Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: June 20, 2020 22:48

I don't want to think of a world without Dylan. Man is genious.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 21, 2020 01:41

The guy is a true genius endlessly fascinating and this latest work is simply stunning.The greatest songwriter on the planet bar none.

Nate

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2020 17:23

TooTough
Gazza
astonishing stuff. I cant go to bed because I'm playing 'Key west' on repeat.
The best Dylan song since 'Not Dark Yet', perhaps.

Or since Sugar Baby...perhaps grinning smiley

Great song, yes. Although my favourites on 'L&T' are 'High Water' followed by 'Floater'

New album is up there with L&T and Time out of Mind as the best Dylan studio album of the last four decades, with 'Oh Mercy' rounding out the top four. It's a bit early to tell but it be the best of the lot of them.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:16

Can i say that this album is a little bit boring or it's a crime?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 19:17 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:18

KRiffhard
Of course it is no crime.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:51

windmelody
KRiffhard
Of course it is no crime.

That's right - it might be slightly sacrilege to say that ( winking smiley ), but definitely no crime.
Now go hide in a cave KRiffhard, give yourself a nice flogging, and eat only bread and water until you can see the light haha....

As for me, as always is the case with new/original Dylan, there's so much to take in, absorb, digest, and dissect piece by piece (especially lyrically), and at this point can only say I'm generally stunned with the greatness.
Can't pick a favorite tune as I consider each a chapter in the Rough and Rowdy book, but listening to My Own Version of You several times last night... lyrically fantastic, and the band and the music itself is mesmerizing...
While Time Out of Mind has always been my favorite latter day album (and always will), this has quickly become my second favorite of this era, and no doubt will always be a part of me and a time capsule of Summer 2020.

PS - Thanks to everyone who posted all of the lyrics - there's PLENTY more to take in, absorb, digest, and dissect piece by piece. thumbs up

"Should I break it all down, should I fall on my knees
Is there light at the end of the tunnel, can you tell me please"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 19:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 21, 2020 20:45

You have to Forget about the two chord melodies and everything else comes and truly another great listening experience and another masterpiece

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 21, 2020 22:44

Gazza
TooTough
Gazza
astonishing stuff. I cant go to bed because I'm playing 'Key west' on repeat.
The best Dylan song since 'Not Dark Yet', perhaps.

Or since Sugar Baby...perhaps grinning smiley

Great song, yes. Although my favourites on 'L&T' are 'High Water' followed by 'Floater'

New album is up there with L&T and Time out of Mind as the best Dylan studio album of the last four decades, with 'Oh Mercy' rounding out the top four. It's a bit early to tell but it be the best of the lot of them.

We should not forget the stunning bootleg series Tell Tale Signs
1989-2006 box, with a fascinating different version of Someday Baby.
Unbelievable that he has an idea for a song, and ends up with
totally different versions of the song, each with a new structure, which is
practically a different song...thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 21, 2020 22:57

I agree with the assessment of Tell Tale Signs.

It is one of my favorite albums not just by Bob...but by anybody!

That a track as great as "Red River Shore" ended up on an album of unreleased outtakes is beyond belief.

I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I thought it of interest:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 22, 2020 00:36

Tell Tale Signs...no doubt one of the best compilations ever - I even sprung for the (overpriced) 3 disk Deluxe version which included a neat Theme Time Radio Hour poster (for the first 5,000 pre-orders),
a book of Dylan singles art, a 7" vinyl single, and of course the third disk filled with more greatness. > Tell Tale Signs

If memory serves it cost around $100+ give or take (?), but now it's impossible to find anywhere these days without spending an arm and a leg...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 22, 2020 00:51

I'm glad I got that one too while it was available. One of the top 5 "bootleg series" releases. And the additional disc, compared to the 2CD feature some of the best stuff there.

Date: June 22, 2020 19:12

ted by: Hairball ()

Tell Tale Signs...no doubt one of the best compilations ever - I even sprung for the (overpriced) 3 disk Deluxe version which included a neat Theme Time Radio Hour poster (for the first 5,000 pre-orders),
a book of Dylan singles art, a 7" vinyl single, and of course the third disk filled with more greatness. > Tell Tale Signs

Yes that series best - The powerful up tempo acoustic version of Most of the Time is fantastic.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 22, 2020 21:23

Horribly, I never got the 3rd disc (Tell Tale Signs)...maybe one day I will find a copy.

Eventually, I will get to hear vol 10, 11, 13, 14 & 15. I would guess like many people, that first 1-3 set just hooked us on every release since...the more robust the better.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 22, 2020 22:16

I don't really have anything worthwhile to say here - but the album is just utterly incredible, and the man is a genius.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 22, 2020 22:53

OpenG
ted by: Hairball ()

Yes that series best - The powerful up tempo acoustic version of Most of the Time is fantastic.

thumbs up
[youtu.be]

Date: June 22, 2020 23:14

That series is truly a masterpiece with songs from Oh Mercy, Time Out Mind, Love and Theft and Modern Times - That’s s career for most bands if they achieve those results which only a few get close

Date: June 22, 2020 23:15

Bastion
I don't really have anything worthwhile to say here - but the album is just utterly incredible, and the man is a genius.

Well said. Fantastic album.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 22, 2020 23:47

Oh my, that sped up Most Of The Time sure is nice...oh my...

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 25, 2020 04:45

typically enlightening dylanology from the wonderful greil marcus:

[lareviewofbooks.org]

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: June 25, 2020 10:07

Nate
The guy is a true genius endlessly fascinating and this latest work is simply stunning.The greatest songwriter on the planet bar none.

Nate

He's first among equals
Second to none
The last of the best
You can bury the rest

winking smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 25, 2020 10:24

Having attended the most memorable concert at Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Germany, on the Zeppelinfeld on July 1, 1978, I am still waiting for another live compilation from that tour besides the Budokan Album. IMO this was a great tour, so different from the legendary 1974 tour, and Dylan invented himself anew.

Like for instante the live versions of Mindight rambler from Leeds 1971 and Brussels 1973 I do not want to miss either the 1974 tour nor the 1978 tour from Dylan's carreer.

For the Nuremberg concert see

[expectingrain.com]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 25, 2020 10:40

KRiffhard
Can i say that this album is a little bit boring or it's a crime?![/quote

I LOVED the record for a day or two. Lyrically it IS MAJESTIC. Now - I totally agree with you. Musically it's as dull as bath water. It's LAZY.

So, I'll download, print and marvel at the lyrics. I'll put them in my Dylan's LYRICS book. And I'll put the album aside.

Rod

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: June 25, 2020 12:57

My friend, co-worker, colleague Greg Katz died on Tuesday and I thought I would share a Dylan story he told me (hopefully I have it all correct).

Greg was a huge Dylan fan (as well as having a home in Westport, Connecticut, and always telling me how he would see Keith around town).

Anyway, he told me this story last year when the Rolling Thunder Revue CD box set came out. At that time, Greg was a student at the University of Vermont and the revue came to Burlington.

But besides being a huge Dylan fan (and Yankees and cigars and other things), he was an aspiring writer. So he walked into a bar in Burlington and there was Dylan having a drink with fellow Revue performer Allen Ginsberg.

Greg walked up to the pair and Dylan turned away, ready to foil an attempt from a fan to have a chat or get an autograph. But Greg wanted to talk to Ginsberg, and he came armed with some stories he had written. So he spoke to Ginsberg for a few minutes and gave him some of his writings, ignoring Dylan.

Ginsberg, if I remember correctly, eventually got back in touch via mail to offer some advice.

I downloaded a pretty poor audience recording of that Burlington show last year and gave it to Greg (as well as the digital files for Rolling Thunder box set). I hope he enjoyed it, and I really hope he had time to listen to the new Dylan album before he passed away. I sent him a download of it last week on email, but I didn't hear back from me, making me think the worst.

Sadly, the worst came.

Here is an obit of Greg.
[apnews.com]
RIP My friend.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 25, 2020 13:57

ChrisL
My friend, co-worker, colleague Greg Katz died on Tuesday and I thought I would share a Dylan story he told me (hopefully I have it all correct).

Greg was a huge Dylan fan (as well as having a home in Westport, Connecticut, and always telling me how he would see Keith around town).

Anyway, he told me this story last year when the Rolling Thunder Revue CD box set came out. At that time, Greg was a student at the University of Vermont and the revue came to Burlington.

But besides being a huge Dylan fan (and Yankees and cigars and other things), he was an aspiring writer. So he walked into a bar in Burlington and there was Dylan having a drink with fellow Revue performer Allen Ginsberg.

Greg walked up to the pair and Dylan turned away, ready to foil an attempt from a fan to have a chat or get an autograph. But Greg wanted to talk to Ginsberg, and he came armed with some stories he had written. So he spoke to Ginsberg for a few minutes and gave him some of his writings, ignoring Dylan.

Ginsberg, if I remember correctly, eventually got back in touch via mail to offer some advice.

I downloaded a pretty poor audience recording of that Burlington show last year and gave it to Greg (as well as the digital files for Rolling Thunder box set). I hope he enjoyed it, and I really hope he had time to listen to the new Dylan album before he passed away. I sent him a download of it last week on email, but I didn't hear back from me, making me think the worst.

Sadly, the worst came.

Here is an obit of Greg.
[apnews.com]
RIP My friend.

RIP

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 25, 2020 18:52

Seems the expanded edition of Tell Tale Signs (CD edition) is available for $40 on Amazon (US)

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 25, 2020 22:17

floodonthepage
Seems the expanded edition of Tell Tale Signs (CD edition) is available for $40 on Amazon (US)

where? Link?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 25, 2020 23:07

TooTough
We should not forget the stunning bootleg series Tell Tale Signs
1989-2006 box, with a fascinating different version of Someday Baby.

Original:
[www.youtube.com]

Unavailable on YouTube unfortunately, but for those who
don´t know it, you get the idea here:

Alternate:
[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 26, 2020 00:38

slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

Nowhere to be seen on Amazon (US)- floodonthepage must be confusing it with the something else.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 26, 2020 08:44

Rough and Rowdy Ways is the current #1 in the UK charts.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 26, 2020 18:02

Hairball
slewan
floodonthepage

where? Link?

Nowhere to be seen on Amazon (US)- floodonthepage must be confusing it with the something else.

No Hairball, I am not...look harder.

[www.amazon.com]

and now it appears to be $54.
Bought one yesterday for $40 though...$47 with tax.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-26 18:14 by floodonthepage.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home