Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:33

In 1979, Bob Dylan released an album of evangelical songs
under the title "Slow Train Coming," baffling many of his devoted
fans and adoring critics. "Listening to the new Bob Dylan album is
something like being accosted in an airport," grumbled Greil Marcus,
the seminal culture critic. Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards saw
it as an attempt to sell records, calling the proselyting songwriter "the prophet of profit."

[www.chicagotribune.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 30, 2018 17:32

And, as we all know, the Stones of course have never been interested in profit ... winking smiley

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 30, 2018 18:30

Tell Tale Signs.

Once I came across a website that had an incredibly detailed page on the different versions of Tell Tale Signs with photos of every little detail. But I can't seem to find it...

I am sure it was part of a great Dylan site.

Can anyone help me?

How rare is the Tell Tale Signs set with the 3CD's + the 7-inch single?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 30, 2018 18:57

frenki09
Tell Tale Signs.

Once I came across a website that had an incredibly detailed page on the different versions of Tell Tale Signs with photos of every little detail. But I can't seem to find it...

Can anyone help me?

It´s all in here: [en.wikipedia.org]

Btw: TTS is fantastic!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:00

frenki09
Tell Tale Signs.

Can anyone help me?

[www.searchingforagem.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:11

Rank Stranger
frenki09
Tell Tale Signs.

Can anyone help me?

[www.searchingforagem.com]

Wow...smoking smiley

Date: April 30, 2018 19:26

Rank Stranger! Thanks! Yes! That's the site I was looking for! Cheers!

TooTough! Yes! TTS is amazing. By far the best in the Bootleg Series. The Basement Tapes are a close second! You gotta own the 3CD TTS! Every track is a gem.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:34

TooTough
frenki09
Tell Tale Signs.

Can anyone help me?

Yes, there is some greatness on the release.

- Alternate versions of Most of the Time.
- Alternate versions of Mississippi
- Unreleased Marchin' to the City (two versions)
- Cross the Green Mountain
- Dignity (piano demo)

...and everything else....thumbs up

As mentioned in article though, the three-cd version was bit hefty in price (understatement), but with so much quality packed in to the box it was well worth it.
I bought the exclusive Deluxe direct from BobDylan.com which also included a poster and a 7"single.

Been awhile since I listened to all of it start to finish, but going on a mini-road trip tomorrow to see Neil, and this will make for a nice soundtrack for the drive.

PS - Not sure what site frenki09 is referring to, but might be this one which has massive amounts of detailed info (and pictures smiling smiley).

The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 - Tell Tale Signs: Rare And Unreleased 1989-2006

Date: April 30, 2018 19:46

Hairball
TooTough
frenki09
Tell Tale Signs.

Can anyone help me?

Yes, there is some greatness on the release.

- Alternate versions of Most of the Time.
- Alternate versions of Mississippi
- Unreleased Marchin' to the City (two versions)
- Cross the Green Mountain
- Dignity (piano demo)

...and everything else....thumbs up

As mentioned in article though, the three-cd version was bit hefty in price (understatement), but with so much quality packed in to the box it was well worth it.
I bought the exclusive Deluxe direct from BobDylan.com which also included a poster and a 7"single.

Been awhile since I listened to all of it start to finish, but going on a mini-road trip tomorrow to see Neil, and this will make for a nice soundtrack for the drive.

PS - Not sure what site frenki09 is referring to, but might be this one which has massive amounts of detailed info (and pictures smiling smiley).

The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 - Tell Tale Signs: Rare And Unreleased 1989-2006

Yes, Hairball, that's the site I was looking for! What an amazing work collecting all the different releases out there! And yes, this would be to perfect soundtrack from start to finish during your ride to see Neil. There's not a bad track here! It was an expensive, overpriced set, that's for sure! But when I think of how much we spend on pizza and food that isn't a lasting experience, then the money for a CD-set like TTS isn't that much, and it'll stay with you forever, and won't end up in the toilet... Time for a diet!
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 19:47 by frenki09.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2018 23:42

Couldn't wait until tomorrow frenki09, so popped cd 1 in my car stereo and have been floating around town listening to the goldmine!
Wow what a great collection...been awhile...like a long lost friend....listened for months on end when released...thanks for reminding me....masterpiece. smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 1, 2018 19:44

Rockman

Never realised that Slim Harpo and Donald Trump had something in common!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 7, 2018 17:30

An interesting link regarding Mister Dylan's latest enterprise.

[whiskycast.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2018 19:38

Well, The Swedish Academy is in shambles. The Permanent Secretary Sara Danius has left. It all followed from the #Metoo-movement. There is an ongoing police investigation.
You have to remember this is an institution established in 1786. I already had my doubts when Bob Dylan recieved the prize last year. He didn't even bother to go.
But he kept the money, of course. His nomination was disputed. To say the least. To me it was a joke.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 7, 2018 19:53

Stoneage
Well, The Swedish Academy is in shambles. The Permanent Secretary Sara Danius has left. It all followed from the #Metoo-movement. There is an ongoing police investigation.
You have to remember this is an institution established in 1786. I already had my doubts when Bob Dylan recieved the prize last year. He didn't even bother to go.
But he kept the money, of course. His nomination was disputed. To say the least. To me it was a joke.

lots of nomination were disputed before – Dario Fo (a clown), Samuel Beckett (okay, but why not Joyce), Heinrich Böll (Grass is the much better writer), Herman Hesse (a laugh!), just to name a few.
Bob Dylan – whatever you think about the Nobel prize – is most likely the most influential living poet…

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2018 21:36

Sure Slewan. I think His Bobness was a backlash for them though. Sara Danius represented the young (well those born in the 40s and younger) and she invested a lot in Dylan. The fact that His Bobness didn't bother to come (and even didn't bother to make the obligatory speech) didn't go down well. What was intended to spread some glamour and "cred" on the old institution worked the other way around.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 7, 2018 23:08

Yeah, maybe if they gave it to Leonard Cohen instead; you can bet the old Zen Master would've at least give one cool speech, like this one, right?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-07 23:10 by Milan.

Date: May 8, 2018 00:04

Bob actually gave the speech – but about a year earlier when he was awarded with the MusiCares prize… When he gave that speech I my first thought that that could have been the Nobel prize speech.

I'm still puzzled by the fact that he didn't show up for the ceremony – very bad behavior. And I don't understand it either. For many years he has been trying to gain controll over the interpretation of his work/life/legacy/etc (interview for 60 minutes, Chronicals vol. 1, No Direction Home movie, the MusiCares speech etc) – and then he misses out the Nobel prize speech…?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 8, 2018 00:20

slewan
Bob actually gave the speech – but about a year earlier when he was awarded with the MusiCares prize… When he gave that speech I my first thought that that could have been the Nobel prize speech.

I'm still puzzled by the fact that he didn't show up for the ceremony – very bad behavior. And I don't understand it either. For many years he has been trying to gain controll over the interpretation of his work/life/legacy/etc (interview for 60 minutes, Chronicals vol. 1, No Direction Home movie, the MusiCares speech etc) – and then he misses out the Nobel Prize speech…?
I aggre with you, slewan. I do not understand his behavior.His speech at the MusiCares prize was an obvious application for the Nobel Prize. I love the album "Tempest", but not the title track. This song sounds like a failed application, somebody wants to prove his capability of writing long texts with lots of metaphors and allegories. I have heard Dylan live several times, I had great moments because of his art. But when he said that he continued Shakespeare's legacy, I could not help but laugh - he must have wanted the Nobel Prize so bad.

Date: May 8, 2018 00:39

windmelody
slewan

I'm still puzzled by the fact that he didn't show up for the ceremony – very bad behavior. And I don't understand it either. For many years he has been trying to gain controll over the interpretation of his work/life/legacy/etc (interview for 60 minutes, Chronicals vol. 1, No Direction Home movie, the MusiCares speech etc) – and then he misses out the Nobel Prize speech…?
I aggre with you, slewan. I do not understand his behavior.His speech at the MusiCares prize was an obvious application for the Nobel Prize. I love the album "Tempest", but not the title track. This song sounds like a failed application, somebody wants to prove his capability of writing long texts with lots of metaphors and allegories. I have heard Dylan live several times, I had great moments because of his art. But when he said that he continued Shakespeare's legacy, I could not help but laugh - he must have wanted the Nobel Prize so bad.

I rather think that he didn't want the nobel prize at all. If he had really wanted it his rection would have been quite different.

btw: I think Tempest is a great song. The way he turns a simple shipwreck into some kind of reflection of the metaphysical condition and tragedy of mankind ('The wizard's curse played on' etc)
They waited at the landing
And they tried to understand
But there is no understanding
For the judgment of God's hand

– it's just great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 00:39 by slewan.

Date: May 8, 2018 00:49

I rather think that he didn't want the nobel prize at all

Then why take the $$$$$$$$$ ??????????

ROCKMAN

Date: May 8, 2018 00:51

Rockman
I rather think that he didn't want the nobel prize at all

Then why take the $$$$$$$$$ ??????????

why not? if the money's offered to you…

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 8, 2018 00:53

slewan
windmelody
slewan

I rather think that he didn't want the nobel prize at all. If he had really wanted it his rection would have been quite different.

btw: I think Tempest is a great song. The way he turns a simple shipwreck into some kind of reflection of the metaphysical condition and tragedy of mankind ('The wizard's curse played on' etc)
They waited at the landing
And they tried to understand
But there is no understanding
For the judgment of God's hand

– it's just great
"There are no mistakes in life, some people say/ and it's true sometimes, you can see it that way"

Date: May 8, 2018 00:56

why not? if the money's offered to you…

.... hhhaaaa come on I've heard that one so many times from Dylan worshippers

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 00:57 by Rockman.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 8, 2018 01:07

Yo Rockman... he's got plenty money, man -- [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 8, 2018 01:10

.... hhhaaaa hey that's a goodun Milan ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: May 8, 2018 02:00

slewan

I'm still puzzled by the fact that he didn't show up for the ceremony – very bad behavior. And I don't understand it either. For many years he has been trying to gain controll over the interpretation of his work/life/legacy/etc (interview for 60 minutes, Chronicals vol. 1, No Direction Home movie, the MusiCares speech etc) – and then he misses out the Nobel prize speech…?

Dylan put those Nobel committee clowns in their place, by not jumping through their hoops. Look at how disgracefully the committee imploded over the last few weeks. Dylan's instinct was right. Those people did not deserve his presence.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 8, 2018 04:43

Milan
Yeah, maybe if they gave it to Leonard Cohen instead; you can bet the old Zen Master would've at least give one cool speech, like this one, right?

[www.youtube.com]

yeh i'm a sucker for this stuff for sure.
he tells the story of picking up his guitar the night before,
referring to it casually as a 'living tree' and etc...
Love Lenoard so much.
"Everybody Knows," gosh; so much of it was stunning.
and how very, very few; in any genre, keep creating anew,
and meaningfully anew imo, material into theri fifties sixties and seventies....
...his albums sound cutting-edge in production this last long period,
generally speaking, to me anyway...
...electronica. drum machines....programming little keyboards
and coasting his rap on top of it like other hip hop artists haha; Lenoard.

.....his perception and awareness never diminishing in the cliche of oldsters
getting soft in the noggin;

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 8, 2018 05:05

Those things are always quid pro quo. I'm guessing Bob's real Swedish fans aren't upset with him, tho the vocal critiques will be more distributed and colorful; passionate...

....others probs just be proud he was chosen; whatever the private systemic thing is
with this, or any, committee...
....i guess i commented on this post months ago; but my opinion
remains that I'm sort of happy he gets any recognition at all anytime,
just because I think his work is that enriching and beautiful and sometimes
courageous; and if it leads people to experiencing him in 'real time' performance
on a record; well I think that's a good thing for the any country personally.

he handled it exactly dylan did he not? he was polite, thankful; gave an immediate
gracious short note.....he never slurred or disrepspected it in comment;
and to suppose his failure to show during that time, on a work break between
International tours in the holiday season with all those kids and grand-kids,
well I don't even know for sure if that came into it,
but you know what I mean some of you do you not?
wtf, he's not a trained chimp; get someone else who is not going to think it
and over-think it; send a friend in an attempt to maybe open up others to poetry; or not; who knows for sure.
i loved that pic; i think i posted a link at the time.
of him kind of sneaking into the back door, off a Loading Dock...
you just get the back of his jacket in the picture as he's walking
in there to do the bit and then move on down the line;
i ain't second guessing an acrobat that works with no net and is still on his feet 60 years later.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 11, 2018 23:47

Dylan will play at the Hong Kong convention centre Saturday August 4th and the Star theatre in Singapore Monday August 6th.

Nate

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 12, 2018 05:29

video: [www.youtube.com] BobbyD & girl in short red jumper #12&35

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home