob, guitar
and Harmonica are fantastic

MORE BLOOD, MORE TRACKS
THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 14
6 CD Deluxe Edition

DISC 1

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

If You See Her, Say Hello (Take 1) – solo
If You See Her, Say Hello (Take 2) – solo – previously released on The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3: Rare and Unreleased, 1961-1991
You’re a Big Girl Now (Take 1) – solo
You’re a Big Girl Now (Take 2) – solo
Simple Twist of Fate (Take 1) – solo
Simple Twist of Fate (Take 2) – solo
You’re a Big Girl Now (Take 3) – solo
Up to Me (Rehearsal) – solo
Up to Me (Take 1) – solo
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts (Take 1) – solo
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts (Take 2) – solo – included on Blood on the Tracks test pressing

Bob Dylan – vocals, guitar, harmonica

DISC 2

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

Simple Twist of Fate (Take 1A) – with band
Simple Twist of Fate (Take 2A) – with band
Simple Twist of Fate (Take 3A) – with band
Call Letter Blues (Take 1) – with band
Meet Me in the Morning (Take 1) – with band – edited version included on Blood on the Tracks test pressing and previously released on Blood on the Tracks
Call Letter Blues (Take 2) – with band – previously released on The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3: Rare and Unreleased, 1961-1991
Idiot Wind (Take 1) – with bass
Idiot Wind (Take 1, Remake) – with bass
Idiot Wind (Take 3 with insert) – with bass
Idiot Wind (Take 5) – with bass
Idiot Wind (Take 6) – with bass
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Rehearsal and Take 1) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 2) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 3) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 4) – with bass
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 5) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 6) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 6, Remake) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 7) – with band
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 8) – with band

Bob Dylan: vocals, guitar, harmonica
Eric Weissberg, Charles Brown III, Barry Kornfeld: guitars
Thomas McFaul: keyboards
Tony Brown: bass
Richard Crooks: drums
Buddy Cage: steel guitar (5-6)

DISC 3

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

Tangled Up in Blue (Take 1) – with bass

A & R Studios
New York
September 17, 1974

You’re a Big Girl Now (Take 1, Remake) – with bass and organ
You’re a Big Girl Now (Take 2, Remake) – with bass, organ, and steel guitar –included on Blood on the Tracks test pressing and previously released on Biograph
Tangled Up in Blue (Rehearsal) – with bass and organ
Tangled Up in Blue (Take 2, Remake) – with bass and organ
Spanish is the Loving Tongue (Take 1) – with bass and piano
Call Letter Blues (Rehearsal) – with bass and piano
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 1, Remake) – with bass and piano
Shelter From The Storm (Take 1) – with bass and piano – previously released on the Jerry McGuire original soundtrack
Buckets of Rain (Take 1) – with bass
Tangled Up in Blue (Take 3, Remake) – with bass
Buckets of Rain (Take 2) – with bass
Shelter From The Storm (Take 2) – with bass
Shelter From The Storm (Take 3) – with bass
Shelter From The Storm (Take 4) – with bass – previously released on Blood on the Tracks

Paul Griffin: keyboards (2-9)
Buddy Cage: steel guitar (3)

DISC 4

A & R Studios
New York
September 17, 1974

You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 1, Remake 2) – with bass
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 2, Remake 2) – with bass – previously released on Blood on the Tracks

A & R Studios
New York
September 18, 1974

Buckets of Rain (Take 1, Remake) – solo
Buckets of Rain (Take 2, Remake) – solo
Buckets of Rain (Take 3, Remake) – solo
Buckets of Rain (Take 4, Remake) – solo

A & R Studios
New York
September 19, 1974

Up to Me (Take 1, Remake) – with bass

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 3, 2022 19:27

Regarding "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" brought to mind a great cover of the song by Miley Cyrus. This woman knows how to do country. Check out her "The Backyard Sessions" on utoob. Here's her cover of "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome".

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 3, 2022 19:40

ukcal

MORE BLOOD, MORE TRACKS
6 CD Deluxe Edition

DISC 1

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

If You See Her, Say Hello (Take 2) – solo – previously released on The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3: Rare and Unreleased, 1961-1991
Up to Me (Take 1) – solo
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts (Take 2) – solo – included on Blood on the Tracks test pressing

DISC 2

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

Meet Me in the Morning (Take 1) – with band – edited version included on Blood on the Tracks test pressing and previously released on Blood on the Tracks
Call Letter Blues (Take 2) – with band – previously released on The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3: Rare and Unreleased, 1961-1991

DISC 3

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

A & R Studios
New York
September 17, 1974

You’re a Big Girl Now (Take 2, Remake) – with bass, organ, and steel guitar –included on Blood on the Tracks test pressing and previously released on Biograph
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 1, Remake) – with bass and piano
Shelter From The Storm (Take 1) – with bass and piano – previously released on the Jerry McGuire original soundtrack
Shelter From The Storm (Take 4) – with bass – previously released on Blood on the Tracks

DISC 4

A & R Studios
New York
September 17, 1974

You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 2, Remake 2) – with bass – previously released on Blood on the Tracks

A & R Studios
New York
September 18, 1974

A & R Studios
New York
September 19, 1974

I'm much more a Dylan than an Stones fan… but I have to admit that 'More Blood More Tracks' is the one of the rather boring Bootleg Series deluxe releases (not as boring as 'Another Self Portrait, of course). Reasons are: 1. 'More Blood' features no new original Dylan songs, 2. a hell lot of the songs on this release have already been officially released on BS 1-3 and on 'Biograph', 3. The 'Blood On The Tracks' session have already been widely bootlegged before, 4. When Dylan recorded 'Blood on the Tracks' he had a more or less clear idea what he wanted (although he changed his mind and rerecorded quite a few songs). Unlike in the 60s he didn't come with rather loose ideas to the sessions and write/finish the songs and lyrics in the studio
(please don't tell my friends on Expecting Rain what I wrote here…winking smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-03 19:41 by slewan.

Date: November 3, 2022 20:09

Doxa

- Doxa

I should be able to relate to it then, having been blindsided with a 2nd divorce this year, and finding myself aimlessly wandering for months in some of my darkest of places. Alas, the whole damn thing just didn't resonate with me.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: November 3, 2022 21:56

NashvilleBlues
Doxa

- Doxa

BOTT is clearly a dark album, but for me, Time Out of Mind is even darker. Bone-chilling.

Great thoughts, Doxa. BOTT is so powerful and relatable. I can understand why Bob doesn't like revisiting the feelings written there, though. It's still my favorite album of Bob's. It hurts so good.

I totally agree, NB. TOOM is a different kind of masterpiece. Written with the wisdom of decades of experience. Just think "It's not dark yet, but it's getting there" was written 25 years ago now and Bob still marches on. It's simply amazing.

Date: November 3, 2022 23:25

ukcal

MORE BLOOD, MORE TRACKS
6 CD Deluxe Edition

DISC 1

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

Up to Me (Take 1) – solo

DISC 2

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

DISC 3

A & R Studios
New York
September 16, 1974

A & R Studios
New York
September 17, 1974

DISC 4

A & R Studios
New York
September 17, 1974

A & R Studios
New York
September 18, 1974

A & R Studios
New York
September 19, 1974

Thanks smileys with beer

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 3, 2022 23:46

I have to put in a vote for "Love and Theft" as THE ultimate late era Dylan record. That album is like a juke box of musical styles from the 20th century, and while the different styles could create a jarring effect, the production gives it a tremendously clear and unified sound. Worth a listen.

Tea@3

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2022 02:39

NashvilleBlues

Agreed.

While Blood is indeed a dark masterpiece, Time Out of Mind will always be the one for me.

Blood on the Tracks was released when I was just 12 years old, and I didn't have that life experience to fully relate to it until much later.
Time Out of Mind on the other hand was released when I had just turned 34, and I happened to be in the midst of a turbulent relationship that ultimately dissolved.
That album spoke volumes to me, and still does. It's a tough one on many levels, but it's art at it's finest, and probably my all time favorite album by anyone for a variety of reasons.
When I revisit it today I'm right back there again...love sick...walking down that dirt road until my eyes begin to bleed...standing in the doorway crying with blues wrapped around my head...
still a million miles away...trying to get to heaven...and on and on...ultimately realizing my hearts in the highlands at the break of day, over the hills and far away....

Date: November 4, 2022 03:42

TeaAtThree
I have to put in a vote for "Love and Theft" as THE ultimate late era Dylan record. That album is like a juke box of musical styles from the 20th century, and while the different styles could create a jarring effect, the production gives it a tremendously clear and unified sound. Worth a listen.

Tea@3

Excellent choice. The vibe is a total 180 from TOOM, but very enjoyable. Maybe my favorite Dylan album of the new millennium.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home