Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 19, 2017 19:45

The show in Buffalo last night was pretty good. I would like to see him mine his back catalogue a little more than he has recently, but the band was tight as ever and his singing has really improved at least in terms of coherence.

This was the second show I've seen since the Sinatra songs started featuring prominently in his sets. I must say, his interest in these old standards might be the best thing that could have happened for him at this stage of his career. I think the respect that he has for these songs, and his desire to do right by them, has made him a much better singer than he has been in a long time.

I've been to about 20 Dylan shows since 1994. From 1994 - 2003 I really couldn't get enough live Dylan but for several years following I found him to be increasingly disengaged in his performance and at one show in particular during the Americanarama tour he was basically incoherent. I'm thrilled to see him back in fine form and am hopeful that he'll be mixing up his setlists a bit more going forward.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 19:47 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 20, 2017 02:12

Thats really awesome to hear. Been avoiding seeing him for years and finally taking the plunge next week at the Beacon. Good to hear from a longtime Dylan concertgoer that this is about as good as I can get at this point. I'm really excited.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:22

JimmyTheSaint
The show in Buffalo last night was pretty good. I would like to see him mine his back catalogue a little more than he has recently, but the band was tight as ever and his singing has really improved at least in terms of coherence.

This was the second show I've seen since the Sinatra songs started featuring prominently in his sets. I must say, his interest in these old standards might be the best thing that could have happened for him at this stage of his career. I think the respect that he has for these songs, and his desire to do right by them, has made him a much better singer than he has been in a long time.

I've been to about 20 Dylan shows since 1994. From 1994 - 2003 I really couldn't get enough live Dylan but for several years following I found him to be increasingly disengaged in his performance and at one show in particular during the Americanarama tour he was basically incoherent. I'm thrilled to see him back in fine form and am hopeful that he'll be mixing up his setlists a bit more going forward.

Along with the incoherency, there was a spell when his vocals sounded like he had horrible laryngitis and was gargling with gravel and shards of glass to help remedy it. It was a croaky almost whisper-like grunting that was difficult to appreciate - best I can describe it as almost sounding like Froggy from the old Little Rascals. But that's old news as he's been sounding great the last few years. thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 20, 2017 10:56

Hairball
JimmyTheSaint

Along with the incoherency, there was a spell when his vocals sounded like he had horrible laryngitis and was gargling with gravel and shards of glass to help remedy it. It was a croaky almost whisper-like grunting that was difficult to appreciate - best I can describe it as almost sounding like Froggy from the old Little Rascals. But that's old news as he's been sounding great the last few years. thumbs up

Voice 'great'?
Not if you read some reviews. It's all relative, I guess however.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 20, 2017 16:16

I enjoyed the show in DC last week. His rearrangements are as out there as ever. There was a version of Honest With Me that was based on The Beach Boys' Dance, Dance, Dance.

With Bob, songs never cease to be works in progress. Arrangements, vocal melodies, words all change over time. So his songs continuously evolve, even 55 years after he wrote them (Blowin' in the Wind). I go every year because the process is endlessly fascinating.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2017 14:29

His Bobness played last night at the Beacon Theater in NY and Mavis Staples was the opening act. Somebody you may know was in the audience. grinning smiley

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 23, 2017 19:28

jlowe
Hairball
JimmyTheSaint

Voice 'great'?
Not if you read some reviews. It's all relative, I guess however.

I don't need to read reviews - I've seen him in person several times the last couple years and almost every tour since '79.
There has been a definite improvement compared to some of the previous tours, and his vocals are indeed great.
But if someone doesn't like his voice to begin with, not sure if the term "great" could ever be used.

Cristiano Radtke
His Bobness played last night at the Beacon Theater in NY and Mavis Staples was the opening act. Somebody you may know was in the audience. grinning smiley

[www.instagram.com]

She was the best opener I've ever seen at a Dylan concert - sweet, funny, amazing vocals and stage presence - similar in many ways to Aretha Franklin.
I'd go see Bob again just for the chance to see her!

Date: November 23, 2017 19:45

Phenomenal show last night. Couldn't have enjoyed it more, and I was pretty hesitant and have passed him up for years. Bob sounded FANTASTIC, although as Hairball probably accurately points out, I've always liked Bob and his voice and his abilities as a performer. He's just different, but he's fantastic in his own way and thats not me tooting his horn. He's had some incredibly memorable performances over the years that I don't think anyone can deny.

But the show was great. Vocals high in the mix, sounding very strong (even though I don't have much to go by) and such a strong band. Great mix in the setlist. Honestly better that he picks it, cause I would obviously skew more 60s/70s (and still think that maybe 2 more "classics" would have made the set even more solid), but its really cool to just see him do his thing and go off. The classics were fantastic, the new stuff was really strong, and the Sinatra material worked very well. I didn't have any issues. I got teary eyed during It Ain't Me and rocked out during Highway 61 and Thunder On The Mountain. All in all, an excellent show. Highly recommend and didn't feel forced at all. Dylan still puts on a good show if you're a fan, although I definitely think being at the Beacon helped that a lot.

Would have loved to have seen him talk more (or at all), but again these are just things I think would elevated an already great show. So cool to see Keith there! As we sat there my dad said "damn, imagine seeing the Stones here" and one was in the room! So cool. And Mavis was outstanding. Incredible energy, a great set, and just really wowed the crowd. Everyone was standing and grooving by the end of her set. A solid bonus to the ticket and what a damn good opening set looks like. Her at 78 and him at 76. God damn, bless these people. They seem ageless on stage and I don't say that about everyone.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 25, 2017 15:56

RE the "Gospel box":
is "Let's Keep It Between Us" (a Dylan original played between Nov. and Dec. 1980) on this set?

Date: November 25, 2017 23:53

dcba
RE the "Gospel box":
is "Let's Keep It Between Us" (a Dylan original played between Nov. and Dec. 1980) on this set?
It is not.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:13

dcba
RE the "Gospel box":

The only version I've heard was the one Bonnie Raitt did with Ian McLagan's Bump Band on her Green Light album .

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 26, 2017 13:26

dcba
RE the "Gospel box":

it's very surprising to me that it isn't on that box since the song is listed even on the offical website BobDylan.com including lyrics:
[bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 26, 2017 15:36

OMG......Bob Dylan track

[www.vevo.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2017 01:28

Herald Sun ... 28 November 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2017 04:33

ROCKMAN

Date: December 6, 2017 18:32

more shows for 2018 have been announced – some rather strange places in Germany: [bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 6, 2017 18:54

slewan
more shows for 2018 have been announced – some rather strange places in Germany: [bobdylan.com]

I like the look of the Festspielhaus in Baden Baden

Nate

Date: December 7, 2017 07:19

SOUND of the CITY -- Spring 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: December 7, 2017 11:12

Bob Dylan live 2018 (Germany)

12.04.2018, Neu-Ulm, Ratiopharm Arena
18.04.2018, Leipzig, Arena
19.04.2018, Krefeld, Königpalast
21.04.2018, Bielefeld, Seidensticker Halle
22.04.2018, Nürnberg, Frankenhalle
23.04.2018, Baden-Baden, Festspielhaus

If you register at eventim "ticketalarm" pre-presale starts:
Freitag, den 08.12.2017, um 10 Uhr
[www.eventim.de]

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:04

Spanish dates... Salamanca, Madrid and Barcelona.

March 24 / 31

[www.ticketmaster.es]

Date: December 14, 2017 12:53

Anthony Scaduto, an Early Biographer of Dylan, Dies at 85

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 16, 2017 15:33

I purchased the deluxe box set of Trouble No More, I find it just totally amazing. I ordered from Amazon, so it didn't include the San Diego set.

That set looks awesome! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it anywhere. I love to get informative emails from fellow Bob fans on IORR, my email addy is rossv427@hotmail.com . I appreciate you all!

Thanks!

Ross

Date: December 16, 2017 20:59

Ross
I purchased the deluxe box set of Trouble No More, I find it just totally amazing. I ordered from Amazon, so it didn't include the San Diego set.

That set looks awesome! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it anywhere. I love to get informative emails from fellow Bob fans on IORR, my email addy is rossv427@hotmail.com . I appreciate you all!

Thanks!

Ross

the Dan Diego show is only available if you order the deluxe box direclty through Bobdylan.com (at a very high price)

Date: December 17, 2017 15:02

slewan
Ross

Thanks!

Ross

the Dan Diego show is only available if you order the deluxe box direclty through Bobdylan.com (at a very high price)

Right, thanks! I guess I was being a little too vague.

Usually in these situations the material is available somewhere to be downloaded. Of course, since this is officially released material, it would be bad form to ask someone to send the link to such a download to my email address at rossv427@hotmail.com , even though it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-17 18:49 by Ross.

Date: December 18, 2017 14:08

Ross
slewan
Ross

Thanks!

Ross

Usually in these situations the material is available somewhere to be downloaded. Of course, since this is officially released material, it would be bad form to ask someone to send the link to such a download to my email address at rossv427@hotmail.com , even though it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Did you check your e-mail?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 18, 2017 15:21

Cristiano Radtke
Anthony Scaduto, an Early Biographer of Dylan, Dies at 85

[www.nytimes.com]

Yes, it came out around 1972. Pretty good actually, Dylan co-operated with it to a certain extent.
Scaduto then tried his hand on Mick and the results were less impressive. 'The stoned recollections of Marianne Faithful' is how one reviewer described it.
Dylan must be a much more interesting figure for a serious biographer than Mick.

Date: December 18, 2017 17:11

Cristiano Radtke
Ross
slewan
Ross

Thanks!

Ross

Thanks!

In case you don't mind I'd like to get a similar email, too => stoneshh9917@gmx.de
Taanks

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2017 23:53

Ross
I purchased the deluxe box set of Trouble No More, I ordered from Amazon, so it didn't include the San Diego set.

That set looks awesome!

It is! And I just noticed it is sourced from a SB cassette and it sounds excellent. Imagine what'd happen if a certain band decided to release vintage shows sourced from SB cassettes... Bliss! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 19, 2017 04:07

Cristiano Radtke
Ross
slewan
Ross

Thanks!

Ross

Thanks!

I just did! Thank you, my friend!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 19, 2017 04:20

"Restless Farewell" - Bob Dylan - Live
(Frank Sinatra's 80th Birthday Tribute: 1995)
[www.youtube.com]

Found this recently; duly stunned at the tenderness and intensity of this song, and this performance.
Directly in the eyes of the Chairman of the Board.
For me this was a stunning find I was eager to share.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home