Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2018 02:43

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 30, 2018 05:16

I think it's extraordinary that he ended the recent set posted (ty for that)
w Serve Somebody; at least it is significant for me as a fan who loves that song; and also others of that period; some just released rather recently, like "making a liar out of me" (that's not the exact title but close, forgive me), that I only just heard pretty recently; and hadn't been released.
They are from songs recorded at his own 8 track Rundown Studios, a sort of hide-out back then in that particular neighborhood near 40 years ago). It was widely considerd his Christian Period; tho he didn't refer to those 3 particular earliest 80 LP's (starting with "Saved" LP) like that himself.
It's astounding stuff imo, and the singers and band at the time were very exciting and it was an altogether stunning amalgamation imo.
anyway; cool he ended the set with Serve Somebody.
I've some live versions co-current with this release, including live TV performances, that are stunning...
is this rare for him? to use that song in the set?
is it a departure; or something he throws in now and again?
Was this really significant choice or one of the ones he rotates in now and again? if anybody here knows or cares to tell, ty.
some pretty cool stuff was released just recently; when I first
was exposed to it I rushed here with a lind for 'making a liar...'
i'll look for it and add it here when i can....
sorry not to have better or more up to date info on this...

...also, i've heard alternate 'blood on the tracks' tracks from entirely
different sessions; acoutic and extremely well recorded; warm and hissing
and sorrowful and every bit, i mean every bit and maybe more; of the
impactful soul of the actual (deservedly) classic original official release.

Dylan is the gift that keeps on giving; it'll take a team of anthropologists
fighting a teams of cultural historians, for all time unto the End of the World (hats off to Timo Yuro) as we know it (and I feel fine Hats off to Michael
Stipe of REM fame).....to come up with a representative 25 or 50 song compilation; that will be aruged over forever....

i hope he wins another Pulitzer this year; made last Christmas sweet, so let's repeet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 05:19 by hopkins.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 30, 2018 05:22

hopkins
is this rare for him? to use that song in the set?
is it a departure; or something he throws in now and again?
Was this really significant choice or one of the ones he rotates in now and again? if anybody here knows or cares to tell, ty.

Its been played less than 10 times since 2002, and this was the first time it had been played in almost a decade I believe.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 30, 2018 05:51

whoa!
thank you very much for that info! really appreciate it. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 05:52 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2018 06:19

I remember when Serve Somebody was a "hit" being played on the local rock radio stations which coincided with my first time seeing him at the Santa Monica Civic for the Slow Train Coming Tour.
I've mentioned this tidbit before, but my brother and I were 5th row center and lo and behold sitting right next to us was Ronnie Wood!
Can't be sure, but of the dozens of times I've seen him since then, that might have been the only time I've ever heard him play Serve Somebody.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2018 14:36

Seemingly Zimmy does more numbers than The Stones do nowadays. Not that quantity matters to me but in the past - not so long time ago - Bob's sets tended to be shorter than the Stones ones.

Yeah, a cool set indeed. Just realized that it's been four years I saw him last time. I hope he gets his band a bit closer to my world, so I can get a new fix... The rotation isn't really his kinda thing anymore (compared to the past) - about a half of the set is similar than I saw him last time around - but I don't really mind. The way he re-creates the song every night here and now is just so phenomenal. It's like wittnessing an art to be created in the very front of you eyes. I have sometimes tried to figure it out how is he able to do that - like putting your whole persona, fragility and competence on fire on every night, with no safe belts - but all I can think is that it is what he does - that makes him 'click' - his whole being comes into total existence during those two hours or so on stage. That he has an incredible band to follow the master's cues and restless mind helps for sure.

There is a certain freshness hearing a not so much played song for sure, but I have especially liked the way he digs 'deeper' the songs he plays every night - like discovering some new nuances and potentialities to be found in there. This especially works for his latter-day songs (the treatment of older songs is a threat of its own..). For example, I have found the live versions of, say, TEMPEST songs, more stronger and interesting than the original studio ones (or to put it this way, through the live versions I started to hear the greatness I didn't realized there in the first place).

This reminds me of Keith describing him and Mick watching Bobby to play in that huge dusty Coachella festival or whatever it was some years ago. Both were impressed and Keith said to Mick something to effect 'look, that's how it also can be done.." Mick didn't get a hint it seems.... But I guess there is no point in making too many comparisions between a Dylan concert and a Stones show - they are so different animals and both great by their own merits - good to have both!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 14:38 by Doxa.

Date: July 30, 2018 14:43

slewan
Cristiano Radtke
mikey C
Bob in Seoul Tonight....

From Expecting Rain:

1. Things Have Changed
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Simple Twist Of Fate
5. Duquesne Whistle
6. Honest With Me
7. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
8. Pay In Blood
9. Make You Feel My Love
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. Early Roman Kings
12. Desolation Row
13. Love Sick
14. Autumn Leaves (song by Jacques Prévert)
15. Thunder On The Mountain
16. Soon After Midnight
17. Gotta Serve Somebody (First performance since Taipei, Taiwan, April 3, 2011)
(encore)
18. Blowin' In The Wind
19. Ballad Of A Thin Man

This setlist seems to be wrong. The correct one seems to be => [www.boblinks.com] (see also: [expectingrain.com]

One song was wrong?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 30, 2018 16:03

DandelionPowderman
slewan
Cristiano Radtke
mikey C
Bob in Seoul Tonight....

From Expecting Rain:

1. Things Have Changed
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Simple Twist Of Fate
5. Duquesne Whistle
6. Honest With Me
8. Pay In Blood
9. Make You Feel My Love
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. Early Roman Kings
12. Desolation Row
13. Love Sick
16. Soon After Midnight
17. Gotta Serve Somebody (First performance since Taipei, Taiwan, April 3, 2011)
(encore)
18. Blowin' In The Wind
19. Ballad Of A Thin Man

This setlist seems to be wrong. The correct one seems to be => [www.boblinks.com] (see also: [expectingrain.com]

One song was wrong?

no, the point is that 2 out or the three surpirse songs (not being performed for some or even some more years) were missing: All The Watchtower, When I Paint My Masterpiece and Gotta Serve Somebody.

Date: July 30, 2018 16:15

slewan
DandelionPowderman
slewan
Cristiano Radtke
mikey C
Bob in Seoul Tonight....

From Expecting Rain:

1. Things Have Changed
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Simple Twist Of Fate
5. Duquesne Whistle
6. Honest With Me
8. Pay In Blood
9. Make You Feel My Love
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. Early Roman Kings
12. Desolation Row
13. Love Sick
16. Soon After Midnight
(encore)
18. Blowin' In The Wind
19. Ballad Of A Thin Man

One song was wrong?

no, the point is that 2 out or the three surpirse songs (not being performed for some or even some more years) were missing: All The Watchtower, When I Paint My Masterpiece and Gotta Serve Somebody.

OK, thanks.

Date: August 1, 2018 01:40

Rod Stewart with Michael Bonner

UNCUT 256 --
September 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: August 1, 2018 01:58

Wow he's one to talk.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2018 02:24

Honestly, I never listened to that easy-listening muzak Rod Stewart's 'great American song book' stuff or whataever that crap is, and I don't much care about Frank Sinatra, but I did listen to Zimmy's interpretation of that stuff. And I did like it. Make me even try to reach the originals and hear the greatness in there.

So my point: go and @#$%& yourself Rod! You never been any Mick Jagger in the first place.

- Doxa

Date: August 1, 2018 03:05

hic!!!....

UNCUT 256 -- September 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 1, 2018 03:34

Doxa
Honestly, I never listened to that easy-listening muzak Rod Stewart's 'great American song book' stuff or whataever that crap is, and I don't much care about Frank Sinatra, but I did listen to Zimmy's interpretation of that stuff. And I did like it. Make me even try to reach the originals and hear the greatness in there.

So my point: go and @#$%& yourself Rod! You never been any Mick Jagger in the first place.

- Doxa
Couldn't agree more. Did see him in Hawaii 1975. Good show-had somebody in the band named Woodie.

Date: August 1, 2018 15:03

Yeah Rod can suck a big fat dick. Love the guy, and in the 70s he was the absolute tops. But Rod's gone downhill ever since so for him to judge anyone else is completely ridiculous. His career has been a laughable shadow of what it once was for 30 years now. He was insanely great with the Faces and his first 4 or so solo albums, but don't get it twisted that a lot of that was due to other people. Talented man, but for Rod to say he's had a laugh about anyone's music when a large part of serious music fans have been laughing at Rod for the last 30 years is the definition of ironic.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 1, 2018 22:58

RollingFreak
Yeah Rod can suck a big fat dick. Love the guy, and in the 70s he was the absolute tops. But Rod's gone downhill ever since so for him to judge anyone else is completely ridiculous. His career has been a laughable shadow of what it once was for 30 years now. He was insanely great with the Faces and his first 4 or so solo albums, but don't get it twisted that a lot of that was due to other people. Talented man, but for Rod to say he's had a laugh about anyone's music when a large part of serious music fans have been laughing at Rod for the last 30 years is the definition of ironic.

Well, you could say there is no accounting for taste.....BUT didn't his last album of original material top the album's chart?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 2, 2018 23:06

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 3, 2018 02:03

Rockman

Rod Stewart with Michael Bonner

UNCUT 256 --
September 2018

All through the years, I’ve heard these [standard] songs being recorded by other people and I’ve always wanted to do that. And I wondered if anybody else saw it the way I did. I was looking forward to hearing Rod [Stewart]’s records of standards. I thought if anybody could bring something different to these songs, Rod certainly could. But the records were disappointing. Rod’s a great singer. He’s got a great voice, but there’s no point to put a 30-piece orchestra behind him. I’m not going to knock anybody’s right to make a living but you can always tell if somebody’s heart and soul is into something, and I didn’t think Rod was into it in that way. It sounds like so many records where the vocals are overdubbed and these kind of songs don’t come off well if you use modern recording techniques.

(Bob Dylan, AARP Interview, February 2015)

Date: August 3, 2018 02:43

Looks like there might be a bit of a verbal shoot-out goin on …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 3, 2018 14:50

Granted Bob recorded the song-book stuff a la Willie Nelson's Stardust album.

However, while his vocals improved on the song-book sessions, i.e Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplicate, he hasn't released a self-composed album since 2012, with Tempest. Isn't it about time he made one ?

Date: August 3, 2018 15:03

tomcasagranda

However, while his vocals improved on the song-book sessions, i.e Shadows In The Night, Fallen Angels, Triplicate, he hasn't released a self-composed album since 2012, with Tempest. Isn't it about time he made one ?

Hasn't he made enough incredible records? Including the last one Tempest? It'd be great to get a new Dylan record, and I'm sure at some point its coming. But he's been so consistent the last 20 years and the last record was SO good that its hard for me to beg him back into the studio. If anyone's given us enough, its him.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 3, 2018 16:30

RollingFreak
tomcasagranda

Hasn't he made enough incredible records? Including the last one Tempest? It'd be great to get a new Dylan record, and I'm sure at some point its coming. But he's been so consistent the last 20 years and the last record was SO good that its hard for me to beg him back into the studio. If anyone's given us enough, its him.
True - "Tempest" has a quality of its own. It will be hard to record a new album on the same level. And the Nobel Prize makes it more tempting.

Date: August 3, 2018 20:23

four new shows announced – East coast in early November
=> [www.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 6, 2018 21:19

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
This was posted and quickly deleted from a Twitter account. Some user captured the photo and reposted it:

[twitter.com]

Exciting - wish I could read those notes....maybe contents of deluxe edition?
Or maybe a copy of original handwritten lyrics?

"For years, Bob Dylan scholars have whispered about a tiny notebook, seen by only a few, in which the master labored over the lyrics to his classic 1975 album “Blood on the Tracks.” Rolling Stone once called it “the Maltese Falcon of Dylanology” for its promise as an interpretive key.

But that notebook, it turns out, is part of a trinity. Sitting in climate-controlled storage in a museum here are two more “Blood on the Tracks” notebooks — unknown to anyone outside of Mr. Dylan’s closest circle — whose pages of microscopic script reveal even more about how Mr. Dylan wrote some of his most famous songs."

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: August 6, 2018 21:32

Thanks Cristiano - that's incredible! thumbs up

Date: August 6, 2018 22:11

complete dates for the US fall tour (Oct 4 - Nov 11) have been just announced
[www.bobdylan.com]

Date: August 7, 2018 00:44

slewan
[www.bobdylan.com]

Complete dates?

None yet listed for California, with Phoenix AZ being the closest dang it.
High time he comes back here as it's been a couple of years - the Santa Barbara Bowl w/Mavis Staples (what a great show), and then the Desert Trip shows.

"Watch this page on bobdylan.com for updates. All information is subject to change".

Hoping for a few west coast shows - come on Bob! thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 7, 2018 00:52

slewan
=> [www.bobdylan.com]

That's 70 dates this year, then.
Keep it rolling, Bob.

Date: August 7, 2018 02:30

jlowe
slewan
=> [www.bobdylan.com]

That's 70 dates this year, then.
Keep it rolling, Bob.

At 77 years old. Can't imagine when he'll stop. Best to devour him while we can.

Date: August 7, 2018 12:59

Hairball
slewan
[www.bobdylan.com]

Complete dates?

None yet listed for California, with Phoenix AZ being the closest dang it.
High time he comes back here as it's been a couple of years - the Santa Barbara Bowl w/Mavis Staples (what a great show), and then the Desert Trip shows.

"Watch this page on bobdylan.com for updates. All information is subject to change".

Hoping for a few west coast shows - come on Bob! thumbs up

I would not count on that – the US fall tour usually kicks off in early October and runs thru mid November. Thus it's unlikely that more dates will be added (especially not in September). The line "watch this page on bobdylan.com…" is always there…

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home