Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 24, 2019 20:36

I love "Blood on the Tracks" but I only bought the single disc breakdown of that bootleg series box. In fact, I haven't bought any of the complete boxes, buying instead the 2CD versions of things like the 65-66 "Cutting Edge" release and the "Raw" Basement Tapes, etc. I just don't see myself listening to multiple versions of songs more than once. Even the 2CD versions aren't spun very often, but "The Cutting Edge" in particular (as it has already been said) is very good, along with the Self Portait-era release and the "Tell Tale Signs" (1989-2006) collection. I'm very much looking forward to this new "Travelin' Thru" set.

As for new albums from Bob, I haven't bought any of the standards/covers albums in recent years. The latest one I bought was "Tempest" which I thought was excellent. if that ends up being his last original work, it's a good way to go out.

As for shows, ugh. It pains me, but I can't see myself wanting to go to another one. Bob is a all-time artist for me, but his shows lately...well, I'll just say that I know there is great division on this. I'll just say that I'm glad I saw him a lot between 1998-2003. Starting with the show I saw in 2005...."things have changed", so to speak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-24 20:37 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2019 06:35

ASK SIRI HOW OLD IS BOB DYLAN? APPLE'S APP WILL TELL YOU HE'S DEAD

It turns out that if you ask Siri how old Bob Dylan
is, Apple's virtual voice assistant will say that he
died 11 years ago. The bizarre glitch - seemingly discovered
by Vice - informs the user that the music icon passed away on
April 24, 2008. Dylan, 78, is of course still very much alive...………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 25, 2019 14:10

floodonthepage

As for shows, ugh. It pains me, but I can't see myself wanting to go to another one. Bob is a all-time artist for me, but his shows lately...well, I'll just say that I know there is great division on this. I'll just say that I'm glad I saw him a lot between 1998-2003. Starting with the show I saw in 2005...."things have changed", so to speak.

I went to more than a dozen Dylan shows between 1994 - 2004 and you are correct, Things Have Changed and not for the better. Remember when he would open shows with "Duncan and Brady" and the setlists would be populated with gems like "Tough Mama", "Silvio", "Drifter's Escape" and "Senor"? Those were the days! One of my favorite shows was in a small hockey arena in Elmira, NY where he covered "Brown Sugar", "Old Man" and a Warren Zevon track whose title escapes me right now.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 25, 2019 15:44

JimmyTheSaint
floodonthepage

I went to more than a dozen Dylan shows between 1994 - 2004 and you are correct, Things Have Changed and not for the better. Remember when he would open shows with "Duncan and Brady" and the setlists would be populated with gems like "Tough Mama", "Silvio", "Drifter's Escape" and "Senor"? Those were the days! One of my favorite shows was in a small hockey arena in Elmira, NY where he covered "Brown Sugar", "Old Man" and a Warren Zevon track whose title escapes me right now.

Mutineer. Great setlist:

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 25, 2019 16:46

out of the 155 shwos I saw snce 1991 some of the greatest were the shows in October 2009. This year's spring and summer tour were pretty strong, too.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 25, 2019 19:04

JimmyTheSaint
floodonthepage

Yes! I saw that tour, too. St. Paul 2002. On top of those you mentioned, he played "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" (one of my favorites) and "Girl From The North Country". Those were the days, indeed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2019 20:37

JimmyTheSaint
floodonthepage

In 2002 Dylan christened the newly renovated Wiltern Theater in L.A. with three shows (Oct, 15, 16, 17) just prior to the Stones playing there, and I was fortunate to see all of them up front and center.
He played Zevon's Mutineer the first night (Oct. 15), and then both Lawyers, Guns, and Money and Mutineer the two following nights - (Oct. 16) and (Oct. 17). Both Brown Sugar and Old Man were played at all three shows.
I'd seen Dylan quite a few times prior to that, and many times after, but that trinity of Wiltern shows might be the all around very best of all.

*Though the first one I ever saw at the Santa Monica Civic in '79 will always have a special place in my heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-25 20:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 25, 2019 21:26

Rockman
ASK SIRI HOW OLD IS BOB DYLAN? APPLE'S APP WILL TELL YOU HE'S DEAD

It turns out that if you ask Siri how old Bob Dylan
is, Apple's virtual voice assistant will say that he
died 11 years ago. The bizarre glitch - seemingly discovered
by Vice - informs the user that the music icon passed away on
April 24, 2008. Dylan, 78, is of course still very much alive...………..

How can you be "very much alive"?
Surely you are either Dead or Alive..
Or is there a Halfway to Paradise perhaps.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 26, 2019 18:40

Pre-sale for Beacon shows happening now 9/26; 10:00am-10:00pm. Code: DYLAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 27, 2019 18:57

Rip This
just watched Scorsese's Bob Dylan – The Rolling Thunder Revue.....I have to say....he sure knows how to put together a rock documentary.....very nice.
Yeah and Dylan sure knows how to pull our legs.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 27, 2019 19:34

OT: Bob Dylan plagiarism from Paul Newman movie
Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 29, 2019 18:37

So I am watching "the Hustler" last night and Piper Laurie says to Paul Newman: "I've got troubles, I think you got troubles, maybe we should leave each other alone."

Which Dylan basically used verbatim in "Seeing the real you at last" on Empire Burlesque.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:27

Yeah, Dylan and movie dialogue are all over each other since at least "The Mighty Quinn" if not the cover of FREEWHEELIN'.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 11, 2019 16:13

Bob kicks off another leg Tonight of The "Never Ending Tour"...Rumors of a Line-Up change...Will see Tonight!

Re: OT: Bob Dylan plagiarism from Paul Newman movie
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 11, 2019 16:32

Shott
So I am watching "the Hustler" last night and Piper Laurie says to Paul Newman: "I've got troubles, I think you got troubles, maybe we should leave each other alone."

Which Dylan basically used verbatim in "Seeing the real you at last" on Empire Burlesque.

[www.geocities.ws]

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 18:11

Matt Chamberlain on drums starting from tonight

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 11, 2019 21:51

andrea66

Huh!? Receli is out? Does it mean Bob will cover "Even Flow" and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" during the tour? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 21:52 by dcba.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 12, 2019 01:21

This is what I ‘ve heard . But with Dylan you never know ....

Date: October 12, 2019 02:44

dcba
andrea66

Huh!? Receli is out? Does it mean Bob will cover "Even Flow" and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" during the tour? grinning smiley

Matt Chamberlain, not Jimmy Chamberlin.

Date: October 12, 2019 10:01

Line-up in Irwine, CA, last night ...

Bob Dylan: voc, p, g
Charlie Sexton: g
Bob Britt: g
Donnie Herron: steel g, violin
Tony Garnier: b
Matt Chamberlain: dr

Date: October 12, 2019 10:10

MrEcho
Line-up in Irwine, CA, last night ...

Bob Dylan: voc, p, g
Charlie Sexton: g
Bob Britt: g
Donnie Herron: steel g, violin
Tony Garnier: b
Matt Chamberlain: dr

not to forget the surprises in the setlist: Beyond Here Lies Nothing (with Bob on guitar!), Lenny Bruce and a new version of Not Dark Yet, see: [www.boblinks.com]

Date: October 12, 2019 11:11

MrEcho
dcba
andrea66

Matt Chamberlain, not Jimmy Chamberlin.

My bad! I mistook Matt Chamberlain with... Matt Walker who did play with the Pumpkins in 96-97 (when Jimmy Chamberlin was fired by Corgan).

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 12, 2019 11:19

George Receli played wonderfully, full of groove and energy, with Dylan, I will miss him on stage.

Date: October 12, 2019 15:07

Yeah he replaced David Kemper who was completely boring...

Date: October 12, 2019 17:06

complete show: [www.youtube.com]
(not the best recording quality)

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: October 12, 2019 17:18

slewan

really pretty version of Girl From the North Country

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 12, 2019 18:58

slewan

Sounds pretty good to me. I was at the show last night, and it's kind of amazing that I can hear the entire thing the next morning.

Thanks.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 13, 2019 00:58

loog droog
slewan

Sounds pretty good to me. I was at the show last night, and it's kind of amazing that I can hear the entire thing the next morning.

Thanks.

Sounds amazing, to me. I was also there. It was nice to hear a rarity of sorts - "Lenny Bruce" - played for the first time in 11 years, although it reminded me of hearing "Sad, Sad, Sad" this year: Interesting, but you do have better rarities, y'know.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: October 14, 2019 15:22

"What does a drummer coming into your band need to know? What should he avoid?

BD: No one comes into my band. I like the drummer I have now, he is one of the best around, but if he ever left me for some reason, like to join The Rolling Stones or something, I’d have to replace him."

Q&A with Bill Flanagan
MAR 22, 2017
Exclusive to bobdylan.com

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: October 14, 2019 16:06

Hopefully that doesn't mean Charlie is retiring spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home