Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2020 19:34

floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage
Seems the expanded edition of Tell Tale Signs (CD edition) is available for $40 on Amazon (US)

where? Link?

Nowhere to be seen on Amazon (US)- floodonthepage must be confusing it with the something else.

No Hairball, I am not...look harder.

[www.amazon.com]

and now it appears to be $54.
Bought one yesterday for $40 though...$47 with tax.

I did see that - there's no product info. in that link, it's from an Amazon marketplace (Planet Bookstore), and I assumed it was the two cd set, but looking closer at cover it does say "expanded edition" - nice find.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 26, 2020 20:12

Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage
Seems the expanded edition of Tell Tale Signs (CD edition) is available for $40 on Amazon (US)

where? Link?

Nowhere to be seen on Amazon (US)- floodonthepage must be confusing it with the something else.

[www.amazon.com]

I did see that - there's no product info. in that link, it's from an Amazon marketplace (Planet Bookstore), and I assumed it was the two cd set, but looking closer at cover it does say "expanded edition" - nice find.

It sounds way too good to be true. I'm just wondering if the photo was a stock image and what they are actually selling is to Two-Disc version.

Let us know what it is when you get it.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 26, 2020 23:29

loog droog
Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

[www.amazon.com]

It sounds way too good to be true. I'm just wondering if the photo was a stock image and what they are actually selling is to Two-Disc version.

Yeah, I thought about that too. You never know with the marketplace. Even regular Amazon listings can have wrong photos and certainly wrong reviews (i.e. reviewing a different edition) but considering the 2 CD set is priced at around $18 if you back out of that marketplace link, this seemed legit. If not, can always return, but I can see a 3CD set listing for $40-50 minus all the other things that came with the more expensive edition on Dylan's site when it was initially released (i.e. the 7", poster, etc.)

I will certainly let you know when I get it.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 27, 2020 00:28

Listened again... wow. One of the best this year.

Date: June 27, 2020 01:37

floodonthepage
loog droog
Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

[www.amazon.com]

Yeah, I thought about that too. You never know with the marketplace. Even regular Amazon listings can have wrong photos and certainly wrong reviews (i.e. reviewing a different edition) but considering the 2 CD set is priced at around $18 if you back out of that marketplace link, this seemed legit. If not, can always return, but I can see a 3CD set listing for $40-50 minus all the other things that came with the more expensive edition on Dylan's site when it was initially released (i.e. the 7", poster, etc.)

After posting my above reply this morning, I went back and noticed there was only "1 New" available at $54.68 (+shipping and tax) from Planet Bookstore > Tell Tale Signs
Thought it might be a nice gift for someone, or to even to have a brand new back up for myself at a decent price if it is indeed the 3cd Expanded Deluxe w/hardcover book, etc.
But being a bit skeptical and thinking it's too good to be true also, I went ahead and sent a message to them asking what the actual product details are. This was the reply I just received:

You have received a message from the Amazon Seller - Planet Bookstore
Thank you so much for contacting Planet Bookstore. Since the books are in our warehouses, they also get prepared for shipment there. Therefore I am not able to forward such inquiry.
I sincerely apologize for not being able to fulfill your request.

Best Regards,
Tracey

So the mystery remains, and needless to say I won;t be ordering it as it's either a stock image and is really just the two cd version, or best case scenario it's the actual 3cd expanded deluxe edition...
Maybe Planet Bookstore is in the process of clearing out some of their surplus merch due to the corona crisis - I've noticed some other sellers on ebay and Amazon marketplace clearing the decks.

Whatever the case, looking forward to you letting us know floodonthepage - if it the true 3cd and the one and only remaining copy is still available, I'll try and snap it up asap unless some else does before me.
And hoping for your sake it's the real deal...I think you'll be mighty pleased if it is, I know I was back when it was first released even at twice the price.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 27, 2020 03:56

Into my second listen. Anyone out there think Crosseyed Heart compares favorably to Rough and Rowdy Ways? Favorite song so far is Black Rider. thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 27, 2020 04:39

Digging the Jimmy Reed song.

Date: June 27, 2020 05:05

Hairball
floodonthepage
loog droog
Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

[www.amazon.com]

After posting my above reply this morning, I went back and noticed there was only "1 New" available at $54.68 (+shipping and tax) from Planet Bookstore > Tell Tale Signs
Thought it might be a nice gift for someone, or to even to have a brand new back up for myself at a decent price if it is indeed the 3cd Expanded Deluxe w/hardcover book, etc.
But being a bit skeptical and thinking it's too good to be true also, I went ahead and sent a message to them asking what the actual product details are. This was the reply I just received:

Thank you so much for contacting Planet Bookstore. Since the books are in our warehouses, they also get prepared for shipment there. Therefore I am not able to forward such inquiry.

Best Regards,
Tracey

So the mystery remains, and needless to say I won;t be ordering it as it's either a stock image and is really just the two cd version, or best case scenario it's the actual 3cd expanded deluxe edition...
Maybe Planet Bookstore is in the process of clearing out some of their surplus merch due to the corona crisis - I've noticed some other sellers on ebay and Amazon marketplace clearing the decks.

Whatever the case, looking forward to you letting us know floodonthepage - if it the true 3cd and the one and only remaining copy is still available, I'll try and snap it up asap unless some else does before me.
And hoping for your sake it's the real deal...I think you'll be mighty pleased if it is, I know I was back when it was first released even at twice the price.

Ha! Funny, I did the same thing (writing to Planet Bookstore) due to the lack of details...and they gave me the same response! I just figured worst case I return it and best case I have it! I got the 1971-2006 singles box for cheap through the marketplace...but then again...there aren't multiple versions of that one. Anyway, you have me thinking I'm too trusting of product images! Well, again, worst case I return it.

Date: June 27, 2020 05:20

I've never had a problem ordering anything from the marketplace. In fact many times the prices are less expensive, and in this case, Planet Bookstore has 13,458 total ratings (85% positive), so they are legit.
But the fact there's no detailed product info. on this item - even when they're asked directly - raises a bit of concern. Anyhow, worth a gamble I suppose, and you can always get a refund if need be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-27 05:21 by Hairball.

Date: June 27, 2020 08:52

From the BBC - Bob Dylan and Neil Young
Bob Dylan's 39th album Rough And Rowdy Ways makes UK chart history
By Mark Savage BBC music reporter

26 June 2020

Bob Dylan has become the oldest artist to reach number one in the UK charts with an album of new material. The singer-songwriter's 39th album, Rough And Rowdy Ways, made its debut at the top with 34,000 chart sales, including 29,000 purchased on CD.At the age of 79, Dylan surpasses Paul Simon, who was 74 when his album Stranger To Stranger went to number one in 2016. The oldest artist overall to reach the summit was the late Dame Vera Lynn. The Forces' Sweetheart was 92 when she hit the top spot in 2009 with her greatest hits collection We'll Meet Again. Her centenary album 100 has now re-entered the top 20 following her death last week. Rough And Rowdy Ways is Dylan's first batch of new songs in eight years. It was met with rave reviews last week, with Rolling Stone calling it "one of his most timely albums ever" and The Guardian describing it as "a testament to his eternal greatness". The BBC's Will Gompertz said it was a perfect example of how an artist in their 70s could continue to be relevant.

The Nobel Prize winner was closely followed on this week's chart by fellow septuagenarian Neil Young, whose latest record Homegrown landed at number two. "It's an extraordinary achievement by Bob Dylan and Neil Young," said Martin Talbot, managing director of the Official Charts Company. "I imagine they didn't really expect to be topping the charts together [in 2020] when they first started out over 50 years ago. "Rock and roll is basically getting older. The artists from the early days of modern popular music are in their 70s and when Bob Dylan puts a record out now, there's always going to be interest in it." Dylan and Young both sold particularly well on physical formats like vinyl and CD, which accounted for 85% of their sales, compared with 38% for the rest of the albums in the top 10. "Fans of Bob Dylan and Neil Young were raised in that era in the '60s and '70s when you'd go down to your record shop and pick up your vinyl album and leaf through it and read the liner notes," Talbot told the BBC. "They still want that tactile, personal, physical experience."

Elsewhere in the charts, Lady Gaga's Chromatica dropped to number three, followed by Lewis Capaldi's Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent and Harry Styles's Fine Line.

UK albums chart - 26 June 2020

1) Rough And Rowdy Ways Bob Dylan
2) Homegrown Neil Young

3) Chromatica Lady Gaga
4) Divinely Uninspired... Lewis Capaldi
5) Fine Line Harry Styles
Source: Official Charts Company

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: June 27, 2020 17:17

floodonthepage
Hairball
floodonthepage
loog droog
Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

[www.amazon.com]

Best Regards,
Tracey

Ha! Funny, I did the same thing (writing to Planet Bookstore) due to the lack of details...and they gave me the same response! I just figured worst case I return it and best case I have it! I got the 1971-2006 singles box for cheap through the marketplace...but then again...there aren't multiple versions of that one. Anyway, you have me thinking I'm too trusting of product images! Well, again, worst case I return it.

I bought one, too. Will report back upon its arrival...

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 30, 2020 21:39

Well, I get into trouble, then I hit the wall
No place to turn, no place at all
I'll pick a number between one and two
And I ask myself, "What would Julius Caesar do?"
I will bring someone to life in more ways than one
Don't matter how long it takes, it'll be done when it's done

His Bobness weighing in on the new Stones album?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: June 30, 2020 22:16

thkbeercan
floodonthepage
Hairball
floodonthepage
loog droog
Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

[www.amazon.com]

Best Regards,
Tracey

It arrived today...unfortunately was the usual 2 CD version, which I am returning.....I knew it was too good to be true...

Date: June 30, 2020 23:18

thkbeercan
thkbeercan
floodonthepage
Hairball
floodonthepage
loog droog
Hairball
floodonthepage
Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

[www.amazon.com]

Best Regards,
Tracey

It arrived today...unfortunately was the usual 2 CD version, which I am returning.....I knew it was too good to be true...

Yep, worth a shot though! Evidently all of the Disc 3 songs are available on iTunes, so I can purchase there and burn to disc, which I should have done in the first place.How did I not know about this.
UPDATE: On further review, looks like iTunes doesn't have the 3rd disc either, though they did have it years ago. Oh well, I may not have listened to it much anyway! I've bought things, even special edition things that I still haven't gotten around to hearing. Alas.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 19:31 by floodonthepage.

Date: July 1, 2020 01:25

Thanks for the heads up - indeed it was too good to be true, and looks like no one will be getting a gift from me now, nor will I have a brand new back up copy!
Seems I better take extra good care of my original 3 disk deluxe - as I mentioned previously it costs an arm and a leg now on ebay, etc.
And have to say that disk 3 is quite a doozy filled with greatness (just like disk one and two), and it might even be my favorite - a shame none of it's available anywhere at all.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 1, 2020 20:14

All the lyrics for “Rough and Rowdy Ways” are now published on BobDylan.com

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 2, 2020 01:22

Cristiano Radtke
My guess was based on the fact that Bob seems to be a History geek (the Titanic connection, the battle of Balinalee, or this Antoin Ó Raifteirí poem - all of them unbeknownst to me so far - thanks, Bob!). On any case, both you and me now heard about this place. grinning smiley

Cristiano Radtke

Now that we have the official spelling ("Bally-Na-Lee") it looks very much like Cristiano had got it right!

Date: July 2, 2020 06:10

doitywoik
Cristiano Radtke
My guess was based on the fact that Bob seems to be a History geek (the Titanic connection, the battle of Balinalee, or this Antoin Ó Raifteirí poem - all of them unbeknownst to me so far - thanks, Bob!). On any case, both you and me now heard about this place. grinning smiley

Cristiano Radtke

Now that we have the official spelling ("Bally-Na-Lee") it looks very much like Cristiano had got it right!

That's the end of the 'mystery'! grinning smiley

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: July 14, 2020 22:59

Has anyone who pre-ordered the LP from the official store received it yet? I haven’t even gotten notice that it’s been shipped. Been waiting for a week for a reply to my email about a defective shirt I bought at the same time too, not thrilled about the bob Dylan store customer service so far.

Posted by: Snab ()
Date: July 15, 2020 18:16

I have not received shipping notification. Not sure what the issue is.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 15, 2020 23:07

I still can't believe that on Dylan's website it says False Prophet, written by Bob Dylan.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 19, 2020 00:53

Madcap
Has anyone who pre-ordered the LP from the official store received it yet? I haven’t even gotten notice that it’s been shipped. Been waiting for a week for a reply to my email about a defective shirt I bought at the same time too, not thrilled about the bob Dylan store customer service so far.

I got the notification 2 days ago. Not yet in my hands but hopefully soon.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: July 19, 2020 11:26

MartinB
I still can't believe that on Dylan's website it says False Prophet, written by Bob Dylan.

I agree... same goes with "Beyond The Horizon", which has been more than just inspired by "Red Sails In The Sunset".

Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter of the 20th century, but he should give credit to other authors when it is so obviously due.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2020 20:04

TIRED
MartinB

I agree... same goes with "Beyond The Horizon", which has been more than just inspired by "Red Sails In The Sunset".

Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter of the 20th century, but he should give credit to other authors when it is so obviously due.

It just looks better with all songs on the album saying "written by Bob Dylan".

Date: September 15, 2020 03:57

Dylan recorded a new episode for his Theme Time Radio Hour show titled "Whiskey". It will be aired on Sept. 24, at 23.00 (German time).

[www.radioeins.de]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2020 05:05

new episode for his Theme Time Radio Hour show titled "Whiskey".

HHHHmmmm I wonder why ... the robber whispered to the thief

The label design of Mr. Dylan’s whiskeys is
derived from the singer’s ironwork sculptures.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 15, 2020 05:35

So he is knocking back some heaven's door?

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2020 06:02

Everybody's sellin something ....

But hey jb ya didnt tell us about this one .... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 20, 2020 16:22

Reprint of a 1999 article in the New Yorker today...

[www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: September 21, 2020 00:20

video: [www.spin.com] Its whiskey time. Here is 3 snippets from monday show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home