Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 126
Re: Mick defends Dylan's singing
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 6, 2021 20:07

Sure, Doxa. I don't mind the fact that he can't sing (from a technical point of view) though. I can still enjoy his music. And you can't take away the fact that his voice is very characteristic.
And maybe there are folks out there who are into nasal singing? Who knows? Who thinks voice coaches talk about head voices or chest voices is utter nonsense?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2021 20:17

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
Those saying that Dylan can't sing is like saying that John Lee Hooker or Keith Richards can't play the guitar or Mick and Keith write music. Surely there are always some bloody Pavarottis, John McLaughins and Mozarts in the world to make a measure, but so what. I ask instead: where the hell do you need those terms 'sing' or 'know to play the guitar' or 'write music' if those dudes don't count? Probably wanking at home with semantics or something in order to create some artificial, elitistic hierarchy in music.

Mick's 'defence' was a spot on.

- Doxa

John McLaughlin cannot sing. cool smiley

I don't know, never heard of him singing. Nor Mozart for that matter.winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 6, 2021 20:31

Why is a nearly 20-year-old television interview a story now?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 6, 2021 20:34

MelBelli
Why is a nearly 20-year-old television interview a story now?

We're all here on a site for a band that peaked over 40 years ago. So, why not?

Date: May 6, 2021 20:50

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
Those saying that Dylan can't sing is like saying that John Lee Hooker or Keith Richards can't play the guitar or Mick and Keith write music. Surely there are always some bloody Pavarottis, John McLaughins and Mozarts in the world to make a measure, but so what. I ask instead: where the hell do you need those terms 'sing' or 'know to play the guitar' or 'write music' if those dudes don't count? Probably wanking at home with semantics or something in order to create some artificial, elitistic hierarchy in music.

Mick's 'defence' was a spot on.

- Doxa

John McLaughlin cannot sing. cool smiley

I don't know, never heard of him singing. Nor Mozart for that matter.winking smiley

- Doxa

I knew it . grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2021 20:57

Keith Richards isn't exactly Roy Orbison himself. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 6, 2021 22:16

[www.youtube.com] - Its Allright

[www.youtube.com] - One More Cup

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 6, 2021 23:29

bitusa2012
Stoneage
Well, Dylan can't sing. Or to put it like this - if Dylan can sing everyone else can.

Dylan CAN’T sing. But he’s an awesome, unique, wonderful VOCALIST

whoever says Dylan can't sing should listen to 'Shadows in the night' and how he sang that Sintra stuff live. Even if you don't like these songs it's still amazing how Dylan reinvented his voice, singing style, phrasing etc. to sind these songs

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 6, 2021 23:39

Date: May 7, 2021 00:20

slewan
bitusa2012
Stoneage
Well, Dylan can't sing. Or to put it like this - if Dylan can sing everyone else can.

whoever says Dylan can't sing should listen to 'Shadows in the night' and how he sang that Sintra stuff live. Even if you don't like these songs it's still amazing how Dylan reinvented his voice, singing style, phrasing etc. to sind these songs

Sure, he did his interpretation of these songs. Interesting and daring. I wonder what Frank would have thought of it though?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2021 00:36

Stoneage
slewan
bitusa2012
Stoneage

Sure, he did his interpretation of these songs. Interesting and daring. I wonder what Frank would have thought of it though?

Frank was a fan, and inivited Dylan to sing at his 80th Birthday bash.

From BobDylan.com - Q&A with Bill Flanagan

BillFlanagan: There is a famous story that you and Springsteen were invited to a dinner party at Sinatra’s house
around the time you did that TV tribute to him. Had you met him before? Did you feel like he knew your stuff?

Bob: Not really. I think he knew “The Times They Are a-Changin’” and “Blowin’ In the Wind.” I know he liked “Forever Young,” he told me that.
He was funny, we were standing out on his patio at night and he said to me, “You and me, pal, we got blue eyes, we’re from up there,” and he pointed to the stars.
“These other bums are from down here.” I remember thinking that he might be right.

BF: Everybody on that show did a Sinatra song except you. You sang “Restless Farewell.” How come?

Bob: Frank himself requested that I do it. One of the producers had played it for him and showed him the lyrics.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2021 04:12

Whenever someone goes off about how Dylan sucks as a singer, I bring up how he delivers his words, and have they heard him sing "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more."

He doesn't go over the top with it, it's just got enough of a poke to get the point across, and even if he didn't Dylan "lose" up, it would still be a phenomenal performance.

There's no need for being Pavarotti perfect when you can hear the ache and pain and life observations in the phrasing of the words which backs up why he says what he does. His delivery is exceptional, and with Dylan, that is a perfection, really, of many that he has as an artist. Sure, Dylan mumbles a lot, but then what singer doesn't do something a bit short-cutty or annoying at times.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 7, 2021 08:34

GasLightStreet
Whenever someone goes off about how Dylan sucks as a singer, I bring up how he delivers his words, and have they heard him sing "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more."

He doesn't go over the top with it, it's just got enough of a poke to get the point across, and even if he didn't Dylan "lose" up, it would still be a phenomenal performance.

There's no need for being Pavarotti perfect when you can hear the ache and pain and life observations in the phrasing of the words which backs up why he says what he does. His delivery is exceptional, and with Dylan, that is a perfection, really, of many that he has as an artist. Sure, Dylan mumbles a lot, but then what singer doesn't do something a bit short-cutty or annoying at times.

well said, Gaslight. You captured the man.

I last saw Dylan at Desert Trip. I enjoyed him.

plexi

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 7, 2021 08:52

Dylan sings his songs perfectly. That's why there are only a handful of GREAT Dylan covers. (Check out Elvis singing Tomorrow Is A Long Time). Neil Young is another. Not a great singer, except for HIS songs. Over the years I've noticed women are more likely to not like Dylan? Anyone else found this? Kind of like most women don't care for the Three Stooges.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 7, 2021 12:11

Hairball

From BobDylan.com - Q&A with Bill Flanagan

Ouch that image of Bob at 03.45. "Yup that Dylan boy is one of the all-time great American singers!" thumbs up

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 7, 2021 21:55

My two cents,Dylan is a great singer, he conveys emotion, is never flat or sharp, and rarely misses a note within his wordsmith. If you wanna say you don't like his voice, fine, but just don't confuse that with bad singing.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 7, 2021 22:19

I heard it said one time that "all of God's creatures sing. Some sound like songbirds and some sound like bullfrogs. But all sing beautifully if you are able to understand their song."

One may prefer the sound of one singer to another as it's subject to one's preference. But to say someone can't sing simply because one doesn't prefer the sound is, in my opinion, a far bigger statement on the listener than the singer.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 7, 2021 22:22

If you can't beat them, join them: Of course Dylan is a great singer. Singing through your nose is an art in itself, often taught by voice coaches.
Mumbling too is a noble feature of a great singer. Dylan can't do anything wrong since he is a master of all trades. A superman.
His name is fake though. That can't be disputed...

Date: May 8, 2021 00:35

His voice has changed over the years. In the early days he was at his best to my taste.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 8, 2021 09:48

If one don't get Dylan or his voice then there's no hope I'd say. His phrasing just to take an example has been brilliant since day 1.

The phrasing he does sometimes on for instance Soon After Midnight I could listen to all day.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 8, 2021 10:47

His phrasing and timing is phenomenal, I think. And he sings in tune, albeit what some people believe. Sometimes there is a certain colour in his voice that makes people think he's not singing in tune, but he is, all the time.

Considering his timing/phrasing and "swing", he's definetely up there with the greats, imo.

Date: May 8, 2021 11:31

Papo
His phrasing and timing is phenomenal, I think. And he sings in tune, albeit what some people believe. Sometimes there is a certain colour in his voice that makes people think he's not singing in tune, but he is, all the time.

Considering his timing/phrasing and "swing", he's definetely up there with the greats, imo.

AMEN Mate!smileys with beer

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 9, 2021 01:11

Here's some great upgraded video of Bob with the Grateful Dead in 1987 from Giants Stadium. (i was there)

Dylan & The Dead [4k Remaster] -1987 - 07 -12 --Set 3 -- {Pro-Shot} (Pearson Ultramatrix SBD)

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 14, 2021 03:41

BDC--Bob Dylan Center coming!!

[www.bobdylancenter.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2021 05:12

MadMax
Papo

AMEN Mate!smileys with beer

Yes I concur. And while not a traditional 'vocalist' his voice has character and he is very in tune.

OT: Happy 80th Bob!
Date: May 23, 2021 11:35

Raise a glass for his Bobness, 80 tomorrow!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-23 11:38 by MadMax.

Re: OT: Happy 80th Bob!
Date: May 23, 2021 11:37

I got it wrong, it's not today. How do this stupid guy remove this post BV?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 23, 2021 11:38

MadMax
Raise a glass for his Bobness, 80 today!smileys with beer

his birthday is tomorrow (May 24th)

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 23, 2021 16:06

I went into a restaurant lookin' for the cook
I told them I was the editor of a famous etiquette book
The waitress, he was handsome, he wore a powder-blue cape
I ordered some suzette, I said, "Could you please make that crepe"
Just then the whole kitchen exploded from boilin' fat
Food was flyin' everywhere, I left without my hat
Now, I didn't mean to be nosy, but I went into a bank
To get some bail for Arab and all the boys back in the tank
They asked me for some collateral and I pulled down my pants
They threw me in the alley, when up comes this girl from France
Who invited me to her house, I went, but she had a friend
Who knocked me out and robbed my boots and I was on the street again

Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream (snippet)

Posting some of my favorite lyrics just for the hell of it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2021 16:12

How many years must a mountain exist
Before it is washed to the sea?
And how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

Yes, and how many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home