Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 26, 2021 16:58

'1970' is a new 3-disc set, released by popular demand. It includes over 70 previously unreleased outtakes from the sessions that produced 'Self Portrait' and 'New Morning' plus the complete May 1, 1970 studio recordings with George Harrison, which capture the pair performing together on nine tracks

Yeah!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 26, 2021 17:21

NilsHolgersson

'1970' is a new 3-disc set, released by popular demand. It includes over 70 previously unreleased outtakes from the sessions that produced 'Self Portrait' and 'New Morning' plus the complete May 1, 1970 studio recordings with George Harrison, which capture the pair performing together on nine tracks

Yeah!

see: page 91 of this thread…

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 26, 2021 18:07

slewan
NilsHolgersson

Yeah!

Late january.. that's fake news

Date: February 26, 2021 18:54

NilsHolgersson
slewan
NilsHolgersson

Yeah!

Late january.. that's fake news

late January was the the release date that was mentioned when the release was announced

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:30

Could anyone dig out the song by song comments by Ben Rollins for the Complete Basement Tapes (6CD) collection? I thought I'd had it but can't seem to be able to locate it.
And it's gone from the www.
I'd appreciate it if someone could share it with me...
Thanks in advance.

Date: March 14, 2021 16:36

In other news, looks like the Infidels sessions will be the next Bootleg series - with plenty of Mick Taylor in there. Can't wait.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2021 19:21

MadMetaphoricalMax
In other news, looks like the Infidels sessions will be the next Bootleg series - with plenty of Mick Taylor in there. Can't wait.

Great news - glad to see Bob continuously releasing gems from the vaults...it's like the never ending bootleg series.
Some of it's great, and some maybe not so great, but it's always lurking waiting to be discovered, and it's never completely disappointing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 19:22 by Hairball.

Date: March 14, 2021 19:41

Hairball
MadMetaphoricalMax

Great news - glad to see Bob continuously releasing gems from the vaults...it's like the never ending bootleg series.
Some of it's great, and some maybe not so great, but it's always lurking waiting to be discovered, and it's never completely disappointing.

and the bootleg series are always very well curated (especially the deluxe editions)
I hope it's a rather huge box – I have to spend all the money I didn't spend concert tickets…

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 16, 2021 17:40

From the ISIS website:

"In my editorial in the new ISIS, I mentioned that “The Bootleg Series Vol. 16” would be with us in May/June 2021. Unfortunately, since sending the magazine to the printer, to quote Bob Dylan, “things have changed.” Originally planned for May, around the time of Dylan’s birthday, the release slipped to June but has now been re-schedulable for much later in the year and will appear nearer the more ‘usual’ period for “BS” releases."

[www.bobdylanisis.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 17, 2021 09:28

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2021 18:46

Cristiano Radtke
From the ISIS website:

"In my editorial in the new ISIS, I mentioned that “The Bootleg Series Vol. 16” would be with us in May/June 2021. Unfortunately, since sending the magazine to the printer, to quote Bob Dylan, “things have changed.” Originally planned for May, around the time of Dylan’s birthday, the release slipped to June but has now been re-schedulable for much later in the year and will appear nearer the more ‘usual’ period for “BS” releases."

[www.bobdylanisis.com]

Hmmm...darn it...it's going to be a long summer, but something to look forward to for next Fall.thumbs up

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: March 17, 2021 20:24

Rockman
yeah sorry to hear. guess she'll be buried next to albert. Actually stumbled onto his grave 10yrs. ago or so. Was in woodstock at bearsville theatre was walking around outside behind utopia studio-small plot back there. guy from the radio station in the studio let me & the wife in the studio! very cool-alot went on in there! A todd rundgren stalker friend of mine actually ran into Mick in apartment upstairs long time ago! thats another story!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2021 08:52

Oooowwww Pete good bank & roll ....slid around that one

Pete Townshend - MOJO 287 -- April 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 21, 2021 11:11

An interesting remark by Townshend - yet I would like to know which amazing act he is talking about. My impression is, that popular music has lost its relevance. There are good bands and musicians, but many people do not care about them as they used to.If one listens to the latest Grammy awards one will not find a lot of thrilling music. There are great new recordings in the classical, jazz and folk genres, but pop and rock are in a crisis, the glamour is gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 11:24 by windmelody.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 28, 2021 20:33

And the brand played on: Bob Dylan at 80

With a slew of books to mark the songwriter’s birthday due, we look at the industry that has grown up around the man who forced academia to take pop seriously

Scroll down for Q&As with the authors of four new Dylan books

by Neil Spencer

[www.theguardian.com]

Bob Dylan outside his Byrdcliffe home in Woodstock, New York, 1968. Photograph: ©Elliott Landy / Magnum Photos

Date: March 28, 2021 20:41

Funny - as far as Beatles, Stones, and all other classic rock artists, I always thought Dylan to be the elder statesman great granddaddy of them all age wise, but just realize Ringo is actually a bit older!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 28, 2021 20:46

slewan
Hairball
MadMetaphoricalMax

and the bootleg series are always very well curated (especially the deluxe editions)
I hope it's a rather huge box – I have to spend all the money I didn't spend concert tickets…

Infidels is such a great record, the sound and production especially. Summat to look forward to indeed!

Date: March 28, 2021 20:51

MadMax
slewan
Hairball
MadMetaphoricalMax

Infidels is such a great record, the sound and production especially. Summat to look forward to indeed!

Infidels is the best record Bob Dylan never released! (What he accturally released under that title is a pale shadow of what he had recorded)

OT: Bob Dylan live Letterman Show 1984
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2021 09:47

I really like this performance!
Have you got some anecdotes?!
What about the "Harmonica-Gate"?!!
Who are the members of this great band?

Jokerman
[youtu.be]

Soundcheck
[youtu.be]

Re: OT: Bob Dylan live Letterman Show 1984
Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: April 5, 2021 10:40

KRiffhard

Jokerman
[youtu.be]

Soundcheck
[youtu.be]

You're right, great version of Jokerman. His back-up band was the Plugz, a Latino punk band out of L.A. Drums-Charlie Quintana, bass-Tony Marsico and guitar- probably Steven Hufsteter but not certain.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 5, 2021 10:44

This is in my top 3 Letterman performances eversmileys with beer

Date: April 5, 2021 11:02

northof49
KRiffhard

Jokerman
[youtu.be]

Soundcheck
[youtu.be]

You're right, great version of Jokerman. His back-up band was the Plugz, a Latino punk band out of L.A. Drums-Charlie Quintana, bass-Tony Marsico and guitar- probably Steven Hufsteter but not certain.

Thanks!!!
He choose the Plugz only for that TV appearance?!

Date: April 5, 2021 11:16

A comment under the video:
"THE REALSTORY BEHIND “HARMONICA" -GATE”. I was the person who handed Bob Dylan the harmonica during this performance on David Letterman. My name is Ed and back in the day I worked for one of the biggest rock and roll production managers in the country Michael Ahern who in turn worked for Bill Graham.At the time Bill Graham was doing production for Bob Dylan. I got a call from Michael saying Dylan was appearing on the David Letterman show the following week ( I think it was a Thursday) and could I take care of his “back line duties “.Backline means setting up the drums, amps, guitars etc.and taking care of whatever technical needs the band might have. Bob was scheduled to perform two songs on the show that night. On the second song he told me to have a harmonica in a certain key sitting on his Marshall amplifier so he could pick it up and play it towards the end of the song.He used it and everything worked out perfectly. At that point I figured my job was pretty much over for the night, you know wait for the show to finish pack up the gear and go home. Then all of a sudden I was told ( by Bob’s son ) that Letterman asked Bob to do a third song to close the show and I should have a harmonica ready again. He said it should be in the key of D ( if I remember correctly). Now Bob’s son was still a teenager at this time and I was a little wary of the messenger so I took it upon myself to backstage to the dressing room to ask Bob personally. When I got there he was really busy speaking with friends and industry types and I said something to the effect of “ hey Bob your son said you need a harmonica in the key of D for the last song “. Bob turns to me and says “ ah yea that’s right “. So I figure great end of story , but no not end of story because Bob mistakenly ( because he was busy with his guests) told me “ah yea sure”. So I set up everything the way I was told and the third song started. Halfway through the song Bob takes off his guitar hands it to me picks up the harmonica starts blowing immediately stops looks left to me and says “what the @#$%& it’s the wrong key “. I say “what key do you need?”. He says “G”. I think to myself oh shit that harmonica is on the other side of the drums, so I go running (on camera) behind the drummer to fetch the right one. It took about twenty seconds but seemed like a @#$%& lifetime! After the song was over I turned to Bob and said “what happened what happened “ . He said “ I got mixed up “. All of a sudden Bob’s manager Mick Brigdon was all over me saying “ what the hell just happened?”. I said Bob asked for the wrong harp “. He said “ don’t you move, wait right here “. He came back two minutes later and said “never mind “. I started to pack up the gear thinking shit these guys are never going hire me again! A month later I got a call asking me if I would go on the up coming European Tour as his guitar tech"

The comment is from one "Henry Edwards".

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: April 5, 2021 11:45

northof49
KRiffhard

Jokerman
[youtu.be]

Soundcheck
[youtu.be]

Letterman Show, March 22, 1984

Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar)
with The Plugz:
Justin Poskin (guitar)
Tony Marsico (bass)
Charlie "Chalo" Quintana (drums)

1.Don't Start Me To Talkin'
2.License To Kill
3.Jokerman

Charlie Quintana later played in a band called the Havalinas, who opened for Dylan in Paris in 1990. In the spring and summer of 1992 Quintana played in Dylan's band.

Before the Letterman show Dylan and The Plugz rehearsed at Dylan's Malibu home (a 2 hrs + tape is circulating), so the myth that they played the Letterman show without any prior rehearsals is not true.

The soundcheck (or a part thereof) for the Letterman show was also filmed and is circulating as well.

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: April 5, 2021 12:50

I love that performance.
BTW, an article about how this came about with some stones connections: [www.vulture.com]
So it's Ronnie's Strat and Keith gets mentioned too

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 8, 2021 20:39

Fantastic cover of Jokerman

[www.youtube.com]

Built to Spill - Jokerman - Bob Dylan in the 80's

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 8, 2021 20:53

MrEcho

Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar)
with The Plugz:
Justin Poskin (guitar)
Tony Marsico (bass)
Charlie "Chalo" Quintana (drums)

1.Don't Start Me To Talkin'
2.License To Kill
3.Jokerman

Charlie Quintana later played in a band called the Havalinas, who opened for Dylan in Paris in 1990. In the spring and summer of 1992 Quintana played in Dylan's band.

Before the Letterman show Dylan and The Plugz rehearsed at Dylan's Malibu home (a 2 hrs + tape is circulating), so the myth that they played the Letterman show without any prior rehearsals is not true.

The soundcheck (or a part thereof) for the Letterman show was also filmed and is circulating as well.

It is JJ Holiday playing on guitar, also known as Jeff Poskin. He was not a member of Plugz. Check out the Imperial Crowns with JJ. You'll love it.

You can also find a clip on YT of JJ, his friend Johnny Depp and our beloved Keef jamming together...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 8, 2021 21:09

The Plugz were a great band that fell through the cracks. The Better Luck album is an overlooked gem.

[www.youtube.com]

It's too bad they never caught on. I thought they got watered down when they evolved into the Cruzados. (and re-recorded an inferior version of "Blue Sofa" on their Arista debut)

On May 24 Bob will turn 80.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: April 9, 2021 09:23

Going down Memory Lane This Morning Remembering Bob's 3 Night Stand in Prague April 7th,8th,9th 2019 At The Beautiful Lucerna Grand Hall....Looking Forward to his next Tour of Europe....And hard to believe Bob will be 80 Next Month...Take Care Everyone.Peace.M

Date: April 13, 2021 15:17

Uncut magazine comes with a CD that includes an unreleased Dylan song called 'It's to late'. Rumors say that this song is an early version of 'Foot of Pride'

[magazines.bandlabtechnologies.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home