Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2020 17:49

slewan
The 1970 copyright protection set is getting a proper release in late January –

Good thing but I found it goddamn awful! Funny to think that this genius (willingly?) produced more or less nothing worth remembering between 68 and 72.
If you compare this set to the Basement Tapes (1967) or the sublime complete "Blood On The Tracks" (1974) you can't help thinking "is this guy pulling our leg?". It's a bit like Kubrick shooting "Benny Hill" episodes after giving us "2001" and "A Clockwork Orange".

Very strange indeed! grinning smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 18, 2020 17:54

dcba
slewan

Good thing but I found it goddamn awful! Funny to think that this genius (willingly?) produced more or less nothing worth remembering between 68 and 72.
If you compare this set to the Basement Tapes (1967) or the sublime complete "Blood On The Tracks" (1974) you can't help thinking "is this guy pulling our leg?". It's a bit like Kubrick shooting "Benny Hill" episodes after giving us "2001" and "A Clockwork Orange".

True, that. Travelling Through, and now this 1970 compilation are the only Bootleg Series volumes I did not purchase, . ...together with Whitmark Years and Live 1964, but that's just me.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 18, 2020 19:39

Erik_Snow
dcba
slewan

True, that. Travelling Through, and now this 1970 compilation are the only Bootleg Series volumes I did not purchase, . ...together with Whitmark Years and Live 1964, but that's just me.

it's boring, of course (both of them), but Sony seems to think that there's a market. (and I do NOT pity the people who paid hundreds of Dollars for the 1970 copyright CDs)

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 18, 2020 20:17

slewan
The 1970 copyright protection set is getting a proper release in late January – see: [www.bobdylanisis.com]

Bob Dylan Preps Digital Release of 1970 George Harrison Sessions

[www.rollingstone.com

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 18, 2020 21:23

dcba
slewan

I think Another Self Portrait is fantastic! Proof that if he had wanted to release a great album of cover songs, he had already recorded it! Another Self Portrait, Nashville Skyline, New Morning, Travelling Through, All recorded between '68 & '70. I would say that was quite a productive period! Then a drought until '73. The tracks here with Harrison are essential, but if you are a Dylan fan you probably have had them for years. Unless New Morning is one of your favorite albums, the rest is interesting, but disposable.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 22, 2020 09:12

video: [www.youtube.com]

1970 on Feb 26, 2021 here in Japan.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-22 09:13 by Toru A.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 22, 2020 11:04

dcba
slewan

New Morning is a helluva album IMHO. Interesting writing, using new fun harmonies and a certain joyful feeling that seems to be all over the place. I think it's proper genius. Not a desert island album obviously, but certainly a fitting chilled out doing-the-dishes-in-the-morning album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-22 11:04 by MadMax.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2020 21:53

Max get yaself a decent dish washer and
chuck on Aftermath ... what a drag it is getting old

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 22, 2020 21:55

MadMax
dcba
slewan

New Morning is a helluva album IMHO. Interesting writing, using new fun harmonies and a certain joyful feeling that seems to be all over the place. I think it's proper genius. Not a desert island album obviously, but certainly a fitting chilled out doing-the-dishes-in-the-morning album.

I agree! I love the piano songs. Its a fun record for the most part, but seemed a little odd back in the day. A nice, quick rebound from Self Portrait, and It has aged wonderfully!

Date: December 22, 2020 23:36

Rockman
Max get yaself a decent dish washer and
chuck on Aftermath ... what a drag it is getting old

Wow Terry! That's almost exactly what the missus's been on about for the last couple of years! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2020 23:59

.... well that means she
knows a classic Stones album ...

Or maybe get paper plates and
chuck on Aftermath ...... You'll have more fun ..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2020 00:23

Yeah the paper plates are great, only the booze tastes much better with proper glasses, can't fathom how Keith sometimes sips on his Nuc Waste in those coloured plastic cups. As for the missus I've teached her the Big 4 + assorted stuff and all of Undercover. Haven't really gone through the pre-Beggars stuff with her yet. Live is of course another matter, she is forced to sit through the DVD's almost every weekend, very good for those Lisa-inspired moments may I addhot smiley

Date: December 23, 2020 14:42

Erik_Snow
Travelling Through, and now this 1970 compilation are the only Bootleg Series volumes I did not purchase

If TT had included 5 or 6 versions of AATW (all different... you know Bob can do it) that would have been a worthwhile purchase.

Date: December 23, 2020 15:14

dcba
Erik_Snow
Travelling Through, and now this 1970 compilation are the only Bootleg Series volumes I did not purchase

If TT had included 5 or 6 versions of AATW (all different... you know Bob can do it) that would have been a worthwhile purchase.

he could have done that, but he didn't do it.
In those days he didn't write his songs in the studio anymore but came to the studio with clear cut ideas and recorded the songs in a few takes.
Beside that I suppose Watchtower was just one song amongst others in those days. The song only became famous after Jimi Hendrix covered it. Had he instead released Drifter's Escape (which he in fact recorded, too) on Electric Ladyland most people might not remember Watchtower at all (and Dylan himself would have done Drifter's instead of Watchtower 1000+ times in concert)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 15:20 by slewan.

Date: December 23, 2020 19:58

slewan

Beside that I suppose Watchtower was just one song amongst others in those days. The song only became famous after Jimi Hendrix covered it. Had he instead released Drifter's Escape (which he in fact recorded, too) on Electric Ladyland most people might not remember Watchtower at all (and Dylan himself would have done Drifter's instead of Watchtower 1000+ times in concert)

Interesting point but I still do think AATW is 100 more powerful than anything else on JWH (and Bob's last great track till 1973's "Heaven's Door" which marked his "recovery" as a major creative force).

J.H. cover or not it's a stand-out timeless song. The mysterious cryptic lyrics, the bare-bone haunting harmonica intro, the song that comes and goes so quickly (it's only 2.30!!!!) really make it special.
Remember "Watchmen" the comic book not the film : Alan Moore quoted [the lyrics] at the end of one episode. He certainly wished he had written lines so powerful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 10:33 by dcba.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 24, 2020 08:31

dcba
slewan

Interesting point but I still do think AATW is 100 more powerful than anything else on JWH (and Bob's last great track till 1973's "Heaven's Door" which marked his "recovery" as a major creative force).

J.H. cover or not it's a stand-out timeless song. The mysterious cryptic lyrics, the bare-bone haunting harmonica intro, the song that comes and goes so quickly (it's only 2.30!!!!) really make it special.
Remember "Watchmen" the comic book not the film : Alan Moore quoted at the end of one episode. He certainly wished he had written lines so powerful.

Absolutely agree with you.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 24, 2020 18:31

slewan
dcba
Erik_Snow

In those days he didn't write his songs in the studio anymore but came to the studio with clear cut ideas and recorded the songs in a few takes.

'John Wesley Harding' topped the UK album charts for 13 weeks and reached #2 in the Billboard charts despite having no singles or live appearances to promote it. I guess someone out there listened to 'All Along The Watchtower'

Date: December 24, 2020 18:54

Gazza
slewan
dcba
Erik_Snow

'John Wesley Harding' topped the UK album charts for 13 weeks and reached #2 in the Billboard charts despite having no singles or live appearances to promote it. I guess someone out there listened to 'All Along The Watchtower'

people where so hungry for anything by Dylan in those days that bought everything by him. And don't forget: JWH was his first new record after the 1966 world tour, his motorcycle crash and after he had disappeared from the public for some 1,5 years

Date: December 24, 2020 20:54

Then I guess you're agreeing with me. The song was very well known before Hendrix covered it ten months later.

No Dylan album had been as commercially successful as JWH to that point and whilst he's had bigger selling albums since, none have had the same chart success as that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 20:55 by Gazza.

Date: December 24, 2020 21:28

Gazza
Then I guess you're agreeing with me. The song was very well known before Hendrix covered it ten months later.

No Dylan album had been as commercially successful as JWH to that point and whilst he's had bigger selling albums since, none have had the same chart success as that one.

no, not really…
in 1968 people would have bought any new Dylan album – not matter what kind songs it featured. Even an album featuring him just on flute would have been a huge success!
People on cold turkey tend to buy anythings that becomes available

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 21:29 by slewan.

Date: December 27, 2020 17:36

btw: here's a nice collection of live versions of all JHW songs (minus those two that have never been performed live)
[borntolisten.com]

Date: February 1, 2021 14:07

Terrible news for Dylan fans :

[www.prosoundnetwork.com]

Yup someone has saved the studio tapes for the "Empire Burlesque" & "Knocked Out Loaded" from decay.
What a pity... grinning smiley

Date: February 1, 2021 16:00

dcba
Terrible news for Dylan fans :

[www.prosoundnetwork.com]

Yup someone has saved the studio tapes for the "Empire Burlesque" & "Knocked Out Loaded" from decay.
What a pity... grinning smiley

What a sadist!

Seriously though, the 'raw' sessions for Empire Burlesque are quite good, proving there was a decent album there before Arthur Baker ruined it. Mikal Gilmore has also mentioned being present at a session for KoL which featured some very good songs that have never even been bootlegged, let alone released.

KoL and Down In the Groove largely reek of 'contractual obligation'. Dylan clearly either didnt give a f**k about what he was putting put around then or his sense of quality control had gone down the toilet. There's a potentially decent Bootleg Series for that 1983-88 era which might see it evaluated differently

Date: February 1, 2021 17:09

Gazza

There's a potentially decent Bootleg Series for that 1983-88 era which might see it evaluated differently

In the meantime Captain Acid's rework of the (bootlegged) raw tapes is a good compromise :
[iorr.org]

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 6, 2021 16:56

Restored audience recording of Dylan's unreleased afternoon appearance at the Concert For Bangladesh in New York in 1971, speed- and pitch-corrected:

[we.tl]

Bonus: the two songs that were broadcast on the radio (also speed-/pitch-corrected).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-06 17:03 by MrEcho.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 6, 2021 18:39

[www.youtube.com]
Lucinda Williams - NOT DARK YET (Bob Dylan Cover)

nice cover

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 6, 2021 19:51

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]
Lucinda Williams - NOT DARK YET (Bob Dylan Cover)

nice cover

smileys with beer
Revisiting her Salt Of The Earth cover as well.
[www.youtube.com]

In keeping the post Dylan related.. her now regular guitarist, Stuart Mathis, also a member of The Wallflowers.

Date: February 9, 2021 22:11

[www.youtube.com]

Bob Dylan live with Al Kooper - Man In The Long Black Coat, 1996 Liverpool

nice version.

Date: February 9, 2021 22:13

[www.youtube.com]

Bob Dylan - Love Minus Zero/No Limit (Live 1971) Rare Footage- MSG

great vocals by Bob

Posted by: quarkie ()
Date: February 17, 2021 19:00

[www.youtube.com]

there are some good videos by Lucinda Williams

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home