Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 29, 2020 20:24

Hairball
Captain Teague
Gazza
Its also a bit bizarre that timewise, Bob's new song is double the length of new material produced by the Stones in the last 15 years. :-)

Always great to hear the musings of Gazza on matters Stones, Dylan, Neil Young and the music world in general!

Speaking of Neil Young, there's the mesmerizing Driftin' Back from 2012 that clocks in at staggering 27+ minutes.
And from the same album, Walk Like a Giant and Ramada Inn that are both over 16 minutes....

Meanwhile, the Stones.......................confused smiley

I'm just half way through listening to a live take of 'Down by the river' - 36 mins..............cool smiley

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: March 29, 2020 21:00

Rocky Dijon
calipachangero
schillid
Turn the radio on; don't touch the dials
Parkland hospital, only six more miles

I was a butcher cutting up meat
My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet

The day that they killed him, someone said to me, "Son
The age of the Antichrist has only begun.

I was a pitcher down in a slump
I was a fighter taken for a sucker punch

I've blood in my eye, got blood in my ear
I'm never gonna make it to the new frontier

I was a hooker losing her looks
I was a writer can't write another book

Let me know when you decide to thrown in the towel
It is what it is, and it's murder most foul

Hey, hey, you got me rocking now

That's brutal! >grinning smiley< very different approaches...

I really like "Murder Most Foul," but to the comparison above I'll take "You Got Me Rocking" over "Wiggle Wiggle."

Touché grinning smiley

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 30, 2020 00:12

EddieByword
I'm just half way through listening to a live take of 'Down by the river' - 36 mins..............cool smiley

Eddie, where can we listen to this?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:10

...preferably down by a river …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:21

One time I was listening to an LP ... After around fifteen minutes into a song, I realized that the record was skipping backwards cuz it was scratched...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:26

Captain Teague
EddieByword

Eddie, where can we listen to this?

There you go............ [www.youtube.com] .....although it does have a 5 min intro.......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-30 01:32 by EddieByword.

Date: March 30, 2020 02:25

One time I was listening to an LP ... After around fifteen minutes into a song, I realized that the record was skipping backwards cuz it was scratched...

the wonders of LSD …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 30, 2020 04:16

schillid

One time I was listening to an LP ... is sounded like it was scratched and skipping backwards all the time ... then I found out the LP was just fine but the song was Steve Reich's Violin Phase ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out [www.youtube.com]
(True story!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-30 04:44 by doitywoik.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 30, 2020 11:40

One journo calles Murder Most Foul better than anything on Tempest. What a lazy thing to say, geezer obviously haven't heard the record.

Although the lyrics are great it doesn't come near stuff like Pay In Blood, Duchesne Whistle, Scarlet Town, Soon After Midnight, Narrow Way and Long And Wasted Years.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 30, 2020 13:28

MadMax
One journo calles Murder Most Foul better than anything on Tempest. What a lazy thing to say, geezer obviously haven't heard the record.

Although the lyrics are great it doesn't come near stuff like Pay In Blood, Duchesne Whistle, Scarlet Town, Soon After Midnight, Narrow Way and Long And Wasted Years.

Well, I can't really compare "Murder Most Faul" to the best cuts of TEMPEST, but I understand the decision that they left it out of the album. It sounds like an animal of its own.

That said. It is a magical track. I guess I have listened it at least dozens times. And got hooked every time. It feels like I could listen it forever...

But the Stones references...

"Then I'll go to Altamont and sit near the stage"

"I'm riding in a long, black limousine"

(Just after The Who reference, and TATTOO YOU seems to be one of Bob's favourites, he picked up "Neighbours" to his radio show...)

And then: "Play "Lonely At the Top"".... Okay, okay, could be Randy Newman as well...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 30, 2020 14:59

MadMax

Or Roll On John. Seriously, Tempest is fantastic and a great achievement for an artist of any age, but especially Dylan's. He has no excuse making a record that good so far into his career.

And I agree, this songs works better being released on its own. As part of an album, it would get lost or just glazed over as being "the long song". On its own, independent from the rest of a record, it can really be analyzed and appreciated properly. I'd argue the Titanic song would be as well from Tempest. Songs that long are either the clear focal point of a record (like a 2112 by Rush or something) or vaguely glossed over. Very glad to see him just release this on its own. I think its why I like it a lot better than Tempest the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-30 15:02 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 30, 2020 19:12

Doxa
Well, I can't really compare "Murder Most Faul" to the best cuts of TEMPEST, but I understand the decision that they left it out of the album. It sounds like an animal of its own.

Apart from that there may have been a quite pragmatic reason to leave it off Tempest: at 17 min it simply would not have fit on Tempest (which clocks in at over 68 min). Adding it to Tempest would have resulted in a 85 min CD ... too long for a single CD, (nowadays) not enough for a double CD.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2020 19:57

MadMax

I agree with the journalist, and it would be nice to read the full review if you have a link.
Personally, I thought Tempest was overall a slight letdown to be honest (generally speaking) while this new tune stands apart in every way, and is one for the ages.

Compared to Tempest, I preferred the previous Together Through Life and Modern Times, while Love and Theft and Time Out of Mind are untouchable peaks of the latter era (w/Time Out of Mind being #1).
Somewhere in the midst of these four Murder Most Foul resides with Tempest following somewhere behind.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:05

Behind The Shades -- Clinton Heylin …………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 31, 2020 02:35

Dylan has sparked more conversation about the assassination amongst people who have long believed in "conspiracy theories" etc. David Crosby commented on it stating that "he has been saying the same thing for years" about Oswald not being a lone shooter, gov't involvement etc which Dylan implies in the song.
"We've already got someone here to take your place" "The day they blew out the brains of the king" etc.

Croz went on to say he thought the song was fantastic but a bit too long.
Can't say I disagree, like it all but could see it working well running about 8 or 9 minutes. Never happen though cool smiley

Lyric video..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 02:36 by MisterDDDD.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:42

Crosby should try and write one of his own of this magnitude - could never happen though as he's nowhere near the same league as the great songwriters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 02:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:04

Hairball
Crosby should try and write one of his own of this magnitude - could never happen though as he's nowhere near the same league as the great songwriters.

Agree. Actually thought of you as I typed his comments..
Not a fan either, but it is interesting to follow some of his antics cool smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:16

MadMax

Everyone has opinion. I think its the best thing he has done since at least 1997.

Date: March 31, 2020 03:17

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Agree. Actually thought of you as I typed his comments..
Not a fan either, but it is interesting to follow some of his antics cool smiley

Ha well that made me laugh a bit, but he really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as Dylan!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:18

MisterDDDD
Dylan has sparked more conversation about the assassination amongst people who have long believed in "conspiracy theories" etc. David Crosby commented on it stating that "he has been saying the same thing for years" about Oswald not being a lone shooter, gov't involvement etc which Dylan implies in the song.
"We've already got someone here to take your place" "The day they blew out the brains of the king" etc.

Croz went on to say he thought the song was fantastic but a bit too long.
Can't say I disagree, like it all but could see it working well running about 8 or 9 minutes. Never happen though cool smiley

Lyric video..

CT never stop talking about wild theories. This changes nothing.

Date: March 31, 2020 03:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 31, 2020 05:27

For an American original, this is anything but.

This is nothing more than "American Pie,'' or "We Didn't Start the Fire,'' written by Billy Joel as he was giving his kid a bath.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 31, 2020 06:09

Chester

This is nothing more than "American Pie,'' or "We Didn't Start the Fire,'' written by Billy Joel as he was giving his kid a bath.

Interesting... I also thought about the apparent similarity to those two songs. But Dylan's lyric resonates and does what neither "American Pie" or "We Didn't Start the Fire" did... that is, weaving the musical references and the historical references and points of view together.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 31, 2020 06:28

schillid
Chester

Interesting... I also thought about the apparent similarity to those two songs. But Dylan's lyric resonates and does what neither "American Pie" or "We Didn't Start the Fire" did... that is, weaving the musical references and the historical references and points of view together.

He lost me with the Don Henley and Glenn Frey references, and later Stevie Nicks.
That's as lazy as any line in "You Got Me Rocking.''

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 31, 2020 09:40

Rocky Dijon
calipachangero
schillid
Turn the radio on; don't touch the dials
Parkland hospital, only six more miles

I was a butcher cutting up meat
My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet

The day that they killed him, someone said to me, "Son
The age of the Antichrist has only begun.

I was a pitcher down in a slump
I was a fighter taken for a sucker punch

I've blood in my eye, got blood in my ear
I'm never gonna make it to the new frontier

I was a hooker losing her looks
I was a writer can't write another book

Let me know when you decide to thrown in the towel
It is what it is, and it's murder most foul

That's brutal! >grinning smiley< very different approaches...

I really like "Murder Most Foul," but to the comparison above I'll take "You Got Me Rocking" over "Wiggle Wiggle."

thumbs up
Maybe someone hasn't listened the horrible album "Under the red sky"!

Date: March 31, 2020 12:55

"One journo called Murder Most Foul better than anything on Tempest. What a lazy thing to say, geezer obviously haven't heard the record."

Alexis Patredis, at the Grauniad. He once gave a Dylan gig one star, complete with every tired old journo cliche of the period. He knows nothing. Especially about the half dozen great songs on Tempest.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 31, 2020 13:00

Hairball wrote: "I agree with the journalist, and it would be nice to read the full review if you have a link."

Sure thing mate!

:[www.theguardian.com]

IMHO Tempest is much darker and more apocalyptic than the previous 4 albums (who are all ten outta ten records, these five he released beginning with TOOM are just pure joy, as well as the last three Sinatra projects).
Stuff like Pay In Blood and LAWY got great riffs as well, and how he applies Blue Moon to Soon After Midnight and makes it the best song of 2012 is just genius.

Tempest is close to my heart being what it is, dark and apocalyptic. Might also have something to do with me getting married the same day it was released, the lyrics were spot on and just SPOKE to megrinning smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 31, 2020 16:11

stanlove
MadMax

Everyone has opinion. I think its the best thing he has done since at least 1997.

Agreed more or less. Admittedly never an unconditional Dylan devotee, his last great album for me is Time Out Of Mind (1997).

Date: March 31, 2020 19:33

MadMax
Hairball wrote: "I agree with the journalist, and it would be nice to read the full review if you have a link."

Sure thing mate!

:[www.theguardian.com]

IMHO Tempest is much darker and more apocalyptic than the previous 4 albums (who are all ten outta ten records, these five he released beginning with TOOM are just pure joy, as well as the last three Sinatra projects).
Stuff like Pay In Blood and LAWY got great riffs as well, and how he applies Blue Moon to Soon After Midnight and makes it the best song of 2012 is just genius.

Tempest is close to my heart being what it is, dark and apocalyptic. Might also have something to do with me getting married the same day it was released, the lyrics were spot on and just SPOKE to megrinning smiley

Thanks MadMax. thumbs up

The same way Tempest is close to you, Time Out of Mind is close to me. When it was released, I was going through a rough patch with a previous relationship (which ultimately ended), and that album became the soundtrack for that entire period. It was all right there - from the first chilling notes and lines of Love Sick:

"I'm walking, through streets that are dead..."

To the final peace of mind and resignation of Highlands:

"There's a way to get there, and I'll figure it out somehow. Well I'm already there in my mind and that's good enough for now..."

And everything else in between...it was almost creepy how the lyrics spoke to me and how closely they were to my situation haha, but you get the point.
Thankfully I found the love of my life not long after (She Belongs to Me winking smiley ), and we've been happily married ever since!

Date: March 31, 2020 20:18

@MadMax:
As for the Guardian review ( Murder Most Foul ), I though some it sounded familiar, and it turns out MisterDDDD posted it a couple of days ago, but left out the first two paragraphs!!!! (He did provide the link though)
Here they are:

"As with pretty much anything Bob Dylan does these days, you can only speculate at his reasons for unexpectedly releasing a 17-minute song, ostensibly about the assassination of John F Kennedy, that gradually turns into a litany of cultural references taking in everything from Shakespeare to Stevie Nicks to silent-movie comedians, from the Moonlight Sonata to Jelly Roll Morton to A Nightmare on Elm Street.

And – as with pretty much anything Bob Dylan has ever done – speculate people have. They’ve suggested it’s a harbinger of his first album of original material since 2012. That it’s an outtake from his last album of original songs, Tempest, that’s noticeably better than anything on Tempest, and Dylan has form in leaving the best song off an album: this is, after all, the man who came to the conclusion that Shot of Love was better without Caribbean Wind on it, and Infidels somehow improved by removing Blind Willie McTell".

And the rest > Murder Most Foul

MadMax

So it doesn't quite look like the journalist himself is being lazy by saying it's better than anything on Tempest, but he's simply stating that's what other people are saying - and I happen to be one of those people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 20:23 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home