Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 2, 2018 18:36

windmelody
RollingFreak
GeorgV
Happy24
latebloomer
Bob Dylan 2018 Is One of the Greatest Shows in History of Rock
Master paints new masterpiece every night by revisiting past in new ways.

[www.realclearlife.com]

I like Dylan, but statements like that are total bull..t (in my opinion). I have seen him 5 times since 2005 and I haven't realized any ""new ways." Yes, the old songs sound very different, most people in the audience recognize them only by lyrics (I personally don't see that as an advantage). But the fact is, that all songs (new and old) sound very much the same and they sound pretty much the same year after year. Okay, there are some arrangement differencies, but nothing too dramatic. Since my first Dylan concert in 2005 he still sounds very much the same (to my ears). Yet people go on and on about how he constatnly re-invents himself and his music. Sorry, I can't hear that, I can't see that, maybe it is just me...

Dylan is like that. Either you get him or you don't. My wife doesn't. 30 years ago (when I was young) I could not understand why that man with his nasal voice was so great, but I bought a LP (at Budokan) and realised how good his songs were.

I believe his arrangements differs more over the years than that other band we all know and love...

I get Dylan and I agree with most of what Happy is saying. I enjoy the current shows, but largely he does always sound the same and the arrangements are all relatively similar. Yes, he USED to really switch things up, but nowadays and for the last 10-15 years its hard to say there's been THAT much change. I don't think that really has to do with "getting him" or not. I'm on board with what he does but I agree the constant reinvention thing is a tad overrated.

I do not exactly agree - he had ups and downs, the time around Tempest was full of energy. In 2013 he started playing the same setlists each night, which made the performances more precise, but less spontaneous.

Some songs have been drastically reworked in concert this year: Cry A While is currently played to the music of Link Wray's Rumble, It Takes A Lot To Laugh is played to the main riff from AC/DC's Ride On, he did a reggae version of All Along The Watchtower, Honest With Me has a completely different arrangement, Gotta Serve Somebody has new music and new lyrics and he also did rare cover versions of Moon River and It's A Man's World.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2018 20:06

MrEcho
windmelody
RollingFreak
GeorgV
Happy24
latebloomer
Bob Dylan 2018 Is One of the Greatest Shows in History of Rock
Master paints new masterpiece every night by revisiting past in new ways.

[www.realclearlife.com]

I like Dylan, but statements like that are total bull..t (in my opinion). I have seen him 5 times since 2005 and I haven't realized any ""new ways." Yes, the old songs sound very different, most people in the audience recognize them only by lyrics (I personally don't see that as an advantage). But the fact is, that all songs (new and old) sound very much the same and they sound pretty much the same year after year. Okay, there are some arrangement differencies, but nothing too dramatic. Since my first Dylan concert in 2005 he still sounds very much the same (to my ears). Yet people go on and on about how he constatnly re-invents himself and his music. Sorry, I can't hear that, I can't see that, maybe it is just me...

Dylan is like that. Either you get him or you don't. My wife doesn't. 30 years ago (when I was young) I could not understand why that man with his nasal voice was so great, but I bought a LP (at Budokan) and realised how good his songs were.

I believe his arrangements differs more over the years than that other band we all know and love...

I get Dylan and I agree with most of what Happy is saying. I enjoy the current shows, but largely he does always sound the same and the arrangements are all relatively similar. Yes, he USED to really switch things up, but nowadays and for the last 10-15 years its hard to say there's been THAT much change. I don't think that really has to do with "getting him" or not. I'm on board with what he does but I agree the constant reinvention thing is a tad overrated.

I do not exactly agree - he had ups and downs, the time around Tempest was full of energy. In 2013 he started playing the same setlists each night, which made the performances more precise, but less spontaneous.

Some songs have been drastically reworked in concert this year: Cry A While is currently played to the music of Link Wray's Rumble, It Takes A Lot To Laugh is played to the main riff from AC/DC's Ride On, he did a reggae version of All Along The Watchtower, Honest With Me has a completely different arrangement, Gotta Serve Somebody has new music and new lyrics and he also did rare cover versions of Moon River and It's A Man's World.

Very well spotted! thumbs up

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: December 4, 2018 00:47

video: [www.youtube.com] So you think Neil & Bob will do a song together at Hyde Park? I do. Here is audio from roseland ballroom dylan show 1994. Neil & Bruce S.on guitar at 1:51.doing hwy.61. Whole show was great. Sheryl crow opened-hardly no one knew her. Miss that place bad. Still effing pissed I couldn't get in to see stones in 2002!!! sorry about this having a you tube problem-last letter I put in was an l. coming up a k on you tube -sorry don't know how to delete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 00:59 by mrjones.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 4, 2018 02:42

Roseland Ballroom had some incredible shows. Bowie's playing of all of Low and his new album. AC/DC did a short club tour before they played that Toronto Rocks show with the Stones and the Roseland one was arguably the best. Cool place with a great history.

Back to Bob and Neil, I wouldn't particularly count on it because it doesn't seem like Bob's style AT ALL, but I'm also far from the Dylan expert here. I know when he had Mark Knopfler opening for him Mark came out and played backup on 3 of Dylan's songs during those shows, but it wasn't really the situation where two stars are playing together. Mark was very much the background guy and blended in with Dylan's band, probably as they both wanted. Did Dylan even introduce Mark or did he just walk out and play those songs? I mean Bob once guested with Springsteen at one of his shows but thats like, super rare and it was to middling results, however memorable it was. Regardless, I don't think its any stretch to think Neil would love to do it. He's spoken very highly of Bob and despite basically being the same age as them still seems to have this childlike adoration of Dylan and Paul McCartney that is admirable. I could see him loving it as much as he did playing with Paul at Desert Trip.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 02:43 by RollingFreak.

Date: December 4, 2018 03:09

Good Video. They do have a bit of a history. Recently Neil did say he would like to play with Bob & Willie. I can see them doing a song at Hyde. I know Dylan was picked up by the cops in N.J. while wandering around looking for Bruce's childhood home. I seem to remember him looking at Neil's too?? I think it's gonna happen!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 4, 2018 03:31

Date: December 4, 2018 03:50

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2018 04:04

"I’m listening to Neil Young, I gotta turn up the sound
Someone’s always yelling turn it down..."

- Dylan (Highlands)

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: December 4, 2018 11:35

RollingFreak
Roseland Ballroom had some incredible shows. Bowie's playing of all of Low and his new album. AC/DC did a short club tour before they played that Toronto Rocks show with the Stones and the Roseland one was arguably the best. Cool place with a great history.

Back to Bob and Neil, I wouldn't particularly count on it because it doesn't seem like Bob's style AT ALL, but I'm also far from the Dylan expert here. I know when he had Mark Knopfler opening for him Mark came out and played backup on 3 of Dylan's songs during those shows, but it wasn't really the situation where two stars are playing together. Mark was very much the background guy and blended in with Dylan's band, probably as they both wanted. Did Dylan even introduce Mark or did he just walk out and play those songs? I mean Bob once guested with Springsteen at one of his shows but thats like, super rare and it was to middling results, however memorable it was. Regardless, I don't think its any stretch to think Neil would love to do it. He's spoken very highly of Bob and despite basically being the same age as them still seems to have this childlike adoration of Dylan and Paul McCartney that is admirable. I could see him loving it as much as he did playing with Paul at Desert Trip.

[www.youtube.com]

That sounds reasonable. Neil would probably be up to it but I reckon Dylan rarely follows what people expect/hope for...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2018 12:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 4, 2018 22:00

wonder why guitarist Stu Kimball is no longer in Dylan's band?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 4, 2018 22:11

"Unpremeditated art"... beautiful!

Date: December 6, 2018 04:49

mrjones
Here is Ringo & brother in-law Joe Walsh talking about the Dylan show they saw at the beacon. Funny stuff. I'm not a big Howard Stern fan though.video: [www.youtube.com]
Hey maybe Ringo will do a song with Dylan at Hyde Park? The way he's talking here sounds like he would parachute into Hyde on a moments notice!!!

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: December 13, 2018 15:34

Bob Dylan Prague April 7th,8th,9th At Lucerna Big Hall a top class Theater ..Tickets on sale Friday this at 9am CET Time...Old school Go to the ticket outlet pick my tickets and return home....Sweet

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 13, 2018 17:20

Posted yesterday by Kanye West on Twitter..

kanyewest
19h19 hours ago

"Calling out to Bob Dylan Let’s get together"

Date: December 13, 2018 18:14

MisterDDDD
Posted yesterday by Kanye West on Twitter..

kanyewest
19h19 hours ago

"Calling out to Bob Dylan Let’s get together"

I love Kanye he's one of the funniest people out there. I'm not a fan of his music but he still makes me laugh from the stuff he does.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 14, 2018 11:00

SPRING-Tour in Europe!! - just announced: 3 shows in Prague (7/8/9 April) and one show in Augsburg/Germany 20. April

more to come

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 11:00 by slewan.

Date: December 14, 2018 11:36

9 shows in Germany:
31.3. Düsseldorf
2.4. Würzburg
4.4. Berlin
5.4. Magdeburg
20.4 Augsburg

5.7. Hamburg
6.7. Braunschweig
7.7. Mainz
10.7.Stuttgart (JazzOpen)

(all arena shows except for Mainz and Stuttgart which are open air)

tickets will go on sale tomorrow

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 15, 2018 01:00

how do you figure out if your deluxe edition of 'more blood...' is missing the four pages of the red notepad?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2018 04:53

sundevil
how do you figure out if your deluxe edition of 'more blood...' is missing the four pages of the red notepad?

I think the pages 8-11 are missing. At least that's what it looks like, according to the PDF pages that were uploaded on Dylan's website.

Date: December 17, 2018 13:33

more shows in Spring have been announced: 3x Paris, 2x Vienna

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 17, 2018 14:01

slewan
more shows in Spring have been announced: 3x Paris, 2x Vienna

Also a show in Innsbruck Austria on April 19th

Nate

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 17, 2018 14:20

This one I didn't know until today...produced by John and Yoko:

David Peel - The Ballad of Bob Dylan

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 18, 2018 03:18

Cristiano Radtke
sundevil

I think the pages 8-11 are missing. At least that's what it looks like, according to the PDF pages that were uploaded on Dylan's website.

okay, thanks. think i got the missing pages, so is that more valuable? the other mystery is; disc 5 it ends with "you're a big girl" remake ? take 1. disc six starts with "you're a big girl" remake? take 3-6. what happened to take 2? also, i know it's natural to mention mick, but really it's oversold. it would have been better as a surprise.

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: December 18, 2018 12:55

Vienna Konzerthaus (where the New Year's Concert takes place) should be a nice setting for Dylan. But still not sure if it's worth 155-205€...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 18, 2018 20:04

Nellcote1971
Vienna Konzerthaus (where the New Year's Concert takes place) should be a nice setting for Dylan. But still not sure if it's worth 155-205€...

Just saw Bob in October.

It's worth it.

Date: December 18, 2018 21:40

loog droog
Nellcote1971

Just saw Bob in October.

It's worth it.

sure it is. But be wise: the ticket prices for the shows at Vienna are by far the highest on this tour. Innsbruck is half the price, Prague 22% lower, Berlin 25% etc.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2018 10:30

Nellcote1971

Sure it is!
Bob will cover Radetzky's march at that show only! grinning smiley With a harp solo!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 19, 2018 11:27

dcba
Nellcote1971

Sure it is!
Bob will cover Radetzky's march at that show only! grinning smiley With a harp solo!

I will have to listen to that!

Date: December 19, 2018 13:58

tickets for Bob's 3show-run at the Grand Rex in Paris were quite affordable. But most of the good seats are gone by now

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home