Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: December 16, 2019 01:12

Great interview. A straight-faced Dylan, most unusual. Thanks for posting.

Date: December 16, 2019 01:29

Great interview. I love this:
"But rock and roll was high energy, explosive and cut down. It was skeleton music, came out of the darkness and rode in on the atom bomb and the artists were star headed like mystical Gods."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2019 03:30

Great interview - I don't think I ever read that one before.
I also don't think I ever heard the the story of Dylan walking off the Ed Sullivan show at the beginning of his career, or maybe I completely forgot about it.
Anybody know the story about that?

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 17, 2019 00:45

I've been living with that interview for a few days now and have made my way through TRIPLICATE several times ... that record is really a remarkable achievement.

Bob has reclaimed those torch songs as ... folk songs, songs of the people. Many of them -- having become standards -- are sort of associated with an upper class elite nightblubby kind of clientele ... but Bob has tapped into their roots, their sense of humanity, of longing ... he's recaptured them and freed them from their highfalutin' trappings.

Amazing ...

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: December 17, 2019 09:04

And, wouldn't ya know it, he's a Charlie fan to boot.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 17, 2019 09:44

LazarusSmith
I've been living with that interview for a few days now and have made my way through TRIPLICATE several times ... that record is really a remarkable achievement.

Bob has reclaimed those torch songs as ... folk songs, songs of the people. Many of them -- having become standards -- are sort of associated with an upper class elite nightblubby kind of clientele ... but Bob has tapped into their roots, their sense of humanity, of longing ... he's recaptured them and freed them from their highfalutin' trappings.

Amazing ...

Same here. When TRIPLICATE was released, I thought 'C,mon, Bob, this starts to be too much', and I listened the album rather half-heartly, stemming more out of obligation than that of excitment and interest. But that interview opened my eyes, and now I am totally addicted to it. It is one of those moments when one can feel a personal awereness simply exploding - discovering stuff one wasn't even awere of before. It's been years I felt something alike. It is almost like, if I really go to my back pages, when I started to listen 'authentic' blues as a kid - after being introduced it by the Stones. It was like a bomb.

All I can say is that Zimmy guy is truely a treasure. His adventures in music and his career is simply mind-blowing, no one else coming even close. Sometimes I feel that he is about the only person in rock music that could be called as an artist (Hendrix was another one, but his career unfortunately stopped way too soon).

- Doxa

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 8, 2020 11:10

Seems as Macca and the Stones aren’t bringing it home this year (Glasto doesn’t count) - any rumblings of Dylan playing the U.K?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 9, 2020 01:41

If he had stopped at Blonde on Blonde, he would be miles ahead of himself.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2020 03:10

He shoulda pulled over after
Highway 61 …. he coulda easily
revisited once Sam's nose stopped ableedin…..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 6, 2020 17:57

"And Gershon, 57, was given a little preview of some new material Dylan had been working on: "He read me some lyrics he was writing and he was all excited...," she recalled. "I was thinking, 'Oh my God, this is so cool.' You could see why he still loves doing what he does and he's excited..."

[www.aceshowbiz.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 6, 2020 18:00

beside that: It seems like Dylan upcoming Japan tour has been canceled

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 6, 2020 18:15

Nothing on Bobs website yet regarding cancellation of the shows but seems to usually take them a while to get things up on there anyway and apparently ticket sales have been stopped so it looks like it’s getting cancelled unfortunately.
I guess Japan really wants to try and get this virus under control before the Olympic Games are due to start.

Nate

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 9, 2020 17:12

Japan still seems to be a goer.
And just announced: 25 US dates in June/July.

Keep it rolling, Bob.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: March 9, 2020 17:54

jlowe

Keep it rolling, Bob.

Japan has been cancelled.

[udo.jp]

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: March 9, 2020 18:52

coloradocanyons
jlowe

Keep it rolling, Bob.

Japan has been cancelled.

[udo.jp]

While I anticipate Bob's shows being cancelled, that page says only Ludovico Einaudi has been cancelled. Confusing web page design.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2020 19:38

The great thing about Bob is that you always feel there just might be something great left for him to express. And he never has degenerated into a Greatest Hits act, playing the same songs, in the same manner, over and over. Just when you thought it was over in the 70s, Blood On The Tracks became a new masterpiece. Yes, the great songs were fewer and farther between, but they did keep coming. I expected nothing the first time I saw him live in 1998. It seemed he mumbled incoherently through the 80s, and he was the butt of late night talk show hosts. Dylan was on dream like bill of him, Van Morrison, and Joni Mitchell. The poster said be prompt. Sure enough, as I walked up to the front door and entered, Dylan was standing there, kicking ass with a rocking version of Maggies Farm. What a career. The rock star's rock star.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 9, 2020 23:03

US 2020 tour dates!

[pitchfork.com]

Date: March 9, 2020 23:10

I had to look up the towns in MS -- Southaven is a Memphis suburb, Brandon is near Jackson. Dates don't sit well for me due to some British band's tour...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 10, 2020 00:03

24FPS
The great thing about Bob is that you always feel there just might be something great left for him to express. And he never has degenerated into a Greatest Hits act, playing the same songs, in the same manner, over and over. Just when you thought it was over in the 70s, Blood On The Tracks became a new masterpiece. Yes, the great songs were fewer and farther between, but they did keep coming. I expected nothing the first time I saw him live in 1998. It seemed he mumbled incoherently through the 80s, and he was the butt of late night talk show hosts. Dylan was on dream like bill of him, Van Morrison, and Joni Mitchell. The poster said be prompt. Sure enough, as I walked up to the front door and entered, Dylan was standing there, kicking ass with a rocking version of Maggies Farm. What a career. The rock star's rock star.

I saw him on that tour. I'd seen him 10 years earlier and it was awful...just horrible.

I bought the ticket in 98 to see Van Morrison. That portion of the show was boring. But when Dylan went on, it was electric, a rock concert. Absolutely fantastic show.

Date: March 10, 2020 00:19

I saw him in '98 with Joni minus Van (the great Dave Alvin opened). It was Joni's birthday -- they brought out a cake and the crowd sang. This was after some jerk heckled and was ejected for yelling "Bring out Bob" at a most inappropriate moment. Joni's response: "Screw you, I'm as good as Bob!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-10 00:19 by Glam Descendant.

Date: March 10, 2020 01:53

Saw Dylan in 1998 in a small club in my hometown. It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 10, 2020 02:10

I've never heard about this glorious 1998 Dylan year. I'll have to look it up I guess.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 10, 2020 02:50

Last week, I watched Dylan and Carlos Santana playing Blowin' In The Wind by only two of them on blu-ray.
That was from the tour with Mick Taylor & Ian McLagan in 1984.
One of his best Blowin' In The Wind, I guess. I was so moved.

Date: March 10, 2020 06:01

RollingFreak
I've never heard about this glorious 1998 Dylan year. I'll have to look it up I guess.

There's a lot of great recordings from that tour around the internet, which came from the (kind of) officially released recordings posted on Bob's website in the late 90's/early 00's. Some of Bob's B-sides of singles from Time Out of Mind have also great live recordings. Not forgetting to mention San José 98, a great bootleg with an excellent soundboard quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-10 06:02 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 10, 2020 11:36

Cristiano Radtke
Not forgetting to mention San José 98, a great bootleg with an excellent soundboard quality.

But a rather lame perf... Pick Brussels instead. For some reason Dylan was incandescent there in 95 98 or 2000 thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-10 16:03 by dcba.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 10, 2020 11:53

Doxa wrote: "It is one of those moments when one can feel a personal awereness simply exploding - discovering stuff one wasn't even awere of before. It's been years I felt something alike. It is almost like, if I really go to my back pages, when I started to listen 'authentic' blues as a kid - after being introduced it by the Stones. It was like a bomb.

All I can say is that Zimmy guy is truely a treasure."

Couldn't agree more! Those 3 records (and Tempest Before it of course) are treasures! Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels and Triplicate, I listen to all of them at least once a week. They never cease to amaze me.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 10, 2020 19:52

if anyone is interested in finding great Dylan stuff - check out the fall tour 2000 (especially: Glasgow, Cardiff, Portsmouth (first show) and Münster)

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 11, 2020 02:21

video: [www.youtube.com]

The footage of the shows may beg to differ. It actually sees Dylan in full voice and nearing the top of his live game.
Petty, it would seem, provided Dylan with a refuge to hide from his albums and embellish his live persona.
While some of Dylan’s greatest hits were given their dues during the tour,
above we’re taking a look at he and Petty breaking out a forgotten ’80s gem, ‘When The Night Comes Falling From the Sky’ at a show in Sydney, Australia.

The track was originally recorded in 1985 at the Power Station in New York alongside Steve Van Zandt, Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan from the E Street Band.
The song was shelved after Dylan suggested it sounded too much like a Springsteen song. Unsurprising really with half of his band in the recording booth.
This version was shelved for Empire Burlesque and, instead, it was re-recorded with Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare, Al Kooper, Stu Kimball and Bashiri Johnson.

It wasn’t until the unbelievably talented Heartbreakers took on the track for the 1986 tour that it really came to fruition.
They add a bouncing vivaciousness that makes the cut for Empire Burlesque feel a touch pallid in comparison.
It’s the same bounce that can be found in the footage below as Dylan and Tom Petty take on the forgotten ’80s gem while on tour.

For now, it remains one of the final times Dylan has ever played the song and a stark reminder of the joy Dylan and Petty found in one another.

From FAR OUT

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: March 13, 2020 12:33

Bob's tour of Japan now Cancelled!!!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2020 13:50

mikey C
Bob's tour of Japan now Cancelled!!!!!

Yes and his website promotes the Broadway production 'Girl from the north country' on the same page!
Nobody told them that Broadway has shut down?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home