Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 11, 2019 05:26

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: June 11, 2019 16:12

Thanks Koen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 11, 2019 16:40

Will probably try and see the film if it gets a UK Cinema release and is not restricted to Netflix.
Still feel a but uneasy about the volume of archival material which the Dylan camp are unleashing on us. Like The Stones you wish for some NEW material and not stuff that has been kept in storage the last 40 or so years. Is he a spent force, creatively? Sad if that is the case. He was always more the Artist than Entertainer (opposite of The Stones) and somehow I never expected him to dry up.
I suppose it's just business.
'Give 'em product!'

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 11, 2019 16:48

jlowe
Will probably try and see the film if it gets a UK Cinema release and is not restricted to Netflix.
Still feel a but uneasy about the volume of archival material which the Dylan camp are unleashing on us. Like The Stones you wish for some NEW material and not stuff that has been kept in storage the last 40 or so years. Is he a spent force, creatively? Sad if that is the case. He was always more the Artist than Entertainer (opposite of The Stones) and somehow I never expected him to dry up.
I suppose it's just business.
'Give 'em product!'

well, if you see him live and see that he still keeps on re-working his songs you can't really say he's dried up or a spent force.

I don't think that his latest 1975 live box release is just about business. 14(!) CDs for some 65 Euros is a real bargain (not only compared to those endless greatest hits compilations by the band we all know so well)

Date: June 11, 2019 23:28

The movie is fantastic, I'd say easily the best, most powerful, most intimate and intense footage, and the movie is great, there are invented characters, invented histories, I'm intrigued as to what hand Dylan had in that.

Here's my review feature for The Arts Desk about the film and the boxed set -
[www.theartsdesk.com]

and a new interview with Scarlet Rivera, the violinist on Desire etc.
[www.theartsdesk.com]

She spoke really interestingly about working with Dylan, I thought.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2019 02:27

Not working taday so hopefully I'll be able to watch the movie …..

Got the box-set but deep down all I really need is all the versions of Isis ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: June 12, 2019 17:49

This film is really cool.Superb musical performances and lots of funny stuff.And Allen Ginsberg rocks.I never viewed Renaldo and Clara so I cant compare it.A fine addition to the works of Bob Dylan.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 12, 2019 21:26

Absolutely marvellous, although is it a documentary? Much of it is (deliberately) unreliable but it's worth it for the vintage clips, the new Dylan interview and particularly the music.

The glimpses of backstage and rehearsals are tantalising. I wish every song had been shown in full. Knocking on Heavens Door is bonkers and brilliant. If they release a multiple DVD set with all the footage I will find the money somewhere.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: June 12, 2019 21:46

Rockman
Not working taday so hopefully I'll be able to watch the movie …..

Got the box-set but deep down all I really need is all the versions of Isis ….

for me it's every version of hard rain and masterpiece ...

Resotele

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 12, 2019 22:05

Just watched 50 minutes of the documentary - amazing ! Far better than the No Direction Home documentary.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 12, 2019 22:30

tomcasagranda
Just watched 50 minutes of the documentary - amazing ! Far better than the No Direction Home documentary.

looking forward to it.

just read a rolling stone article that some of the stuff in the documentary are fake?

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: June 13, 2019 00:56

rolling stone article that some of the stuff in the documentary are fake?

….. whats new …. Mr Zimm has the most
manicured image in the history of rock …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 13, 2019 03:19

It's a "Bob Dylan Story" not a documentary.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 13, 2019 09:54

Glam Descendant
It's a "Bob Dylan Story" not a documentary.

Not only that, but it's also "The Rolling Thunder Revue/Re-Vue".

Amazing film, and I can only second the comments above. This is definitely a must watch.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 13, 2019 12:16

Great, great film. Need to watch it again to get more sense to the crazy off-stage stuff, but damn those performances are pure dynamite. "Isis", "Hard Rain", "Carroll", "Hurricane"... amazing, rocking performances, Bob's physical presence and the aggression in his vocals is just out of this world... More reflection later.

- Doxa

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 13, 2019 17:50

great to see Dylan and his vocal delivery so powerful actually in front of his audience - the times I have seen him he had his back to the audience for the most part.

offstage bits - great to see Dylan drive the tour bus, great to see Sharon Stone,
some of Dylan's interview comments were odd - I expected more insight I guess.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 14, 2019 10:22

Rockman

I was just watching Rolling Thunder... and I was kind of skipping around... I am not the biggest fan of Dylan, but I know a lil... yadda yadda... so I am watching... and at one point even as a "not a huge Dylan fan" I can tell something is WAT? But I ignore it... it OK and I keep on watching. I am enjoying the music and some of the hippy footage and stories... but then...

Then the part with Sharon Stone comes on... and Dylan starts talking about using make up because of KISS... WAT? AND THEN!!! LMAO!!! Dylan asks her to join the tour... and she does... and one day she is ironing Joan's clothes when Dylan calls her out to the hall... cuz he wrote a song about her... and it made Sharon cry... and I said WAT??? pressed pause... and said to the screen NUH-UH!!! grinning smileydrinking smiley

Then did some quick searching... and after looking it over and reading some background.... LOL!!! smileys with beer AWESOME!!!
I actually like Dylan more than 2 hours ago due to the sheer absolute hilarity of of all of this!

It is very funny.. but subtle... but not subtle... ITS A PRANK BRO! And Bob Dylan and Marty are behind it. It is genius! It blends real music with a fictional verging on spinal tap story of what went on backstage.

I am entertained! I am jamming to the folk music and I laughing out loud! Well done Mr Zimmerman! This is an awesome movie! Its a bunch of fiction... with some truth and good songs mixed in. I love it. I love it more than if it was 100% real.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 14, 2019 11:27

That is funny stuff.....Sharon would have been 17 at the time!......Bob kick's off European tour leg #2 Next Friday!

Date: June 14, 2019 13:08

….glad ya like it Xam …. the live footage
and backstage stuff is cool … but after that I got bored ….

ROCKMAN

Date: June 15, 2019 01:51

Rockman
….glad ya like it Xam …. the live footage
and backstage stuff is cool … but after that I got bored ….
Yeah Rockeeeee, once I realized there was so much kidding going on I thought it was awesome!

It would have been funny to have seen The Stones do something similar, but do it first. It would have been funny to see a concept where the boys kind of make fun of the way people argue online about some things... maybe have the band and fake people (e.g. Jimmy Carter got me tickets)(LOL!!) giving aged film doc looking interviews about various things (the new album, the origin of the tongue, set lists, best period, Taylor, Wyman, the busts, the car crashes, taxes... oh man there are so many things) but it is all kidding around. Take some of what the larping fans do and put it up on screen grinning smiley

But now it would be copying Bob's joke... which would still be funny, but...
I tell ya, Mr Zimmerman's sense of humor about all of this really makes me like a lot. He always seemed so grumpy to me, but to see this humor, it is spectacular. Marty and Bob made a great film.

fwiw- I am a medium Bob fan. Over the years I have seen Bob Dylan in concert several times and it was never correct, which is fine, it is what it is. He and I were simply on different pages, and the fact of the matter is he is correct, after all he is Bob Dylan... but still that one tour when I went to see him play Dylan songs and all he played was VanHalen and Motley Crue covers (rearranged in weird ways) and he had his back to audience most of time and he garbled the lyrics and that hat... it was... it just wasn't satisfying to me... but it is on me. I was wrong. It is all aboot perspective.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 15, 2019 02:16

Xam
Rockman

I was just watching Rolling Thunder... and I was kind of skipping around... I am not the biggest fan of Dylan, but I know a lil... yadda yadda... so I am watching... and at one point even as a "not a huge Dylan fan" I can tell something is WAT? But I ignore it... it OK and I keep on watching. I am enjoying the music and some of the hippy footage and stories... but then...

Then the part with Sharon Stone comes on... and Dylan starts talking about using make up because of KISS... WAT? AND THEN!!! LMAO!!! Dylan asks her to join the tour... and she does... and one day she is ironing Joan's clothes when Dylan calls her out to the hall... cuz he wrote a song about her... and it made Sharon cry... and I said WAT??? pressed pause... and said to the screen NUH-UH!!! grinning smileydrinking smiley

Then did some quick searching... and after looking it over and reading some background.... LOL!!! smileys with beer AWESOME!!!
I actually like Dylan more than 2 hours ago due to the sheer absolute hilarity of of all of this!

It is very funny.. but subtle... but not subtle... ITS A PRANK BRO! And Bob Dylan and Marty are behind it. It is genius! It blends real music with a fictional verging on spinal tap story of what went on backstage.

I am entertained! I am jamming to the folk music and I laughing out loud! Well done Mr Zimmerman! This is an awesome movie! Its a bunch of fiction... with some truth and good songs mixed in. I love it. I love it more than if it was 100% real.

Exactly this! It is brilliant and entertains on so many levels, and the concert footage, the genius at the absolute top of his game! I have a friend that bought in hook, line, & sinker, and thought the movie was as just OK. When he discovered the joke he watched it again and loved it! It is driven by humor that you don’t see if you think it’s a true documentary. Dylan’s comic timing is perfect! This is a classic Rock n Roll movie.

Date: June 15, 2019 03:54

Ross
Exactly this! It is brilliant and entertains on so many levels, and the concert footage, the genius at the absolute top of his game! I have a friend that bought in hook, line, & sinker, and thought the movie was as just OK. When he discovered the joke he watched it again and loved it! It is driven by humor that you don’t see if you think it’s a true documentary. Dylan’s comic timing is perfect! This is a classic Rock n Roll movie.
grinning smiley It is great! I am planning on playing this often for people and see if any of them question a word. My spidey sense was tingling earlier, but when Sharon went into the part where she cried over the song, it was too much, everyone knows she never cries. The genius of this movie is fun. I would love to see a behind the scenes where they are going over the gags and guffawing about it. I bet they were having too much fun.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 15, 2019 08:15

When Nixon says "we act not for ourselves but for all mankind..." That's when I realized it's all a joke..

Date: June 15, 2019 09:07

well the title is ……

Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese

So I guess its a Scorsese fairytale in some ways …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 15, 2019 11:20

Van Halen, motley crue covers ?????????

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 15, 2019 13:08

Whoa, great film.... All this previously unseen footage... all we had for years and years was that bootleg DVD of just the concert footage from "Renaldo & Clara"...
great to see other performaces of Isis & Masterpiece... and the 99% of the songs are COMPLETE, not interrupted after 30 seconds with some nobody telling some boring story, as seen in many other music docs... anyhow... this was such a cool tour. Gonna watch this again tonight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-15 14:11 by Milan.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 16, 2019 08:58

When Mick Ronson started the Rolling Thunder Revue tour, Ian Hunter said to him, ‘What’s it like?’
He said, ‘Oh, it’s all *uckin’ C, F and G, y’know’.”smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 16, 2019 12:36

fantastic film all the way around. dylan at the top of his game, then & now.

Date: June 16, 2019 14:49

I didn't 'get' the joke thing that much; or should say I didn't pay that much attention to it, because what was certainly no joke were the performances. That guy has some charisma; incredible. I like how he is so effortless about accepting his own genius. Like the Iroquois Indian scene.
I kept looking to see if Dylan had a notebook stashed on stage. Those are a lot of words to remember; and each passage haS inflections and accents.
I even liked Joan Baez, Who knew she could dance like that LOL.
Then I spot Ronson.
And I loved the close up of Joni Mithcell doing "Coyote". I can see how men went crazy for her, and bands broke up over her.

Another thing I really liked in the film was the way Dylan constantly bopped kind of. Maybe it was the drugs back then; I don't even know if Dylan did drugs. But I;ve seen Jagger like that too. This constant inner beat going, and they are kind of tapping to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-16 14:55 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: June 16, 2019 17:14

the legend that will last a lunchtime

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home