Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7475767778798081828384...LastNext
Current Page: 79 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 31, 2020 22:17

Hairball
So it doesn't quite look like the journalist himself is being lazy by saying it's better than anything on Tempest, but he's simply stating that's what other people are saying - and I happen to be one of those people.

While reading the Guardian review, I didn’t get the impression that the “journo” was either lazy or ignorant. On the contrary, I felt he was quite informed and spot on in general, if not entirely.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 1, 2020 13:51

RisingStone
Hairball
So it doesn't quite look like the journalist himself is being lazy by saying it's better than anything on Tempest, but he's simply stating that's what other people are saying - and I happen to be one of those people.

While reading the Guardian review, I didn’t get the impression that the “journo” was either lazy or ignorant. On the contrary, I felt he was quite informed and spot on in general, if not entirely.

Alexis Petredis is the UK Guardian's main writer when it comes to music album reviews and interviews. I would say he is a standard above many of his contemporaries who write for Music journals or Rolling Stone, for example.
I believe he co- wrote the Elton John book which I am sure got some very favourable reviews.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 1, 2020 14:00

Hairball wrote: "Thanks MadMax.

The same way Tempest is close to you, Time Out of Mind is close to me. When it was released, I was going through a rough patch with a previous relationship (which ultimately ended), and that album became the soundtrack for that entire period. It was all right there - from the first chilling notes and lines of Love Sick:

"I'm walking, through streets that are dead..."

To the final peace of mind and resignation of Highlands:

"There's a way to get there, and I'll figure it out somehow. Well I'm already there in my mind and that's good enough for now..."

And everything else in between...it was almost creepy how the lyrics spoke to me and how closely they were to my situation haha, but you get the point.
Thankfully I found the love of my life not long after (She Belongs to Me ), and we've been happily married ever since!"

Wow Hairball! That's a great story! Yeah it's wonderful how records and songs become part of our lives!smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2020 02:06

Winds of Change
The Animals

There are winds of changes blowing
Gathering leaves up in its path
And the people who are the leaves
Will remain in our hearts
With love, till eternity
King Elmore was born,
So was Duke Ellington
Jelly Roll made love
Bessie Smith was created in heaven above
Robert Johnson sang the blues
Shick Webb did those things that only he could do
Charlie Christian started a new thing
And, oh my, how Billie Holiday could sing?
Alan Freed rock and rolled,
Joe Turner's voice was very low
B.B. King wailed
Charlie Parker cried
Louis Jordan smiled
Ray Charles moaned,
Chuck Berry rock and rolled
Fats Domino made me feel good
Elvis Presley did things that no one thought he could
Then came the Beatles, Rolling Stones
Whole new thing was going on.
Frank Zappa zapped
Mamas and Papas knew where it was at
They all listened to Ravi Shankar?
Now that we got Jimi Hendrix
We know where we are (and Louis Jordan smiled?
And the winds of change go on blowing, blowing,
Gathering more and more leaves in its path,
As time goes past?
Winds of change keep on blowing,
Winds of change keep on blowing,
Bob Dylan sang about the winds of change
Blowing, it's all blowing, the winds of change?

Winds Of Change --- Eric Burden & The Animals 1967

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:52

Did Bob Dylan perform Like a Rolling Stone with the Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour in Brazil or in Argentina? Or both? Because I read in Philip Norman's biography of Mick that it was in Brazil but it's on the Bridges to Buenos Aires bluray.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 6, 2020 17:55

NilsHolgersson
Did Bob Dylan perform Like a Rolling Stone with the Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour in Brazil or in Argentina? Or both?

Both.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:17

Pretty sure I'm gonna catch hell about this, but the new song really is bad.

I compared it with giving Keith Richards a bottle of Jack Daniels, Rebel Yell. or vodka , then asking for his take on the Kennedy assassination.

The "Stan Getz/Dickie Betts" rhyme is brutal.

Yes, I am aware of Mr. Zimmerman's many moments of brilliance, this ain't one of 'em.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:46

Elmo Lewis
Pretty sure I'm gonna catch hell about this, but the new song really is bad.

I compared it with giving Keith Richards a bottle of Jack Daniels, Rebel Yell. or vodka , then asking for his take on the Kennedy assassination.

The "Stan Getz/Dickie Betts" rhyme is brutal.

Yes, I am aware of Mr. Zimmerman's many moments of brilliance, this ain't one of 'em.

I would advise partaking of some herbal "medicine" if legal where you are. Things should clear up then. I'm sure Bob would agree. smileys with beer

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 7, 2020 11:05

BD.com has now publish an official version of the lyrics of Murder Most Foul
=> [www.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 7, 2020 13:20

It’s a masterpiece. One of his best ever

Date: April 7, 2020 13:52

And at 78, too. Amazing. Late Beethoven, late Picasso, late Rembrandt, late Matisse ... late Dylan. Top of all their games.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 7, 2020 15:37

I guess part of my problem is a lack of symbolism that makes his best work so exceptional.

Instead we get - On Dasher, on Dancer, on Donner, on Blitzen .......(Same cadence and rhyme scheme).

Mr. Jones. anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 15:39 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 7, 2020 19:09

terraplane
It’s a masterpiece. One of his best ever

Agreed! thumbs up

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: April 7, 2020 22:17

Hey everyone. I did a little Dylan based project while holed up here and I thought I'd just leave it here in case anyone wanted to check it out. Description and link below. Who knows, maybe I'll tackle the Stones next. Hope you are all well...

"ISOLATION ROW: Some songs of Bob Dylan played during the self-quarantine of 2020"
[youtu.be]

The only good thing about this forced exile has been having the time to sit with some drinks every night & rock out. Mr. Bob always looms large through my song-lists so I decided to capture & share a few of them. I didn't want to mess around with mics or cables so I did it directly into my mini digital recorder.

My method was to warm up while having some cocktails & roll tape by the time I was pretty buzzed. I almost called this project 'Drunk Dylan'. My only rule was NO LYRIC SHEETS. I wanted to treat the words as a piece of music, not ideology, so I didn't want to be looking at them written down. This way they just come tumbling out equal to the guitar & harp.

A lot of these I've played forever. Some I've memorized in the last few days. I never even checked to see if I got them all correct. I know some are alternate words from studio outtakes or his live revisions. I could've done a whole different set of his songs had the mood struck. I guess I could do that on a second volume should this situation drag on. Let's pray it doesn't come to that.

ODDS & ENDS
MISSISSIPPI
I WANT YOU
I DREAMED I SAW ST AUGUSTINE
TANGLED UP IN BLUE
TO RAMONA
ABSOLUTELY SWEET MARIE
WORKINGMAN'S BLUES #2
LOVE MINUS ZERO
QUINN THE ESKIMO
YOU'RE GONNA MAKE ME LONESOME WHEN YOU GO
JOKERMAN
IF YOU GOTTA GO, GO NOW

[youtu.be]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 8, 2020 00:57

MadMetaphoricalMax
And at 78, too. Amazing. Late Beethoven, late Picasso, late Rembrandt, late Matisse ... late Dylan. Top of all their games.

True, but it is only a single track, albeit a long one.
What we need is an album of originals of this quality.

Then I would endorse the statement above.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 9, 2020 11:36

Bob Dylan’s “Murder Most Foul” Is His First No. 1 Song on Any Billboard Chart

Bob Dylan won a Nobel Prize in literature in 2016, but today marked a new accomplishment: his first No. 1 hit. According to Billboard, Dylan’s new song “Murder Most Foul” has topped its Rock Digital Song Sales chart—his first No. 1 under his own name on any chart.

Dylan surprise released the 17-minute “Murder Most Foul,” which addresses the JFK assassination, on March 27. According to Nielsen data, it sold 10,000 downloads between its release and April 2. The song was his first new music since his 2012 album Tempest. As Billboard points out, others have had No. 1 hits with songs Dylan wrote: Peter Paul & Mary in 1963 with “Blowin’ in the Wind,” and the Byrds in 1965 with “Mr. Tambourine Man.” His highest charting singles previously were a handful of No. 2 slots. “Like a Rolling Stone” and “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35” reached No. 2 on the Hot 100 in 1965 and 1966, respectively, and “Things Have Changed” rose to the No. 2 spot on the Adult Alternative Songs chart in 2000. He has a summer tour of the United States scheduled to begin in June.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: April 9, 2020 12:00

Saw my Last Dylan Concert one Year ago Today Prague April 9th,2019....Looking forward to the next one....Time Flies.....Peace.M

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 9, 2020 17:01

JFK hits #1 on charts

[www.thewrap.com]

It is not reported by a neutral website - jeez

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 17, 2020 07:09

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2020 07:19

Wait...what? Another new Dylan song?!!! smiling smiley

Shout out to the Stones:

"I'm just like Anne Frank, like Indiana Jones, and them British bad boys the Rolling Stones..."

Date: April 17, 2020 08:22

I'm just like Anne Frank, like Indiana Jones
And them British bad boys, the Rolling Stones
I go right to the edge, I go right to the end
I go right where all things lost are made good again

ROCKMAN

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: April 17, 2020 08:30

Such a blessing to hear Bob share a little solace in the pandemic. "I met the contagion and sank to the tomb, My soul flew to mansions on high..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2020 08:35

Via Rolling Stone: I Contain Multitudes

Hear Bob Dylan’s Daring New Song, ‘I Contain Multitudes’

Dylan’s second new song in three weeks is a delicate ballad with mischievous lyrics

“I Contain Multitudes” is Bob Dylan’s second surprise new song in three weeks, making it seem increasingly likely that the Nobel Prize winner has a new album on the way – which would be his first collection of original songs since 2012’s Tempest. The Walt Whitman-referencing new song is much shorter and less overtly ambitious than his March release, “Murder Most Foul” – “I Contain Multitudes” is a delicate ballad with a minimal arrangement (harp-like guitar chords, rumbling cello, tropical steel-guitar, zero percussion), and a Tin Pan Alley melody a la 2006’s “Beyond the Horizon.”

The lyrics, meanwhile, are full of mischief, wordplay, and daring. “I paint landscapes/I paint nudes,” Dylan sings, with a near-audible wink. “I contain multitudes… I’m a man of contradictions/ I’m a man of many moods.”

He nods to David Bowie (rhyming “all the young dudes” with the title phrase), Edgar Allan Poe (“Got a tell-tale heart/ like Mr. Poe/ Got skeletons in the wall/ of people you know”), Irish poet Anthony Raftery’s “The Lass from Bally-na-Lee,” and William Blake, among others. And occasionally, he may be intent on pure shock: “I’m just like Anne Frank/ and Indiana Jones/ And them British bad boys the Rolling Stones,” he sings.

“Murder Most Foul,” released in March, is a 17-minute-long song that jumps from John F. Kennedy’s assassination to a kaleidoscopic look at 20th-century America. Dylan’s most recent album was Triplicate, the latest in a series of LPs devoted to covers of pre-rock standards.

Date: April 17, 2020 08:36

nice lil nod ta Warren Smith's -
Red Cadillac and a Black Moustache cut at that wonderful Sun studio ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 17, 2020 09:42

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 17, 2020 09:56

Wonderful! Keep 'em coming, Bob!

Musically so close to "Murder Most Foul" that it needs to derive from same era/sessions. Which gives some back-up to the theory that he, after all, has been in the studio lately (during the winter), and "Murder" was a re-cut of a TEMPEST era song.

- Doxa

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 17, 2020 10:31

Another brilliant song. The greatest living songwriter

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 17, 2020 10:44

“Frolic with All the Young Dudes”

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 17, 2020 11:56

If put together "Murder Most Foul" & "I Contain Multitudes" Bob seems to recollect & reconstruct the impression of the first wave of British Invasion rather nicely/essentially:

"The Beatles are comin'; they're gonna hold your hand"
"And them British bad boys the Rolling Stones"

(That said, never thought putting Anne Frank and the Stones on same sentence... but Dylan's Dylangrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-17 11:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 17, 2020 11:59

terraplane
Another brilliant song. The greatest living songwriter

thumbs up smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7475767778798081828384...LastNext
Current Page: 79 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home